March 28, 2024, 03:13:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sarah Haley Foxwell, 11, Missing 12/22/09 from Salisbury, MD(BODY FOUND)  (Read 151513 times)
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #260 on: January 08, 2010, 10:45:05 AM »

I agree with you Leroy...if she knew ...

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #261 on: January 10, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20100110/NEWS01/1100303/Records-reveal-troubles-in-Sarah-Foxwell-s-family
Records reveal troubles in Sarah Foxwell's family
By Sharahn D. Boykin • Staff Writer • January 10, 2010

SALISBURY -- When Sarah Haley Foxwell was reported as missing two days before Christmas, news of her disappearance spread quickly and spurred Lower Shore residents to action.

More than 3,000 mothers, fathers and children east of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge held onto hope Christmas Day as they traveled before daybreak to Arthur W. Perdue Stadium to help search for the 11-year-old Wicomico Middle School student.

Nine hours later, outside the stadium in the rain, Wicomico County Sheriff Mike Lewis announced that a search team had located Foxwell's badly burned body in rural Delmar, less than eight miles from the girl's home.

And in the midst of their tragedy -- as heart-sickened people wondered how something so tragic could be allowed to have happened -- Foxwell's parents and aunt became the subject of scrutiny and ridicule. Where were the parents, Jennifer and Thomas Foxwell?

In conversations across the community, people have also wondered about the little girl's aunt, Amy Fothergill, following the arrest of the man charged with her disappearance. Fothergill told police she dated Thomas James Leggs Jr., a 30-year-old dual-state registered sex offender, for a short period about a month before her niece was abducted from her bedroom.

While it isn't known publicly whether Fothergill knew Leggs was a registered sex offender while they were dating, the aunt has been second-guessed in her role as caretaker; questions have swirled over how she came to be the designated guardian of Sarah "Haleybugs" Foxwell and her siblings.

Family statement
Court records do not state exactly when Foxwell and her siblings moved in with their aunt, but a Wicomico Circuit Court judge on Oct. 7, 2008, ordered Jennifer Foxwell to pay Fothergill $150 a month to support the six children.

Since the time of Foxwell's disappearance, her family has declined numerous interview requests. However, Jennifer Foxwell and Fothergill released a brief jointly written statement to The Daily Times last week.

"For a variety of reasons, Amy stepped in to care for the children until Jennifer got on her feet," the statement reads. "By agreement, both Jennifer and Amy felt this was in the best interest of the children."
Foxwell's family did not offer specific reasons why Sarah and her siblings were living with their aunt. Court records, however, document a trail of events leading up to the removal of children living with Jennifer Foxwell at the time following a visit from a Department of Social Services employee.

Child care issues
More than two years before Sarah Foxwell was abducted and killed, her mother was indicted on two counts of reckless endangerment, two counts of confining an unattended child and two counts of contributing to the delinquency of child, all on Oct. 22, 2007.

The charges were placed on the stet -- or inactive -- docket on March 18, 2008.

According to a police report obtained by The Daily Times, a Department of Social Services employee visited Foxwell's home at about 10 a.m. Aug. 1, 2007, after Foxwell missed a meeting at New Transitions, an organization that provides mental health services.

As the DSS employee walked by a parked van in the driveway on her way to the door, she saw Foxwell's 4-year-old child inside the vehicle.

The windows in the van were up. The doors were locked. At the time, the temperature was 82.9 degrees with 56 percent humidity, according to the employee's report.

The DSS employee knocked on the door twice before the mother of six answered the door. After Foxwell came the door and the DSS employee asked her about the child in the van, they both walked toward the vehicle.

As they got closer, they realized Foxwell's youngest child, who was 2 years old at the time, was also in the van.

She would later tell investigators she took medication earlier that morning and feel asleep while lying on the couch.

The father of the one of the children in the van, Adam Powell, who was then 31 years old, was asleep in the bedroom.

Foxwell went back inside the house to get the keys and let the children out.

DSS removed the children from the home and placed them with relatives while the incident was under investigation, according to the police report.

Seven days later, during an interview with detectives, Foxwell said she hadn't known the children were in the van.

Emergency custody complaint
A month before the visit from the DSS employee, Foxwell's maternal grandmother, Roberta Wechsler, filed an emergency complaint for custody of Foxwell and her siblings in Circuit Court on June 8, 2007.

Wechsler withdrew the petition June 29, and the judge dismissed the case.

The six-page complaint, filed by private attorney Lenora Mihavetz on behalf of Wechsler, identifies the grandmother as the plaintiff and Jennifer Foxwell, as well the children's fathers -- Adam Powell, Thomas Foxwell III and Steven McCune -- as defendants.

