March 28, 2024, 10:23:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 352699 times)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #460 on: December 23, 2009, 12:39:30 PM »

Petersen also says when Powell came to his house he had the worst case of wind burned he'd ever seen. Petersen said they were bright red and he had a bottle of lotion with him and kept applying it on his hands.      Okay, I know it is very hard to dig in frozen ground, but not impossible, for his hands to be so wind burned, he was obviously taking a great deal of time outside. You would think he would have had gloves on, but this use less fool didn't even think to do that. And all he wanted to talk about with his neighbor was clothes and a phone, this guy doesn't even pretend to at least care.
chi-monkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #461 on: December 23, 2009, 02:05:46 PM »

Thanks for those articles, all the warning signs were there, how I wish she would have grabbed her kids and left, but it sure appears that Susan was trying to do the right things for her boys by staying with their father 

No Rose, I wonder what the number is of women killed while trying to do the right thing for the children by staying in an abusive relationship.   It seems that he was probably not physically abusive to her, but dangerous anyway.   

I suspect he drugged her with that dinner for purposes we can guess.  Accidentally overdosed her, or she wakened and figured it out with violent results.    IMO of course. 

Makes me so angry too that Josh's father was apparently stoking the fire in frequent phone talks.   Probably telling him to take charge and make her "do right" if he's a real man.     

Think I'm about to overheat!  Sorry.   

JMOO

Chi-M
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #462 on: December 23, 2009, 02:11:47 PM »

Thanks for those articles, all the warning signs were there, how I wish she would have grabbed her kids and left, but it sure appears that Susan was trying to do the right things for her boys by staying with their father 

No Rose, I wonder what the number is of women killed while trying to do the right thing for the children by staying in an abusive relationship.   It seems that he was probably not physically abusive to her, but dangerous anyway.   

I suspect he drugged her with that dinner for purposes we can guess.  Accidentally overdosed her, or she wakened and figured it out with violent results.    IMO of course. 

Makes me so angry too that Josh's father was apparently stoking the fire in frequent phone talks.   Probably telling him to take charge and make her "do right" if he's a real man.     

Think I'm about to overheat!  Sorry.   

JMOO

Chi-M

I think you are right, I'm also wondering if he was poisoning her a little bit at a time for awhile? Josh's father sounds like a real winner just like his son  makes me ill.
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #463 on: December 23, 2009, 04:01:38 PM »

Missing Utah Mom Investigation Focusing On Car Her Husband Rented, E-Mails

ABC News
Published: December 23, 2009
» 0 Comments | Post a Comment

Salt Lake City, Utah—E-mails from missing mother Susan Powell to her friends have now been turned over to investigators and reported in Salt Lake Newspapers.

The e-mails say she lives in fear that her husband might kidnap her two boys, divorce her, or worse. The e-mails were written last year, when her friends say her marriage was at its lowest point. Susan writes that her Husband Joshua is very controlling.

Susan was reported missing December 7th. Two days later, police confiscated the family’s van to search for evidence. It was the couple’s only vehicle, but when husband Joshua went to the Salt Lake Airport, to rent a car, it somehow took investigators by surprise.

Capt. Tom McLachlan, West Valley City Police Department: “We were unaware that he had gotten a rental car and was on the move. He had that rental car for 24 hours, or less.“

In that short time Joshua drove more than 200 miles.

Mike von Fremd, reporting: “Just what he did with the rental car, and where he drove it, is one of many questions investigators want answered. Police have not filed any charges, but investigators are learning painful personal details about a missing mother who in her own words, feared her husband.“

http://www2.wjbf.com/jbf/news/national/article/missing_utah_mom_investigation_focusing_on_car_her_husband_rented_e-mails/46896/

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #464 on: December 23, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »

I just cannot understand how Josh was not under surveillance by LE.  Come on - it only took his initial camping story for me to have bad vibes about him.    

