April 19, 2024, 05:49:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 353203 times)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #380 on: December 20, 2009, 06:59:34 PM »

Thank-you Janet, I wasn't sure how easy it was to go into Canada, I knew about the extradition and the death penalty having to be taken off the table, just like with Mexico.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #381 on: December 20, 2009, 07:09:01 PM »

It appears that Josh Powell's parents are divorced.  His mother lives in Utah and his father lives in Washington.

Janet

++++

BLOCKED WEBSITE

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:44:20 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #382 on: December 20, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »

Thank-you Janet, I wasn't sure how easy it was to go into Canada, I knew about the extradition and the death penalty having to be taken off the table, just like with Mexico.

You are welcome.

Approximately three times a year you will find this Canadian in the Seattle area.  Depending on washroom and coffee/tea breaks ... it is approximately a 3 1/2 hour drive from the Fraser Valley.

Janet

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #383 on: December 20, 2009, 07:20:42 PM »

Thanks Northern Rose, so he took the kids with him, and how easy is it to cross over into Canada? 
Susan's parents can have a judge draw up emergency, temporary custody papers, and hope they do so immediately. Only problem is what if they don't know where he is with the kids? My biggest fear, is this sick SOB could kill his children and himself.

That thought has crossed my mind too.

Janet

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #384 on: December 20, 2009, 07:30:58 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:44:45 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

_____

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #385 on: December 20, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »

You are welcome.

Approximately three times a year you will find this Canadian in the Seattle area.  Depending on washroom and coffee/tea breaks ... it is approximately a 3 1/2 hour drive from the Fraser Valley.

Janet

Isn't the new law now where you have to have a passport to go into Canada and back to the US? Maybe I have misunderstood that, I thought that is what is needed now.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #386 on: December 20, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

Wouldn't be the first time I have heard a family say something like that, Josh is just Josh. Well that is fine if it is little issues which make him unique, but this guy does not seem to have little issues  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:45:09 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #387 on: December 20, 2009, 08:25:09 PM »

You are welcome.

Janet

I just remembered.  My eldest son who lives in Vancouver Island often takes a passenger ferring from Victoria, BC (Capital) to Seattle.  There is another passenger/car (?) ferry that departs from Victoria to Port Angeles, Washington.  If Josh does not have a vehicle this would probably be his choice of entry into Canada.  A vehicle could be rented in Victoria.

Up until this year ... proof of residency (driver's licence) was all that was required by Americans and Canadians who wished to drive cross the border.  Now passports and birth certificates is where it is at ... unless you are Tamikosmom.  I was on a mission to pick up a newly released book in Bellingham ... a 20 minute drive from the border and ... forgot my documents.  The guard waved me through with only a driver's licence for identification.  I think he though I was going to cry and didn't want to deal with me.

Janet

_____

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #388 on: December 21, 2009, 12:51:34 AM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:45:42 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #389 on: December 21, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »

Thank-you Janet for your answer about passports  Northern Rose, from the latest article you posted.  Susan's mother and father walked by Joshua and did not stop to talk to him.    Josh is lucky that is all they did, not talk to him. They show real class, because I'm afraid my husband and I would not have been so decent.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #390 on: December 21, 2009, 10:05:56 AM »

"One of the biggest problems Susan had was that (Josh) talked to his dad for hours, more than he talked to her," said Tim Peterson, a friend and member of the Powells' ward who has been vocal in the past about Josh Powell and once called police on him.

Joe Trujillo, who talked to Josh Powell often when he would come visit two doors down the street, said Josh told him only a month ago that some family problems stemmed from how busy and active Susan was with her ward, which Josh Powell started attending again a few months ago because of marriage counseling.

"(Josh) mentioned the church was putting a burden on their marriage," Trujillo said.

Other ward members described a similar scenario.

Peterson said he went with the Elders Quorum presidency last September to offer Susan a blessing when she was feeling sick, and said that Josh Powell talked to them for 45 minutes while his wife sat there sick.

"Not in any part of the time did he show any concern for his wife," Peterson said.

"(Susan) told me that a couple times he would say to the kids, 'You can go to church or have this cake,' " Peterson said. "She had to do everything."

Hellewell said he knew Josh struggled with pressure from his family, especially his dad, Stephen Powell, about church.

"His dad is very against the church," Hellewell said. "His dad is always sending him anti-Mormon literature and I've heard stories from Josh and Susan that (Josh's) dad was always trying to break up their marriage."
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #391 on: December 21, 2009, 10:07:23 AM »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...Utah.html?pg=1    Here is the link
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #392 on: December 21, 2009, 10:09:04 AM »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705352897/Husband-of-missing-West-Valley-woman-has-left-Utah.html?pg=1    I hope this link works.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #393 on: December 21, 2009, 11:33:58 AM »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9097273

Husband of missing Utah mother attends Wash. vigil
December 20, 2009

WEST VALLEY CITY -- A Utah man considered a person of interest in the disappearance of his wife was among more than 60 people who attended a vigil for her Sunday night in her parents' hometown in Washington state.

