April 20, 2024, 12:01:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 353210 times)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #320 on: December 18, 2009, 09:10:39 PM »

Thanks Northern Rose  Who goes to bed when their spouse is missing?
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #321 on: December 18, 2009, 09:20:58 PM »

Thanks Northern Rose  Who goes to bed when their spouse is missing?

Apparently Josh does.   
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #322 on: December 18, 2009, 09:26:04 PM »

Middle Canyon

From Tooele City’s Main St. turn east onto Vine. Proceed one mile passing Oquirrh Hills 18 hole Golf Course. Continue East. No hook ups or bathrooms available. There are tables and barbecue pits.

30.1 miles est travel time 55 mins.  Drives alone a river and close to a lard and small pond.

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #323 on: December 18, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »

Grantsville Reservoir

Located approx three miles south of Grantsville on a sloping plain east of the Stansbury Mt. foothills. There is no fee at the reservoir.

31.9 miles est travel time 59 minutes.  Yup more water.  In doing this one I noticed that there are old mines around there.  Specifically the Brigham Canyon Mine.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #324 on: December 18, 2009, 09:46:57 PM »

South Willow Canyon

West on Grantsville’s Main St. and turn left onto Mormon Trail Road. Drive four miles west. Upper Narrow can be reserved in advanced at $30.00 for 30 people or $55.00 for up to 50 people. Small groups pay $8.00 per night.

33.9 miles 59 minutes.  Water there as well.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #325 on: December 18, 2009, 11:37:44 PM »

Police serve subpoena at ABC 4 studios

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah (ABC 4 News) - Early Friday evening a detective with the West Valley Police Department served a subpoena to ABC 4 News Director Matt Malyn. The subpoena's language broadly asked for video related to the Susan Powell missing person case. But detectives only seemed interested in one tape containing the original interview with Josh Powell conducted last week on the steps of the Powell family home in West Valley. In fact, police also delivered similar subpoenas at the other TV news organizations in Salt Lake City seeking raw tape of their interviews with Powell.

Police would not say why they want to hear everything Powell said to the media. Powell has been called a "person of interest" in the disappearance of his wife, Susan Powell.

Josh Powell claims he last saw her late Sunday night, December 6. He said she went to bed and he took camping their two young sons -- ages 4 and 2. Susan's family has questioned that story saying Susan was too good a mother to allow the boys to go camping in freezing temperatures as a major winter storm was hitting Northern Utah.

A family friend said she called Josh Powell that next day to ask where he was and to say his wife was missing. He returned home with the children around 5:00 p.m.

Detectives and forensic teams have twice searched the Powell home. The latest search warrant was executed Thursday afternoon. An ABC 4 camera recorded detectives removing something in brown paper sacks, but they would not say what was in those sacks.

On Friday a police spokesman reiterated their desire to question Josh Powell again. But, he said the manner of questioning proposed by Powell's criminal defense attorney is unacceptable. ABC 4 has also learned that Powell was asked to take a polygraph test.

Meanwhile friends of Susan continue to talk to the media. JoVonna Owings and Kiirsi Hellewell both appeared on ABC 4 Friday in an interview with Marti Skold. Though Facebook, Hellewell has assembled a small army of people willing to volunteer to do whatever it takes to find Susan. But for now, there is little for them to do other than pass out flyers and say prayers. With no clues to Susan's whereabouts, at this point a search is impractical.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Police-serve-subpoena-at-ABC-4-studios/49hPU70Ynk2DyPCbEJpQsg.cspx
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #326 on: December 19, 2009, 12:00:12 AM »

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#5872/style=auto&lat=40.815685&lon=-111.654311&z=9&pid=5874/5003/0.6002=
q:west+valley+city+utah:lat:35.9372419489596:long:-75.7101110000013&1.6002=
q:north+carolina:lat:41.3481432647339:long:-82.103720639386&o=&a=0:1&p=c

what if he said i went west, but really went north or east
dont know how many of you, have been to that area around, salt lake
its very unforgiving, even in good weather it would take some heavy
duty searching to find a body. all heavy wilderness, around, salt lake
and the salt lake burbs, within 25 mile, you could get into trouble,in good
weather, im thinking josh knows the area well enough, to.....

