March 29, 2024, 09:00:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Edwards Declares Candidacy for 2008 Prez Nomination(Withdrew 1/08)  (Read 5529 times)
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« on: December 28, 2006, 04:36:30 PM »

Former Democratic VP Nominee John Edwards Running again For 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination

http://www.scaredmonkeys.com/2006/12/28/former-democratic-vp-nominee-john-edwards-running-again-for-2008-democratic-presidential-nomination/

It is really difficult to believe how anyone can take this man seriously as a candidate. He was a novice in the 2004 race and not much has changed in 2 years.

His 2 Americas platform is as divisive as it gets. Just what America needs ... a divider ... not a Uniter.

Edit to add update subject line.  MB
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:04:57 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 12:41:28 AM »

I like John Edwards very much. Sorry to disagree with you, Red. He is young but very skilled and highly polished. I think we should give him serious consideration. Also Republicans should begin to think about which Democrat they like best ... because no Republican will be elected President in 2008 unless there is massive voter fraud in Ohio and Florida again ... or perhaps it will happen in another state.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 11:51:15 AM »

I also like John Edwards, and I like his wife as well. I don't understand the lightweight description. He is a self-made man who built a properous law firm, has overcome a great loss, stood by his wife through 2 middle-aged pregnancies and a bout with breast cancer, and run successfully for political office. I'd call that a pretty successful life, by anyone's standards. No one gave him what he has...he's earned it.

With all due respect - What did Dubya do before he was elected that disqualified him from being a lightweight? He was Gov. of Texas. And spent a good part of his life drinking and drugging and living on his family name. I have never had a great respect for him like I did for his father, and his Presidency is a disaster, IMHO. He is not the man his father is, unfortunately. I don't dislike him because he is a Republican - I dislike him because he does not have the intellect to make good decisions. Even die-hard Republicans have to admit that he's made a mess of his job.

I welcome new ideas and a new approach, by anyone who can bring them to the table, whether they are Republican or Democrat. We all need to be willing to listen and evaluate anyone's plan with an open mind. That's how this country was started....with a brash new plan for the future that everyone said was doomed for failure.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 08:19:14 PM »

Bravo!  Standing on a chair clapping.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/27/us-crime-edwards-idUSTRE79Q51120111027
Judge allows criminal case against John Edwards to proceed
October 27, 2011

(Reuters) - A federal judge on Thursday allowed the criminal case to proceed against former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, who is accused of accepting illegal campaign contributions to hide an affair.

U.S. District Judge Catherine Eagles ruled a day after hearing hours of argument in Greensboro, North Carolina, on five defense motions challenging the six-count indictment. Some of the defense arguments had merit, the judge said, but she ruled the issues should be decided by a jury.

Edwards, who has pleaded not guilty, is set to go to trial in January on charges of conspiracy, accepting illegal campaign contributions and making false statements.

At issue is the $900,000 prosecutors said was provided by two of Edwards' wealthy supporters to help him hide an affair and a child conceived with his former campaign videographer during his failed bid for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination.

Edwards, a former U.S. Senator from North Carolina and John Kerry's vice presidential running mate, faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine on each count if convicted.
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:39:50 PM »

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-10-27/john-edwards-loses-bid-to-dismiss-campaign-crime-case.html
John Edwards Loses Bid to Dismiss Campaign Crime Case
October 27, 2011

(Updates with comment from judge in third paragraph.)

Oct. 27 (Bloomberg) -- John Edwards, the former vice presidential candidate accused of accepting illegal campaign contributions to hide an extramarital affair, lost a bid for dismissal of the case he claims is being driven by politics.

Edwards, a former North Carolina senator, argued that prosecutors abused their authority in charging him, that his indictment failed to state an actual crime and that grand jury proceedings in the case were flawed. U.S. District Judge Catherine Eagles in Greensboro, North Carolina, rejected those arguments and denied Edwards’s request for grand jury materials.

“These matters are better to be dealt with by the jury at trial,” Eagles said today at the conclusion of a two-day hearing.

Edwards, Democrat John Kerry’s running mate in the 2004 election, was the subject of a two-year investigation into whether he used more than $925,000 in contributions to conceal his relationship with filmmaker Rielle Hunter, with whom he fathered a child. He withdraw in January 2008 from the race for the presidential nomination.

Prosecutors allege that campaign donations in 2007 and 2008 were part of an effort to prevent disclosures that would have undermined his presidential campaign. Edwards accepted about $725,000 from one person and more than $200,000 from another, according to the indictment.

Federal law limits the amount a person may contribute to candidates. The most an individual could contribute in the 2008 presidential primary was $2,300.

Donors Identified

Court documents identified the donors as millionaire heiress Rachel “Bunny” Mellon and Dallas-based trial lawyer Fred Baron.

Mellon, who is to testify as a witness in the case, allegedly wrote more than $700,000 in personal checks made payable to a friend and listed in the memo lines that the checks were for antique furniture, according to court documents. Baron, finance chairman for Edwards’s presidential campaign, died of blood cancer in October 2008.

The indictment puts the court in “uncharted territory,” as no court in 100 years has held that the conduct Edwards is charged with violates the Federal Election Campaign Act, his lawyers said last month in court papers.

The court would also have to find that Edwards had “fair warning” that his conduct would violate the law, according to court papers. Without those findings, “the government’s entire case fails,” his lawyers said.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 11:33:33 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/john-edwards-asks-delay-trial-citing-illness-15216836
John Edwards Asks to Delay Trial, Citing Illness
By MICHAEL BIESECKER
December 23, 2011

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/john-edwards-asks-delay-trial-citing-illness-15216836
John Edwards Asks to Delay Trial, Citing Illness
By MICHAEL BIESECKER
December 23, 2011

Although I don't wish illness on anyone . . . if I did I could think of a couple of dis-eases I wish he had.  Just saying.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/13/politics/john-edwards-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
Hearing scheduled in John Edwards' case after request for delay
January 13, 2012

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 10:13:10 AM »

I feel sorry for the children, from all the mothers.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »

I feel sorry for the children, from all the mothers.

I feel sorry for the children too, WhiskyGirl. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/23/john-edwards-mistress-wins-ownership-sex-tape/
Sex tape of John Edwards and mistress will be destroyed
February 23, 2012

RALEIGH, N.C. –  The purported sex tape of former presidential candidate John Edwards and his mistress will be destroyed within 30 days after a lawsuit over who owned the tape was settled Thursday.

Rielle Hunter sued former Edwards aide Andrew Young and his wife in 2010 over the tape and other personal items the couple said she left in a box of trash while they were helping her hideout as the former North Carolina senator ran for the White House. Hunter lived with the Youngs while she was pregnant with Edwards' baby, and Young initially said he was the father.

In the settlement, the Youngs agreed to give up their claim on the tape and other property, which has been held in the vault of a North Carolina courthouse. Hunter has long wanted the tapes destroyed.

"We are very pleased that this settlement achieved all that she had ever hoped to achieve with this lawsuit," said Allison Van Laningham, one of Hunter's lawyers.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 01:08:46 PM »

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/jury-selection-begins-edwards-trial/nMXtf/
Jury selection begins in Edwards campaign finance trial
April 12, 2012

GREENSBORO, N.C. —

After years of investigation, denials and delays, jury selection is under way in the criminal trial of former presidential candidate John Edwards.

It has been 10 months since Edwards was charged in a six-count indictment. Thursday morning, he walked into the federal courthouse in Greensboro to begin his trial on campaign finance violations.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.