April 26, 2024, 11:33:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 353356 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #980 on: March 19, 2010, 07:11:34 PM »

Susan Cox Powell Update: Tooele Sheriff Deputy on his way to West Desert
March 19, 3:19 PM

March 19, 2010 - Thursday Examiner.com reported that a cement strip the size and shape of a human body was found in the West Desert in Utah by a person searching for clues into the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell.

On February 16 Linda Osborne, who has been searching for clues into Susan's disappearance since December, was out searching in Utah's West Desert. She stumbled upon a concrete strip about 7' long and about 2.5' to 3' wide. One area of the strip was wider than the other, appearing it could be covering a body, the wider area possibly the size of a person's shoulders.

The area where Osborne located the cement strip is off of Hwy 80 near the Skull Valley Road off ramp, There is an old abandoned gas station at Rowley Junction. The cement strip is down a dirt road off of Skull Valley Road at Rowley Junction about 500 to 750 feet from the abandoned gas station.

"This piece of cement is not something that was left behind from the abandoned station. It was clearly poured in its current location," Osborne said.

She reported her findings to West Valley City Police and to the Tooele Sheriff's Department in February. She was dismayed to see no one had followed up and investigated her finding.

Friday Examiner.com spoke with Sheriff Frank Parks who said, "We've got a deputy on his way out there right now to see if he can locate it."

Sheriff Parks said he personally had not seen the email that Osborne sent in February with photos, a map, and description of what she found. Once he learned about the cement strip from Examiner.com he immediately sent a deputy to investigate.

A ground search effort is scheduled April 10 in the Simpson Springs area. Parks said that while the department cannot be involved in coordinating the volunteer ground search effort they do plan to work with those coordinating the search.

Parks said they will provide ground search coordinators with phone numbers and that they have a medical helicopter to assist if it should become necessary.

While their department, like most, are experiencing budget cuts and lack of manpower, Parks plans to have deputies close at hand ready to help if the need arises.

He said, "It should be a very interesting day."

"I would love nothing more than for this family to have closure," Parks said.

Susan Cox Powell was reported missing Dec. 7 from her West Valley City home. Her husband, Josh Powell, is the last known person to see her. He moved with their two young sons to live with his father in his hometown of Puyallup, Wash., less than a month after Susan disappeared.

Josh is the only person of interest in what police call a missing person's case with suspicious criminal overtones.

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m3d19-Susan-Cox-Powell-Update-Tooele-Sheriff-Deputy-on-his-way-to-West-Desert
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:26:09 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #981 on: March 19, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »

Am glad this is finally being checked out by LE.   It's sad that the info was reported a month ago, to two different LE agencies, but wasn't acted on until someone from the Examiner asked LE about it.  It's not like LE has been unindated with 1000s of tips and leads in this case, too busy to have followed up on this. 

IMO, more like they didn't want to be bothered, and when the Examiner came knocking, they had to get off their azzes.  Sorry if that's not nice or accurate.  Just seems that way to me.     

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #982 on: March 19, 2010, 09:04:48 PM »

Am glad this is finally being checked out by LE.   It's sad that the info was reported a month ago, to two different LE agencies, but wasn't acted on until someone from the Examiner asked LE about it.  It's not like LE has been unindated with 1000s of tips and leads in this case, too busy to have followed up on this. 

IMO, more like they didn't want to be bothered, and when the Examiner came knocking, they had to get off their azzes.  Sorry if that's not nice or accurate.  Just seems that way to me.     

Hi Wyks sure looks that way to me also.  Thanks Nut for the article.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #983 on: March 20, 2010, 10:13:27 AM »

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88714232.html

Missing woman's father: Visit to campsite 'confirms it'

by KOMO Staff

Originally printed at http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88714232.html

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah -- Susan Powell's father no longer believes his son-in-law's story has any credibility.

This week, Chuck Cox went to Simpson Springs in remote Tooele County in Utah. For the first time, he saw for himself the campground where Josh Powell claims he went the night his wife disappeared.

It has been more than three months since Susan Powell was last seen.

Josh Powell claims he left her at home on the night of Dec. 6 and drove his two boys the two hours to Simpson Springs, where they camped out and cooked s'mores.

Cox always had his doubts about his son-in-law's claims, but he had to see for himself.

He hit the road toward Simpson Springs, turning off the pavement and down the hard-packed dirt road in his car. And for the next hour, he wound his way through hills and down increasingly narrow roads.

