April 28, 2024, 07:45:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Begging for Ban Thread #11  (Read 404576 times)
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #2400 on: January 02, 2010, 08:27:17 AM »

So, monks, I have a ethical/moral question. If you knew that someone was going to die within the next 12-24 hours (verified by hospice nurses) would you make sure that someone was not left alone? Or would you just let nature take its course? I believe the patient was non-responsive for most of his last day.....

(And ain't that a cheery question to wake up to????) Sorry, this has been bugging me since yesterday, and I need other's input. Not so much to validate my position, but to hear other's opinions. Perhaps change my mind....

I would want to be with the loved one. For many reasons. You started you thought they were non-responsive for most of the day. From my personal experience and my opinion although they might seem that way, I believe they know you are there. It's a hard call and some have a difficult time being there when they pass. I would pray when my time comes my family is with me.
Prayers to you. an angelic monkey
Thanks, darla, banana and GreenEyes. You've all confirmed what I thought. The person in question was my BIL, married to Bad Sister. She couldn't be bothered to stay with him, and it hurts my heart to know he was alone. I couldn't be there (grandkid duty), and it wasn't my PLACE to be there...but I think it was hers. Now I'm just gonna have to get over it, and save this discussion for the next time I spend the night at her house and she's all boozed up and she and I can tell the TRUTH to each other. I think (hope) she's feeling guilty, and so for that, I won't fault her. But if she's full of excuses why she should have been out drinking with her friends...well, that I'm gonna have a hard time with.

I have been with folks when they've died. I know that right up until the last second, they're still "there", and I know hearing and touch are the last sensations to go. I hate for people to be scared...I hope he wasn't scared.

I am sorry to hear about your BIL Tevye.  Prayers to you and the family.  an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2401 on: January 02, 2010, 09:25:38 AM »

Tevye      an angelic monkey

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2402 on: January 02, 2010, 09:28:15 AM »

So, monks, I have a ethical/moral question. If you knew that someone was going to die within the next 12-24 hours (verified by hospice nurses) would you make sure that someone was not left alone? Or would you just let nature take its course? I believe the patient was non-responsive for most of his last day.....

(And ain't that a cheery question to wake up to????) Sorry, this has been bugging me since yesterday, and I need other's input. Not so much to validate my position, but to hear other's opinions. Perhaps change my mind....

Hi Tevye.  IMO it depends on who the patient is and what the relationship is.  In my case, I stayed with my husband and he died in my arms, but he was the love of my life .  I actually think I would stay with anyone.  In Nov. my neighbor was dying and I stayed with him and his wife til the end.

Wrong is wrong, even if everybody does it.
Right is right, even if nobody does it. ~ Unknown
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #2403 on: January 02, 2010, 09:29:53 AM »

Well, good morning to you too! 

I would not leave someone alone who is dying soon. When I worked at the hospital (oncology ward) and the nursing home, we always tried to have someone with a person who was passing on. I just think that even if you are not sure they know, a held hand during the journey is only human.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #2404 on: January 02, 2010, 09:32:32 AM »

I would want to be with the loved one. For many reasons. You started you thought they were non-responsive for most of the day. From my personal experience and my opinion although they might seem that way, I believe they know you are there. It's a hard call and some have a difficult time being there when they pass. I would pray when my time comes my family is with me.
Prayers to you. an angelic monkey
Thanks, darla, banana and GreenEyes. You've all confirmed what I thought. The person in question was my BIL, married to Bad Sister. She couldn't be bothered to stay with him, and it hurts my heart to know he was alone. I couldn't be there (grandkid duty), and it wasn't my PLACE to be there...but I think it was hers. Now I'm just gonna have to get over it, and save this discussion for the next time I spend the night at her house and she's all boozed up and she and I can tell the TRUTH to each other. I think (hope) she's feeling guilty, and so for that, I won't fault her. But if she's full of excuses why she should have been out drinking with her friends...well, that I'm gonna have a hard time with.

I have been with folks when they've died. I know that right up until the last second, they're still "there", and I know hearing and touch are the last sensations to go. I hate for people to be scared...I hope he wasn't scared.

I am so sorry Tevye. Perhaps she was afraid of facing her own mortality if she was there? Or perhaps she though if she was not there it would not happen (that magical thinking thing). Either way, the guilt will hers to feel or not feel.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #2405 on: January 02, 2010, 09:37:31 AM »

Good Morning, I also would stay with the person that was dying  an angelic monkey Glad you made it home safe JSM  an angelic monkey Hope everyone has a great day today  an angelic monkey
Tevye
Monkey Junky

Burn, baby, burn...'Ol Sparky is waiting for you!

« Reply #2406 on: January 02, 2010, 09:50:16 AM »

Thanks for all your input. I think it's only humane to have one's hand held as one passes over.  But, everyone must do what they think is best, and I know I better keep my mouth shut on this one until bad sis asks my opinion. I'll sugarcoat it, cos she is my sis, but I will tell her the truth.

And, to carry on this bright and cheerful subject, one of my nephews saw me at Christmas. I was making all kinds of jokes about cancer ("do you have any idea how much money I'm saving on hair conditioner? Be sure and put this pic of me and DH with deer antlers on our heads on my headstone....") and my poor nephew thought I was really really sick and contacted his brother and said "Is she sicker than we thought?" Poor thing! I had to write his wife a letter and explain my wicked morbid sense of humor (which, in our family, goes with the territory!) and reassure them all that I'm not going anywhere soon! Poor kids! I guess I better not joke around about it anymore. Carp, I was having fun with it! Cancer gets you: an iPod Classic, your own pink bedroom, awesome scarves, naps whenever you need them, some sympathy from DH, but not enough to spoil me...there are all kinds of plusses. But for the kids, I better lay off!