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #465 on: December 23, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »

Neighbors Say Husband Possibly Involved in Disappearance of Susan Powell (With Video)

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - Neighbors of Susan Powell are now saying they believe her husband, Josh, was somehow involved in her disappearance. The 28-year-old woman was reported missing on Dec. 7, 2009 when she failed to appear at work and her children were not dropped off at day care. Josh, the only person of interest in the case, told police he took his two sons, ages 2 and 4, camping that day at about 12:30 a.m. in subfreezing temperatures and returned in the evening.

One family friend of the Powell's, Jim Peterson, said Josh came over just days after his wife was reported missing, acting very odd, avoiding any conversation about Susan and talked about some new clothes that he purchased. Peterson also said police took Josh's cell phone and he purchased a new one at Wal-Mart. Authorities are not confirming the phone, but they said Josh rented a car and drove it several hundred miles in a matter of days while his van was being searched.

Peterson said he developed a close relationship with Susan and feared for her life. He said that Susan would confide in him about their marriage and would e-mail him from her workplace because Josh was "possessive and controlling." Peterson said Josh would not allow Susan to have any access to the computers at her home.

"I believe that he was involved in her disapperance," Peterson said.

Peterson said Susan tried to work hard on her marriage, but Josh continually grew more withdrawn.

Josh is currently in Washington State with his two sons spending the holidays with his family. He attended a candlelight vigil there, while another similar vigil was held in West Valley City.

"It's really strengthening and uplifting to know that everybody, all these millions of strangers that we don't know are praying for Susan and for her family and hoping for the best it's really something that's help keeping hope alive," said Susan's friend, Kiirsi Hellewell.

Police still want to question Josh since he was the last person to see Susan.

"We would still dearly love to have an interview with him and have an open request, invitation, whatever you want to call it...for him to do that," said McLachlan.

Police searched the area near Simpson Springs, where Josh said he took his two sons camping, but they found nothing. Police are calling the case "highly suspicious" and ask anyone with information on Susan's whereabouts to call 801-840-4000.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-neighbors-josh-possibly-involved-susan-powell,0,1188310.story
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #466 on: December 23, 2009, 04:18:30 PM »

Missing mom's father-in-law: My son is the scapegoat

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/79861232.html?tab=video
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #467 on: December 23, 2009, 05:44:46 PM »

I just cannot understand how Josh was not under surveillance by LE.  Come on - it only took his initial camping story for me to have bad vibes about him.    
I'm completely stumped by this, it makes no sense. That stupid smores/camping trip will two little boys in freezing temps should have set off tons of red flags 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #468 on: December 23, 2009, 06:06:22 PM »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705353673/Friend-Powell-took-time-getting-home.html

Powell took his time getting home, neighbor says

By Pat Reavy

Deseret News
Published: Wednesday, Dec. 23, 2009 2:23 p.m. MST

WEST VALLEY CITY — When Josh Powell was first told his wife was missing, it took him two hours to get home, even though he said he had been driving around West Valley City, according to a neighbor and friend of Susan Powell.

The same neighbor said Josh Powell didn't wanted to talk about his wife's disappearance in the early days of the investigation, despite repeated questions from friends.

These and other details of Josh Powell's unusual behavior in the days following his wife's disappearance were revealed Wednesday. She has not been seen since Dec. 6. Police say her husband is a person of interest in the case but not a suspect.

His strange behavior since his wife went missing has resulted in numerous questions being asked by friends and family members.

Tim Petersen is a neighbor of the Powells and a member of their LDS Church ward. He and his wife are good friends with Susan Powell, and Petersen has helped her with her marriage counseling.

On Dec. 7, police were called to the Powell house after the couple failed to show up for work and their children were not dropped off at day care. The day-care providers contacted Josh Powell's mother, who went to the house and found it locked. Fearing a carbon monoxide incident, she called police.

Josh Powell later told police he had decided to go camping about midnight on Dec. 6 in rural Tooele County and took his two sons, ages 2 and 4, with him.