"My daughter never would have let him out of the house with the kids that night to go camping," he said.

Josh Powell claims he made the journey down an unlit road with his kids in the dark of night as a major winter storm approached.

Cox believes on that December morning, the pass to the campsite would have been impassible, especially considering Josh Powell was driving a minivan with front-wheel drive and little clearance.

"You get pulled into there, get stuck real easily in a car like this," he said, seeing potentially problematic areas.

At the campground, Cox ran into a scout troop from Riverton. It just so happened the troop was also camping at Simpson Springs on the weekend of Dec. 6, and left just as the flurries were starting.

"i have never been in a camp that cold," one scout said.

To walk among the campsites of Simpson Springs was a revelation for the grieving father. His speculation hardened into belief. He now firmly believes that whatever happened that night did not happen at Simpson Springs.

"It confirms it. The only hard thing is thinking she could be out somewhere... a place like this," said Cox.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #984 on: March 20, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »

Does anyone remember if LE reported using Luminol in the home or the vehicle? I don't remember reading of that. If not, then why? I remember they 'tested the wet spot' at the house, but I would guess they have not used Luminol, which they should...asap.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:06:07 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #985 on: March 20, 2010, 11:34:55 AM »

Does anyone remember if LE reported using Luminol in the home or the vehicle? I don't remember reading of that. If not, then why? I remember they 'tested the wet spot' at the house, but I would guess they have not used Luminol, which they should...asap.
I don't recall that either, I can only hope they did 
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #986 on: March 20, 2010, 03:44:05 PM »

Quote"
Susan Powell's father no longer believes his son-in-law's story has any credibility.
end..

Well... That took awhile. 

As soon as he opened his mouth with the first story I would have beat him senseless.  Monkey Devil!
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #987 on: March 20, 2010, 10:39:44 PM »

does anyone have a email contact for the cox's, the 4x4 and hiking camp season is
coming to utah, i'd like to suggest they start putting posters at trail-heads, supply stores
gas stations grocery near the parks and wilderness areas, within a hundred mile radius
of salt lake, keep susans name and face out there

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #988 on: March 21, 2010, 07:43:39 AM »

This is all I could find

http://www.susancoxpowellfoundation.org/About/Contact.aspx

akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #989 on: March 21, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »

Quote"
Susan Powell's father no longer believes his son-in-law's story has any credibility.
end..

As soon as he opened his mouth with the first story I would have beat him senseless.  Monkey Devil!

Seriously, I have not been able to understand her family at all in this.

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #990 on: March 21, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »

Quote"
end..

Seriously, I have not been able to understand her family at all in this.

I have to agree her family just seemed so passive...maybe their faith has kept them calm. I would be a blooming idiot if it were my child...I just pray Susan is found soon.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:43:25 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #991 on: March 22, 2010, 12:38:23 AM »

Friends of Susan Powell suspect that her body made be hidden in concrete slab

March 21, 8:39 PMSalt Lake City Headlines ExaminerMarci Stone

Friends of Susan Powell suspect that her body made be hidden in concrete slab (see photo)

Susan Powell’s friends and family members refused to give up the search and have been searching the area of the West Desert in Utah for her body. This is the area that Susan’s husband, Josh said he took the children camping at 12:30 am on December 7, the day that Susan Powell disappeared. Searchers have found what they believe could contain Susan Powell’s body in a cement dump located in the West Desert.

Linda Osbourne is one the searchers. According to ABC 4, Osbourne found the concrete slab that is approximately seven feet long and three feet wide. Osbourne suspects the cement could be covering a body.

Friday, the Tooele County Sheriff's department went out to take a look at the slab. Investigators said that they didn’t believe the slab was suspicious, but intend to go back out Monday and turn the concrete slab over to see if anything can be seen. Investigators have asked that searchers for Susan Powell’s body stay away from the concrete slab until they get a chance to look at it closer.

