March 28, 2024, 07:58:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas/Holiday recipes  (Read 34237 times)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 05:21:26 PM »

Everything looks so good, I'll wait for after the holidays to worry about calories
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 08:06:25 PM »

Bacon Cornbread

6 Slices bacon roughly chopped
2c yellow cornmeal
1 c flour
3 TBSP sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 c milk
1c cheese (cheddar or Monterey jack)

In a cast iron skillet fry bacon chunks.  fry until crisp, remove from pan.  Reserve remaining bacon grease.  In a bowl mix all dry ingredients.  In another bowl mix milk and eggs.  Pour wet into dry bowl and mix with a wooden spoon.  Add bacon into batter (this is where I also added pepper flakes and chives)  Brush the cast iron pan with bacon grease.  Pour in batter and bake for 25 min at 375.  Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese on top, put under broiler until cheese is melted.  Serve.

darla
Monkey Junky

In Honor of my son Lt. Brandon W. Rollins LCSO.

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 08:38:52 PM »

Better Than Sex Cake

4 eggs, beaten
1 cup sour cream
1 cup oil
1 box yellow cake mix
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
1 bar German's Sweet chocolate, melted
1 pkg, chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts

Frosting
1 stick margarine
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup evaporated milk
powdered sugar

mix all cake ingredients together and cook in a tube pan or bundt pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

To prepare the frosting: Melt margarine in a saucepan: add brown sugar. Cook stirring constantly, until bubbly. Carefully add milk and cook, continuing to stir until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and add enough sifted powdered sugar until a spreading consistency is reached.

Note: This frosting becomes firmer as it cools so resist the urge to add to much powdered sugar. Aim for a consistency that is slightly firmer than runny.

You will never know that Faith in prayer is all you need,
until it is all you have left!
God Bless!
darla
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 08:44:59 PM »

Better Than Sex Cake
                                            ( with pineapple)
 1 box yellow cake mix
1 medium can crushed pineapple (in own juice)
1 cup sugar
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding
1 8 oz pkg frozen coconut
1 8 oz carton Cool Whip

Bake cake as directed on the box.
Bring pineapple and sugar to a boil: pour over cooled cake. Prepare pudding mix as directed on box: spread over pineapple mixture. Next spread thawed Cool Whip over pudding. Spread coconut on top . Must be refridgerated.

God Bless!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 08:58:52 PM »

CORN CASSEROLE

1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can creamed corn
1 cup sour cream
1-1/2 sticks of butter or margarine - zap it a couple of seconds in microwave to soften
2 eggs, beaten
1 small box Jiffy brand corn muffin mix
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350
Grease a 2-1/2 to 3 quart round casserole (do not use 9 x 13 pan) with Pam spray.
Mix all ingredients and pour into prepared casserole.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until set (perhaps 70 or 75 minutes).  YUM

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 05:11:32 PM »

Better Than Sex Cake
                                            ( with pineapple)
 1 box yellow cake mix
1 medium can crushed pineapple (in own juice)
1 cup sugar
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding
1 8 oz pkg frozen coconut
1 8 oz carton Cool Whip

Bake cake as directed on the box.
Bring pineapple and sugar to a boil: pour over cooled cake. Prepare pudding mix as directed on box: spread over pineapple mixture. Next spread thawed Cool Whip over pudding. Spread coconut on top . Must be refridgerated.

thanks darla this is the cake...its so easy to make I did remember that and   and delicious!!  I am going to try the other also,

mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 05:17:28 PM »

Bacon Cornbread

2c yellow cornmeal
1 c flour
3 TBSP sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 c milk

In a cast iron skillet fry bacon chunks.  fry until crisp, remove from pan.  Reserve remaining bacon grease.  In a bowl mix all dry ingredients.  In another bowl mix milk and eggs.  Pour wet into dry bowl and mix with a wooden spoon.  Add bacon into batter (this is where I also added pepper flakes and chives)  Brush the cast iron pan with bacon grease.  Pour in batter and bake for 25 min at 375.  Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese on top, put under broiler until cheese is melted.  Serve.

NR...I make a cornbread like this but instead of crumbling bacon in the mix, I fill the bottom of the cast iron skillet with uncooked bacon and pour the mix over the bacon, the bacon cooks into the mix nice and crispy...I am going to try your recipe with some collards and  blackeye peas for New Years !