At the time the complaint was filed, Thomas Foxwell III was incarcerated in the Wicomico County Detention Center. He alleged in records at the time that he was "virtually absent from the minor children's life for the last 3 1/2 years."

Court records indicate Thomas Foxwell has been incarcerated multiple times on misdemeanor charges since 2005. On the day Sarah Foxwell was reported missing, he was in the Wicomico County Detention Center on $1,000 bond, but was later released. He was incarcerated on a theft charge, according to court records.

Unsubstantiated allegations
In the civil complaint for custody, the grandmother said she is seeking sole custody of the children because she feared the children would suffer "immediate substantial and irreparable harm" while in their mother's care.

The complaint alleges Jennifer Foxwell attempted suicide Dec. 15, 2006, in front of the four oldest children, and claims she had a long history of mental illness and suicide.

While her allegations are unsubstantiated but part of court documents, the grandmother also alleged Jennifer Foxwell used drugs, "is under the influence of alcohol the majority of the time" and kept the children from going to school.

The court document accuses Thomas Foxwell of abusing some or all of the minor children, and states that reports of the alleged sexual abuse resulted in an investigation by Child Protective Services of Wicomico County in 2004 through 2005. The alleged investigation determined "that sex abuse by Thomas D. Foxwell III was indicated."

Thomas Foxwell was has not been charged in connection with the sex abuse allegations, according to a search of the state's electronic databases.

sboykin@dmg.gannett.com

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #262 on: January 10, 2010, 05:25:48 PM »

GRRRRR....This makes me so sick...these poor little kids...
Sarah did not have a chance..no wonder her eyes looked so sad...bless her heart..

I still can not figure out why people keep having children that they don't want..why bother???? it is so unfair to these kids...and look at all the people who would love to have a child in their lives...so sad!!!

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #263 on: January 10, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »

Sarah did not have a chance..no wonder her eyes looked so sad...bless her heart..

I still can not figure out why people keep having children that they don't want..why bother???? it is so unfair to these kids...and look at all the people who would love to have a child in their lives...so sad!!!

yes it was only a matter of time for poor Sarah...how tragic.

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #264 on: January 10, 2010, 10:24:39 PM »

This just makes me sick....I knew when I saw Sarah's  picture there was more to the story her eyes looked as if she was begging for help

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #265 on: January 11, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »

Grand Jury Indicts Foxwell Kidnapping Suspect
Monday, January 11, 2010

A Wicomico County grand jury has indicted a Salisbury man for kidnapping, child abduction and first-degree burglary in the Sarah Foxwell case, according to WBOC-TV. 

Thomas James Leggs, Jr., 30, was indicted today.  He is accused of abducting 11-year-old Sarah Haley Foxwell from her Salisbury home last month.  Her body was found in a wooded area near the Delaware-Maryland line on Christmas day.  Her death is being investigated as a homicide. 

Leggs is a registered sex offender in Maryland and Delaware.  He is being held without bond in the Wicomico County Detention Center.

http://wbal.com/apps/news/templates/story.aspx?articleid=43437&zoneid=2
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:38:43 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #266 on: January 11, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »

Md. lawmakers, justices weigh predator terms   
Posted: 7:31 pm Mon, January 11, 2010
By Steve Lash

ANNAPOLIS — Horrified by the Christmas-week slaying of an 11-year-old Eastern Shore girl, state lawmakers are expected to consider legislation this term that would enable the state to confine convicted sex offenders to mental health facilities after their prison sentences end. And, while the Supreme Court has held that states may enact “civil confinement” legislation, ...

>>>>>>>>> pisses me off >>
Login required
If you would like to subscribe to The Daily Record online or Maryland Family Law Monthly, please click on the subscribe link below.
User Name/E-mail: 
Password: 

Subscribe

Forgot your password?

http://mddailyrecord.com/2010/01/11/md-lawmakers-justices-weigh-predator-terms/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2010, 12:38:04 AM »

NEW BLINK POST:

http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/01/12/blink-on-crime-exclusive/
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #268 on: February 09, 2010, 11:37:10 AM »

http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=11956793

Thomas Leggs Indicted for Sarah Foxwell's Murder

Updated: Feb 9, 2010 11:03 AM EST

SALISBURY, Md.- Wicomico County prosecutors announced Tuesday that Thomas Leggs Jr. has been indicted on murder charges in connection with the death of 11-year-old Sarah Haley Foxwell of Salisbury, whose body was found in a wooded area of the county on Christmas Day.

Wicomico County State's Attorney Davis Ruark said in a press conference that a grand jury met Monday and formally handed down an indictment of first-degree murder against Leggs, 30, of Salisbury.

Ruark said the state intends to seek the death penalty against Leggs, who is also a registered sex offender in Maryland and Delaware. Ruark said that because this is a death penalty case, Maryland law requires an automatic change of venue and the case will not be tried in Wicomico County. Ruark hopes the case will be tried on the Upper Shore.