Petersen said friends and family members tried several times to call Josh Powell on his cell phone Dec. 7. When Powell finally answered, Petersen said, he didn't seem very panicked when they told him his wife was missing and no one had any idea where she was.

"They told him, 'The police are here at your house. You might want to come home.' It took him two hours. When we asked him where he had been, he just said, 'I've been driving around West Valley City.' It took him two hours to get home. He wasn't in a big hurry to get home and find his wife, he just … I don't know. It's a really crappy situation," Petersen said.

The odd behavior continued over the next two days as police started combing the Powell house for evidence. Investigators seized the Powells' lone vehicle, a minivan, to look for possible clues. They also took Josh Powell's cell phone and many items from inside his house, including his bedding and a carpet cleaner, Petersen said.

"They started completely tearing his house apart," he said.

Soon after police took Powell's cell phone, he went to Walmart and got a pre-paid cell phone, Petersen said.

More information was also revealed Wednesday about the alleged wet spot police found in the Powell home.

Another church member helped police get into the house shortly after Susan Powell's disappearance, Petersen said. The church member later told Petersen he had seen two fans aimed at a wet spot on the carpet in the front room. There were toys also scattered around the floor, he said.

Josh Powell stopped by the Petersens' house on Wednesday Dec. 9, but didn't want to talk about his wife at all despite their continuous questioning about what might have happened to her.

"He wanted to talk about everything else. He sat there in a daze. He was ticked off police took his van," Petersen said. "He was just being extremely careful about everything he said."

Petersen said it was very uncharacteristic of Josh Powell, who he described as normally very chatty.

"All he wants to do is talk. He dominates conversations," Petersen said. "It was extremely odd" that he didn't want to talk about his wife.

Josh Powell was not asking the questions that Petersen believes most husbands in that situation would ask, such as: What happened? When did it happen? Where did it happen?

Petersen said that he noticed, while Powell was sitting on the Petersens' couch, that the man's hands "were just absolutely wind burned."

"They were just toast from the wind. His hands were absolutely toast. He kept taking a bottle of lotion out and putting it on his hands," Petersen said.

When Josh and Susan Powell were first married, both were very active in the LDS Church, Petersen said. They were sealed in the temple. But once they moved to Utah, Josh Powell stopped attending church.

Petersen said the Powells' marriage counselor instructed Susan Powell to set specific goals. Susan Powell told her husband that her goal was for him to become active in the church again by the end of 2009 and to have his temple recommend again by their anniversary in the spring. Otherwise, she was going to divorce him and take the children, Petersen said.

Anyone with information on Susan Powell can call West Valley police at 801-840-4000.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #469 on: December 23, 2009, 06:14:37 PM »

Petersen said the Powells' marriage counselor instructed Susan Powell to set specific goals. Susan Powell told her husband that her goal was for him to become active in the church again by the end of 2009 and to have his temple recommend again by their anniversary in the spring. Otherwise, she was going to divorce him and take the children, Petersen said.  The goal of Josh becoming active in the church again by the end of 2009, I guess he didn't want to accomplish that goal. And a creep like that, no way was Susan going to take the children and divorce. I don't ever think I've seen anyone quite like Josh before, he can't or won't even pretend that he cares about where his wife is at. Usually you get some kind of performance, most unbelievable, but this guy doesn't even do that.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #470 on: December 23, 2009, 07:20:49 PM »

Susan Powell's best friend says recent reports could be damaging to investigation

Susan Powell's best friend talks exclusively with ABC4 tonight, saying the information from "anonymous leaks" to local publications may be hurting the police investigation.
Kiirsi Hellewell says she's questioning why these so called sources are going to local news outlets instead of the police.  Kiirsi says she's skeptical about some of the recent revelations printed in local publications.  She says Susan told her "pretty much everything".  She's worried the recent leaks might be hindering the work of the police.

