April 16, 2024, 05:05:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 353151 times)
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2009, 06:09:21 PM »

Most 4 year olds are able to answer simple questions. I wonder if they have asked any to the 4 year old? My great nephew will be 4 Dec. 26th. He has been able to carry on a conversation for over a year now. Ask the child some questions.

yes..the 4 yr old would be able to possibly give some clues or info as to what really happened...jmo

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2009, 06:13:52 PM »

Most 4 year olds are able to answer simple questions. I wonder if they have asked any to the 4 year old? My great nephew will be 4 Dec. 26th. He has been able to carry on a conversation for over a year now. Ask the child some questions.

I think I read where they did question him right in the beginning. 

A 4yr old should be able to explain alot unless they were actually asleep and not camping. 

If he took them camping at midnight the kids more than likely would have fallen asleep during the drive.  I can not see them staying awake unless they were still up to begin with.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »

I think I read where they did question him right in the beginning. 

A 4yr old should be able to explain alot unless they were actually asleep and not camping. 

If he took them camping at midnight the kids more than likely would have fallen asleep during the drive.  I can not see them staying awake unless they were still up to begin with.

agreed

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »

This is good.....pay attention Wink

http://mothersarevanishing.blogspot.com/2009/12/susan-powell-familiar-scenario.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 06:42:54 PM »

Thanks, and WELCOME 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 06:49:06 PM »

Very interesting, you would think the sledding with the boys was enough activity for the day, but I guess not, he needed to take them camping during the middle of the night to make smores 
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 06:54:52 PM »

Very interesting, you would think the sledding with the boys was enough activity for the day, but I guess not, he needed to take them camping during the middle of the night to make smores 
Did they not have a fireplace they could use to make smores at the house? Gas stoves work well enough too. Why go all that way to make a treat for the kids in the middle of the night?

Maybe his family will nut up and take him to a room and tell him to fess up and tell the police everything. (like that other guy that killed his wife and they found her in the dump).

JMO JSM

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2009, 06:55:54 PM »

Did they not have a fireplace they could use to make smores at the house? Gas stoves work well enough too. Why go all that way to make a treat for the kids in the middle of the night?

Maybe his family will nut up and take him to a room and tell him to fess up and tell the police everything. (like that other guy that killed his wife and they found her in the dump).

JMO JSM

right!

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »

JMO JSM
Especially when it was freezing out and the kids are 4 and 1, though some reports say he is 2. Mark Hacking 
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2009, 07:02:32 PM »

JMO JSM
Especially when it was freezing out and the kids are 4 and 1, though some reports say he is 2. Mark Hacking 
That is him, Mark Hacking. I was really impressed that his family did the right thing and made him tell wherre she was. Maybe this Josh's family will do the same, as they are of the same faith as the Hackings. I know I would if my SIL was missing, I would get my brother in a room and grill him if he was out in the middle of the night with my nephews that were that age. I would probably kick his butt for being out at that time of night with the kids even if my SIL wasn't missing.  My Daddy always said, nothing good happens after midnight. I truly believe that now.

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2009, 08:00:53 PM »

Smores can even be made in the micro wave.   And they could have even camped in the backyard, that way they could come back in the house if it was cold/rainy/miserable/whatever.  Something is mighty fishy here....JMHO

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2009, 08:19:34 PM »

Smores can even be made in the micro wave.   And they could have even camped in the backyard, that way they could come back in the house if it was cold/rainy/miserable/whatever.  Something is mighty fishy here....JMHO
Exactly Muffy and with the wet spot and the fans, something is not adding up with that dude's story. Seeing all the snow on the ground, who would go camping with little ones during the day, much less in the middle of the night.  I pray she is okay, but when I first saw this story the other day, my first thought was he killed her. 

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9011381

Family of missing woman's husband speaks; friends hand out posters
December 12, 2009

WEST VALLEY CITY -- Friends and family of a missing West Valley City woman held a church prayer service Saturday afternoon.

It's now been five days since 28-year-old Susan Powell was reported missing.

Powell's husband, Josh, and their 2- and 4-year-old sons were at the service. Afterwards, Josh Powell didn't want to say a word or answer a question about his missing wife, but his brother-in-law did.

"We continue to hope she will be returned to us safely," said Kirk Graves.

With Josh standing next to him, Graves thanked the West Valley City Police Department, family, friends and complete strangers for helping them. He also said all the speculation about Josh somehow being involved in his wife's disappearance is upsetting.

"I think it's pointless. I think maybe worse than pointless. I think it's destructive and damaging to what's going on," said Graves. "There has been so much speculation that we just need to put it to rest."

