April 26, 2024, 04:41:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 353360 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #860 on: February 12, 2010, 12:31:39 AM »

The Susan Powell you don't know

PUYALLUP, Washington (ABC 4 News) - Talking about a sister and daughter who has been missing now for more than two months is difficult.  But Susan Powell's family sat down with ABC 4 because there are things about her that they want you to know.

Describing Susan's personality, her mother, Judy Cox said,  "Bubbly, outgoing, smiles. She likes to smile. She likes to laugh or giggle... Have fun."  Chuck Cox, her father, added, "She’s just happy all the time." Marie Moniz, Susan’s younger sister agreed, "She was very welcoming to people. She didn't like people to be left out."

From the 3rd grade on, Susan was raised in Puyallup, Washington. The family of four daughters moved into a house in a small subdivision with nearly an acre lot filled with and surrounded by trees.

Older sister Denise Gordon remembers they didn’t need to go far to have an adventure. To the kids, their backyard seemed a deep, dark forest. "We had a camper trailer in the back yard. We'd sleep out there all summer," said Denise.

Marie remembers going to Rogers High School with Susan. "When we got into High School and Jr High she was my buddy." Susan’s parents said she was a good student who sang in the concert choir and learned sign language.

Years later while in Poland on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Marie remembers receiving a videotape with Susan signing a Christmas greeting. She said, "I was just kind of lonely and down. And I remember I just saw that and it made me laugh. I watched it again and again and again."

Video from other Christmas celebrations in the Cox home showed the same, jubilant older sister. Marie said, "She's a very upbeat person. She's always been that way."

Marie’s wedding in June of 2008 was the last time all four sisters were together.

Denise speaks of wishing they'd had more time together that wedding day.  Susan came to her house, but the visit was short.  "It was hard. She (Susan) only stayed for a half hour or hour that day. There was a lot of regret. We should have made the time."

Josh Powell entered Susan’s life after High School. They both attended an LDS singles ward in Tacoma. Judy Cox remembers, "Courtship from meeting to marriage was five months. It was ... Short." Chuck Cox added, "I asked the standard questions. He had a job. He was going to college. He had his own apartment. And he had his own car."

Susan and Josh Powell were married in April of 2001 in the LDS temple in Portland, Oregon.

The family recalls that the young couple bounced around from place to place early in their marriage. At one point, they were resident managers of an assisted living facility in Yakima, Washington. Chuck said every move seemed to start and end with Josh’s discontent. "Josh was having trouble finding a job that was suiting him," he said. "Josh had some issues."

The couple moved to West Valley City in 2004. Susan disappeared the night of December 6, 2009.

Her disappearance has widened the divide that seems to have already existed between Josh and many of Susan’s family and friends. His lack of cooperation with the ongoing police investigation has frustrated them.

Darleen Allen lives near the Cox family in Puyallup and is a close friend of the sisters – especially Susan. Darleen said, "It does hurt. It frustrates me because we all want Susan back. We all want to know what happened. We want to know."

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/The-Susan-Powell-you-dont-know/Bn4gzlxWDU2uDHd_Azu0qA.cspx
ISpy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #861 on: February 15, 2010, 01:00:45 AM »

Just thinking out loud here...I'm wondering if the reason Susan's parents/family/church friends have been careful not to really confront Josh is because of the LDS belief system, that Josh has the "authority" to choose whether or not to call Susan into a particular level of heaven (see my previous post « Reply #849 on: February 09, 2010, 12:55:08 AM »).  From articles I've read, there seems to almost be a reluctance (or is it fear) in confronting Josh.  Her family and their church friends/neighbors for the most part seem almost complacent.  Their reactions seem somewhat abnormal (stilted, maybe), compared to Josh's obviously illogical story of the events the night their daughter disappeared. Most of the men/fathers I know would be highly confrontational and have very pointed remarks for and about Joshua Powell.  Am I missing something? I can understand trying to keep things on a fairly even keel since Josh does have custody of their grandchildren (and may have killed their mom), but you'd think they'd be a tad more strident in their tone.  Wouldn't waking your children in the middle of the night, driving them out to a freezing desert to go camping in the middle of a snow storm, and failing to report for work the next day constitute negligence at the very least?

Oops!  Hello, everyone!  Sorry to post and run, trying to play catch up tonight.

Forecast for the Day:
God is reigning and the Son is shining.
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #862 on: February 15, 2010, 09:22:28 AM »

http://www.mormontimes.com/people_news/newsmakers/?id=13070

Holding onto hope: the search for Susan Powell

By Pat Reavy
Deseret News
Friday, Jan. 29, 2010

WEST VALLEY CITY -- It's been almost two months since Susan Powell disappeared.

