April 16, 2024, 04:31:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mary Wilcox 78, VT, reported missing 2006(Alzheimers) Murdered by Daughter  (Read 8964 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: December 17, 2009, 11:39:26 AM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iHFM9niG9vVQPm39O6j1zrnYD3TAD9CL4LJ81

Police: Vt. woman killed mom, had son bury remains

By JOHN CURRAN (AP) – 1 hour ago

WESTFORD, Vt. — Vermont State Police say a 78-year-old woman with Alzheimer's disease who was reported missing in 2006 was killed by her daughter, who then burned her body in the backyard and had her son — the victim's grandson — dispose of it.

Mary Wilcox, of Westford, was living with her daughter's family when she was reported missing.

Fifty-nine-year-old Jeanne Sevigny told police her mother had Alzheimer's disease and wandered from their home Nov. 9, 2006. But police say Sevigny killed Wilcox and burned the body. Authorities say she had her son, 30-year-old Greg Sevigny, dispose of the remains.

Jeanne Sevigny is charged with second-degree murder. Greg Sevigny is charged with unlawful disposal of a human body.

Both are due in court Thursday in Burlington.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:42:31 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:41:58 AM »

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=11692347

Police: Missing Westford woman was murdered

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 8:44 AM Updated: Dec 17, 2009 9:22 AM

Mary Wilcox

Westford, Vermont - December 17, 2009

Vermont State Police now say what had appeared to be a case of an elderly woman with Alzheimer's wandering off-- was actually a murder.

Mary Wilcox, 78, of Westford, was reported missing November 10, 2006. Her daughter, Jeanne Sevigny, told police she believed Wilcox, who suffered from Alzheimer's disease, had wandered away from the home when she was left unattended the day before. Police conducted several searches for Wilcox but never found her.

Police now say Jeanne Sevigny killed her mother and burned the body. And they say Sevigny's son, Greg, buried the remains in the woods.

Police arrested Jeanne Sevigny, 59, of Westford, for second-degree murder. She will be arraigned today.

Greg Sevigny, 30, of Westford, was also arrested. He's charged with unlawful disposal of a human body. He's also due in court today.

Investigators say the crime recently came to light when someone provided new information in the case that contradicted Jeanne Sevigny's account of her mother's disappearance. So detectives again interviewed Jeanne Sevigny and Greg Sevigny about Wilcox's disappearance.

Investigators say a friend of Greg Sevigny, who assisted in burying Wilcox's remains, is cooperating with police and no charges will be filed against that person at this time.

Police say their investigation is still active. They plan to conduct new searches to find Wilcox's remains based on the new information.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:43:34 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »

This undated photo released by Vermont State Police shows Jeanne Sevigny, 59

This undated photo released by Vermont State Police shows Greg Sevigny, 30

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »

Being a caregiver is a daunting task.  Unfortunately, most caregivers are not given any training nor are they advised what to do if they become overwhelmed.  That is, however, no excuse for killing anyone, let alone your own mother.
Not saying this is the case, but often folks care for others in their homes for the money, ie social security, other state and federal monies etc.
It may seem at times that a nursing home is worse than death, but it doesn't have to be that way.
This evil woman made a choice, her son made a choice -- may God have mercy on their souls.  I feel no mercy!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 10:10:25 PM »

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=11702318
Search continues for remains of murder victim

Westford, Vermont - December 18, 2009

Vermont State Police were back in the woods of Westford Friday looking for the remains of 78-year-old Mary Wilcox.

Troopers are scouring an area behind the town elementary school where they believe Wilcox's ashes were dumped.

Police say her daughter, Jeanne Sevigny, 59, killed Wilcox at their house and burned her body. Then police say Sevigny's son Greg, 30, got rid of the remains.

The search is expected to continue through the weekend.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 04:29:39 PM »

Search for body postponed by snow
Updated: Wednesday, 23 Dec 2009, 3:22 PM EST

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) - Stymied by snow, frozen ground and a vague lead, homicide investigators have postponed a search for the remains of an elderly woman with Alzheimer's disease who police say was shot to death and incinerated by her daughter and buried by her grandson.