Susan Powell, 28, has been missing since December 7, 2010. Josh Powell is the only person who has been named a person of interest in the case. The police have stated that the case is highly suspicious. Josh Powell moved from their Salt Lake City, Utah home to Washington State about a month after his wife disappeared with their children. Josh has not actively participated in the search for Susan.

http://www.examiner.com/x-19632-Salt-Lake-City-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m3d21-Friends-of-Susan-Powell-suspect-that-her-body-made-be-hidden-in-concrete-slab-see-photo

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #992 on: March 22, 2010, 12:01:05 PM »

Friends of Susan Powell suspect that her body made be hidden in concrete slab (see photo)

Susan Powell’s friends and family members refused to give up the search and have been searching the area of the West Desert in Utah for her body. This is the area that Susan’s husband, Josh said he took the children camping at 12:30 am on December 7, the day that Susan Powell disappeared. Searchers have found what they believe could contain Susan Powell’s body in a cement dump located in the West Desert.

Linda Osbourne is one the searchers. According to ABC 4, Osbourne found the concrete slab that is approximately seven feet long and three feet wide. Osbourne suspects the cement could be covering a body.

Friday, the Tooele County Sheriff's department went out to take a look at the slab. Investigators said that they didn’t believe the slab was suspicious, but intend to go back out Monday and turn the concrete slab over to see if anything can be seen. Investigators have asked that searchers for Susan Powell’s body stay away from the concrete slab until they get a chance to look at it closer.

Susan Powell, 28, has been missing since December 7, 2010. Josh Powell is the only person who has been named a person of interest in the case. The police have stated that the case is highly suspicious. Josh Powell moved from their Salt Lake City, Utah home to Washington State about a month after his wife disappeared with their children. Josh has not actively participated in the search for Susan.

http://www.examiner.com/x-19632-Salt-Lake-City-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m3d21-Friends-of-Susan-Powell-suspect-that-her-body-made-be-hidden-in-concrete-slab-see-photo

Thanks cartfly.  They didn't think it was suspicious?????????????????????   Um, so piles of concrete frequently end up out in the desert???????  Do they know how you make concrete?  You don't just pull it out of your back pocket......I hope they get on this quick

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #993 on: March 23, 2010, 12:18:03 AM »

Thanks cartfly.  They didn't think it was suspicious?????????????????????   Um, so piles of concrete frequently end up out in the desert???????  Do they know how you make concrete?  You don't just pull it out of your back pocket......I hope they get on this quick
[/quote]

I know...WTH??? They sound like they couldn't be bothered on the weekend to look into it completely. Honestly, sounds like a bunch of morons running that LE agency.

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #994 on: March 23, 2010, 12:45:08 AM »

New concerns about planned search for Susan Powell

Reported by: Brent Hunsaker
Last Update: 9:52 pm
3/22/10

Tooele County campground (ABC 4 News)

TOOELE COUNTY, Utah (ABC 4 News) - In just under three weeks, as many as two thousand volunteers could descend on Simpson Springs in rural Tooele County to search for clues to the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell. Susan's husband, Josh Powell says he was camping at Simpson Springs with his two small boys the night she vanished.

But there is growing concern over that search from the Tooele County Sheriff, the Cox family and the Bureau of Land Management.

The BLM's concerns: Where are all those searchers going to park? Even if they come four to a car, two thousand searchers would mean 500 cars in a place that can't handle a fraction of that number. What's more, taking any vehicle off the roads is strictly forbidden.

On Friday, Chuck Cox journeyed with ABC 4 to Simpson Springs. He made it clear the family does not endorse the search. "We're not part of that search," he said.

Primarily, the family is worried for the safety of the volunteers. "Depending on how many people you had up here, it could be dangerous," Cox explained. "I don't know that it would be worth the risk."

Tooele County Sheriff Frank Park said he's already said "no" to taking over the search. "No chance at all. We'll be there -- we'll be present -- but I can't handle that kind of liability to have two-thousand volunteers marching through the desert. No way," he said.

In fact, Sheriff Park said individual searchers are already putting a strain on his resources. He said hardly a weekend goes by with a handful of tips coming in about suspicious mounds. "They've found a lot of interesting things, but nothing to do with Susan Powell." In many cases, he said people have found the remote grave of a family pet.

Still, his deputies investigate every tip. Sheriff Park emphasized, "Volunteers are great. People out on their own are great. It's just becoming a continual drain on our resources."
Chuck Cox added, "We need to let the police do the police work."

The Cox family remains very grateful for all the people who are willing to help them in their time of desperate need. But the family believes the help is needed elsewhere, not in Utah's west desert.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/New-concerns-about-planned-search-for-Susan-Powell/4bqHjEihG0K1aYZpBxo0iQ.cspx

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #995 on: March 23, 2010, 12:15:48 PM »

Brent Hunsaker - My ride to the west desert with Susan Powell’s father.

