April 25, 2024, 02:57:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Healthcare Unrepealable? WTF!!! Fascism and genocide?  (Read 2038 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: December 22, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »

Sen. Jim DeMint (R., S.C.) has thumbed through Harry Reid's manager's amendment and discovered some "particularly troubling" rule-change provisions, especially with regards to the proposed Independent Medicare Advisory Board, which he finds could be unrepealable:

DEMINT: But, Mr. President, as the chair has confirmed, Rule 22, paragraph 2, of the standing rules of the Senate, states that on a measure or motion to amend the Senate rules, the necessary affirmative vote shall be two-thirds of the senators present and voting. Let me go to the bill before us, because buried deep within the over 2,000 pages of this bill, we find a rather substantial change to the standing rules of the Senate. It is section 3403 and it begins on page 1,000 of the Reid substitute. . . . These provisions not only amend certain rules, they waive certain rules and create entirely new rules out of whole cloth.”   

[The Senate President disagreed and said it was a change in procedure, not a change in rules, therefore the Senate precedent that a two-thirds vote is required to change the rules of the Senate does not apply.]

DEMINT: and so the language you see in this bill that specifically refers to a change in a rule is not a rule change, it’s a procedure change?

THE PRESIDING OFFICER: that is correct.

DEMINT: then I guess our rules mean nothing, do they, if they can redefine them. Thank you. and I do yield back.

THE PRESIDING OFFICER: the senate stands adjourned until 7:00 a.m. tomorrow.

As RedState wonders: Why did the Senate adjourn just when the questions got tough?

UPDATE: Some background from a GOP Senate staffer:

The bill changes some Senate rules to say we can't vote in a future Congress to repeal the IMAB (death panels). A senate rules change would require 67 votes for cloture on the bill, but the parliamentarian decided its a "procedural change" not a "rules change" so they only need 60... Makes no sense. Anyway, its likely we could still find a way to kill the death panels even though the bill changes the rules to say we can't (maybe deny them funding would work, we could change the senate rule it creates in a later Congress with a 67 senator vote), but it's clear the health bill changes Senate rules and needs 67 votes for cloture, but Frumin seems to be in Reid's back pocket and is making stuff up to save the bill.

It also shows that this provision inparticular is very important to Dems. They chose this section out of all others to give the highest possible protection against change or repeal showing how insatiable their desire is to allow Washington bureaucrats to control our lives.

video and more here - http://www.nationalreview.com/doctor/post/?q=NTU0ZjI4ZmU3N2RmNTRiODE0NDgzNmNlM2RkY2VlYTI=

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »

They like to vote when nobody is around.

That is HOW this nation was taken off the Gold Standard.

It is a sneaky dirty political move that is technically legal.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.