Sarah was abducted from her home the night of Dec 22. Her body was found on Christmas Day near the Delaware-Maryland border after a massive search that included more than 3,000 volunteers. An autopsy ruled Sarah's death a homicide and found that she died of multiple injuries.

Leggs, who used to date Sarah's aunt, was initially charged with kidnapping and burglary in connection with the girl's disappearance. According to Ruark, the reason it took so long for prosecutors to charge Leggs with murder was because investigators had to compile and analyze evidence.

Leggs is being held without bond in the Wicomico County Detention Center.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #269 on: February 09, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »

Interview with Sarah's mother

http://www.wboc.com/global/Category.asp?c=174346&clipId=4527935&topVideoCatNo=109353&autoStart=true

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #270 on: February 09, 2010, 01:28:41 PM »

hmmmm...apparently the placement of the children where they were put was NOT the best place for them to be...otherwise Sarah would not have been in the company of a registered sex offender...
not judging the mom, I feel sorry for her...but I feel the most sorry for Sarah who had no say in where she would be living or with whom...I hope that mothers, women, who have children will take a bit more caution as to who they allow around their children...sorry if this sounds harsh or judgmental but it seems that women invite these pervs into their homes, in this case the aunts home who had custody of these kids,  and the children become the victims of these idiots...makes me really pissy cause this little girl's death could have been prevented imo...

I do agree with the mom that this idiot should have never been let out of jail...people should not have to worry about pervs coming into our homes or roaming our streets and taking our children! if he would have remained in jail, Sarah would be alive today!!!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #271 on: February 09, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »

Leggs opts for jury trial in Ocean City case
Man charged in Sarah Foxwell's kidnapping faces unrelated counts in Worcester court

February 9, 2010

OCEAN CITY -- The Salisbury man accused of kidnapping an 11-year-old girl found dead Christmas Day has chosen to face a jury later this year for a trial on unrelated charges.

A scheduled District Court hearing Monday for Thomas J. Leggs Jr., 30, was scratched because Leggs invoked his right to trial by jury. The charges -- a fourth-degree burglary charge and a count of malicious destruction of property -- will go to Worcester County Circuit Court for trial.

Leggs was arrested Sept. 11, 2009, for allegedly breaking into the Ocean City home of a 24-year-old woman. The two met at Pickles Pub in the resort a week earlier. According to documents filed in Ocean City Circuit Court, on the night of Sept. 2, the victim invited Leggs back to her home in the 900 block of Philadelphia Avenue. However, after Leggs "became too sexually forward," she asked him to leave.

Eight days later, Leggs ran into the woman again, this time at the Cork Bar on Wicomico Street. He apologized for his behavior the week before, and they shared a cab leaving the bar, according to court records. When the taxi arrived at the victim's home at about 1 a.m., Leggs got out of the car with her and asked if he could stay the night. The victim declined, went inside, locked the door and went to bed.

At about 4 a.m., she awoke and found Leggs standing next to her bed, shirtless and with his pants pulled down, according to court documents. She told him to leave and called the police.

A date has not been set for his case in Circuit Court.

In May, Leggs is set to face a Wicomico County jury for allegedly kidnapping Sarah Foxwell, an 11-year-old Salisbury girl whose badly burned remains were found in a rural area east of Delmar three days after she was reported missing. Prosecutors have said they expect to bring murder charges against Leggs later this month in Foxwell's death, but to date he has been charged only with her kidnapping.

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20100209/NEWS01/2090380/-1/newsfront2/Leggs-opts-for-jury-trial-in-Ocean-City-case

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #272 on: February 09, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »

JVM coverage tonight now on HLN

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #273 on: February 09, 2010, 07:14:09 PM »

JVM coverage tonight now on HLN

yep..watching it now...

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #274 on: March 07, 2010, 08:09:11 AM »

Mar 7, 2010 posted

Leggs indicted on murder charges – state to seek death penalty

The State of Maryland will seek the death penalty and life without parole for 30 year old Thomas Leggs of Salisbury – who has been in prison since his arrest in the kidnapping of 11 year old Sarah Foxwell of Salisbury, whose body was found on Christmas Day.   Leggs has been indicted on charges including first degree murder and kidnapping.  No trial date has been set.

http://www.wgmd.com/?p=795

labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #275 on: March 12, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »

