April 26, 2024, 10:32:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 353371 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #960 on: March 07, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:48:53 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #961 on: March 07, 2010, 02:47:37 PM »

So on Saturday evening, Daniel and her husband gathered with others in West Valley City's Centennial Park to commemorate three months since the day Powell vanished.

Chuck Cox, Powell's father, said he is still "keeping hope alive" that his daughter will be found.

Kiirsi Hellewell, Powell's best friend in West Valley City, said she never expected the search for her friend would have stretched so long.

Joshua Powell did not attend either vigil.

He must have been busy with a Scott Petereson book he has been reading..
He did send in his sister who has been so supporting to his wifes family..
Still loves her brother.

jmho

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #962 on: March 09, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m3d9-Was-Josh-at-a-bar-drinking-the-day-his-wife-was-reported-missing
Was Josh at a bar drinking the day his wife was reported missing? (Video)
March 9, 9:17 AMSeattle Headlines ExaminerIsabelle Zehnde
March 9, 2010 - Some say Josh Powell, whose wife Susan Cox Powell vanished three months ago, was seen at a bar in Salt Lake City the afternoon Susan was reported missing.

The question is - could Josh have been in the bar at the time of Susan's disappearance?

Debbie Caldwell said, "I suppose anything's possible. I'm thinking ... if that were the case where were the boys? He claims he left around midnight with the boys and arrived home with the boys. But, no one knows where he actually was during that time. I just don't know what to think."

"There were times he was late picking Susan up," she continued. "He claimed he needed the time to do other things, though he never told me where he was or what he was doing, and Susan never mentioned he'd told her. He got off work at 4:30 p.m. and it would be after 6 p.m. before he would show up. I never thought it was my business to ask where he'd been."

"It's never made sense to me," Caldwell added, "that he would take the children away from Utah and away from the only support system they knew."
On Dec. 7, at the "Duces Wild" strip bar in South Lake, a bartender, bouncer, and at least one regular patron told West Valley City police about a week after Susan disappeared that yes, Josh was in the bar.

They said he became belligerent, and that he was one of those patrons you don't easily forget.

One of the bar owners believes that was Josh's first, and only appearance at the bar. He told ABC 4 News, “As far as I know, we’ve only seen him one time. He acted a little bit off the wall."

His co-owner, Kimberly, said, “At one point, I guess, he took somebody else’s beer off the table.” She adds that Powell was talking loudly about what a bad day he was having. “He was belligerent to the other patrons and the girls at the bar,” said Sherman, a regular who explained that he sat next to Powell.

“He just kept saying over and over, ‘I’ve had a really bad day’ and ‘I’ve got a story to tell,” Sherman said. And yet, when he finally asked him, ”What is it?” Powell refused to elaborate.

He caused such a ruckus, that when he left the bar around 4:30 p.m. Sherman said, “Everybody applauded.”

According to ABC 4 News, West Valley detectives did investigate. A department spokesman explained that since there was no surveillance video, they could not verify the story.

A week after Susan disappeared, and after seeing Josh's picture shown on the news, people at the bar said they figured out their guest was Josh Powell.
Sherman said, “He drew my attention because nobody forgets a jerk. And it’s just one of those things that bothered me … When I saw his face on TV I recognized that yeah, that is definitely the guy.”

At least one friend of Susan Powell doubts the bar story because it was “so unlike Josh.”

If it was Josh the question is, where were his two young sons, then ages 2 and 4? Josh's story was that he and his sons left on a camping trip in the middle of the night, the night his wife mysteriously disappeared.

He told police Susan went to bed around midnight, and about a half-hour later, Josh took their sons on an impromptu camping trip in the West Utah Dessert.

Josh's family reported Josh had returned home around 5 p.m. the following day. Initially friends, family, and even police believed the entire family could have died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Unlike Susan, she did not show up to daycare or to work, and did not call anyone.

Her daycare provider called family and when no one answered the door they called police. Police broke into the home and discovered Susan's purse and keys in the house but the family mini-van was missing. Two large box-style fans were aimed at a wet spot on the carpet.

