April 28, 2024, 04:23:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #565 12/25 - 12/27/2006  (Read 96682 times)
tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #840 on: December 27, 2006, 01:15:39 AM »

Quote from: "Tylergal"
There was something that was just so romantic about GIs meeting the perfect woman on their leave from the service, returning to the war, writing letters and then returning home to each other or not.  That World War II era was just such a sad time for so many thousands and thousands of Americans lost in a war, but what a good outcome and great movies as a result of it.

When I think of my Dad, who died many years ago, and think of what he and my Mom accomplished, I believe with all my heart that they are indeed the Greatest Generation.  My Mom, and my in-laws are still here, all in their early 80s, and I look at them with such respect and awe.
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #841 on: December 27, 2006, 01:17:33 AM »

Quote from: "tcumom"
There was something that was just so romantic about GIs meeting the perfect woman on their leave from the service, returning to the war, writing letters and then returning home to each other or not.  That World War II era was just such a sad time for so many thousands and thousands of Americans lost in a war, but what a good outcome and great movies as a result of it.

When I think of my Dad, who died many years ago, and think of what he and my Mom accomplished, I believe with all my heart that they are indeed the Greatest Generation.  My Mom, and my in-laws are still here, all in their early 80s, and I look at them with such respect and awe.

Yes, they were!!!!

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #842 on: December 27, 2006, 01:18:50 AM »

Need to go dry my hair, brb
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #843 on: December 27, 2006, 01:19:04 AM »

Quote from: "Anna"
Just a drive by on the way to the Monkey Bunkey and wanted to say all the New Years finery looks very festive!  Didn't take us long to get
in the party mood!

Only wish in real life all the decorations were so well put away, sigh!

Anna, what a beautiful you and how sparkly you are.  I think your dress is made of diamonds.  You are as lovely.  A Dinah Shore kind of stance.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #844 on: December 27, 2006, 01:19:07 AM »

Thank you, CBB!  Was hoping to have a few streamers or something
about New Years to be added but think I may just hold off on that, lol!
Don't want to dance eternally!

Here is a little red Betty Boop over the air grate:

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
crazybabyborg
« Reply #845 on: December 27, 2006, 01:20:52 AM »

tcu, I think that generation had the advantage of living in a time when ethics, and manners, and respect, for God and Country and Family, were pervasive in daily living. There was ugliness that we have overcome, for sure, but we tossed out things we shouldn't have as we were cleaning up.
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #846 on: December 27, 2006, 01:21:39 AM »

Quote from: "crazybabyborg"

The greatest art always comes from adversity, it seems. I think that everytime I hear an old spiritual.
The letters that survive from the Civil War are shear poetry.

Absolutely.  I think that is one thing about Low Country and Charleston.  You can almost hear and see the workers in the fields singing the spirituals as they tend the land.  I love Boone Plantation and the little brick houses where the slaves lived and I can almost hear them singing when I am visiting there and seeing the roses they tended, the herringbone pattern brick paths they made after they made and fired the bricks.

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #847 on: December 27, 2006, 01:24:01 AM »

tcu, I think that generation had the advantage of living in a time when ethics, and manners, and respect, for God and Country and Family, were pervasive in daily living. There was ugliness that we have overcome, for sure, but we tossed out things we shouldn't have as we were cleaning up.

They might have worked so hard to give us what they did not have because they were born of the Depression Era and had survived that and then went on to win World War II and their parents had fought and suffered World War I and then a Depression and their children went off to World War II and they spoiled us because they could.  We do not have the stamina or the will do win another war like that again, and it will be our downfall, I fear.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #848 on: December 27, 2006, 01:24:27 AM »

President Ford was the victim of a vicious press who would have
nothing less than his portrayal as a bungling fool when nothing could have
been farther from the truth.  And even Watergate pales by recent
standards, is very difficult to even explain what the big deal was
to those who grew up to the tune of having our technology passed
on to the Chinese, etc.

Same press that today keeps Rosie O'Donald in the forefront and
as their icon and idol.  They share her agenda.  And we wonder why
the Muslims hate us?  It has nothing to do with waging war for that
they fully understand but rather the decline of a culture as a whole
into a slime pit.

Sorry, just my opinion on the press and Ford.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #849 on: December 27, 2006, 01:25:26 AM »

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #850 on: December 27, 2006, 01:26:35 AM »

Carnut, thank you for sharing that.  It is a treasure.

tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #851 on: December 27, 2006, 01:29:16 AM »

Believe me, I see every day what you are talking about ~ teaching junior high shows me what is not being taken care of at home.  I'm generalizing, I know.....but I have seen incredible changes just since our son was in school.  Very sad, very disturbing, and there are no easy answers or solutions.  Disheartening.
tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #852 on: December 27, 2006, 01:32:40 AM »

Anna ~ completely agree with you on the press and President Ford

Carnut ~ the photo gives me goosebumps; it is wonderful.
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #853 on: December 27, 2006, 01:32:56 AM »

Believe me, I see every day what you are talking about ~ teaching junior high shows me what is not being taken care of at home.  I'm generalizing, I know.....but I have seen incredible changes just since our son was in school.  Very sad, very disturbing, and there are no easy answers or solutions.  Disheartening.

And my grandmother swore that Elvis had ruined three generations of Americans.  She would roll over in her grave if she knew what went on from the time Elvis was drafted until today.   Rolling Eyes

tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #854 on: December 27, 2006, 01:38:14 AM »

And my grandmother swore that Elvis had ruined three generations of Americans.  She would roll over in her grave if she knew what went on from the time Elvis was drafted until today.   Rolling Eyes

Laughing   Laughing  Laughing
I remember when my Dad had a big trial up in New York City ~ he was flying back to Dallas, and was sitting up front with some awful looking young men ~ didn't comment on their manners but was just disgusted by their appearance and Good Lord, their hair ~ it was the Rolling Stones coming to the US for their first show. Shocked  Laughing
He laughed about that for years afterwards.
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #855 on: December 27, 2006, 01:39:57 AM »

Laughing   Laughing  Laughing
I remember when my Dad had a big trial up in New York City ~ he was flying back to Dallas, and was sitting up front with some awful looking young men ~ didn't comment on their manners but was just disgusted by their appearance and Good Lord, their hair ~ it was the Rolling Stones coming to the US for their first show. Shocked  Laughing
He laughed about that for years afterwards.

My grandmother died at the height of the Beetles, but she would have given her right arm to give them a haircut, but it was still Elvis's fault.  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #856 on: December 27, 2006, 01:43:29 AM »

BT~ This is the photo that you could not see:

tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #857 on: December 27, 2006, 01:43:43 AM »

Tyler ~ You don't even realize it, but you're cheering me up tonight. I'm worried about my 82 year old Mom, but you've made me smile thinking of different memories somehow starting with the Miracle in the Rain movie.  Thanks.
tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #858 on: December 27, 2006, 01:45:22 AM »

Justins ~ how is your Mom, and how are YOU?
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #859 on: December 27, 2006, 01:46:16 AM »

Tyler ~ You don't even realize it, but you're cheering me up tonight. I'm worried about my 82 year old Mom, but you've made me smile thinking of different memories somehow starting with the Miracle in the Rain movie.  Thanks.

We have so enjoyed your being here.  You really add an awful lot to our discussion, no matter what.  You have a great deal to offer, so please continue to post with us.  I love your avatar.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.