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 07:08:10 PM »

Hey guys..... I just want to put a disclaimer here for the recipes that I posted in the recipe thread. I am from the deep south, and we don't know what a calorie is, so I am not responsible for any weight gained from my recipes.
Monkey Devil! I am not going to worry about it until after the Holiday's at which time then I will put my rear in gear and shake any of the holiday gain. I am going to make the Chicken Divan this weekend and make Sunny's Wassail for Christmas I have been looking for a good recipe like that for a few years and I think I finally found it - it has all the right ingredients to give it a wonderful flavor and smell too.

Sunny - I hope you enjoy the Spinach Balls - it makes alot so you may have enough you can freeze over until Christmas.

Mission the wassail is really good and you have never seen our group eat!  LOL   Bet there is nothing left!

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 07:09:32 PM »

Bacon Cornbread

2c yellow cornmeal
1 c flour
3 TBSP sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 c milk

NR, my mouth is watering just reading this.....everything is better with bacon!  Thanks!!

Rest in Peace Caylee

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 07:11:43 PM »

CORN CASSEROLE

1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can creamed corn
1 cup sour cream
1-1/2 sticks of butter or margarine - zap it a couple of seconds in microwave to soften
2 eggs, beaten
1 small box Jiffy brand corn muffin mix
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350
Grease a 2-1/2 to 3 quart round casserole (do not use 9 x 13 pan) with Pam spray.
Mix all ingredients and pour into prepared casserole.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until set (perhaps 70 or 75 minutes).  YUM

mere!  I make this every Thanksgiving a double batch!  We love it!  Thanks for adding it!!  PS: I add a shake of pepper flakes in mine and cut the butter to 1/2

Rest in Peace Caylee

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »

Bacon Cornbread

2c yellow cornmeal
1 c flour
3 TBSP sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 c milk

NR...I make a cornbread like this but instead of crumbling bacon in the mix, I fill the bottom of the cast iron skillet with uncooked bacon and pour the mix over the bacon, the bacon cooks into the mix nice and crispy...I am going to try your recipe with some collards and  blackeye peas for New Years !

My!  Great idea!!  Collards and black eyed peas here we come!!

Rest in Peace Caylee

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 07:18:22 PM »

Please post some more hors douvers

one of our all time favorites is Rumaki

Rumaki

12 slices bacon, halved crosswise
12 ounces chicken livers, halved
12 whole water chestnuts, halved

Marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon sugar

Marinade: Combine soy sauce, ginger, sherry and sugar in a small bowl. Add the chicken livers and water chestnut pieces and marinate them in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.

Place 1 chicken liver piece and 1 chestnut piece in the center of each bacon-half, wrap, and secure with a toothpick. (soak toothpicks in water while marinating the livers)

Place the Rumaki on a broiler pan or shallow baking pan and broil, about 5 or 6 inches from the heat, until the bacon is crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Or, you can bake the appetizers in a 375° oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

Makes 24 appetizers.

Rest in Peace Caylee

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 07:21:04 PM »

Figs with goat cheese. pecans and bacon
Ingredients

* 6 figs, halved
    * 6 ounces goat cheese
    * 1/2 cup toasted, chopped pecans (I have also used 1/2 a pecan)
    * 3 slices bacon, cut in half (I precook the bacon a little)

Directions

1. Preheat the broiler.
   2. Stuff fig halves with goat cheese. Press pecans into the cheese. Wrap each stuffed fig half with half a slice of bacon, securing with toothpicks.
   3. Arrange on a medium baking sheet. Broil 5 minutes, or until bacon is evenly brown and crisp and goat cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

Rest in Peace Caylee

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 07:24:10 PM »

And an old stand by for parties

Ingredients
3   cups Corn Chex® cereal
3   cups Rice Chex® cereal
3   cups Wheat Chex® cereal
1   cup mixed nuts
1   cup bite-size pretzels
1   cup garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips or regular-size bagel chips, broken into 1-inch pieces
6   tablespoons butter or margarine
2   tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2   teaspoons seasoned salt
3/4   teaspoon garlic powder
1/2   teaspoon onion powder

Microwave version:
1.   In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.
2.   Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.

Oven Directions Heat oven to 250°F. In large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.

Rest in Peace Caylee

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 11:31:44 PM »

I posted this recipe recently in unusual recipes and got to thinking this would be a good one for Christmas - this was served at a Christmas party I went to and it is really good.  I'm not sure what to call it - maybe a dip or a spread I even used the left overs on hamburgers one night.