When it was discovered the family was not at home family surmised they could have gone for a ride the evening before and been involved in an auto accident. Police put out an alert on the family.
Finally, later the afternoon of Dec. 7, Josh's sister, Jennifer Graves, was able to reach Josh on his cell phone. She claimed he was in town but that it took him another 30 minutes or more to get home. He then was met by police and told them he had not seen his wife since around midnight the night before.
Sources:
ABC 4 New

video at link

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #963 on: March 09, 2010, 03:12:48 PM »

Ridiculous 

Even if Josh was in the bar the day she was reported missing, it has nothing to do with the timeline in question.

No alibi for you Joshy 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #964 on: March 09, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »

At least one friend of Susan Powell doubts the bar story because it was “so unlike Josh.”  Are most of these people just blind or what? Seems to me nobody really knew this character anyway.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #965 on: March 09, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »

If he did it, he really was reading a book on Scott Peterson, because that is the kind of thing Scott Peterson did after they lost the nightclub and they moved to where his wife eventually disappeared from from what I read.
jmho
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #966 on: March 11, 2010, 08:53:26 AM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:50:18 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #967 on: March 11, 2010, 09:35:40 AM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:50:45 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #968 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:28 AM »

http://duceswildslc.com/default.aspx

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #969 on: March 11, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »

Interesting comments
http://www.tribtowns.com/comments/read_comments.asp?ref=14643707&sec=Utah#1459316

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #970 on: March 11, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »

Yes very. And Josh that delusional SOB sitting all cozy at daddy's house is thinking I got away with it 
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #971 on: March 11, 2010, 03:33:04 PM »

Mike Catts
Mojave Underground Search and Rescue

mikecatts@mojaveunderground.com

801-830-0596

They specialize in deep mine searches.. 

http://mojaveunderground.com/
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #972 on: March 15, 2010, 11:40:46 AM »

He gets away with it....

What does that say about our justice system ?
What does that say about people in general ?

Her family and friends are all God believing to a fault? or just plain gutlass ?
Or is it a matter of just complete ignorance ?

I have no idea ..

The lack of just drives me crazy..
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #973 on: March 17, 2010, 07:06:22 AM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jE-50f71E8ypwigW42nKuDx27hxAD9EGAGGG2
Friends to search Utah campsite for missing mom

(AP) – 1 hour ago

SALT LAKE CITY — Friends of a Utah mother missing since December plan a search of the remote desert area where the woman's husband says he was winter camping when she disappeared.

In a Facebook post, Kiirsi Hellewell says a search for Susan Powell will be held April 10 at the Simpson Springs campground area. Hellewell says volunteers are needed to conduct the daylong search.

Simpson Springs is about 110 miles southwest of Salt Lake City near the Pony Express Trail.

Susan Powell was last seen at her West Valley City home on Dec. 7. Her husband Josh Powell told police he saw his wife as he left with the couple's young sons for an overnight desert camping trip.

Police have called Josh Powell a person of interest in the case, but he has not been arrested or charged.
On the Net:

* _ Friends and Family of Susan Powell: http://tiny.cc/pYRVb

~ Peter Frampton
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #974 on: March 17, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jE-50f71E8ypwigW42nKuDx27hxAD9EGAGGG2
Friends to search Utah campsite for missing mom

(AP) – 1 hour ago

SALT LAKE CITY — Friends of a Utah mother missing since December plan a search of the remote desert area where the woman's husband says he was winter camping when she disappeared.

In a Facebook post, Kiirsi Hellewell says a search for Susan Powell will be held April 10 at the Simpson Springs campground area. Hellewell says volunteers are needed to conduct the daylong search.

Simpson Springs is about 110 miles southwest of Salt Lake City near the Pony Express Trail.

Susan Powell was last seen at her West Valley City home on Dec. 7. Her husband Josh Powell told police he saw his wife as he left with the couple's young sons for an overnight desert camping trip.

Police have called Josh Powell a person of interest in the case, but he has not been arrested or charged.
On the Net:

* _ Friends and Family of Susan Powell: http://tiny.cc/pYRVb

A comment on the Facebook page:

Jeff Staheli I am the Assistant Chief of Bridgerland Fire Company based out of Logan. We have a Search and Rescue Team ready to go at a moment's notice. I saw the report on KSL and we would like to extend our services. Most of us are prior or current military, law enforcement and/or firefighter qualified. All of us are qualifie...d Community Emergency Response Team (C.E.R.T.) members through FEMA and are medically trained to provide emergency care. We are very well trained in search and rescue efforts, have all necessary gear and are wanting to help on April 10th. You can count on 6-12 people. You will find further contact information for me through the discussion related to this search. The sooner the response the better as it will allow us more time to coordinate with you. Thank you and we will continue to pray for you.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=search&gid=198478842187
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #975 on: March 17, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »

