April 19, 2024, 02:44:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: justinsmama's family's roller coaster ride with Mom  (Read 17376 times)
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 11:12:04 AM »

Whoo Hooo
You are right to keep your SIL away given that she is having a bad effect on your Mum's vitals.
We used to have some heated discussions at the hospital when my Mum and then my Dad were ill. But it was in the family room or in the cafeteria. The cafeteria is a good place for your SIL.
Writing missives to God and putting them in the prayer box in the Chapel was good for me.
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2006, 12:58:03 PM »

Praying for you, Justins'.  Hang in there!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2006, 03:02:14 PM »

Our prayers and our love Justins, for you and Justin, for your mother to be healed, and your family to make her health the priority.

We'll be thinking of you often.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2006, 05:14:59 PM »

Justins' M,

One more post before I go off to my family's to let you know I'm thinking of you and your family and saying prayers for a speedy recovery and a blessed holiday.

Hugs,
Beans
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2006, 07:39:28 PM »

Justins wrote;
I also dragged evryone to the waiting room's computer and made them read Bleached's posts. They liked what (s)he (?) had to say about it all. They also liked Bleached's hair. Confused Sick bunch, ain't they? Razz Wink

Noooooow  Nooooow   is that nice? Some people just have a higher understanding of true beauty  Wink  Wink

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 08:11:17 PM »

I am keeping you and all your family in my prayers, Justins Mama.

Oh by the way I do understand true beauty. Love your hair Bleachedblack.

Just a swinging with the tribe
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 08:49:37 PM »

Quote from: "Sam"
I am keeping you and all your family in my prayers, Justins Mama.

Oh by the way I do understand true beauty. Love your hair Bleachedblack.

Ain't bleached just the most attractive monkey you've ever laid eyes on? And smart, too!

Well, ticked off a couple siblings this evening. They don't care for my, uh, bedside manner. Mom has taken Prozac for years for depression. On top of everything, she has been without it since last Tuesday. So I told my mother that I would ask the nursing staff to make the doc is aware of it, and to get her started back on it as soon as is feasible (she will have to be able to take it by mouth). I told her that it would help with some of the anxiety and depression, which impacts her mindset. Baby sister nearly had a cow. Said I would "plant" the idea of depression in Mom. LOL! Gotta love 'em, coz they are family. Told brother # 2 that they'd really be ticked at me if I were a physician.  

Mom is holding her own, though she surely does not like that mask. I asked her to be patient, assuring her that she had reached a major milestone this morning with having it off for 4 1/2 hours. Told her tomorrow would be even better, as she is gaining more ground each day, and it will a wonderful Christmas gift for all of us. Also told her that when she is home and back on her feet, she's getting a new wardrobe since she's positively skinny now! She is not really anywhere near skinny, but she has understandably lost a great deal of weight and is comparatively "skinny" (probably just above 200 lbs.) now. And told her that with this operation, the persistent anemia she has had will likely be taken care of, and she will have more energy (I'm crossing my fingers on that one). Encouraged her to try to sleep as much as she can to get through this part, it would be over soon. She listened, closed her eyes and drifted off.

SIL was back. She just cannot stay away from Mom's room! Brother # 1 finally took her out of the hospital.

Her WBC is going down, but she is still febrile. Oxygen level is adequate. They want it better before taking the mask off again. I truly hope she can have it off tomorrow for longer periods of time. Other vitals are very good. HR is down to low to mid 90's bpm.

Gotta go get Justin now. Santa has been here today and J is ready to come home and see what loot was left by the fat old elf!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006, 10:40:09 PM »

oh Justins that sounds as if progress is being made, I will keep her and your family in our prayers for steady progress.

Merry Christmas and many hugs !!!

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006, 10:43:51 PM »

Thanks for the update, I was away for the day and was thinking about you all...... Smile

I told her that it would help with some of the anxiety and depression, which impacts her mindset.
I think you are absolutely right in being concerned about this and bringing the subject up. Talking about depression, as you know, doesn't make one depressed. Many of the SSRI drugs like prozac, paxil etc. have fairly severe withdrawal symptoms, which was not previously thought to be the case. Of course it is not of primary concern until she is eating and taking things by mouth, IMO someone has to keep in view the whole picture , and often the docs fail to do just that.  Wink

I asked her to be patient, assuring her that she had reached a major milestone this morning with having it off for 4 1/2 hours.
4 1/2 hours is a good start. Did they put her on a Venti Mask when they took the BIPAP off? ....as opposed to a nasal canula? it is likely they did, VM can deliver high concentrations of O2 than nasal canula..... Usually the oxygen saturation=pulse oximeter which she likely wears on her finger is what determines readiness to wean from BIPAP along with Mom's general appearance with regards to respiratory effort.  Usually if the o2 saturation is > or = to 92% she's good .

Her WBC is going down, but she is still febrile. Oxygen level is adequate. They want it better before taking the mask off again. I truly hope she can have it off tomorrow for longer periods of time. Other vitals are very good. HR is down to low to mid 90's bpm
All sounds well. It makes me happy to think Mom  will have this Christmas with her family.......