All of these horrible cases are so difficult to read.  This sweet little girl, Sarah should have been protected.  She should have had a chance at a happy life.  What can we do to stop this?  I am so tired of reading stories of the horrible things that happens to these children.  If laws are made why can't they be followed?  Why don't we have enough money?  Why are the glamorous things in life more important than a child's life?  Why are actors/actresses and athletes paid so much, why can't some of that money be used for the states to ensure that there is enough money to keep these sick pedophiles locked up?  Why don't we ask more questions?  Why aren't more people held responsible?  The parents (they are the two that brought this child into the world)?  The caregiver (they signed off on taking care of this child)?  The caseworker?  Those that knew this evil man...did he break the law...was his address correct?  The judge that released him?  And so on...maybe, if we started holding one another accountable then we would all start paying more attention.  Maybe we would start asking more questions.  Maybe we would be more observant.  Since hanging is legal anymore...these people need to be locked up with no television, no cards, basic food (beans and rice), no weights, no visits or phone calls, no mail, they can sleep five to a cell...no windows, no sunlight...give them their basic needs.  They lost their rights to everything else.  Now, I am talking about pedophiles like this guy here...if the person has a proven mental illness then they still need to be locked away...but, they need to go to a state psych facility.  But, those that are evil...then why give them anything...they need to have a way to be able to release a kind of medication that will knock them out if they get out of hand.  I am so sad about this little girl...if I had known about her...I would have loved to taken her in and given her the life that she deserved to have. Sad

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #276 on: March 14, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »

All of these horrible cases are so difficult to read.  This sweet little girl, Sarah should have been protected.  She should have had a chance at a happy life.  What can we do to stop this?  I am so tired of reading stories of the horrible things that happens to these children.  If laws are made why can't they be followed?  Why don't we have enough money?  Why are the glamorous things in life more important than a child's life?  Why are actors/actresses and athletes paid so much, why can't some of that money be used for the states to ensure that there is enough money to keep these sick pedophiles locked up?  Why don't we ask more questions?  Why aren't more people held responsible?  The parents (they are the two that brought this child into the world)?  The caregiver (they signed off on taking care of this child)?  The caseworker?  Those that knew this evil man...did he break the law...was his address correct?  The judge that released him?  And so on...maybe, if we started holding one another accountable then we would all start paying more attention.  Maybe we would start asking more questions.  Maybe we would be more observant.  Since hanging is legal anymore...these people need to be locked up with no television, no cards, basic food (beans and rice), no weights, no visits or phone calls, no mail, they can sleep five to a cell...no windows, no sunlight...give them their basic needs.  They lost their rights to everything else.  Now, I am talking about pedophiles like this guy here...if the person has a proven mental illness then they still need to be locked away...but, they need to go to a state psych facility.  But, those that are evil...then why give them anything...they need to have a way to be able to release a kind of medication that will knock them out if they get out of hand.  I am so sad about this little girl...if I had known about her...I would have loved to taken her in and given her the life that she deserved to have. Sad

yeppers.....feeling your pain ...

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #277 on: March 20, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »

Md. lawmakers consider tougher laws prosecuting sex offenders
March 20, 2010 - 2:22pm

WASHINGTON - Maryland lawmakers will consider two dozen bills on Tuesday cracking down on sex offenders.
Law makers will discuss eliminating good time credits for the most serious sex offenders, which will lengthen prison sentences. In addition, another bill will require stricter provisions monitoring sex offenders.

People who commit any other crimes will now have to go before a judge and not a court commissioner before being released.

Maryland is considering the tougher laws in the wake of the kidnapping and murder of 11-year-old Sarah Foxwell.

Foxwell was taken from her Eastern Shore home and her body was found last Christmas Day. A registered sex offender in the state and in Delaware has been accused in the case.

Michael Busch, speaker of Maryland's of House of Delegates, said lawmakers from both parties support the bill.

"I was profoundly affected by what happened on the Eastern Shore and I don't want to ever see another family have to go through that again. I think this is one of the best packages of bills in the protection of families that we've ever passed," he said.

The bills still have to be discussed in the Maryland Senate.

Kate Ryan contributed to this report.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1916610

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #278 on: March 23, 2010, 07:24:44 AM »

FOXWELL MURDER: Trial date scheduled for murder suspect
Daily Times Staff Report • March 22, 2010

SALISBURY -- A trial date has been scheduled for a Salisbury man charged in the murder of an 11-year-old girl who was kidnapped and found dead on Christmas day.

A four-day Circuit Court trial for Thomas James Leggs Jr., 30, is scheduled to begin May 24.

Leggs was indicted on murder, burglary, kidnapping, sex offense charges after Sarah Haley Foxwell's badly burned body was found in a rural Delmar area.
http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20100322/NEWS01/100322034

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #279 on: March 23, 2010, 07:31:25 AM »

thanks for the update Nut...
this case makes me so angry! Sarah was a sweet little girl who should be looking forward to Easter and riding her bike and having fun....but instead look where she is....all because of some idiot who should have been in jail instead of preying on our children..
Keep these idiots in jail after they offend the first time...don't give them a second chance....

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.