Reminders that the mother of two is still missing can still be found around her home.

A "missing" poster is taped to the front doorway. Shards of broken glass and a window screen remain underneath the now-fixed front window where police originally had to break in on the day she was reported missing.

But friends and family members continue to hold out hope she is alive.

"We want Susan to come home, and the best thing is to keep her face and her name out there ... just like Elizabeth Smart," said Jennifer Graves, sister of Susan Powell's husband, Josh Powell.

On Wednesday, Susan's friends returned to her vacant house to hang purple ribbons and streamers.

Two large signs saying, "We Will Find You" and "We Will Bring You Home" were posted on the front lawn while smaller signs were hung on the garage.

Messages like, "We love you Susan," "Millions of people are praying for you" and "Lost but not forgotten" were posted around the house where Powell was last seen on Dec. 7.

Friends say campaigns like decorating Powell's house help them feel like they are contributing and doing something to help find her, because, as one neighbor said, "There is very little in our control right now."

"The stress of, 'I can't do anything,' is enough to destroy you. Little things like this are enough to do a lot for those who are still holding on," Kirk Graves, Josh Powell's brother-in-law, said.

Police call Susan Powell's disappearance suspicious and her husband, Josh Powell, a person of interest.

Josh has also been the focus of ever-increasing speculation and scrutiny about what he knows and, according to police, why he won't fully cooperate with them.

Josh Powell told police he went camping with their two sons, who turned 3 and 5 this month, in a remote area of Tooele County at midnight on Dec. 7. When he returned the next day, his wife was gone.

Since then, he has lost his job and moved all of his belongings to Washington to live with his parents. Family members say Josh Powell has told them he planned to return to Utah to fix up his house before putting it on the market to sell, though there was no indication when that might be.

On Wednesday, Jennifer Graves and her husband, Kirk, were among those hanging signs and ribbons at Susan's house.

Kirk Graves said his family went to Washington last Friday and had dinner with Josh Powell and his sons.

"We had a great time spending time with the boys," he said.

During dinner that night, Graves said the topic of Susan and her disappearance was not discussed. Asked whether he talked about Susan with Josh after dinner, Graves declined to answer.

But when speaking about Josh Powell, both Jennifer and Kirk's tones sound increasingly disappointed.

Jennifer Graves said Powell's attitude and demeanor toward her and her husband has completely changed since Susan disappeared. While Powell used to very talkative every time he was around, he now rarely talks to them at all.

Furthermore, they don't believe he has done all he can to help find his missing wife.

"I've been disappointed with his efforts. He hasn't put enough effort in, in my opinion," Jennifer Graves said. "He's chosen to work away from the media, which is our biggest tool right now."

"He has not told police anything except the basics," Kirk Graves said. "Every little thing that comes to our minds, we pass along. He hasn't passed anything along. ... I know where I'd be if it was my wife."

When asked if Powell may simply be in shock over his wife's disappearance, Graves said, "Anything is possible, I can't pretend I understand Josh's mind, but anything is possible."

As for the Powells' two young boys, Jennifer Graves said they are, for the most part, fine.

"They are aware she is lost, that is what they've been told. Other than that, they seem to be OK," she said.

Wednesday, about a dozen adults and a dozen children spent the morning decorating the front of the Powell house.

"I don't think she's been forgotten. We haven't forgotten, Graves said.

"If she comes back alive, we're going to have the state's biggest party," said friend Kiirsi Hellewell.

Friends and family say they are doing their best to have their lives return somewhat to a normal routine. But it isn't easy as long as Susan is still missing.

"It's going to be a while before it gets back to normal," Jennifer Graves said. "Just keep looking. Keep looking for her."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-mail: preavy@desnews.com

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #863 on: February 15, 2010, 04:03:19 PM »

They need to stop smelling roses in their sleep and WAKE UP !

Of course that is just my opinion..
newfie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #864 on: February 15, 2010, 06:18:49 PM »

Hi All    The family will be on Dr. Phil tomorrow. Should be an interesting program. I hope some good questions are asked. I agree Ed, hope is important but being realistic is also.
newfie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #865 on: February 15, 2010, 06:25:46 PM »

Here is the link

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m2d13-Press-Release-Dr-Phil-talks-to-Susan-Powells-family-together-on-stage-for-the-first-time

TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME ON ONE STAGE, SUSAN POWELL’S PARENTS AND SISTER-IN-LAW TALK TO DR. PHIL.

Dr. Phil issued a press release today stating Chuck and Judy Cox, parents of missing Utah mother Susan Powell, along with her sister-in-law, appear together for the first time on one stage when they sit down to talk with Dr. Phil next Tuesday, February 16 (check local listings).