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #327 on: December 19, 2009, 09:30:32 AM »

http://connect2utah.com/content/news/story/?cid=67911

Subpoenas, Lack Of Timeline, In Powell Case

Reported by:
Friday, Dec 18, 2009 @07:57pm

WEST VALLEY CITY - Subpoenas have been issued for video of Joshua Powell, since his wife Susan vanished. West Valley Police Captain T. Mc Lachlan said investigators want to hear all the statements Powell has made to the press.

Channel 2 was served late Friday, and in advance of the subpoena, posted an entire interview with Joshua on its website, connect2utah.com.

Joshua has been named a "person of interest" by police in his wife's disappearance. He agreed to provide a DNA sample to investigators, the Powell's home has been searched, as has the family's van.

But as days have dragged on, there has been no sign of Susan.

Friday, 2News asked about a more complete timeline of Joshua's movements when Susan went missing, the period when he said he left the family home around midnight, December 7th, and did not return until roughly 5 pm the same day.

Joshua told reporters and police he went camping in frigid weather with the Powell's two young sons, in a remote area of Tooele County.

But his exact movements during the 17 hour span remain unknown.

"His timeline is still unverified," Capt. Mc Lachlan told 2News Friday, while hinting Powell's lawyer Scott Williams has objected to that line of questioning.

"His attorney has proposed a method of questioning that is totally unacceptable to us," he said.

A message left with Williams' office was not returned.

Meantime, 2News video of a campground, in the area where Joshua said he took his boys, captured the desolate nature of the area. To get there, photographer Jerry Merrick said you must travel more than 20 miles on a dirt road.

A campground visitor register did not have Joshua Powell's signature.

Investigators took police dogs to the area, but it's unknown what, if anything, they found.

2News also asked about whether Joshua Powell made cell phone calls or had financial transactions, during the time he was away from the family home.

Mc Lachlan would not comment, saying those matters were important to the investigation.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #328 on: December 19, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »

He is a freak, I agree, and I would love to know why he felt it necessary to tell the neighbor he needed to buy new clothes and a quilt, was he dropping a hint about a quilt and where his wife is somewhere in a quilt?

Josh enjoys antagonizing people I think he said that to him for a reaction..jmo ..I have a feeling he may have placed Susans body where it will never be found....he reminds to much of Drew Peterson in his own way.

I disagree. IMO, Josh isn't that 'bright'.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #329 on: December 19, 2009, 09:36:37 AM »

I think Susan's body will be found.  Josh is smart but I don't think that smart.  They will find her out in the woods near where they were "camping". 

bump lol Wink

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #330 on: December 19, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »

Friend defends husband of missing Utah woman

SALT LAKE CITY — A friend is speaking out in support of Josh Powell, the man police consider the sole person of interest in the disappearance of his wife.

Wayne Hamberg of Salt Lake City says Josh and Susan Powell had problems like any other couple, but he never saw any signs of domestic violence or serious issues.

He says Josh Powell hired a defense attorney because he "felt so overwhelmed." Hamberg says he does not believe that's an admission of guilt.

Susan Powell has been missing since Dec. 7. Josh Powell says he last saw her early that day when he took their two young sons on a camping trip and left the home.

Meanwhile, two Salt Lake City television stations confirmed that West Valley City police have asked for copies of the stations' interviews with Josh Powell.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jE-50f71E8ypwigW42nKuDx27hxAD9CMISRO0
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #331 on: December 19, 2009, 05:42:02 PM »

TV stations subpoenaed in Susan Powell case

WEST VALLEY CITY — Authorities have requested all video footage of the husband of missing Utahn Susan Powell from local television stations.