Hellewell says, “I'm just surprised by some of the things that came out this week because it's not anything she's ever told me before, and she pretty much told me everything.”  She adds that she doesn't know who these “anonymous sources” are, but she encourages anyone with fact-based valuable information to go straight to the police.  Hellewell says, “A lot of us, even though we really want to help, it's really not helping.  It's hurting more by talking about all these details that really should be kept between the police.”

Hellewell says there are a couple items she found especially shocking.  Local reports stated Susan was “afraid Josh Powell might kidnap her two boys… divorce her or worse."  Hellewell says Susan never told her that.

She also said she had never heard of any sort of will with "writing something so that no one would ever think she committed suicide,"  or stating "it would be so her boys would know that she would never kill herself, because she would never leave her boys alone."

Susan's best friend told us she has complete faith in the police and wants to respect their work.  Hellewell says, “They know so many things that they're not sharing with us, and they can't, because they're investigating it.”

She told us she hopes the focus stays on bringing Susan back home to her two children because she says Susan's oldest son is starting to miss his mommy.  Hellewell says, “I know that he doesn't understand why she's gone, somebody whose always been there for him, for every step of his life.”

Susan's family put out a press release today asking those who want to help to go out and do an act of service over the holidays, in the name of Susan.  They say Susan was a person of service and they hope this will help to honor her.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/state/story/Susan-Powells-best-friend-says-recent-reports/MBlD-1qZiU6rVNfZLj874A.cspx
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #471 on: December 23, 2009, 07:25:54 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:50:28 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #472 on: December 23, 2009, 07:59:57 PM »

Powell once yelled at the Petersons for taking off their shoes and socks in his home, saying he'd have to spend all night cleaning the floors from the germs on their bare feet.  This guy is a major piece of work, what about the germs from shoes? And it would have been Susan cleaning the floors from germs, not him, I'm sure.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #473 on: December 23, 2009, 08:08:22 PM »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9126729

Professor: Husband is innocent until proven guilty
December 23, 2009

WEST VALLEY CITY -- With each day that passes, the likelihood that Susan Powell will be found alive dwindles. With very few leads in the case, police, family, friends and the public are frustrated. But a criminal law professor warns Josh Powell is still innocent until proven guilty.

Police have stayed tight lipped about the case, and Josh Powell is not speaking out on the advice of his attorney. But University of Utah criminal law professor Daniel Medwed hopes the public will resist the tendency to jump to conclusions.

It's been more than two weeks since 28-year-old Susan Powell vanished -- seemingly without a trace.

Medwed said, "I know the public is eager for an arrest to occur."

Her husband, Josh Powell, is the only person of interest, and now he has taken the couple's two children to Washington state indefinitely. Few details about the case have come from police, but Medwed believes it's a strategy.

He said, "It seems like the police department here is really being careful in terms of dotting its I's and crossing its T's to make sure that it actually has probable cause to make the arrest."

Medwed said police have not named Josh a suspect; when there is really no technical difference between a person of interest and a suspect.

But if they name him a "suspect," Medwed said it implied an arrest was coming soon, and police may be waiting for more direct evidence to link him to Susan's disappearance.

He said police could arrest Josh based on circumstantial evidence, some of which includes:>

* A wet spot found on the carpet with fans
    * A rental car with hundreds of miles logged
    * The couple's history of financial problems
    * News of a pre-paid cell phone Josh purchased
    * And his improbable alibi of a camping trip the night Susan disappeared.

"The behavior is odd -- whether she was abducted by somebody else or whether he played a role in her death -- taking your toddlers out in the middle of the night to go camping in December in Utah is aberrant behavior," Medwed said.

But he said Josh Powell was innocent until proven guilty, and he encouraged the public to reserve judgment. He said, "I think it's a natural assumption, Jennifer, but I think it's one we should try to resist."

There is now over $10,000 worth of rewards being offered for new information about the case.