Deseret Morning News (Salt Lake City) 
March 17, 2010 Wednesday 

Volunteers planning search for clues in Susan Powell case

WEST VALLEY CITY - Friends and supporters of Susan Cox Powell are organizing a search effort to look for clues in the case of the missing West Valley mother of two. A group is asking for volunteers to help search the area around the Simpson Springs campground in Tooele County on April 10. West Valley police, however, disclosed Tuesday that they have already conducted several searches in that area over the past three months. "We weren't telling everyone we were doing it, but we were doing it," said West Valley Police Capt.

Tom McLachlan. Simpson Springs is where Josh Powell, Susan Powell's husband, said he took their two young boys camping in their minivan on Dec. 7, about midnight. It was later that day that she was reported missing. Josh Powell's camping story has been the subject of intense public scrutiny. Even members of Susan Powell's family have said they don't believe she would have allowed her husband to take her boys to a remote area at midnight in below freezing weather. Now that the snow has started to melt, the goal of search organizers is to clear the Simpson Springs area once and for all. "We just want to bring closure to the only possible area the general public knows about," said search co-organizer Shawn Sorensen.

"Basically, what we're looking for is any clues that Susan or Josh were in this area. If there are no clues, that is a significant finding in and of itself," said co-organizer JoAnn Bentley. Sorensen has never met Susan Powell or her family. But he said he was captivated by her story and felt the urge to help after seeing news reports about how passionate her friends and family are about finding her.

West Valley police initially conducted a search of the area in December, but their efforts were thwarted by fresh snow. Since then, McLachlan said, investigators have quietly returned to the area. "We have conducted numerous searches, many not publicized," he said, while declining to be specific on how much area was searched and when the last search was conducted.

McLachlan said a volunteer search won't hinder West Valley's investigation, but police do want to coordinate with the group to make sure that if any potential evidence is found, it is handled properly. "Don't put it in a bag and run it in here to show us what you found. Leave it where it is to preserve potential evidence," he said.

A West Valley officer will more than likely be on hand for the search, McLachlan said. Police say Josh Powell has refused to give them a specific location of where he was that night or show them in person where he allegedly went camping. He has been named a person of interest in his wife's disappearance. While the police search involved about 20 people looking for a person, Bentley and Sorensen hope their search will include about 2,000 people looking for any clues in the case.

The group said it received permission from Susan Powell's family to conduct the search. Organizers are asking for people, especially those who own and know how to use a GPS device, to join them in the search. Search parties should be in groups of four, or individuals will be matched with others there to make groups of four. Volunteers are also being asked to carpool to the remote area and bring water. Volunteers will also need to sign a waiver before searching. No one under age 16 will be allowed to search. Teens between the ages of 16 and 18 will need to be accompanied by an adult. The search is scheduled from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. on April 10.

"We have talked about it over the last month, saying, 'When are we going to do this, when are we going to do this?' Once we got permission to put it on the (Susan Powell) Facebook page, it came about quite quickly," Sorensen said.
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1145830646&start=2

chi-monkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #976 on: March 17, 2010, 04:31:33 PM »

Wonderful!  It is critical that Susan be found, otherwise Josh may slip free of any charges.  Perhaps her friends aren't as strange as I thought.  Hope not. 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #977 on: March 19, 2010, 02:37:14 PM »

Missing 30-year old Steven Koecher; police consider Josh Powell's use of rental car possible link

March 1, 2010 - Steven Koecher, an upstanding citizen who served others, who had no criminal or drug-related history, and who seemed happy with his life in St. George, suddenly vanished Dec. 13, 2009 - just six days after Susan Powell disappeared.

Is there a connection between the two cases? It's far-fetched, Steven's family says, but it's worth investigating.

Steven's mother, Deanne Koecher, said the reason they were interested is Susan Powell's case and investigating the possibility the two cases were connected was because of a road trip through Tooele that Josh Powell, Susan's husband, took at around the time Steven disappeared.

Police in Henderson and St. George are not ruling anything out and consider a possible link between the two cases. They are, in particular, interested in the trip Josh Powell took in a rental car.

