April 27, 2024, 08:16:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Begging for Ban Thread #11  (Read 404483 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1120 on: December 26, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »

Miles and Miles of Texas
Asleep at the Wheel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P2JdCjdZVI

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1121 on: December 26, 2009, 03:11:43 PM »

Miles and Miles of Texas
Asleep at the Wheel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P2JdCjdZVI
  There sure is. Northern I don't remember the other places you posted either  My husband is sure though that my parents would eat at that steak house in the liquor store when they came to visit, because he said it was close to their hotel.
darla
Monkey Junky

In Honor of my son Lt. Brandon W. Rollins LCSO.

« Reply #1122 on: December 26, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »

Good Afternoon Monkeys!

Hope everyone is enjoying a quiet relaxing day today. I have been in hibernation since Thursday afternoon and catching up on some much needed rest. I have had a pajama day for 2 days now lol.
JSM, hoping you are having a better day today. I have an uncle in Wichita Falls and a cousin.
The rain finally stopped last night. We got a total of 4.6 inches in about 15 hours.

You will never know that Faith in prayer is all you need,
until it is all you have left!
God Bless!
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1123 on: December 26, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »

Good Afternoon Monkeys!

Hope everyone is enjoying a quiet relaxing day today. I have been in hibernation since Thursday afternoon and catching up on some much needed rest. I have had a pajama day for 2 days now lol.
JSM, hoping you are having a better day today. I have an uncle in Wichita Falls and a cousin.
The rain finally stopped last night. We got a total of 4.6 inches in about 15 hours.
I'm glad the rain stopped, 2 days in pajamas sounds good to me, I'm going to head out to Target in awhile, to see if there are any bargains 
darla
Monkey Junky

In Honor of my son Lt. Brandon W. Rollins LCSO.

« Reply #1124 on: December 26, 2009, 03:52:41 PM »

I don't even care about bargains this year lol. I think I have had enough shopping to last til next Christmas. I usually hit the stores the day after Christmas to pick up decorations for next year, but not this year. I have two boxes of stuff I bought last year that I didn't even use this year. I don't know what is wrong with me, just don't have the willpower to even get dressed.

You will never know that Faith in prayer is all you need,
until it is all you have left!
God Bless!
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1125 on: December 26, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »

Good Afternoon Monkeys!

I'm glad the rain stopped, 2 days in pajamas sounds good to me, I'm going to head out to Target in awhile, to see if there are any bargains 

Hope you find some good bargoons!

I, on the other hand, have decided to take a nap. LOL

Catch you all in a bit.

bananas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1126 on: December 26, 2009, 03:59:53 PM »

Morning Tevye

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Thanks for the prayer for JSM. Am not sure which way they are going once the get to Albuquerque but I kooked and it will be cold the roads are all open with no snow coming for a day or two. I pray they make better time today.

Day two of JSM's great adventure.  I have only ever been to Plano, TX.  It says estimated drive time is 5 hours 5 mins.  Albuquerque tomorrow?

I have driven through Texas several times, and I thought I would never get out of the state, and every time we would get to Oklahoma, some weird weather we would always run into. I hope Albuquerque doesn't have snow, because the whole town comes to a stand still, and nobody can figure out how to drive. Texas is a really big state when you are driving through it, I didn't want anyone to think I couldn't wait to get out of there, that is not what I meant.

I know exactly what you meant.  Everything is BIG here in Texas.  The first time I had to drive across this state, I thought we would never get across it! 

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me."
bananas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1127 on: December 26, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »

Happy Boxing Day!!
Happy Boxing Day 
We really should celebrate Boxing Day here in the US. I'd love to take this huge chocolate cheesecake next door and trade it for some turkey sammiches.

And all this time, I thought Muffy was from the US. Learn something every day, I suppose.

Husband being Canadian, never really cared for Boxing Day, but he always reminds me when it is Boxing Day. LOL I told him I'd box up our dinner leftovers and present them to him. Wink

Hope you all are having a great Saturday. We have had lots of rain, and the snow is losing its grip on our ground, and the birds can finally find their own food to supplement the bags of food they have been going through at our feeder! We bought ourselves another bird feeder for Christmas, too!

Hi Brandi, I am curoius, how do you celebrate boxing day... I mean what do folks do to celebrate?

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1128 on: December 26, 2009, 07:24:22 PM »

Happy Boxing Day!!
Happy Boxing Day 
We really should celebrate Boxing Day here in the US. I'd love to take this huge chocolate cheesecake next door and trade it for some turkey sammiches.

And all this time, I thought Muffy was from the US. Learn something every day, I suppose.

Husband being Canadian, never really cared for Boxing Day, but he always reminds me when it is Boxing Day. LOL I told him I'd box up our dinner leftovers and present them to him. Wink

Hope you all are having a great Saturday. We have had lots of rain, and the snow is losing its grip on our ground, and the birds can finally find their own food to supplement the bags of food they have been going through at our feeder! We bought ourselves another bird feeder for Christmas, too!