Some of that speculation comes from Josh's story he told to investigators. He claims he took his young sons camping in the freezing cold of the West Desert on the night Susan disappeared from their West Valley home.

Graves said he understands how some could look at that story, but says his brother-in-law is just as hurt as anyone about his wife's disappearance. "I can tell you the pain he feels is real. I could feel it," said Graves.

Meanwhile, Powell's family and friends have been going to malls and parking lots throughout the Salt Lake Valley to post and hand out missing person flyers.

"We want to get everyone to see her face and hopefully someone recognizes her. We don't know where to search, so flyers are the best way," said Tami Allen, a friend of Susan Powell's who goes to the same church ward.

"It amazes me what people are willing to do and take so much time out of their daily schedules to go and help out," said Allen. "She's an awesome lady and it's so sad and we don't know who would've done it."

As for the Powell children, the family said they're doing their best to keep them occupied and to shelter them from the situation. "Kids are very intuitive. You can see the stress," said Graves.

Investigators searched the Simpson Springs area of the West Desert Friday. Simpson Springs is a location off the Pony Express Trail where Josh Powell told police he went camping. Investigators didn't find anything, and a spokesperson with the West Valley Police Department said there are no updates.

When asked if Josh Powell had been to the scene to help police, Graves said he didn't know. Even with Powell standing next to him, Graves said there are some things his brother-in-law doesn't want to talk about.

"Josh is just here mostly to let everybody know that he's here and that he cares," said Graves. "What little detail facts I have, the police have asked us to not be open with them, to kind of keep quiet on what little we know that isn't well published. Our next step is to make sure everybody stays focused on Susan."

West Valley City Police Capt. Tom McLachlan said police don't have a description of the clothing Susan was wearing when her husband last saw her early Monday.

Susan Powell's friend, Kiirsi Hellewell, said she saw her Sunday afternoon walking home from church, which Josh Powell did not attend. JoVonna Owings said she had dinner with the couple and their children around 4 p.m. and that Susan Powell was wearing a long-sleeve black shirt and black pants.

About 30 detectives have been assigned to the case.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2009, 08:32:01 PM »

I was just thinking here.  How many people would  risk  going camping in the winter time in a cold, remote area with one adult and two very young children?  What if something went wrong?  How would a lone adult deal with that?   Too risky.  Would Susan Powell have let him take her two young ones camping by himself under those circumstances ?  I know as a mom I would be like "no way, Jose"    

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »

comments here are good....

http://www.deseretnews.com/user/comments/705351139/Family-of-missing-West-Valley-mom-says-speculation-about-husband-does-no-good.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2009, 08:45:42 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:18:27 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »

Police find no sign of missing West Valley City woman in camping area

Dec. 12--Five days ago, Joshua Powell says he packed up his two boys, said goodbye to his wife and left his West Valley City home for a late night camping trip.

That was the last time he or anyone else saw his wife Susan Powell.

The 28-year-old woman's disappearance has left her friends, family and even police baffled as to her whereabouts.

A search of the area Thursday where Susan Powell's husband says he went camping shortly before her disappearance turned up nothing.

Tooele County sheriff's Chief Deputy Duke North said investigators from West Valley City on Thursday searched a section of the Pony Express Trail where Joshua Powell said he camped with his 2- and 4-year-old sons.

"They came out and searched an area but didn't find anything," North said.

North was not aware whether detectives have confirmed the family had been at that campsite. No other searches in Tooele County are planned, North said.

"The information thus far doesn't justify us using our resources," North said.

West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan said fresh snow hid any evidence of whether someone had been there.

"We can't confirm he was there. We can't disprove he was there," McLachlan said.

McLachlan said Joshua Powell is cooperative and not a suspect, nor a person of interest. The couple's one vehicle was searched and returned to Josh Powell, the captain said.

"He is a person we are interested in talking to again, interviewing again, as we have interviewed many people and talked to many people," he said. "We have no plans to talk to him again today [Friday]."

Susan Powell's father, Charles Cox was expected to fly into Salt Lake City from Washington state Friday night and meet with investigators in person, said Susan Powell's best friend Kiirsi Hellewell, who spoke with Cox.

Cox and Hellewell both said that it wasn't uncommon for the Powells to leave on the spur of the moment to go somewhere. Joshua taking the kids camping late at night, though odd, didn't altogether surprise his father-in-law.

"It's not beyond the pale," Cox said. "He would do that."

But, Cox said during a phone interview Thursday night, "Parts of [Joshua's] story are hard to believe. There's parts of it that just begs: What really happened?"

