April 16, 2024, 10:47:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50 sewing needles found inside toddler's body - Brazil  (Read 8742 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: December 16, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »

WTF!??

Brazil toddler has 50 sewing needles inside body

BRASILIA, Brazil — A 2-year-old Brazilian boy has as many as 50 metal sewing needles inside his body and a doctor treating the boy said Wednesday they were apparently stuck there one by one.

Dr. Luiz Cesar Soltoski told The Associated Press that surgeons hope to remove most of the needles — some as long as 2 inches (5 centimeters)_ but because some are stuck in his lungs, they have to wait until the child's breathing improves.

Some cannot be removed; they are too close to vital organs or actually inside them, Soltoski said.

The boy's mother, a maid, brought him to a hospital in the small northeastern city of Ibotirama on Thursday, saying he was complaining of pain. Three days later, after X-rays revealed some of the needles, doctors had him shifted to a larger hospital in Barreiras.

The mother told police she doesn't know how the needles got inside her son, but police have opened an investigation. The boy's name was withheld because of his age.

The boy's father, Gessivaldo Alves, told Brazil's A Tarde newspaper that he believes his son could have been a victim of a black magic ritual. Alves said he visited the home where the boy was living with his mother and stepfather and found unspecified items that could be used for black magic, A Tarde reported.

Police statements so far have not mentioned a possible cause for the needles and the police inspector in charge of the case, Helder Fernandes Santana, did not immediately return telephone messages left Wednesday seeking comment.

Soltoski said he believes the needles were stuck into the child's body one by one because it would have been impossible for him to swallow them.

"We think it could have only been by penetration because we found needles in the lung, the left leg and in different parts of the thorax. It couldn't have been by ingestion," Soltoski said.

Doctors found no signs of outside wounds on the boy, but X-ray images carried by Brazilian Web sites clearly showed some of the needles inside his body.

The boy is in intensive care, but Soltoski said his condition has improved since he was admitted.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gKezrQJql-SEE5gJK95nosWmg8ogD9CKI3JG0

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »

Surgeons to operate on Brazilian boy with 50 needles inside him

A boy of two is in intensive care in Brazil after up to 50 sewing needles were pushed inside his body, apparently one by one.   

Surgeons hope to remove most of the metal pins, some as long as 2 in.  (5cm) but because some are stuck in the child's lungs they must wait until his breathing improves.

A few needles cannot be removed because they are too close to vital organs or actually inside them, said Dr Luiz Soltoski, at West Hospital in Barreiras, in the north-western state of Bahia.

Dr Soltoski said he believed the needles were stuck into the toddler's body one by one because it would have been impossible for him to swallow them.

"We think it could have only been by penetration because we found needles in the lung, the left leg and in different parts of the thorax. It couldn't have been by ingestion," said Dr Soltoski.

Doctors found no signs of external wounds, but X-rays clearly showed some of the needles inside his body.

The boy's mother, a maid, brought him to a hospital in the small northeastern city of Ibotirama last week, saying he was vomiting and complaining that he was in pain.

When X-rays revealed some of the needles, the child, who has not been identified because of his age, was transferred to the larger hospital in Barreiras.

The mother claimed she did not know how the needles got inside her son, but police have launched an investigation.

Dr Soltoski said the boy's condition had improved since he was admitted to an intensive care unit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/surgeons-to-operate-on-brazilian-boy-with-50-needles-inside-him-1843097.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 07:46:33 PM »

How absolutely horrible!!  Needles put into this child over and over again   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »

A two-year-old Brazilian boy was found with up to 50 metal sewing needles inside his body in what police think may have been a black magic ritual.

http://news.msn.co.nz/article/984859/brazilian-boy-found-with-needles-inside-his-body

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 08:31:48 PM »

A two-year-old Brazilian boy was found with up to 50 metal sewing needles inside his body in what police think may have been a black magic ritual.

http://news.msn.co.nz/article/984859/brazilian-boy-found-with-needles-inside-his-body

I've got a ritual for those that put sewing needles into that little baby boy's body....   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:15:55 PM »

Doctors airlift boy with 42 needles stuck in him
By BRADLEY BROOKS, AP
4 hours ago

RIO DE JANEIRO — A 2-year-old boy with more than 40 sewing needles stuck in him is being airlifted to another hospital in northeastern Brazil because two of the needles are close to his heart, an official said Thursday.

A police official, meanwhile, told The Associated Press the boy's stepfather had been arrested, that he had confessed to sticking the needles into the boy with the help of a woman and that authorities were investigating whether black magic was involved.

Surgeons at a hospital in the town of Barreiras in Bahia state decided not to try to remove any needles after discovering that two were very near the boy's heart, said an official at Hospital do Oeste. Like the police official, she spoke on condition of anonymity as she was not authorized to discuss the case.

She said that doctors had located 42 needles in the boy — eight fewer than they had reported finding Wednesday. The boy was in intensive care but was in stable condition before being airlifted 240 miles (390 kilometers) to a hospital in the coastal city of Salvador with a special heart unit.

Dr. Luiz Cesar Soltoski at the Hospital Oeste, who was treating the boy, said Wednesday that surgeons had hoped to remove most of the needles — some as long as 2 inches (5 centimeters).