Hi Brandi, I am curoius, how do you celebrate boxing day... I mean what do folks do to celebrate?

Just woke up from a long nap!

bananas, I am American. I don't celebrate Boxing Day. LOL

My husband is Canadian, and has lived here in the US with me since 1999 and he no longer celebrates it either. He remembers it as a day of sales the day after Christmas.

Muffy is the one who mentioned Boxing Day first, so she probably has better knowledge of it than I. Wink

It is usually celebrated in England, Canada and Australia, as far as I know.

I just looked it up and wikipedia has a good article. I'll quote a bit here for you:

"Boxing Day is a bank and public holiday in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Ghana, Switzerland, Germany, Greenland, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Nigeria, Trinidad & Tobago, Jamaica and countries in the Commonwealth of Nations with a mainly Christian population. In South Africa this public holiday is now known as the Day of Goodwill. Though it is not an official holiday in the United States, the name "Boxing Day" for the day after Christmas has some currency among Americans, particularly those that live near the Canada – United States border.

Boxing Day was traditionally a day on which the servants had a day off from their duties. Because of this the gentry would eat cold cuts and have a buffet-style feast prepared by the servants in advance. In modern times many families will still follow this tradition by eating a family-style buffet lunch, with cold cuts rather than a full cooked meal. It is a time for family, parlour games and sports in the UK.

The traditional recorded celebration of Boxing Day has long included giving money and other gifts to those who were needy and in service positions. The European tradition has been dated to the Middle Ages, but the exact origin is unknown and there are some claims that it goes back to the late Roman/early Christian era; metal boxes were placed outside churches used to collect special offerings tied to the Feast of Saint Stephen.[1]

In the United Kingdom it certainly became a custom of the nineteenth century Victorians for tradesmen to collect their "Christmas boxes" or gifts in return for good and reliable service throughout the year on the day after Christmas.[2] However, the exact etymology of the term "Boxing" is unclear, with several competing theories, none of which is definitively true.[3]Another possibility is that the name derives from an old English tradition: in exchange for ensuring that wealthy landowners' Christmases ran smoothly, their servants were allowed to take the 26th off to visit their families. The employers gave each servant a box containing gifts and bonuses (and sometimes leftover food). In addition, around the 1800's, churches opened their alms boxes (boxes where people place monetary donations) and distributed the contents to the poor. [4]

The establishment of Boxing Day as a defined public holiday under the legislation that created the UK's Bank Holidays started the separation of 'Boxing Day' from the 'Feast of St Stephen', and today it is almost entirely a secular holiday with a tradition of shopping and post-Christmas sales starting."

Northern Rose is Canadian and I read that she was going to have her traditional buffet for Boxing Day today, but postponed it. She would also be a good person to ask about Boxing Day.

Hope your day goes great tomorrow, bananas!

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1129 on: December 26, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »

Hi ALL,  Nothing from JSM yet? I guess it's still early New Mexico - Colorado time. Sure hope all went well for her today.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1130 on: December 26, 2009, 08:03:06 PM »

I know JSM is missing her furbaby...I know I would be....hope your having a good trip JSM...waiting to hear more about your vacation!!!

bananas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1131 on: December 26, 2009, 08:17:53 PM »

Thanks Brandi for all the information about boxing day.  I was curiouis.

Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1132 on: December 26, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »

Happy Boxing Day!!
Happy Boxing Day 

Just woke up from a long nap!

bananas, I am American. I don't celebrate Boxing Day. LOL

My husband is Canadian, and has lived here in the US with me since 1999 and he no longer celebrates it either. He remembers it as a day of sales the day after Christmas.

Muffy is the one who mentioned Boxing Day first, so she probably has better knowledge of it than I. Wink

It is usually celebrated in England, Canada and Australia, as far as I know.

I just looked it up and wikipedia has a good article. I'll quote a bit here for you:

"Boxing Day is a bank and public holiday in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Ghana, Switzerland, Germany, Greenland, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Nigeria, Trinidad & Tobago, Jamaica and countries in the Commonwealth of Nations with a mainly Christian population. In South Africa this public holiday is now known as the Day of Goodwill. Though it is not an official holiday in the United States, the name "Boxing Day" for the day after Christmas has some currency among Americans, particularly those that live near the Canada – United States border.

Boxing Day was traditionally a day on which the servants had a day off from their duties. Because of this the gentry would eat cold cuts and have a buffet-style feast prepared by the servants in advance. In modern times many families will still follow this tradition by eating a family-style buffet lunch, with cold cuts rather than a full cooked meal. It is a time for family, parlour games and sports in the UK.