For Christmas, Susan's family is requesting good deeds be done in her honor.

Police look at e-mails in Powell case

Friends say they've turned e-mails from missing West Valley City woman Susan Powell over to police.

The friends, who wished to remain anonymous, tell the Deseret News the e-mails were sent last summer, when the Powell's marriage was at its worst.

They say the e-mails outline Susan's fears of what her husband might do to her or their children. According to one friend, Susan Powell said she was afraid her husband might kidnap her two boys, divorce her or worse.

One friend also says Susan talked about leaving a note at work to say she would never commit suicide.

A separate report says she told some of her friends that she had set up a separate bank account and wrote a will.

Police are not confirming those reports.

Susan Powell was last seen on Dec. 7, when Josh Powell said he left their suburban home in West Valley City about 12:30 a.m. to take their two boys, ages 2 and 4, camping in freezing conditions. She was reported missing the same day when she failed to show up for her stockbroker job and her children were not dropped off at day care.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #474 on: December 23, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »

THE REASON FOR THE SEASON – JESUS

Luke 2:8-11

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.  And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.  And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
_______

MERRY CHRISTMAS MONKEYS![/b]

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #475 on: December 23, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »

I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas Janet  an angelic monkey
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #476 on: December 23, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.  And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.  And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
_______

How sweet Janet - thank you!  Merry Christmas  an angelic monkey 

mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #477 on: December 23, 2009, 09:46:54 PM »

_______

Merry Christmas Tamikosmom an angelic monkey

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #478 on: December 23, 2009, 10:34:41 PM »

Chuck Cox:  There has been an account set up for donations to help our family search for Susan the account is with the "FAA First Federal Credit Union" Account 101422 the name of the account is "Family of Susan Powell". I am told that donations can be made through the shared branching network of credit unions see www.cuservicecenter.com

http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?v=wall&ref=search&gid=198478842187
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #479 on: December 24, 2009, 09:15:21 AM »

Report describes Joshua Powell’s reaction to news Susan Powell was missing (video)
Posted by Amanda Collins On December - 24 - 2009

A report by the Deseret News details Joshua Powell’s response to the news that his wife, Susan Powell was missing. The article chronicles an interview with Tim Peterson, a neighbor of the Powells as well as a close friend of Susan Powell’s.

The Powells were members of the LDS Church, yet Joshua Powell had reportedly stopped attending. Susan wanted Joshua to get back into church with her, or else she would divorce him. Tim Peterson was providing counseling to Susan as she struggled in her marriage.

According to the Deseret News, Susan Powell has not been seen since December 6, 2009 and on December 7, 2009 friends and family were notified that Susan and Joshua did not show up for work that day. Also, the couple’s two children did not go to preschool. The first to be notified regarding the disappearance of the family was Joshua’s mother. She feared that the family was in dire straits and contacted authorities.

Tim Peterson told the Deseret that he tried several times to contact Josh Powell on the 7th, and when he finally made contact, Joshua did not seem concerned about his wife’s whereabouts. It took him approximately 2 hours to return home and when asked where he was he stated that he was ‘driving around West Valley City.’ Tim Peterson also said that in the days following, Joshua had no interest or concern in speaking about his wife. He describes Joshua’s behavior as odd and out of character.

The Deseret also confirmed information regarding the wet spot that police described seeing on the carpet. A fellow church member had assisted authorities to enter the home and the church member said that they saw the wet spot with fans blowing in its direction.

One of the most disturbing things that Tim Peterson noticed regarding Josh Powell’s behavior was his hands. He said that his hands were extremely wind burned and that he continually put lotion on his hands. The report comes after police have secured five search warrants and are seeking a sixth warrant to examine a rental car that Josh Powell used after his van was confiscated by police.

Authorities state that Josh Powell put several hundred miles on the rental car but hasn’t admitted to where he traveled.

http://primewriter.com/news-1246-headlines/?p=1916

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.