West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan declined to elaborate what they're looking for in the footage. Most Salt Lake City-area TV stations received the subpoenas Friday.

Susan Powell was last seen Dec. 6 at her house, 6254 W. Sarah Circle. Her husband, Josh Powell, told police he went camping about midnight that night with his two sons, ages 2 and 4, in a remote part of Tooele County along the Pony Express Trail. He failed to show up to work the next day.

Police have named Josh Powell a person of interest in her disappearance.

McLachlan declined Saturday to discuss the investigation. He confirmed that prosecutors twice filed warrants to search the Powell house, one warrant to search the family's car and one search warrant to obtain DNA from Josh Powell.

Meantime, family members have scheduled a candlelight vigil for Susan Powell in her Tacoma, Wash. area hometown.

The vigil will begin at 7 p.m. Sunday at the Ridgecrest building of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 12407 Military Road East, Puyallup, Wash.

"We invite everyone to join us and request that those in attendance bring a candle or two to light in Susan's behalf," said Shelby Gifford, spokeswoman for Susan Powell's father. "We will be meeting outdoors so we encourage you to dress warmly."

Gifford confirmed Saturday that Susan Powell's father, Chuck Cox, has only spoken to his son-in-law twice since the 28-year-old broker for Wells Fargo Financial went missing — once on the telephone and once in person when Cox flew to Utah to assist in the investigation.

Susan Powell was a devoted mother to her two young sons, and would not intentionally leave the family, Gifford said.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705352732/TV-stations-subpoenaed-in-Susan-Powell-case.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #332 on: December 19, 2009, 05:44:34 PM »

Friend: Joshua Powell 'Emotionally Drained' over Missing Wife

Ten days after his wife, Susan, went missing, Joshua Powell knocked on a friend's door in tears. For the next hour, he sat on Wayne Hamberg's living room sofa, sobbing, but saying nothing about Susan's mysterious disappearance on Dec. 6.

"He was so distressed, so despondent, so overwhelmed," says Powell's friend Wayne Hamberg, who met the 29-year-old Web site programmer about a year ago at a Salt Lake City computer club gathering.

"The reason he's not talking to police is he's just shut down," Hamberg, 49, a software engineer says about Joshua. "He's so emotionally drained and everybody's attacking him, making him out to be a Mark Hacking or a Scott Peterson. The Josh I know is not some kind of evil guy. I don't believe that's he's suicidal or anything like that, but right now, I don't think he's capable of doing much more than tying his own shoelaces."

Powell, whom police consider a person of interest (there have been no suspects named) in the case, has been under intense scrutiny since he told police he went on a midnight LINK "/people/article/0,,20331686,00.html" "desert camping trip"] in freezing conditions with his two sons, ages 2 and 4, on the night Susan Powell was last seen. Thus far, he has refused to retrace his whereabouts or give investigators an in-depth interview about the night's events.

Family Against Him
"I told him Tuesday night, when he came to see me, not to say anything to me about the circumstances, only to talk to his attorney," says Hamberg. "I want to be his friend, not somebody snooping around for a scoop. I'm there to support him and I'd like to think that he's innocent. I'd like to think that of all of my friends."

Hamberg noticed that Powell was thin and pale, as though he hadn't eaten in days. "I offered to make him dinner, but he refused, saying he just had no appetite for food – that it was tasteless," Hamberg says. "I gave him a hug, then he just sat on the couch and cried. He said the only thing keeping him going right now was his two boys. He's latched on to them as his sole mental support because even some of his own family members have turned on him now."

Although Hamberg has never met Susan Powell, he says Joshua talked about her occasionally during their twice-monthly club gatherings. "Usually, when he had something to say, it was nice," he says. "I do know, though, that he thought Susan was overspending. So there were some financial problems. But that happens to a lot of families."

