April 18, 2024, 03:04:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas/Holiday recipes  (Read 34333 times)
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »

Tortiere' Pie (Meat Pie)
This is a French Canadian dish that has been in my X-hubby's family for many, many years. (They only made it on Christmas Eve). It is very simple and tasty as well. Too good to just have once a year! I make it several times throughout the winter.

1 - two crust pie shell (I use Pillsbury)

3 rolls Ground Pork or Sausage * I use 2 rolls of Jimmy Dean (regular/not hot) and 1 roll of a cheaper brand

good amount of chopped onions (I don't measure, usually use 1 med. size)

Apx. 6-8 cups mashed potatoes (you can cheat and use instant potatoes, no one will ever know!)

Sage and/or Poultry Seasonings (use to taste...I use apx. 1 teas. Poultry seasons and 1 teas. spoon of sage)... It really depends on how spicy the pork is to start with. I have found that Jimmy Dean ground sausage is much more spicy than the cheaper rolls.

Brown meat, onions and spices. Drain fat. Add meat mixture to mashed potatoes. Mix well. Spoon mixture into pie shell. Put pie crust on top and seal edges well. Cut a few slits in top crust and brush top w/ Egg Wash (1 tablespoon of water mixed with 1 beaten egg). Bake at 400 degrees for apx. 20-25 minutes then cover pie crust EDGES w/ foil so it does not burn. Return to oven and cook apx. 20 minutes more. NOTE: Times will vary w/ each oven. Keep an eye on them. Remove from oven and let stand for several minutes before cutting. ENJOY!!

* For healthy conscious peeps....you can use 1/2 sausage and 1/2 lean ground beef or turkey....or all ground beef or turkey, for that matter. I like grease Smile ... I always use sausage.
Oh wow does this ever sound good - I think I be trying this one New Years weekend. 

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 09:53:07 PM »

Better Than Sex Cake
                                            ( with pineapple)
 1 box yellow cake mix
1 medium can crushed pineapple (in own juice)
1 cup sugar
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding
1 8 oz pkg frozen coconut
1 8 oz carton Cool Whip

Bake cake as directed on the box.
Bring pineapple and sugar to a boil: pour over cooled cake. Prepare pudding mix as directed on box: spread over pineapple mixture. Next spread thawed Cool Whip over pudding. Spread coconut on top . Must be refridgerated.
i have to try this cake, and....

Monkey Devil!
Better Than Sex Cake
                                            ( with pineapple)

gigglegiggle...is it better than sex or just sex with pineapple?  (i couldn't help it! )

OMG  thats soooo Anthony.  (credits to miss Mae)
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 11:53:37 PM »

I must say I've never considered having sex with a pineapple. Althought I was going to buy one for a fruit tray. Thanks for planting that thought in my mind. 
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »

Hey Everyone, here's some of the recipes that I make every Christmas; they're all fantastic!!

Orange Slice Cake

2 C sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 lb. orange slices(chopped)
2 C chopped pecans
1/2 C buttermilk or sour cream
1 C margarine
1 lb chopped dates
2 C coconut

Cream margarine and sugar, add eggs, one at a time - beating after each egg. Add soda with sifted flour - add alternately with buttermilk. Beat 2 mins. Add dates, coconut, pecans & orange slices. Mix well(will be very thick!) Spoon into, greased & floured, bundt or tube pan.
Bake at 300 for 1 1/2 hours. Cool slightly then turn out onto serving dish.
This is an amazing cake!!!!!!

Haystacks(Chinese noodle candy)

1 6 oz. pkg butterscotch morsels
1/2 C peanut butter
2 C miniature marshmallows
1 can Chinese noodles

Melt butterscotch morsels & peanut butter in a large bowl in microwave until smooth. Add marshmallows & chinese noodles. Mix well making sure eveything is coated well. Drop by spoonful onto waxed paper or greased cookie sheets. Place in fridge to set.
This one is everyone's favorite!! And so easy!! YUMMMMM!!!!!!