"Unfortunately, Vermont in winter really doesn't help us out when we're trying to do this type of search," said Major Ed Ledo, commander of the Vermont State Police's criminal division. "You're putting people out there in below-zero weather with wind blowing, and you're trying to dig through frozen ground. Not even productive."

Investigators will resume searching in the spring for the remains of Mary Wilcox, a 78-year-old Westford woman who suffered from Alzheimer's disease and was reported missing by her family in 2006.

Prosecutors said last week that she was shot to death by her 59-year-old daughter, Jeanne Sevigny, who then burned the body in a backyard fire pit and put the charred remains in a suitcase that she gave to her son to bury.

Gregory Sevigny, 30, who is Wilcox's grandson, allegedly buried the suitcase in woods behind Westford Elementary School.

She's charged with second-degree murder and is being held without bail. Police said she told them that Wilcox was shot during a struggle that began when Sevigny found her with a pistol and tried to take it away from her. Gregory Sevigny is charged with unlawful disposal of a body.

According to a police affidavit, Gregory Sevigny said the remains consisted of a skull, spinal cord and bones, which he said he buried next to a big rock on a trail behind the school.

Crime scene investigators spent three days searching for the remains in the woods behind the red brick elementary school and used cadaver-sniffing dogs, but were unable to find them.

"You want to move away the debris on the ground to see if it's been disturbed or possibly dug there, but with snow, frost and bitter cold, and not having a precise location of where she was disposed of, it's very difficult," Ledo said Wednesday.

He said Gregory Sevigny, through his attorney, was trying to assist but that the burial occurred at night and in foul weather, and it was three years ago. Asked if police believe Gregory Sevigny was being truthful in describing the location, Ledo said: "He's trying to remember as best as he can, but who's to say? We're taking him for his word on where he recalls disposing of the remains."

His lawyer, Bob Katims, said Sevigny was being as helpful as he could be to police.

Katims acknowledged that the absence of a body -- and the fact that the pistol used hasn't been found -- could be a problem for prosecutors.

"I don't know what the ramifications would be if nothing's ever found. It certain presents challenges to the prosecution, but there may be ways around those challenges. We'll just see what happens," Katims said.

The prosecutor in the case, Chittenden County State's Attorney T.J. Donovan, couldn't be reached for comment Wednesday. He was not in the office and didn't immediately respond to a message left on his cell phone.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpps/news/national/northeast/Search-for-body-postponed-by-snow-_3150295

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:28:55 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/13/us/AP-US-Grandmother-Killed.html
Vt. Woman Accused of Killing Mom Is Freed on Bail
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: January 13, 2010

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) -- A Vermont woman accused of shooting her mother and then burning her body in a backyard fire pit is out of jail.

Fifty-nine-year-old Jeanne Sevigny, of Westford, posted $150,000 bail Wednesday.

Sevigny is accused of killing Mary Wilcox, who suffered from Alzheimer's disease and was reported missing by her family in 2006. Last month, prosecutors charged her daughter with second-degree murder.

Sevigny's lawyer has said she found her mother with a pistol and was trying to wrest it from her when it went off, shooting Wilcox in the chest. He says Sevigny then panicked and made some bad decisions after the accidental shooting.

While out on bail, Sevigny is not to have contact with her son, who prosecutors say buried a suitcase containing Wilcox's remains.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/13/us/AP-US-Grandmother-Killed.html
Vt. Woman Accused of Killing Mom Is Freed on Bail
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: January 13, 2010

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) -- A Vermont woman accused of shooting her mother and then burning her body in a backyard fire pit is out of jail.

Fifty-nine-year-old Jeanne Sevigny, of Westford, posted $150,000 bail Wednesday.

Sevigny is accused of killing Mary Wilcox, who suffered from Alzheimer's disease and was reported missing by her family in 2006. Last month, prosecutors charged her daughter with second-degree murder.

Sevigny's lawyer has said she found her mother with a pistol and was trying to wrest it from her when it went off, shooting Wilcox in the chest. He says Sevigny then panicked and made some bad decisions after the accidental shooting.