The traditional recorded celebration of Boxing Day has long included giving money and other gifts to those who were needy and in service positions. The European tradition has been dated to the Middle Ages, but the exact origin is unknown and there are some claims that it goes back to the late Roman/early Christian era; metal boxes were placed outside churches used to collect special offerings tied to the Feast of Saint Stephen.[1]

In the United Kingdom it certainly became a custom of the nineteenth century Victorians for tradesmen to collect their "Christmas boxes" or gifts in return for good and reliable service throughout the year on the day after Christmas.[2] However, the exact etymology of the term "Boxing" is unclear, with several competing theories, none of which is definitively true.[3]Another possibility is that the name derives from an old English tradition: in exchange for ensuring that wealthy landowners' Christmases ran smoothly, their servants were allowed to take the 26th off to visit their families. The employers gave each servant a box containing gifts and bonuses (and sometimes leftover food). In addition, around the 1800's, churches opened their alms boxes (boxes where people place monetary donations) and distributed the contents to the poor. [4]

The establishment of Boxing Day as a defined public holiday under the legislation that created the UK's Bank Holidays started the separation of 'Boxing Day' from the 'Feast of St Stephen', and today it is almost entirely a secular holiday with a tradition of shopping and post-Christmas sales starting."

Northern Rose is Canadian and I read that she was going to have her traditional buffet for Boxing Day today, but postponed it. She would also be a good person to ask about Boxing Day.

Hope your day goes great tomorrow, bananas!

Hi Brandi--Thanks for the explanation of Boxing Day.  I thought it was celebrated like my family does--everyone put on boxing gloves and duke it out.

Wrong is wrong, even if everybody does it.
Right is right, even if nobody does it. ~ Unknown
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1133 on: December 26, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »

Babybear, just like my family 
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #1134 on: December 26, 2009, 09:18:11 PM »

Good Evening Monkeys - Sigh............. well it is the day after Christmas - I hate when it is over, I love Christmas so much. I hope you all had a great Christmas and are relaxing and taking it easy.  I finally got the house cleaned up after a wonderful 2 days and am sitting here admiring the tree with just a few gifts left underneath, I will enjoy it for one more week and then put it away until next year.  So when is Spring??    Going to catch up and then hit the hay - I am beat.

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1135 on: December 26, 2009, 09:33:56 PM »

Good Evening Monkeys - Sigh............. well it is the day after Christmas - I hate when it is over, I love Christmas so much. I hope you all had a great Christmas and are relaxing and taking it easy.  I finally got the house cleaned up after a wonderful 2 days and am sitting here admiring the tree with just a few gifts left underneath, I will enjoy it for one more week and then put it away until next year.  So when is Spring??    Going to catch up and then hit the hay - I am beat.

Hi mission!

I am glad you had a great Christmas celebration.

I had to comment when you asked, "So when is Spring?" LOL

We just started Winter!  Wink

We have the New Year to greet, then 6 weeks until we celebrate Valentine's Day, then the next month, St. Patrick's Day .... many observances to go before Spring!

The older I get, the faster time flies, it seems, so I have learned to not rush the season! And to try to enjoy the winter months as well as the more pleasing Spring months. LOL

Oh, Babybear, wanted to say I laughed at your Boxing Day comment.

bananas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1136 on: December 26, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »

Hi Brandi--Thanks for the explanation of Boxing Day.  I thought it was celebrated like my family does--everyone put on boxing gloves and duke it out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

ha ha ha.... you know I sent my husband a text earlier and said Happy Boxing Day and he was like what??????  when he came home, he was dancing around like he was boxing... such a nut sometimes... guess that is just one of the many reasons I love him.

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1137 on: December 26, 2009, 09:43:56 PM »

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

ha ha ha.... you know I sent my husband a text earlier and said Happy Boxing Day and he was like what??????  when he came home, he was dancing around like he was boxing... such a nut sometimes... guess that is just one of the many reasons I love him.

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1138 on: December 26, 2009, 09:56:07 PM »

I know JSM is missing her furbaby...I know I would be....hope your having a good trip JSM...waiting to hear more about your vacation!!!

I laugh every time I see your furbaby celebrating the new year!  LOL

(And I made it. ROFL!)

But I am glad you are using it, it keeps me giggling. So casual, but so elegant. hehehe

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #1139 on: December 26, 2009, 09:56:42 PM »

Hi mission!

I am glad you had a great Christmas celebration.

I had to comment when you asked, "So when is Spring?" LOL

We just started Winter!  Wink

We have the New Year to greet, then 6 weeks until we celebrate Valentine's Day, then the next month, St. Patrick's Day .... many observances to go before Spring!

The older I get, the faster time flies, it seems, so I have learned to not rush the season! And to try to enjoy the winter months as well as the more pleasing Spring months. LOL

Oh, Babybear, wanted to say I laughed at your Boxing Day comment.

You are so right Brandi we have lots of fun celebrations to go before Spring and yes winter did just begin - we have about 14 inches of snow now since the 23rd and it is snowing big flakes tonight -  it is so pretty. Time does fly that is for sure - I am going to do like you and enjoy each and every moment whether it is winter, spring or fall - no sense in wishing time away. 

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.