Martha Washington Balls

2 lbs. (boxes) powdered sugar
1 stick margarine
1 can CONDENSED(like EagleBrand) milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C chopped pecans
1 box (8 ozs.) Baker's semi-sweet choc. squares
1 stick(1/4 lb.) paraffin wax  (I use Gulf Wax, found by the choc. chips)

In a large bowl, combine sugar, room temp. margarine, condensed milk & vanilla. Mix well, add pecans & mix well again(you will have to use your hands!!)
Roll mixture into quarter size balls(if too sticky place in fridge for awhile)& place onto greased cookie sheets. Freeze or refrigerate. (Choc. mixture coats quickly when balls are cold!)In the meantime, melt choc. squares & paraffin together in a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water(or a double boiler) Coat each ball with choc & replace on cookie sheet. They are ready immediately! This makes alot(about 5 lbs.) of candy & it's a great gift! This one is my favorite; my Mom has made this every year since I was born & now I make it! NOTE: Please do not substitute choc. chips for the choc. squares or omit the paraffin(IT WILL NOT TASTE THE SAME) I've tried it made that way & it is just not the same!!

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »

This recipe is wonderful with ham (I usually have Honey-Baked Ham for Christmas dinner).  The recipe only gets better day-after-day. 

Marinated Beans and Peas

1 – Can LeSeur French-style green beans
1 – Can LeSeur peas

Drain; cover with 1 Tablespoon salt.
Refrigerate overnight.  Drain.

1 – Cup chopped celery
2 – Ounces chopped pimento
1 – Medium onion, finely chopped
1 – Medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 – Cup white vinegar
¼ - Cup Canola oil
1-1/4 – Cup sugar

Mix together sugar, oil and vinegar. 
Stir until sugar dissolves.
Add in chopped ingredients. 
Add in beans and peas.
Refrigerate overnight.

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2009, 01:40:11 PM »

I posted this recipe recently in unusual recipes and got to thinking this would be a good one for Christmas - this was served at a Christmas party I went to and it is really good.  I'm not sure what to call it - maybe a dip or a spread I even used the left overs on hamburgers one night.

Dip/Spread??

2 8oz bags of shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 dry package Good Seasons Italian Dressing - prepared
Diced tomatoes
Sliced green onion
Diced green peppers
1 small can chopped or sliced black olives
Handful of fresh Cilantro chopped

Mix all together and serve with scoop tortilla chips, crackers or like I did with the left overs put it on hamburgers. Enjoy

thanks Mission...anything with cilantro and can be scooped on tortilla chips are tops in my book!! (I am going to add chopped jalepenos to this)

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2009, 01:41:01 PM »

For the 'On the Go' types:

Easy No-Cook Peanut Butter Squares

Bottom part:
  2 cups Peanut Butter
  1 pound confectionery sugar (powdered sugar)
  2 sticks melted oleo or butter
Mix all together well and spread in 9x13" pan

Top part:
   1 stick oleo or butter
   1  12oz. bag of choc. chips (milk choc. or semi-sweet)
Melt together in a saucepan, stirring well until smooth. Spread over the peanut butter mixture.
Refrigerate to set. Pull out of fridge and let set at room temp. for a while then cut into small squares. Should be stored in fridge.

thanks Nut...I will make these for my DH...he loves peanut butter anything!!

Rest in Peace Caylee

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2009, 01:43:37 PM »

Tortiere' Pie (Meat Pie)
This is a French Canadian dish that has been in my X-hubby's family for many, many years. (They only made it on Christmas Eve). It is very simple and tasty as well. Too good to just have once a year! I make it several times throughout the winter.

1 - two crust pie shell (I use Pillsbury)

3 rolls Ground Pork or Sausage * I use 2 rolls of Jimmy Dean (regular/not hot) and 1 roll of a cheaper brand

good amount of chopped onions (I don't measure, usually use 1 med. size)

Apx. 6-8 cups mashed potatoes (you can cheat and use instant potatoes, no one will ever know!)