Question: This was 4th post-op day if I am counting correctly? Did they get her out of bed? Maybe tomorrow she would at least feel up to sitting in bed with her legs over the bedside, where she can sit up and dangle for a few min.? It will help clear her lungs and consequently get rid og BIPAP  Evil or Very Mad

Thanks for the update.....my prayers are with you .

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2006, 10:46:58 PM »

Ain't bleached just the most attractive monkey you've ever laid eyes on? And smart, too!

Now yer talkin'  Wink

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2006, 11:00:21 PM »

Surgery was Tuesday at 11 pm and surgeon came up at 1 am Wednesday to talk to us. It went faster than he had anticipated. So Saturday was day 4 post off.

They have not sat her up at all. I'll ask about that tomorrow.

I just hate seeing (and knowing) she is in such discomfort. Wish there were a long acting, injectable Prozac.

I realize that she will have to have the mask off to eat, but else needs to happen before she can start receiving anything orally? She asked for water today, and they would only let her suck on a wet sponge (bet that was satisfying! NOT!).

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2006, 11:01:49 PM »

Oxygen # (%?) is 91 on the vitals screen. Sigh.

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2006, 12:02:17 AM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"
Surgery was Tuesday at 11 pm and surgeon came up at 1 am Wednesday to talk to us. It went faster than he had anticipated. So Saturday was day 4 post off.

They have not sat her up at all. I'll ask about that tomorrow.

I just hate seeing (and knowing) she is in such discomfort. Wish there were a long acting, injectable Prozac.

I realize that she will have to have the mask off to eat, but else needs to happen before she can start receiving anything orally? She asked for water today, and they would only let her suck on a wet sponge (bet that was satisfying! NOT!).

5-7 (maybe 9)days after bowel surgery is not unusual. If it is going to be much longer than that before someone can eat they will often feed them a hyperalimentation fluid via IV access usually into a major vein ie superior vena cava. This is more of a "complete" nutritional replacement above and beyond regular IV fluid, it is called TPN.  

Several times a day medical staff will/should ascultate your Mom's abdomen with stethescope for bowel sounds. When the rumblings of gas are heard in the intestines ,and your Mom is passing gas  the doc will likely start her on a clear fluid diet.

Your Mom's gastrointestinal system went into a type of "shock" from bleeding, and  anemia caused by loss of blood. They anesthetics used to render her unconscous for surgery also "paralyze" the bowel. Analgesics given post-op slow the return of gastric motility and bowel function. Here is where each person is different, and many factors including age, length of surgery, type of surgery, and on and on come into play. Often the surgeon will place a nasogastric tube in the nose connected to suction to drain stomach contents and allow the gut to heal until "bowel sounds" indicate return of function.

One of the most important things that can be done to help with the return of bowel function is to start patient moving as soon as possible. Like I mentioned , dangle at the bedside if not yet able to get out-of-bed to a chair.

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2006, 12:08:44 AM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"
Oxygen # (%?) is 91 on the vitals screen. Sigh.

Not great, but not terrible. In someone of your Mom's age, with a history of smoking , with possible co-existing condition(s) of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and/or emphysema , we will often settle for lower numbers........it is what she has been used to. If she is comfortable, not short-of-breath, not breathing to fast, or to labored, then it's probably the norm for her.

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2006, 12:10:51 AM »

Prozac doesn't work for pain?  Nor should Mom have to endure pain. Morphine is a great drug.

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2006, 01:32:34 AM »

Quote from: "bleachedblack"
Prozac doesn't work for pain?  Nor should Mom have to endure pain. Morphine is a great drug.

It's more her mood and any SSRI withdrawal that concerns me with restarting her Prozac. There is an oral solution. Might be more tolerable once she can take anything orally?

She is off the morphine pump, and on a low dosage, steady morphine drip. Ativan order discontinued, though I haven't a clue as to why.

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2006, 09:07:02 AM »

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Mask is again OFF! Mom is sitting up and coughing up gunk. She has pneumonia. Doc said it is expected. Sister #1 asked if it was a little or a lot. Doc said a little. Mom is grouchy! YAY! Sister # 1 told her that it would hurt when she would cough. Mom irritably replied "I know it!" LOL! She also irritably tol doc "GET ME UP." Hehehe! I love it! Gave her ice chips, too! Ah, I have a feeling that we are all in for a royal arse whooping once Mom is up for it! We will all gladly take it, each begging to be first! LOL! I've not been spanked since I was a child.

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2006, 11:33:39 AM »

You are right.......great sign!

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2006, 02:48:32 PM »

I am soooooo relieved! Went to the hospital to see Mom. They were preparing to get her to sit on the edge of the bed. I helped. Mom was alert and talking some! Dangled legs for a bit and then helped her lie down again. Whoooooohooooo!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2006, 02:50:15 PM »

How wonderful, Merry Christmas Justins !

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.