Cox said he learned his daughter was missing from Joshua Powell's sister, Jennifer Graves, on Monday.

Susan Powell was last seen just after midnight Sunday before her husband and their two young children apparently went on the camping trip, Cox was told by Graves.

West Valley City police have been looking for Powell since Monday morning when Graves reported the whole family missing. Neither of the Powells showed up for work that day and the children were not dropped off at day care, McLachlan said. Police went to the home to search for the family, but found nobody there. They did find Susan Powell's phone and purse, Cox said.

Joshua Powell and the children returned home sometime around 5 p.m. Monday, Cox said. Police interviewed Josh Powell twice this week, but he hasn't been able to help police find his wife.

McLachlan said the case is still a missing person case, but it has become suspicious. He said no one can or is willing to tell them where Susan Powell is, and she has not contacted anyone.

Because the Powell home was the last place Susan Powell was seen, police executed a search warrant on the home and collected items that may hold clues to her disappearance.

Hellewell said she and her husband spoke with Joshua Powell for two hours Thursday night.

"He's not very well," she said. "He seems really lost, like he doesn't have a friend in the world."

The children are doing a bit better.

"They seem like they are ready to smile and enjoy company, but they seem very confused," Hellewell said.

She said the oldest child has been telling people how his mother makes him toast and other things like that.

Cox said he last spoke with his daughter a week ago Thursday. They spoke about Christmas and gifts he recently sent by mail. He said she didn't mention anything was wrong and it was "a very regular conversation."

Cox and Hellewell said that the Powells had financial troubles in the past, but had mostly solved their problems. Cox said that the couple were occasionally unemployed, but both were working when Susan Powell disappeared. Cox had helped his daughter and son-in-law financially in the past, he said.

According to court documents, Josh Powell filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2007, listing more than $200,000 in credit card, furniture, student loan and other debts, not including the family's mortgage and car. At the time, Josh Powell listed his occupation as a Realtor for Homenet Real Estate and Susan Powell was listed as a homemaker.

Hellewell and others have started a Facebook page called "Friends and Family of Susan Powell." As of Friday evening 1,200 people were listed as friends.

One of those people, Kayla Reed, wrote on the site Friday that she had 300 fliers with Susan Powell's likeness that she planned to pass out at a Jazz game. She was hoping for donations so more could be passed out at the event, malls and in Susan Powell's neighborhood.

Cox said Thursday evening he can't imagine where his daughter could be.

"I'm sure somebody out there knows something," he said.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/138816993
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2009, 08:51:51 PM »

Susan is up till 12:30 on a Sunday night.  She needs to go to work the next day.  Joshua decides to take the kids camping at 12:30 on a sunday night so they can make smores and he needs to go to work the next day.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2009, 09:42:05 PM »

I was just thinking here.  How many people would  risk  going camping in the winter time in a cold, remote area with one adult and two very young children?  What if something went wrong?  How would a lone adult deal with that?   Too risky.  Would Susan Powell have let him take her two young ones camping by himself under those circumstances ?  I know as a mom I would be like "no way, Jose"    
I can't imagine that in a million years, now if it was summer, maybe, but still with two tiny boys. Just the smores comment did me in, what one year old eats smores? At least I wouldn't feed my child that at one. And before the camping trip they went sledding. And if I read right wasn't the place they went camping a couple hours away? This makes zero sense, and when I saw Josh on the video, I was shocked, he didn't even pretend to care 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2009, 12:07:43 AM »

West Valley City family wants focus on missing mother

WEST VALLEY CITY — Josh Powell stood silent in the snowy park, his eyes welling at times with tears.

It's been a week now since his wife, Susan Powell, went missing, and while detectives have found no trace of the mother of two, speculation and theories have mounted among neighbors and strangers on online message boards.

Too much of that talk has been directed at Josh Powell, a family member says.

"There's a lot of speculation," Kirk Graves, Josh Powell's brother-in-law, told reporters during a brief press conference Saturday. "Unfortunately, that doesn't do Susan any good. It's destructive and damaging to what's going on."

Earlier last week, Josh Powell told the Deseret News he had not seen his wife since about midnight Sunday when he decided to take his two sons, ages 2 and 4, camping in the Simpson Springs area of Tooele County.

Investigators said Friday they could not determine whether he had or had not been at the campsite because snow had covered tire tracks and a fire pit in the area.

Powell said he returned home Monday night to find a front window broken out but nothing else suspicious inside his West Valley City home.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705351139/Family-Speculation-doesnt-help.html
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.