Sage and/or Poultry Seasonings (use to taste...I use apx. 1 teas. Poultry seasons and 1 teas. spoon of sage)... It really depends on how spicy the pork is to start with. I have found that Jimmy Dean ground sausage is much more spicy than the cheaper rolls.

Brown meat, onions and spices. Drain fat. Add meat mixture to mashed potatoes. Mix well. Spoon mixture into pie shell. Put pie crust on top and seal edges well. Cut a few slits in top crust and brush top w/ Egg Wash (1 tablespoon of water mixed with 1 beaten egg). Bake at 400 degrees for apx. 20-25 minutes then cover pie crust EDGES w/ foil so it does not burn. Return to oven and cook apx. 20 minutes more. NOTE: Times will vary w/ each oven. Keep an eye on them. Remove from oven and let stand for several minutes before cutting. ENJOY!!

* For healthy conscious peeps....you can use 1/2 sausage and 1/2 lean ground beef or turkey....or all ground beef or turkey, for that matter. I like grease Smile ... I always use sausage.

Yummy!!  Printing as we speak!!

Rest in Peace Caylee

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »

Hey Everyone, here's some of the recipes that I make every Christmas; they're all fantastic!!

Orange Slice Cake

2 C sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 lb. orange slices(chopped)
2 C chopped pecans
1/2 C buttermilk or sour cream
1 C margarine
1 lb chopped dates
2 C coconut

Cream margarine and sugar, add eggs, one at a time - beating after each egg. Add soda with sifted flour - add alternately with buttermilk. Beat 2 mins. Add dates, coconut, pecans & orange slices. Mix well(will be very thick!) Spoon into, greased & floured, bundt or tube pan.
Bake at 300 for 1 1/2 hours. Cool slightly then turn out onto serving dish.
This is an amazing cake!!!!!!

Haystacks(Chinese noodle candy)

1 6 oz. pkg butterscotch morsels
1/2 C peanut butter
2 C miniature marshmallows
1 can Chinese noodles

Melt butterscotch morsels & peanut butter in a large bowl in microwave until smooth. Add marshmallows & chinese noodles. Mix well making sure eveything is coated well. Drop by spoonful onto waxed paper or greased cookie sheets. Place in fridge to set.
This one is everyone's favorite!! And so easy!! YUMMMMM!!!!!!

Martha Washington Balls

2 lbs. (boxes) powdered sugar
1 stick margarine
1 can CONDENSED(like EagleBrand) milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C chopped pecans
1 box (8 ozs.) Baker's semi-sweet choc. squares
1 stick(1/4 lb.) paraffin wax  (I use Gulf Wax, found by the choc. chips)

In a large bowl, combine sugar, room temp. margarine, condensed milk & vanilla. Mix well, add pecans & mix well again(you will have to use your hands!!)
Roll mixture into quarter size balls(if too sticky place in fridge for awhile)& place onto greased cookie sheets. Freeze or refrigerate. (Choc. mixture coats quickly when balls are cold!)In the meantime, melt choc. squares & paraffin together in a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water(or a double boiler) Coat each ball with choc & replace on cookie sheet. They are ready immediately! This makes alot(about 5 lbs.) of candy & it's a great gift! This one is my favorite; my Mom has made this every year since I was born & now I make it! NOTE: Please do not substitute choc. chips for the choc. squares or omit the paraffin(IT WILL NOT TASTE THE SAME) I've tried it made that way & it is just not the same!!

thanks Monken.....'splain the paraffin was please????  Why add WAX to chocolate????? (

Rest in Peace Caylee

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2009, 01:48:23 PM »

This recipe is wonderful with ham (I usually have Honey-Baked Ham for Christmas dinner).  The recipe only gets better day-after-day. 

Marinated Beans and Peas

1 – Can LeSeur peas

1 – Cup chopped celery
1 – Cup white vinegar
¼ - Cup Canola oil
1-1/4 – Cup sugar

Add in beans and peas.
Refrigerate overnight.

I am going to try this one for certain.......is this really sweet?