Reported by: Brent Hunsaker
Last Update: 10:07 am
SIMPSON SPRINGS, Tooele County (ABC 4 News) - In the last three months, Chuck Cox has had to learn a new skill. Besides being a husband and father, a career FAA man and devout Mormon, he’s now also a tightrope walker.

Chuck has learned the balancing act.

He walks a thin line between keeping up the pressure on Josh Powell to cooperate with police while not becoming his prosecutor and judge.

He’s also keeping up the pressure on police investigators while not becoming a drain on their resources.

And for the thousands of people in Utah, Washington and around the world who have rallied in this time of great need, he’s had to balance expressions of gratitude and encouragement with caution that they not do anything that puts them in peril.

With that as backdrop, Friday afternoon photographer Matt Lee and I met Chuck Cox and his friend, Mike Gifford, in the parking lot of the McDonald’s in Tooele where we began our journey into the west desert. The afternoon was mostly Sunny, with the temperature in the mid-40’s. There was also a cold, gusting wind that bit through jackets and made eyes water.

The cold and the isolation of the place were something of a revelation.

Chuck had almost made it out to Simpson Springs the previous day with a police detective. But after a few miles down the dirt road of the old Pony Express Trail, he said he “got the point” and asked to turn around. He did not wish to waste the detective’s time.

As we drove that next day I had no idea how after we would go. This was only my 2nd trip down the trail and my first to Simpson Springs. I too wanted to see for myself this place where Josh Powell says he took his boys on the night his wife disappeared, but I deferred to Chuck the final decision. It is his daughter who is missing and his son-in-law’s story. We would go only as far as he wanted to go.

We stopped once after we'd left the pavement – about as far as he’d gone the day before. We talked for a few minutes, swapped passengers – Matt got into Chuck’s minivan so he could take a few pictures – and went a little farther.

We stopped again at the top of Lookout Pass. Gazing out over the expanse to the west of us, I tried to gage the direction and distance to the Springs. (Turns out I was off by a few degrees and more than a few miles. I am no Sacagawea.) Still, we resolved to keep going.

16 miles and 40 minutes later, we arrived at our destination: The campgrounds at Simpson Springs.

There wasn’t much to the place; a stone monument, a stone building and a few scattered stone remnants of other pioneer era structures. The campgrounds were little more than small clearings with fire pits scattered among the trees and brush of the hillside.

Chuck wandered alone for a long time.

We shot more pictures, but maintained a respectful distance. Even later when we did our final interview of that day, I felt it best not to pry too deeply into what was going through his mind as he walked down the several paths and through the brush.

I surmised he was searching more for a feeling than a thing. He wanted to know if his daughter’s fate was somehow tied to this place. And he seemed to come away more determined than ever that the answer would not be found there.

I believe that is why the Cox family has now come out with even stronger statements of caution about the planned search of the Simpson Springs area on April 10th.

Yes, they worry about the dangers involved in searching such a remote area with a large group of volunteers of varying skills and abilities. The family did not ask for the search nor are they involved its organization. Yet if someone were to get hurt, it would only add to the burden that already weighs on them.

But it is more than that. They fear it would be a waste of the time and energies of a lot of good and kind people.

I believe that’s what he came away with after finally seeing the west desert and tracing its dusty roads.

On the high wire, Chuck Cox is also trying to balance the welfare of “the ninety and nine” while still going after she who is lost.
http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4/blogs/story/Brent-Hunsaker-My-ride-to-the-west-desert-with/fkTWAxuCK0eg60RkyrnE6g.cspx

mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #996 on: March 23, 2010, 06:27:48 PM »

Any word on this yet?  I'm assuming they meant they'd return yesterday  unless of course it's a Monday 2 weeks from now......in complete astonishment on how this case is being (man)handled
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #997 on: March 23, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »

ita...no word yet.

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #998 on: March 23, 2010, 07:53:30 PM »

If Josh said he went right on the night in question .. Then, He most certainly went left..

Just watch him talk with that reporter in the first interview..and when asked where he went camping, Josh stutters .. Just like a child that lies. he made up a lie and spit it out.

He lied and he never went to the area he mentioned..

jmho
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #999 on: March 24, 2010, 07:40:36 AM »

Bingo, Edward.....Bingo

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.