Now, today, I'm gonna go spend my Christmas money on a new flatscreen TV. I don't really need one, and could better send the money to the doctors, but darn it, I've given away every cent that anyone has given me this year (paying it forward for kids) and this time, I'm gonnna use it for me! Oh, I feel so selfishly wickedly good!!!

Remember Ladies, get the damm mamm!     Thanks, Brandi!
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2407 on: January 02, 2010, 09:57:12 AM »

Turkey anyone?   Monkey Devil! This is Digger's challenge for today.He is going crazy.     They were outside my window in the den. 

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2408 on: January 02, 2010, 09:58:20 AM »

New TV for Tevye.      You go you wicked monkey.   

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2409 on: January 02, 2010, 09:59:45 AM »

See you monkeys in a little while.Digger and I are going "faux" hunting.   

~ Peter Frampton
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #2410 on: January 02, 2010, 10:09:58 AM »

Yep I knew I missed someone. Good morning miss Sassy. Has that poor cat of yours got any skin left. lol Hope you had a fun New Years party.
That cat must be clean as a whistle.

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2411 on: January 02, 2010, 10:10:43 AM »

TRIMM  an angelic monkey Prayers for you and your friend. Just want you to know that JSM is praying for you both.  an angelic monkey

Me too Trimm  an angelic monkey
Me three Trimm 

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2412 on: January 02, 2010, 10:12:07 AM »

Hi everyone happy new year my lovely monkeys!!! Hope everyone is having a great one
Hi ScareyCarrie and Happy New Year to you too, how is MonkeyMunk doing?

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2413 on: January 02, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »

Good evening monkeys. I just got home about 10 minutes ago. Just wanted to say hey and I missed the cage today and thank God for a safe trip home.  an angelic monkey
Glad you made it home safe JSM  an angelic monkey Josef is going to be happy when he sees you 

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2414 on: January 02, 2010, 10:31:06 AM »

Thanks for all your input. I think it's only humane to have one's hand held as one passes over.  But, everyone must do what they think is best, and I know I better keep my mouth shut on this one until bad sis asks my opinion. I'll sugarcoat it, cos she is my sis, but I will tell her the truth.

And, to carry on this bright and cheerful subject, one of my nephews saw me at Christmas. I was making all kinds of jokes about cancer ("do you have any idea how much money I'm saving on hair conditioner? Be sure and put this pic of me and DH with deer antlers on our heads on my headstone....") and my poor nephew thought I was really really sick and contacted his brother and said "Is she sicker than we thought?" Poor thing! I had to write his wife a letter and explain my wicked morbid sense of humor (which, in our family, goes with the territory!) and reassure them all that I'm not going anywhere soon! Poor kids! I guess I better not joke around about it anymore. Carp, I was having fun with it! Cancer gets you: an iPod Classic, your own pink bedroom, awesome scarves, naps whenever you need them, some sympathy from DH, but not enough to spoil me...there are all kinds of plusses. But for the kids, I better lay off!

Now, today, I'm gonna go spend my Christmas money on a new flatscreen TV. I don't really need one, and could better send the money to the doctors, but darn it, I've given away every cent that anyone has given me this year (paying it forward for kids) and this time, I'm gonnna use it for me! Oh, I feel so selfishly wickedly good!!!
Personally I don't think anyone should die alone, I truly believe that part of the fear of dying is to be alone and not surrounded by those who love you and support you.  I lost a sister (she was very young) although she was very sick and in a coma and on a vent we were told that she knew we were there - they are stimulated by touch and feel your presence.  I hope your sister didn't do something she will regret later - guilt has a way of sneaking up on you.  She is fortunate to have you as a sister who is willing to talk with her about it and be honest about your feelings.  It is hard to find balance using your wit and humor when younger loved ones are around - they don't have enough wisdom to understand our humor is a sort of coping mechanism. Don't loose your sense of humor.   an angelic monkey

On a lighter note I am glad you feel wickedly good and damn get the nicest TV money can buy. 

joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #2415 on: January 02, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »

Glad you made it home safe.  Did you get to go to mass? Did you eat at any of those neat places?

Happy New Year.
Happy New Year Northern. Yes, made it to Mass but didn't get to eat at any of those cool places. My parents picked me up a burrito at some fancy burrito place so I had something to eat on the way home. We wanted to make it home in one day.

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2416 on: January 02, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »

Good Morning Tevye. Personally, with both my grandmothers, they passed away with family in hospice. I wasn't there because I couldn't deal with it, but other family members were. I would hope at the time of my passing, someone would be there with me. JMO JSM  an angelic monkey

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2417 on: January 02, 2010, 11:31:08 AM »

Is your mom mad at me about the beer?

Nah, she wasn't mad at all.

joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2418 on: January 02, 2010, 11:32:52 AM »

Good evening monkeys. I just got home about 10 minutes ago. Just wanted to say hey and I missed the cage today and thank God for a safe trip home.  an angelic monkey
Yeah! I'm so glad you're home, and I'm so glad you went! I bet it meant the world to your mom. What was your favorite part of the trip?
The ride home. I watched Slap shot all the way home. I think pond skating was my favorite. 

joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2419 on: January 02, 2010, 11:34:04 AM »

Valentine avatars have been posted!!!

Go get yours!

(Trimm and JSM ... yours come tomorrow. I left you a special post.)

Thanks Brandi, I am looking forward to it. 
OH, yeah, and GET CABLE BEFORE THE OLYMPICS START! I will not be able to enjoy them without your commentary!
I will be calling AT&T this week. I can't live without cable after this past week.  Monkey Devil!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.