Meanwhile, Susan Powell's friends and neighbors held another vigil for her in West Valley City.

"We have not given up, and we will not give up until Susan comes home," said Kiirsi Hellewell, Susan's best friend.

Susan Powell's friends and neighbors gather at the Utah vigil Sunday night

Susan's husband Josh suddenly left Utah over the weekend. Although he's been called a person of interest by police, Josh Powell is legally free to leave the state.

He told friends he just wanted to get away from the media attention, but he missed an outpouring of support here for his missing wife.

They came with candles and messages of support promising prayers and hymns around the world.

"We join Susan's family and friends at this moment in Puyallup, Washington to light a candle of hope for Susan," Hellewell said.

In many places they promised to sing Susan's favorite hymn, "Silent Night". Mixed in with all the songs and prayers was an undercurrent of worry about whether the case will ever be resolved.

"We ask Father that hearts may be softened, that whoever may know what has happened to her may have the courage to step forward and speak up," said James Hofheins, coordinator of the Susan Powell Friends and Family Facebook page.

Josh Powell evidently left Utah either Friday or Saturday and traveled to Washington to stay with his father. Friday and Sunday, a KSL news camera captured scenes of large items being removed from his home by friends or relatives.

One neighbor spoke with him by phone just before the vigil.

"He just told me he needed to get away from all the press and publicity. He wants to keep his kids away from it," said John Hellewell.

Powell also said he'd been fired from his software job.

Hellewell said, "He just made a comment to me that he wasn't going to be able to pay any more of his bills because he doesn't have any money now."

Neighbors were surprised he had left Utah so suddenly.

"I don't know what his motives are. Maybe he just wanted to be with his family for a while but that was surprising to me," Kiirsi Hellewell said. "His story is already strange. It's already something that's hard to believe, so the whole circumstances around that are strange."

At the Utah vigil, suspicions were set aside as dozens of people hoped to make a difference with prayer and song.

"I just hope wherever she is that she's safe and that she knows how much everyone loves her," said friend Rachel Marini.

The Washington vigil was held at a church near the homes of Josh's father and Susan's parents. Besides Josh Powell, the event was attended by Susan's grandparents, parents and siblings.

Police said his distance from Utah will make it more difficult to speak with him, but they do not have him under surveillance.

Police also said there were no new developments in the investigation
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #394 on: December 21, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »

Thank-you Janet for your answer about passports  Northern Rose, from the latest article you posted.  Susan's mother and father walked by Joshua and did not stop to talk to him.    Josh is lucky that is all they did, not talk to him. They show real class, because I'm afraid my husband and I would not have been so decent.

An ongoing relationship with those little boys ... if Josh is not held accountable for the death of Susan ... must be the reason that her family does not go up one side of Josh and down the other.

Janet

_____

chi-monkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #395 on: December 21, 2009, 11:54:59 AM »

An ongoing relationship with those little boys ... if Josh is not held accountable for the death of Susan ... must be the reason that her family does not go up one side of Josh and down the other.

Janet

Agreed.  This is a time to think long term.  If Josh did it (I think he did), it could be a long time before he is charged.  Meantime the little boys welfare is first consideration.   

I am so very afraid for them!

Chi-M
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #396 on: December 21, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »

Chuck Cox We estimate 200 people attended the vigil in the pouring rain, I counted at least 5 News trucks, I know there were more. Talk about determination and support. Shortly after the vigil as people began to disperse, I heard that Joshua (the husband) had arrived. I saw this brother doing an interview, I couldn't really understand why Josh was there. I saw that Josh had brought Charlie,(4 yrs old) but I felt it would have been inappropriate for me to barge in on the Powell family umbrella fort they created to guard against Media. It was well known that the Media would be there.....I just hope being here will encourage Josh to help with the search. Thank everyone, including the Media for showing up in the Pouring rain. We are taking it one day at a time.

http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?v=wall&ref=search&gid=198478842187
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #397 on: December 21, 2009, 12:02:40 PM »

Friend: Missing Utah mom was mulling divorce (with video)
‘She talked of escaping, but there’s no way she would have left her boys’

A woman who has known a missing Utah woman and her husband since the couple were married eight years ago is not surprised that Josh Powell has been named a person of interest in his wife Susan’s disappearance, saying that his increasingly controlling behavior had put the couple’s marriage on the rocks.