The boy's mother, a maid, took him to a hospital in the small northeastern city of Ibotirama last Thursday, saying he was complaining of pain. Three days later, after X-rays revealed many of the needles, doctors moved him to a larger hospital in the nearby city of Barreiras.

The mother told police she didn't know how the needles got inside her son, whose name was not released because of his age.

The boy's father, Gessivaldo Alves, earlier told the newspaper A Tarde that he believed his son could have been a victim of a black magic ritual. Alves reportedly said he visited the home where the boy was living and found unspecified items that could be used for black magic.

The doctor said he believed the needles were stuck into the child's body one by one.

"We think it could have only been by penetration because we found needles in the lung, the left leg and in different parts of the thorax. It couldn't have been by ingestion," Soltoski said.

Doctors found no signs of outside wounds on the boy. X-ray images carried by Brazilian Web sites clearly showed some of the needles deep inside his body.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »

Stepfather confesses to sticking 42 needles into boy's

The stepfather of a two-year-old boy found with 42 needles in his body has confessed to jabbing them into him as part of a religious ritual, Brazilian police said today.

Roberto Carlos Magalhaes claimed that a woman who went into a trance commanded him to stick the needles into the boy's body, a police inspector, Helder Fernandes Santana, said. He said three people, including the stepfather and the woman, had been arrested.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/17/brazil-boy-needles-body

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:01:51 AM »

Brazilian man says lover commanded him to push 'blessed' needles into two-year-old to keep couple together

The stepfather of a two-year-old boy claimed he pushed 42 "blessed" sewing needles deep into the toddler because his lover told him it would keep the couple together, according to police.

Roberto Carlos Magalhaes, a 30-year-old bricklayer, told detectives the woman would enter a trance and "command him to stick the needles in the boy's body", said police inspector Helder Fernandes Santana.

The lover, Angelina Ribeiro dos Santos, paid to have the needles – measuring up to 5cm – blessed by a woman who practised the African-Brazilian religion Candomble, Santana said.

Police believe Dos Santos was seeking revenge on the boy's mother, but did not say why.

"According to his confession, he acted under influence of the woman, but it was he who stuck the needles in the boy's body," the inspector said.

One of the needles penetrated the boy's heart, meaning he may need an emergency operation if any bleeding starts, Brazil's Globo TV reported today, quoting unnamed hospital sources. The boy had a fever brought on by a heart infection but was conscious and in a stable condition in intensive care, the network said.

Officials at the hospital, in the coastal city of Salvador, have said previously that two needles were close to his heart, one was embedded in a lung and others were dangerously close to vital organs.

Dos Santos is not believed to be a member of any religious or occult group, and authorities believe she came up with the idea of the rituals on her own, Santana said.

The two were taken to an undisclosed facility for their own protection after a mob threw stones at the police station where they were being held in the north-eastern city of Ibotirama. Neither has yet been charged.

Authorities also detained the woman who blessed the needles. Santana said she was likely to be released without charge because she had not known how they were being used.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/18/needles-boy-stepfather-lover

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »

Needles successfully extracted from Brazil boy

The Associated Press

Friday, December 18, 2009

SAO PAULO — Surgeons on Friday successfully removed four sewing needles from the lung and near the heart of a Brazilian toddler, allegedly plunged into him by his stepfather during a monthlong series of bizarre rituals.

The surgery lasted nearly five hours and the 2-year-old boy was in stable condition after the procedure, said Susy Moreno, a spokeswoman for the hospital in the northeastern city of Salvador where the boy was in intensive care.

"He's OK, the surgery was a success, he's doing fine," she said in a telephone interview.

Dozens more needles measuring up to 2 inches (5 centimeters) in length remain inside the boy's body, but the four removed were considered the most life-threatening.

Doctors will evaluate the boy's recovery before deciding when to perform at least two more surgeries to remove more needles, she said.

Police say the boy's stepfather, 30-year-old bricklayer Roberto Carlos Magalhaes, confessed to pushing supposedly "blessed" sewing needles deep into the child because his lover told him to while in trances.

The rituals were performed over a period of a month to try to keep the couple together, the stepfather told police. Authorities suspect the woman was trying to take revenge on the wife of her lover by having the man hurt her son.

Magalhaes told detectives the woman would enter into trances and give him commands to insert the needles, police inspector Helder Fernandes Santana said. The stepfather told police the rituals happened every few days for a full month, with him inserting several needles during each session.

The lover, Angelina Ribeiro dos Santos, paid to have the needles blessed by a woman who practiced the Afro-Brazilian religion Candomble, and convinced Magalhaes that inserting them into the boy would somehow allow them to be together, Santana said.

Authorities initially estimated the boy had as many as 50 needles were inside the boy. After batteries of tests were performed, doctors now believe there are closer to 30 needles inside, but they don't know for sure.

"They haven't focused on how many there are because they are concentrating on the most dangerous ones," Moreno said.

The boy was also suffering from an infection from one needle, but received antibiotics and was in stable condition and breathing on his own before going into surgery, she said.