Rest in Peace Caylee

crazybabyborg
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2009, 01:53:51 PM »

Hey Miss Sunny!    You always add wax to dipping chocolate. It makes it the right consistancy to cover and dries shinier and harder, so it stays put as a covering.   
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2009, 08:15:18 PM »

Hey Miss Sunny!    You always add wax to dipping chocolate. It makes it the right consistancy to cover and dries shinier and harder, so it stays put as a covering.   

uummmmm I never did that and I make chocolate dipped strawberries....but they never stay around long. I don't think I want eat wax...now who in the hell ever said oh yes, let's add some wax to this chocolate??

Rest in Peace Caylee

Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2009, 03:30:04 AM »

Marinated Beans and Peas

1 – Can LeSeur peas

1 – Cup chopped celery
1 – Cup white vinegar
¼ - Cup Canola oil
1-1/4 – Cup sugar

Add in beans and peas.
Refrigerate overnight.

It's not sugary sweet...but marinated sweet (if that makes sense).   I usually have Honey-Baked Ham for Christmas and these marinated beans and peas are equally good served with dinner or with ham sandwiches. 

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2009, 04:12:57 AM »

Marinated Beans and Peas

1 – Can LeSeur peas

1 – Cup chopped celery
1 – Cup white vinegar
¼ - Cup Canola oil
1-1/4 – Cup sugar

Add in beans and peas.
Refrigerate overnight.

It's not sugary sweet...but marinated sweet (if that makes sense).   I usually have Honey-Baked Ham for Christmas and these marinated beans and peas are equally good served with dinner or with ham sandwiches. 

I serve this dish using a slotted serving spoon; the excess marinade juice drains off the veggies before putting them on your plate.

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2009, 09:36:47 AM »

I posted this recipe recently in unusual recipes and got to thinking this would be a good one for Christmas - this was served at a Christmas party I went to and it is really good.  I'm not sure what to call it - maybe a dip or a spread I even used the left overs on hamburgers one night.

Dip/Spread??

2 8oz bags of shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 dry package Good Seasons Italian Dressing - prepared
Diced tomatoes
Sliced green onion
Diced green peppers
1 small can chopped or sliced black olives
Handful of fresh Cilantro chopped

Mix all together and serve with scoop tortilla chips, crackers or like I did with the left overs put it on hamburgers. Enjoy

thanks Mission...anything with cilantro and can be scooped on tortilla chips are tops in my book!! (I am going to add chopped jalepenos to this)
That is a great idea Sunny.  I put the Wassail together this morning and it is in the crock now, I haven't even added the fruit yet and the smell is fabulous - I can't wait for my house to fill with the aroma and by the way it tastes delisssh.  I think I have to make the marinated beans and peas from Puzzler for New Years Eve - I don't want the holidays to end with all these wonderful recipes. 

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2009, 01:12:33 PM »

Cocktail wieners!

1 10oz jar of apple jelly
1 6oz jar of  yellow mustard
1 package of lil smokies sausage or 1 pack of regular wieners

Melt jelly and mustard in a crock pot or in a dutch oven pot. Add wieners and let simmer. I have to triple this recipe when I have all the kids and family over.

Edit to add "yellow".  MB

Darla, I have to admit I was a bit dubious about the combination of the apply jelly and the mustard...but WOW!  My family loved it!!

Rest in Peace Caylee

darla
Monkey Junky

In Honor of my son Lt. Brandon W. Rollins LCSO.

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2010, 05:30:28 PM »

Cocktail wieners!

1 10oz jar of apple jelly
1 6oz jar of  yellow mustard
1 package of lil smokies sausage or 1 pack of regular wieners

Melt jelly and mustard in a crock pot or in a dutch oven pot. Add wieners and let simmer. I have to triple this recipe when I have all the kids and family over.

Edit to add "yellow".  MB

Darla, I have to admit I was a bit dubious about the combination of the apply jelly and the mustard...but WOW!  My family loved it!!

So glad you enjoyed it and your family too.
Another good combination for meatballs is to mix a jar of Hienz Chili sauce and grape jelly and simmer the meatballs in it. Yummy.

You will never know that Faith in prayer is all you need,
until it is all you have left!
God Bless!
Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.