Needs Support
During their visit at Hamberg's house, Joshua Powell told his friend that he'd been fired from his job because of all the bad publicity, and that the only reason he'd hired an attorney was because "he was so overwhelmed and needed some help."

"He didn't feel that anybody was sticking up for him," says Hamberg. "I've never seen a guy look so beaten down and withdrawn. I think the reason he's not commenting is because right now, he's just incapable of it – not because he has something to hide."

Whether Powell had something to do with his wife's disappearance or not, "he needs some emotional support right now and I'm there for him," says Hamberg. "I don't want to think about whether he could have done the unspeakable. I don't even go there. But I'm worried about Josh as a person. He could really use some friends right now."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20332053,00.html
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #333 on: December 19, 2009, 06:03:05 PM »

Friend defends husband of missing Utah woman

SALT LAKE CITY — A friend is speaking out in support of Josh Powell, the man police consider the sole person of interest in the disappearance of his wife.

Wayne Hamberg of Salt Lake City says Josh and Susan Powell had problems like any other couple, but he never saw any signs of domestic violence or serious issues.

He says Josh Powell hired a defense attorney because he "felt so overwhelmed." Hamberg says he does not believe that's an admission of guilt.

Susan Powell has been missing since Dec. 7. Josh Powell says he last saw her early that day when he took their two young sons on a camping trip and left the home.

Meanwhile, two Salt Lake City television stations confirmed that West Valley City police have asked for copies of the stations' interviews with Josh Powell.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jE-50f71E8ypwigW42nKuDx27hxAD9CMISRO0
Thanks, that Wayne guy is making comments defending him on one of the comment sections I have noticed. I thought it was Josh, pretending to be a friend, guess not.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #334 on: December 19, 2009, 10:12:22 PM »

This case is so frustrating.  So many aspects of Josh Powell's story is unbelieveable.  There is no way he lost track of what day it was.  If Susan Powell was alive when he made the decision to leave the home after midnight with his sons for the "camping" trip in below freezing condition ... she would have reminded him that they both had to be at work in a few hours.  In other words ... the "camping" trip would not have happened.

Do those in charge of the investigation belong to the Mormom church?  In the Mormom faith ... what is a woman's role in a marriage?  What consequences are justified if she fails to conform to that role.

If this investigation was being held anywhere but Utah ... I would not have this hinky feeling.

Why was Josh's vehicle returned to him within three days.  Confiscated vehicles in other missing person cases on the SM forum required so much more time for forensic testing?

Also ... I realize that Susan Powell's father is between a rock and a hard place in regards to Josh Powell ... the father of his grandsons.  However ... it is beyond me how Cox can uphold Josh to the extent that he does.  In my opinion ... when all is considered ... it is a  betrayal to his daughter.

Maybe my perspective is all wrong.

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #335 on: December 19, 2009, 10:35:13 PM »

Geraldo is covering this tonight and has the Cox's on.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #336 on: December 19, 2009, 10:42:19 PM »

Nothern Rose

I do not receive the Fox Channel.  Could you please provide an overview.

Thanks

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #337 on: December 19, 2009, 11:13:54 PM »

Nothern Rose

I do not receive the Fox Channel.  Could you please provide an overview.

Thanks

Janet

I caught it over half way in as hubby was going through channels.  What I caught was

Josh is sole person of interest
Police required a judges order for Josh to submit DNA as he refused to do it willingly
Josh declined going out to camping area as well as search for Susan
Chuck Cox is holding out hope that Susan will be found.

Geraldo summed it up as Josh made up the story on the fly as a sane person would not come up with the bull story he did.