Magalhaes and dos Santos were both arrested, though no charges were filed.

Dos Santos is not believed to be a member of any religious or occult group, and authorities believe she came up with the idea of the rituals on her own, Santana said.

The two were taken to an undisclosed lockup for their own protection after a mob threw stones at the police station where they were being held. It was not immediately clear whether they had legal representation.

Authorities also detained the woman who blessed the needles so she could be questioned, but Santana has said he expects she will be released without charge because she did not know how they were being used.

The boy's mother, a maid, took him to her hometown hospital in Ibotirama on Dec. 10, saying he was complaining of pain.

After X-rays revealed the cause, the mother told police she didn't know how the needles got inside her son, whose name was not released because of his age. The boy was later transferred to the much larger hospital in the coastal city of Salvador.

Police and doctors concluded it would have been impossible for the boy to have ingested the needles, which have been found throughout his abdomen, in one leg and in his spine.

Afro-Brazilian religions practiced in Brazil have no ceremonies, rituals or practices involving harm to people, said Nelson Inocencio, director of African-Brazilian studies at the University of Brasilia.

He worried that the incident could hurt the image of the religions, of which Candomble is the most popular, and concentrated most in Bahia state where Ibotirama is located.

http://www.dailyadvance.com/news/world/needles-successfully-extracted-from-brazil-boy-1026166.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 09:02:15 PM »

Brazilian Boy Jabbed with Dozens of Needles Needs Other Operation

BRASILIA – Doctors treating a Brazilian boy whose body was jabbed with dozens of sewing needles said Saturday that he will have to be operated again next week, after they were able to take out four of them on Friday.

The needles removed had been stuck near the heart and lungs and, when removing them, the doctors found that they were rusty, which could have caused the infection complicating the boy’s state of health, said the spokeswoman for the Ana Nery Hospital in the town of Salvador, Isabel Guimaraes.

The boy, who police suspect was the victim of a black magic rite, was operated on this Friday and is recovering “satisfactorily,” through he remains in the intensive care unit as a precaution, doctors said.

According to Guimaraes, “if the situation stays like it is, additional surgery will be performed next week to remove some needles in the abdomen and others stuck into the bladder and the digestive tract.”

Guimaraes said that the doctors still have not been able to determine exactly how many needles pierced the boy.

At first the number 50 was mentioned, then 42 and now it is believed there were 31, so that he would still have at least 27 needles in his body.

At the moment, police have detained as suspects the boy’s stepfather and two women, one of them dedicated to the practice of black magic rituals.

The authorities say that the stepfather has confessed to asking for “help” from these women to take revenge on his wife, for reasons as yet unknown.
http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=349204&CategoryId=14090

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 09:19:11 PM »

BRASILIA, Brazil -- Doctors on Wednesday removed 14 more needles from the body of a 2-year-old Brazilian boy who was stuck in what his stepfather has said was a murder plot to spite his wife.

Police on Wednesday formally filed attempted murder charges against the 30-year-old stepfather, Roberto Carlos Magalhaes, and his lover, Angelina Ribeiro dos Santos, 47.

Doctors successfully operated on the toddler in the northeastern city of Salvador to remove needles from his intestines, liver and bladder. They took out four rusty needles from near his heart and from his lungs last week.

Susy Moreno, a spokeswoman for Ana Nery Hospital, said the boy was recovering well from the three-hour surgery in an intensive care unit.

Magalhaes recently said in an interview with Globo TV that he tried to kill the child as revenge against his wife, with whom he fought a lot.

Magalhaes said he drugged the boy with wine and had dos Santos hold the child down while he pushed needles into the body. He said the boy was too drunk to cry while the needles were inserted, but felt pain after the alcohol wore off.

Police said the person suspected of preparing the wine mixture was being investigated as an accomplice.

Magalhaes said he thought the needles would work their way through the boy's body and kill him without anyone discovering. But the pain eventually led the boy to complain to his mother and X-rays revealed needles throughout his body.

Doctors said another surgery is scheduled for next week to remove needles lodged in the boy's back, near his spine.

Also Wednesday, police in northern state of Maranhao detained a man for allegedly inserting seven needles in the body of his 2-year-old son in August. Police were investigating the circumstances of the case. Two of the needles have already been removed.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/world/story/953981.html

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 10:00:01 PM »

And it just gets worse...   Poor little tyke.  He's been in pain, and undergoing procedures.  I hope the doctors can continue to help him, and that none of the needles work themselves into worse places.  I hope he doesn't suffer from infections, and I really hope he is able to grow up and be with people that love him, and he won't remember the awfulness of what's going on now.   an angelic monkey

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 12:02:24 PM »

Sao Paulo - Brazilian doctors have decided not to immediately remove nine of the 31 needles found in a toddler's body because his life is no longer in danger.

Doctor Roque Aras said on Tuesday that the remaining needles are small and don't pose a significant threat. Aras isn't ruling out future operations, however.

The two-year-old boy had his third surgery in 10 days on Monday to extract four needles from his neck. Doctors removed 14 more from his intestines, liver and bladder last week, and four from near his heart and lungs earlier.
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=122&art_id=nw20091229175025269C828671

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.