April 19, 2024, 04:54:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low cal, low carb, low sugar...good tasting dishes!! AKA healthy eating  (Read 8608 times)
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« on: January 01, 2010, 07:45:31 PM »

I want to lose 10 lbs in the next 2 months...help me!!

Please post your GOOD TASTING low, cal, low carb, low sugar recipes!!

Red Beans and Rice
Mama knows best! This New Orleans-style one pot meal is hearty, tasty, and healthy!

T = tablespoon
t= teaspoon

INGREDIENTS
2 T canola oil (I spray a non stick w/Pam and use 1 T oil)
1 large onion, diced
1 yellow or red pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch green onions, sliced, green part reserved for garnish
1 lb. turkey smoked sausage
3 (15 oz) cans of kidney beans - I use the small kidney beans
1 ( 14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with basil and garlic
1/2 t red pepper flakes or more to taste...I do more
1 T oregano, dried flakes
1 t thyme, fresh or a pinch dried
1 bay leaf, whole
1 pinch salt
1 t black pepper
1 c brown rice
1 c water

DIRECTIONS
Slice sausage in half lengthwise and then in half again. Cut crosswise to dice. Heat oil in a large dutch oven or heavy saucepan. Once hot, add onions, diced pepper, garlic, and white parts of green onion. Cook until tender. Add sausage. Cook just until browned. Add spices, beans, and tomatoes. Stir to combine. Add rice, stir to combine and cook for 1 minute to coat the rice. Add water. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Cover and continue to cook for 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Finish with  sliced green onions and hot sauce on the side

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:48:07 AM »

OK...I guess I will do this all by myself!!  I found a great low carb pasta says this pasta lover!!

http://www.heartlandpasta.com/
tonight....pasta with shrimp and fresh asparagus.....olive oil, garlic, fresh cracked pepper

Rest in Peace Caylee

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »

Since my heart attack, I'm looking for healthy recipes as well, but low sodium is most important for me now, as well as low cholesterol.  I'd appreciate any ideas cause I'm a little picky.  I like veggies, but really only salad, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, corn and green beans.  I love any fruit salad and I do like chicken, but not fish. My bean tastes are limited to Northern beans (usually with ham) and  mexican style only.   So, I'm limited and need help.  Sunny,  I will begin posting as I find some healthy recipes as well.  This whole lifestyle change is making me crazy! 

Good luck!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »

Since my heart attack, I'm looking for healthy recipes as well, but low sodium is most important for me now, as well as low cholesterol.  I'd appreciate any ideas cause I'm a little picky.  I like veggies, but really only salad, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, corn and green beans.  I love any fruit salad and I do like chicken, but not fish. My bean tastes are limited to Northern beans (usually with ham) and  mexican style only.   So, I'm limited and need help.  Sunny,  I will begin posting as I find some healthy recipes as well.  This whole lifestyle change is making me crazy! 

Good luck!

Looks like healthy eating didn't make a big hit here on SM......but I am going to give it another try.....Dihannah......here is one we really like

Skillet white beans, spinach & tomatoes over Linguine

High in calcium and very yummy

INGREDIENTS
2 tsp olive oil
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2 cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano (do not drain)
1 can any white beans (I use Great Northern or Navy usually)
1 package fresh spinach
6 cups cooked linguine = whole wheat or low carb pasta
6 Tablespoons Romano or Parmesan cheese (grated)

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet.
2. In a separate pan start boiling water for linguine and get linguine cooked while you continue.
3. Add garlic, saute for a minute or so.
4. Add tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil.
5. Cover with spinach, top with lid, reduce heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
6. Spoon tomato/beans/spinach mixture over linguine and sprinkle with cheese.

I do a chiffonade of fresh basil to sprinkle on top

This makes 6 servings of 1 cup of pasta, 1 cup of sauce and 1 tablespoon of cheese.