“His story just doesn’t add up,” Rachel Marini told TODAY’s Ann Curry Monday from her home in American Fork, Utah. “I think it was only a matter of time before it came to this.”

It has been two weeks since Josh Powell told police he took the couple’s two boys on a late-night camping trip, leaving Susan behind in their suburban Salt Lake City home. When he came home, she wasn’t there, he told police.

Since then, Josh has hired a prominent local defense attorney and has not responded to police efforts to interview him further. Last week, he took sons Charlie, 4, and Raden, 2, back to his parents’ home in Puyallup, Wash., for the holidays. On Sunday evening, he attended a prayer vigil for Susan with his older son but did not acknowledge his wife’s parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, who stood just a dozen or so feet away from him.

Marini said that behavior seemed strange. “Her parents are hurting just as much as he is. I would have hoped that he would have been comforting to them, as I know they would have been to him,” she said.

Debts and deterioration
Marini said that what had been a happy marriage began to deteriorate several years ago when the Powells moved from Washington to Utah. The couple had financial difficulties and filed for bankruptcy in 2007, citing nearly $200,000 in debts.

“Josh became more and more controlling, and it was harder for her to remain herself, or remain the happy person that she was,” Marini said.

“Josh was very controlling. He controlled everything in their marriage, from the money that Susan spent to what groceries she could buy to what she could eat. There was a lot of fighting and belittling on his part. It just reduced her to a very unhappy and different person than she was when he first met her,” Marini told Curry.

Marini said that Susan had spoken about her unhappiness and had even discussed leaving her husband. But, she said, it’s unthinkable that her friend would have gone without her children.

“Susan talked many times about escaping her unhappy marriage, but there’s no way she would have left her boys,” Marini said.

Credible story?
Police have focused on Josh’s account that he decided to go camping near midnight on Sunday, Dec. 6. He said he went to a park in the desert west of Salt Lake City, despite sub-freezing temperatures and a snowstorm moving in. He and the boys slept in the family van, he said.

Police have said that Josh was vague about the exact location of his campsite. An overnight snowstorm also eradicated tracks and made it impossible for police to check Josh’s story.

When the children didn’t show up at day care and Susan didn’t go to work, concerned friends called police, who broke into the house. They reportedly found Susan’s purse and cell phone. In the living room, fans were trained on a wet spot on the carpet

Curry asked Marini whether Josh’s story about an impromptu camping trip is credible.

“I don’t know, but I do know that if he had told Susan, ‘Hey, I’m going to take the boys out camping, and it’s 10 degrees out, it’s a blizzard, and we have school the next day,’ she would

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34508240/ns/today-today_people/
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #398 on: December 21, 2009, 12:03:25 PM »

I understand it would be best not to speak to Josh looking at the long term consequences, it would just be very hard not too. And LE isn't really watching his movements  either they really are, which I hope, and aren't saying that, or this would not be a good move by LE considering Canada is right there to go and disappear. But it sounds like he has very little money, but family members could help him with money.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #399 on: December 21, 2009, 12:04:53 PM »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9097273

Husband of missing Utah mother attends Wash. vigil
December 20, 2009

WEST VALLEY CITY -- A Utah man considered a person of interest in the disappearance of his wife was among more than 60 people who attended a vigil for her Sunday night in her parents' hometown in Washington state.

<snipped>

Police said his distance from Utah will make it more difficult to speak with him, but they do not have him under surveillance.

Police also said there were no new developments in the investigation

It would have been a good thing if Josh had been under surveillance in that 24 hour period he went missing.  Could he have been insuring Susan's remains would never be found.

Considering there is no restriction in regards to Josh's comings and goings ... could police surveillance observe him crossing the Canadian/American border and ... not have any authority to intervene?

Janet

+++++++++

Susan Powell Update: Carpet cleaning machine found, husband rents car then disappears
December 19, 2:28 PM

Josh rented a car and briefly disappeared himself, according to Fox 13 News. Detectives said Josh wasn’t seen or heard from for nearly 24 hours. They will not go into detail about the car rental but did say that Josh rented the car when they seized the van to search it. They would not comment when asked how many miles were put on the rental car, which, Fox News reported, could be significant.

http://www.examiner.com/x-22460-Seattle-Family-Examiner~y2009m12d19-Susan-Powell-Update-Carpet-cleaning-machine-found--husband-rents-car-then-disappears-more-gtgt

Husband of missing mom attends Wash. vigil
Wife's side of the family also is at service; he’s a ‘person of interest’

West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan said Sunday there are no restrictions on Josh Powell's movements.

"He can come and go as he pleases," McLachlan said, adding that police would still like to speak with him again.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34503052/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

_____

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.