Dip/Spread??

2 8oz bags of shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 dry package Good Seasons Italian Dressing - prepared
Diced tomatoes
Sliced green onion
Diced green peppers
1 small can chopped or sliced black olives
Handful of fresh Cilantro chopped

Mix all together and serve with scoop tortilla chips, crackers or like I did with the left overs put it on hamburgers. Enjoy

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 07:41:32 AM »

For the 'On the Go' types:

Easy No-Cook Peanut Butter Squares

Bottom part:
  2 cups Peanut Butter
  1 pound confectionery sugar (powdered sugar)
  2 sticks melted oleo or butter
Mix all together well and spread in 9x13" pan

Top part:
   1 stick oleo or butter
   1  12oz. bag of choc. chips (milk choc. or semi-sweet)
Melt together in a saucepan, stirring well until smooth. Spread over the peanut butter mixture.
Refrigerate to set. Pull out of fridge and let set at room temp. for a while then cut into small squares. Should be stored in fridge.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 07:44:20 AM »

Cranberry Cake
The *Butter Sauce is what makes this so yummy!

Cake:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups whole raw cranberries

Mix dry ingredients together then add milk, butter and berries. Mix well and pour into 9x11 pan (I spray pan with 'pam' first). Bake at 375 for about an hour. Check it after 45 minutes. Serve warm w/ butter sauce.

*Butter sauce:
1/2 cup butter or margarine (I use a little more)
1 cup sugar
1 can Evaporated Milk
Melt butter in a sauce pan, stir in sugar then add evaporated milk. Bring to boiling point, reduce heat and cook 10 minutes.

You can use a square pan, but you may need to cook it longer and it won't make as many pieces.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 07:53:48 AM »

Tortiere' Pie (Meat Pie)
This is a French Canadian dish that has been in my X-hubby's family for many, many years. (They only made it on Christmas Eve). It is very simple and tasty as well. Too good to just have once a year! I make it several times throughout the winter.

1 - two crust pie shell (I use Pillsbury)

3 rolls Ground Pork or Sausage * I use 2 rolls of Jimmy Dean (regular/not hot) and 1 roll of a cheaper brand

good amount of chopped onions (I don't measure, usually use 1 med. size)

Apx. 6-8 cups mashed potatoes (you can cheat and use instant potatoes, no one will ever know!)

Sage and/or Poultry Seasonings (use to taste...I use apx. 1 teas. Poultry seasons and 1 teas. spoon of sage)... It really depends on how spicy the pork is to start with. I have found that Jimmy Dean ground sausage is much more spicy than the cheaper rolls.

Brown meat, onions and spices. Drain fat. Add meat mixture to mashed potatoes. Mix well. Spoon mixture into pie shell. Put pie crust on top and seal edges well. Cut a few slits in top crust and brush top w/ Egg Wash (1 tablespoon of water mixed with 1 beaten egg). Bake at 400 degrees for apx. 20-25 minutes then cover pie crust EDGES w/ foil so it does not burn. Return to oven and cook apx. 20 minutes more. NOTE: Times will vary w/ each oven. Keep an eye on them. Remove from oven and let stand for several minutes before cutting. ENJOY!!

* For healthy conscious peeps....you can use 1/2 sausage and 1/2 lean ground beef or turkey....or all ground beef or turkey, for that matter. I like grease Smile ... I always use sausage.

darla
Monkey Junky

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 10:54:10 AM »

I have gained 10 lbs just reading. lol

I have a comfort food cake that is really good on a cold day.
                               Luscious Lemon Cake

1 box of cake mix.
2 small boxes of lemon pudding (Instant)
2 cups cold milk.
1 1/4 cups cold water.
1/3 cup sugar.

Mix cake according to package directions. Pour into a 9x 13 in pan. Mix together lemon pudding, water, cold milk, and sugar. Stir until well blended. Pour over unbaked cake. Place pan on a cookie sheet to catch any pudding that may bubble over. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Dust top of cake with powdered sugar. Serve warm. As the cake cooks it will rise to the top and pudding will be on bottom. Keep refridgerated. Yummy.

God Bless!
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 11:13:54 AM »

What wonderful recipes  The cake and dips and everything. Chex mix is always something we make.   Nut, the memories of the meat pies, oh what great memories, my grandma always made meat pies, they are wonderful 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.