Number of Servings: 6
Nutritional Info
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 318.7
Total Fat:    5g
      Dietary Fiber:    7.2mg
Protein:    13.4g

We serve it with a salad and bruschetta slices

Bruschetta

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

Slice the bread into 1-inch slices. If you're working with a large loaf, you'll then want to halve each slice again. (we use whole wheat bagettes from Panera's)

Brush one side of each slice with a clove of garlic and extra virgin olive oil. Place the slices oil-side down on a cooking sheet, and toast them in the oven until golden brown. NOTE: These can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container. Be sure to let cool completely before storing.

Rest in Peace Caylee

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »

I'm interested in this thread. I think it's a great idea!

I will have to investigate and bring some recipes back later.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 03:07:25 PM »

Good luck!

Looks like healthy eating didn't make a big hit here on SM......but I am going to give it another try.....Dihannah......here is one we really like

Skillet white beans, spinach & tomatoes over Linguine

High in calcium and very yummy

INGREDIENTS
2 tsp olive oil
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2 cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano (do not drain)
1 can any white beans (I use Great Northern or Navy usually)
1 package fresh spinach
6 cups cooked linguine = whole wheat or low carb pasta
6 Tablespoons Romano or Parmesan cheese (grated)

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet.
2. In a separate pan start boiling water for linguine and get linguine cooked while you continue.
3. Add garlic, saute for a minute or so.
4. Add tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil.
5. Cover with spinach, top with lid, reduce heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
6. Spoon tomato/beans/spinach mixture over linguine and sprinkle with cheese.

I do a chiffonade of fresh basil to sprinkle on top

This makes 6 servings of 1 cup of pasta, 1 cup of sauce and 1 tablespoon of cheese.

Number of Servings: 6
Nutritional Info
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 318.7
Total Fat:    5g
      Dietary Fiber:    7.2mg
Protein:    13.4g

We serve it with a salad and bruschetta slices

Bruschetta

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

Slice the bread into 1-inch slices. If you're working with a large loaf, you'll then want to halve each slice again. (we use whole wheat bagettes from Panera's)

Brush one side of each slice with a clove of garlic and extra virgin olive oil. Place the slices oil-side down on a cooking sheet, and toast them in the oven until golden brown. NOTE: These can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container. Be sure to let cool completely before storing.

This sounds yummy my daughter is vegetarian so I am always looking for something new and easy.

Thank you for posting this recipe.

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 03:51:44 PM »

this is our favorite recipe for brussle sprouts

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans (with or without Gorgonzola Cheese)
(Makes about 4 side-dish servings, recipe can easily be doubled.)

1 lb. fresh brussels sprouts
1/8 to 1/4 cup chopped pecans
2-3 tsp. olive oil, plus a bit more to brush the baking dish or roasting pan
salt to taste (I use sea salt)
fresh ground black pepper to taste
2 tsp. butter (optional, to toss the brussels sprouts, and only if not using the gorgonzola)
2-3 T crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (use more or less to taste, and skip the butter if using Gorgonzola)

Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Brush roasting pan or dish with a small amount of olive oil, using a pastry brush or paper towel. (I used pam spray instead.)

Trim ends of brussels sprouts if needed, then cut each lengthwise into fourths. Don't worry if some leaves fall off, because the loose ones will get a bit more crispy when they roast and add a lot of flavor. Chop pecans  measure out 1/4 cup or slightly less.

Put quartered brussels sprouts and chopped pecans into a plastic bowl, then toss with olive oil and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.  The original recipe called for 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper for 1 lb. brussels sprouts. I used sea salt and used a little less salt than that.)

Arrange brussels sprouts and pecans on roasting pan, making a single layer as much as you can. Roast for 30-35 minutes, or until the sprouts are tender and starting to brown on the edges. I stir several times so the brussels sprouts would get browned on all sides.

You can serve immediately without any butter if desired, or toss with butter or Gorgonzola Cheese before serving. Serve hot.

NOTE: I use gorganzola and no butter

Rest in Peace Caylee

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.