While out on bail, Sevigny is not to have contact with her son, who prosecutors say buried a suitcase containing Wilcox's remains.

Well of course, one always leaves a loaded gun around a person with dementia.  No wonder her bail was so low.  Silly me!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 05:33:14 PM »

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=11815738
Woman accused of killing mom to be released from jail
Burlington, Vermont - January 13, 2010

A Westford woman charged with murdering her mother will be released on bail.

59-year-old Jeanne Sevigny is accused of murdering her mother, 78-year-old Mary Wilcox, three years ago. Police say Sevigny shot her mother, burned the body and had the remains buried near the Westford Elementary School.

Sevigny told police her mother was attempting suicide, and the gun went off as she struggled to disarm her.

Sevigny was initially ordered held without bail, which is customary in murder cases. But Wednesday, District Court Judge Michael Kupersmith, without explanation, reduced bail to $150,000 cash. Sevigny secured the cash with a bail bondsman and was released.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 06:43:39 AM »

Third search for woman's body in Westford proves unsuccessful
By Sam Hemingway, Free Press Staff Writer • Saturday, May 29, 2010

A third search of an area behind Westford Elementary School this week found no trace of the body of an elderly woman allegedly killed and burned by her daughter in 2006, Vermont State Police said.

“A search of the area behind the school was done yesterday and yielded no results,” Sgt. Tara Thomas, spokeswoman for the state police, said Friday.

Thomas said the search for the body will resume at some point in the near future and said police still believe the body of the 78-year-old woman, Mary Wilcox, will be found at the site.

“We’re definitely not giving up on it,” Thomas said. “It’s going to be a long process.”

Wilcox is believed to have been buried at a location along a set of trails behind the school by her grandson and a friend of his at the instruction of Jeanne Wilcox’s daughter Jeanne Sevigny, 50, of Westford.

According to police, Sevigny shot and killed Wilcox in November 2006, dragged her body to an outdoor fire pit and burned her remains. She then put them in a suitcase and asked her son, Greg Sevigny, 31, to bury them.

Sevigny later reported her mother as missing, sparking a search of a vast, forested area of Westford.

Police treated the Wilcox matter as a missing person’s case until the ex-girlfriend of Greg Sevigny approached police late last year and told them Jeanne Sevigny had killed Wilcox.

The ex-girlfriend said she and Greg Sevigny were at the Westford house in November 2006 when she saw three spent ammunition rounds and Jeanne Sevigny asked Greg Sevigny she needed him to start a fire in the fire pit so she could burn Wilcox’s soiled bed sheets.

The ex-girlfriend said Greg Sevigny later told her that his mother had brought a suitcase to his job site in Winooski and told him to bury it. When he asked what was in the suitcase, she answered “your grandmother.”

Jeanne Sevigny was charged with second-degree murder Dec. 17 and Greg Sevigny was charged with unlawful removal of a body. Both pleaded not guilty.

Police have said Greg Sevigny and a friend provided information on where the body is buried. An initial three-day search for the body in December was called off because of cold weather. A second search, on April 26, was cut short because of a late-spring snowstorm.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20100529/NEWS02/100528024/Third-search-for-woman-s-body-in-Westford-proves-unsuccessful

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:40:21 AM »

THIS IS NOT JUSTICE!!!    sentenced to at least four years and nine months in prison

Vermont woman gets prison in killing of her mother, 78
Posted: 06/02/2011 10:48:41 PM EDT

http://helpfindthemissing.org/forum/showthread.php?p=841448#post841448  post# 19
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:42:39 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 07:23:58 PM »

THIS IS NOT JUSTICE!!!    sentenced to at least four years and nine months in prison

Vermont woman gets prison in killing of her mother, 78
Posted: 06/02/2011 10:48:41 PM EDT

http://helpfindthemissing.org/forum/showthread.php?p=841448#post841448  post# 19
Thank goodness I believe in an even higher judgment -- because this is ridiculous!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »

Not justice 

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.