She said, "It seems far but we welcome any information sharing."

According to police, Steven was last seen at an upscale retirement community in Las Vegas December 13.

Rolf Koecher, Steven's father, said St. George police detectives indicated to him that Susan's family had asked the department to look for any link between the two cases. He told the Deseret News that while he has personally dismissed the notion his family is open to any investigation.

Shelby Gifford, spokeswoman for Susan Powell's family, told The Deseret News Friday she doesn't know whether the family had made such a request but said it was "possible" as Susan's family has asked West Valley to investigate any cases that may reasonably be related.

Susan Powell, 28, disappeared from her West Valley City home Dec. 6. Her husband was the last person to see her. His story that he took his two young sons on an impromptu camping trip in the middle of the night during sub-freezing temperatures the night his wife disappeared has been largely criticized and disbelieved.

Less than a month after she vanished, Josh packed up their family belongings and moved their two young children, then ages 2 and 4, to his father's home in Puyallup, Wash. Nearly three months after her disappearance Josh remains the only person of interest police call a "missing person's case with suspicious criminal overtones."

Rolf Koecher said, "I personally don't think there's a connection, but Dec. 7 she disappeared and he traveled through that area around that date. There's some speculation that he and Susan Powell took off together."

He elaborated in a written statement to Utah television station KCSG:

"While it appears that Steven is close in age to Susan Powell and was driving through the Salt Lake City area within a day or two of her disappearance, any connection between the two seems entirely coincidental to us. Because we want to remain open to all possibilities, no matter how improbable, we have no issue with an exchange of information between the St. George and West Valley City police departments."

"We would be surprised to think there could be a connection," said Deanne. "We just do not want to rule out anything of interest."

Deanne said that before his disappearance, her son had been in Ruby, Nev., and was in northern Utah Dec. 9 -11 before returning to St. George.

During a news conference Friday in Henderson, Nev., officials announced they have found no evidence the 30-year-old traveled out of the area by bus or plane.

About 40 members of Koecher's family attended the news conference in Henderson City Hall.

Koecher's car was found parked in a Sun City Anthem cul-de-sac, an upscale residential community in Henderson, around noon on Dec. 13, the day he disappeared.

A short time later surveillance video of the area from a nearby home's security camera shows a man believed to be Koecher walking away from the car.

Christmas gifts were found in the vehicle and there was no sign of foul play.

No one has come forward saying they have heard from him since that day.

The day Steven went missing is also the last day he used his cell phone, email, and a debit card. It is not believed he left the country because his passport was found during a search of his St. George home.

"It's been two months," said Koecher's father during a Friday news conference in front of Henderson City Hall.

"There's no smoking gun, and we've got hundreds of clues that tell us what it isn't, but not one that tells us what it is," Rolf Koecher told the Review-Journal.

Rolf and Deanne Koecher, Steven's mother, said that so far, all leads have turned up dry.

FOX 13 News interviewed Deanne and said that Steven was happy in his new life in St. George. He moved there from Bountiful a year ago in hopes of landing a new job.

Steven was a recent University of Utah graduate. Before he disappeared he was working for a window washing company in St. George and seemed happy with his job. He faithfully served his church and mentored kids with the Big Brother Program.

Steven's parents Friday offered a $10,000 reward to anyone who can provide information leading to Steven's whereabouts, or the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for his abduction or death.

"We can't believe we can't find him, can't hold him, that we can't tell him how much we love him," Deanna said.

Anyone with information about the disappearance of Susan Powell should contact the West Valley City Police at 801-840-4000.

Anyone with information about the disappearance of Steven Koecher should contact Henderson, NV Police at 702-267-5000 or St George, UT Police at 435-627-4300.

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m3d1-Missing-30year-old-Steven-Koecher-police-consider-link-consider-Josh-Powells-use-of-rental-car#comments

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #978 on: March 19, 2010, 03:11:29 PM »

Am thinking that there likely is no connection between the missing Steven Koecher and Josh's use of the rental car.   Altho I did post the above info so folks here at SM would know what has been talked about elsewhere. 

Didn't Josh return the rental car on Dec. 10th?  And Steven Koecher was last seen about 400 miles away in Henderson, three days later, on Dec. 13th.     

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #979 on: March 19, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »

All coinkydink...no connection

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.