Chuck Cox, Susan's father, said, “We are absolutely convinced that our daughter would not let the kids out at that time of the morning without her with them. If there was breath in her body she would not have let them out. I don’t think any mother would.”

Powell was last seen just after midnight on Monday, December 7, 2009, by her husband, Josh, who claims to have taken their two young sons on a midnight camping trip high in the mountains, two hours outside of Salt Lake City.

By the time they returned home later that same evening, Susan Powell had already been reported missing by her concerned sister-in-law.

A police search of the house discovered Susan’s keys, purse and cell phone all left behind.

Josh is now a person of interest in the case, but after very limited conversations with police, he is not talking to anyone.

His behavior has shocked and frustrated those close to the family, including his own sister, Jennifer.

“I’m kind of caught in the middle. My brother is a person of interest, but my sister-in-law, my good friend is missing,” said Jennifer. “What has bothered me the most [is that] he has been reluctant to participate in the media arena, that’s our biggest tool in helping to find Susan. You are the husband! There is more that you can do! So get up and do it!” She added, “I asked him if he was involved and he wouldn’t respond...he literally doesn’t say anything…[he said] ‘my lawyer said not to talk to anyone.’”

Chuck Cox added, “In the beginning I wanted to be supportive, I believed that there would be a reasonable explanation…but as my son-in-law shut down [it became] really hard to keep positive. It’s frustrating, he won’t cooperate with the police and that’s impeding the investigation and it’s stopping us from finding my daughter.”

Also appearing on the program is Ed Smart, whose daughter Elizabeth’s tragic abduction and miraculous recovery made national headlines in 2002.

As is typical with almost all missing person cases, family members are often the first to be investigated and questioned and such was the case with Smart.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #866 on: February 15, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »

and mine Wink

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #867 on: February 15, 2010, 09:05:47 PM »

and mine Wink
And mine also 
AmandaReckonwith
Scared Monkey

« Reply #868 on: February 15, 2010, 10:52:21 PM »

Triple ditto.

Saved pictures and vids from lots of cases:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/
Lifesong
Monkey Junky

« Reply #869 on: February 16, 2010, 01:35:08 AM »

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc/story/Susan-Powells-family-Josh-abused-her/Sx5zeHgtuEOB0EzmY-gchw.cspx

Susan Powell's family: Josh abused her

Written by: Dan Metcalf Jr.
Email: dan.metcalf@abc4.com
Reported by: Brent Hunsaker
Last Update: 2/15 10:59 pm 

PUYALLUP, Wa. (ABC 4 News) - Friends and family of Susan Powell said in a news conference Monday that Josh Powell is an abusive husband.

Through family friend and spokesperson Shelby Gifford, Susan's family members revealed that Josh Powell had been abusing her for years.

Gifford said the abuse was mostly emotional in nature, but family members say Susan told one of them about at least one instance of physical abuse.  They did not offer further details about the physical abuse, only to say that the police were not called and did not Susan seek medical help.

The Cox family says Josh was very controlling of Susan, and limited her access to the couple's bank account, even though Susan was the primary breadwinner in the family in the past year. Gifford said Josh often changed the PIN number for the ATM on their account.

Gifford also said Josh would not allocate enough money for Susan to buy groceries, which caused her to become a gardener to provide enough food for the children and herself.

Gifford said the couple had been getting counseling, and that Susan made an April 6, 2010 deadline of leaving Josh if he did not mend his abusive ways. April 6th is Josh and Susan's wedding anniversary.

Susan's parents Charles and Judy Cox said they want Josh to come clean and cooperate with investigators, because they believe he knows something about her disappearance.

The family also announced the formation of the Susan Cox Powell Foundation, dedicated to assisting in those suffering from domestic abuse.

Josh Powell is now living in his father's house in Washington state not far from where the Cox family press conference was held.  ABC 4 went by the house in an attempt to talk to Josh and get his response to the allegations, but we were turned away at the door.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."  - Galileo
Lifesong
Monkey Junky

« Reply #870 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:48 AM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:44:15 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."  - Galileo
Jennifer34
Scared Monkey

« Reply #871 on: February 16, 2010, 12:40:31 PM »

Remember Jessie Davis's son had a lot to say!  Mommy is in the rug .... or something to that effect.
Jennifer34
Scared Monkey

« Reply #872 on: February 16, 2010, 12:45:49 PM »

I dont know how to delete my above comment.  I posted it in the wrong place.  My point was regarding questioning the 4 year old.  Mods, you can delete both of these.  I cant find where I even thought I was posting too, sorry.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #873 on: February 16, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »

Updated Feb 16, 2010 - 8:39 am
Missing woman's family demands answers from son-in-law

Relatives of a former Puyallup woman are losing patience with the missing woman's husband and they're demanding their son-in-law explain his wife's disappearance.