I will watch the later broadcast of Geraldo to see what else I may have missed
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #338 on: December 19, 2009, 11:16:50 PM »

I want to add one more thing from Geraldo, they dug into the bankruptcy filing and they found that Josh made very little money in previous years, one year he barely made $3,000.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #339 on: December 19, 2009, 11:20:50 PM »

Police Still Puzzled Over Utah Mom's Disappearance

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Josh Powell says he packed up the family van in the middle of a freezing night on Dec. 7 and took his two young boys on an impromptu camping trip in the snow-covered wilderness. He said his wife stayed home and went to bed. She has not been heard from since. Susan Powell never showed up at her stockbroker job the next morning -- her keys, purse and cell phone all left at home. The husband was a no-show at work as well, saying he lost track of what day it was during the camping excursion.

Police are mystified by Josh Powell's story and have named him as the sole person of interest in his wife's disappearance. Authorities suspect foul play, and they say the husband's reluctance to provide basic information about his whereabouts that night has only fueled their suspicion.

"Usually something will surface within a few hours or a day, and everybody goes home happy and singing Kumbaya," said Tom McLachlan, a police captain in West Valley City, a suburb of Salt Lake City. "On this one, that's not happening, and we're very concerned about that."

Police have twice searched the Powell home and the family van, but have not said what they found. They also took DNA samples from Josh Powell and other unidentified family members. Susan Powell's father said police found a wet spot in the home being dried by two fans, but investigators have declined to comment on that.

Susan Powell's family has spent days giving interviews to media outlets around the country to keep her face in front of the public. Josh Powell, 33, has barely spoken publicly and has hired a criminal defense attorney who often defends high-profile clients. And when he has appeared in public, he often looks haggard and downcast.

Powell's story for the timeline of events the evening of Dec. 7 has baffled authorities.

He said he took the boys, ages 2 and 4, on the camping trip after midnight, even though he had to be at work a few hours later at his trucking company job. He said he forgot what day it was when he went camping because he did not go to church the day before.

Powell said the campsite was in a vast, mountainous area on the Pony Express Trail, making it difficult for authorities to search the area. Police say Powell has not said exactly where on the trail he spent the night in his van, although his attorney said Friday he's never been asked to take police to the site.

His kids never made it to day care that day, prompting workers at the center to call family members asking where the children were.

When he returned home on the evening of Dec. 7, he found his window broken in by police and his 28-year-old wife missing.

Authorities feared the Powells might have been poisoned by carbon monoxide after they all vanished on the same day.

Police have said the couple's 4-year-old told investigators the three did go camping, but police have been unable to verify the trip because the campsite area has been covered in snow.

Family and friends say it would be completely out of character for Susan Powell to wander off without contacting anyone, particularly without her purse, cell phone and keys. Each of those items was found in the Powells' locked home when police entered.

Charles Cox, Susan Powell's father, says it's not uncommon for his daughter and her husband to go to bed late. He also says Josh is known to lose track of time and show up hours late to events.

"He gets lost in what he's doing," he said. "And he would think nothing of, 'Oh, let's go get something.' If he could do something in the middle of the night and thought he'd wanted to do it, he'd do it. Does it doesn't sound totally out there? No, not based on his personality."

However, family and friends have said Susan Powell never would have let her children go camping at that hour.

"We know that Susan is an excellent mother and would not have tolerated her children being taken out of the home after midnight to go camping in dangerously cold conditions," said Shelby Gifford, a family friend who is acting as spokeswoman for Susan Powell's parents.

Gifford's comments about the late-night camping trip hint at what other friends have said -- that Susan and Josh's marriage was strained.

Court records show that the family filed for bankruptcy in 2007. Police have reportedly obtained a notebook or journal from Susan Powell's office that describes an alleged threat made by her husband about a year ago.

"I just know that every family and every couple has stress. I do know that there have been points where she has felt controlled, but I know in the last year, she has kind of freed herself from some of that," said Mindy Guzman, a friend who took some of the last known photos of Susan and Josh at a church breakfast on Dec 5.

Susan Powell went to Mormon services the next day without her husband. That night, she had dinner with family friend JoVonna Owings at the house. Powell disappeared the next day.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-police-puzzled-utah-moms-disappearance,0,3590060.story
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.