"I do believe he knows something he's not telling us," said Susan Powell's father, Chuck Cox.

It's been more than two months since Powell disappeared from her home near Salt Lake City. Until now, her father has been careful not to accuse his son-in-law, who claims his wife disappeared while he and their two young sons were camping.

"I'm not buying this story that he gave the police and I'm waiting for the rest of the story and for him to cooperate and help us find our daughter," said Cox.

"I find it very disturbing that he won't speak up or say anything...and that he doesn't seem to show concern, love, or care," said Susan's mother, Judy Cox.

Friends and relatives say Susan Powell was a victim of emotional and, in one case, physical abuse. They say she was planning to leave her husband in April. Judy Cox says until her daughter's body is found, she'll believe that Susan is still alive.

Today (Tuesday, February 16), the family appears on the Dr. Phil Show.

While police investigate Susan Powell's disappearance in Utah, her family is organizing a non-profit group to help others in a similar crisis.

"We believe that there are things we can do to help women and families who endure this same kind of struggle. We didn't feel that we should wait for Susan to be found before we got started," said family spokesperson Shelby Gifford.

Gifford said the Susan Cox Powell Foundation will provide a clearinghouse of resources about missing people and support the prevention of domestic violence.

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=284896

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #874 on: February 16, 2010, 03:32:44 PM »

Oh so Now they are gonna get mad.. 

Talk about shutting the barn door after the cattle have already gotten out..

This man could possibly kill himself and his children.
They should have grabbed the kids while they had the chance.
Who knows what is going on in that brilliant mind at this moment.
When reality hits depression sets in.
What then ? These people better get some back bone.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #875 on: February 16, 2010, 04:59:50 PM »

Dr. Phil covered Susan's case today.  I missed about the first 25 minutes.  But what I have seen has been very good.

It has been repeatedly stated that Josh is not behaving like an innocent person.

Another man was on the show who believes his son in law murdered his daughter 14 years ago.  He told Susan's parents to not let anyone interfere with their being involved in Susan's children's lives.  He'd listened to the police and others and because of it he hasn't seen his grandchildren in over three years now.  He reminded them that THEY are the only link those children will have to their mother and to keep them from forgetting what a wonderful person she is/was by talking to them about her, showing them pictures...etc.

Ed Smart (father of Elizabeth Smart) came on by satellite and said a few words.  He stated that Josh's behavior was strange too.  He has been in contact with Susan's parents on other occasions since she disappeared.

I wish I'd seen the whole show!

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #876 on: February 16, 2010, 07:04:16 PM »

Can you watch the whole thing here??
http://drphil.com/shows/show/1396

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #877 on: February 17, 2010, 01:22:01 PM »

I no longer think she was attacked by her husband..

She was drugged up by her husband when he served food earlier to her and her friend..
She went to take a nap... Never woke up.. Was put into the vehicle without a fight, as she was asleep in the vehicle and the kids were also sound asleep and by the time they woke up she was placed elsewhere..

He is in control of the family..She wanted to destroy the family.. He made sure she did not destroy the family.. He is now the family and she is under something.
He is again in control..

Take away his control !! 

Social Services needs to Take the kids !! 
I never thought I would write that.. 
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #878 on: February 17, 2010, 05:14:10 PM »

I no longer think she was attacked by her husband..

She was drugged up by her husband when he served food earlier to her and her friend..
She went to take a nap... Never woke up..
Was put into the vehicle without a fight, as she was asleep in the vehicle and the kids were also sound asleep and by the time they woke up she was placed elsewhere..

He is in control of the family..She wanted to destroy the family.. He made sure she did not destroy the family.. He is now the family and she is under something.
He is again in control..

Take away his control !! 

Social Services needs to Take the kids !! 
I never thought I would write that.. 

i think your right edward, and she prob never knew what was or did happen to her
snipped

“Not long after we ate Susan was tired and wanted to take a nap,” Owings said.

“One misconception I’d like to clear up is that Susan did not say she was sick and she did not appear sick. She was just tired and wanted to rest for a little while."
from
http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=6666.msg1064369#msg1064369

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #879 on: February 17, 2010, 06:00:53 PM »

JOSH POWELL REALTOR
http://www.nexport.com/company.cfm?company=1289871_JOSH_POWELL_REALTOR_REAL_ESTATE_SALT_LAKE_CITY_UT

his url got parked
http://www.joshpowell.com/?b4c749c0

will sell his own home im guessing

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.