April 20, 2024, 07:55:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suspect in N.H. Machete Attack Regrets Girl Survived  (Read 5630 times)
Edward
Monkey Junky

« on: January 06, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »

MILFORD, N.H. —  One of the men charged with killing a woman in her bed told police his only regret was that he didn't also succeed in killing her 11-year-old daughter, who was sleeping in the same room, according to police documents released Tuesday.

Christopher Gribble told police after his arrest he had wanted to kill someone for a long time and was disappointed he didn't feel any emotion following the Oct. 4 killing of Kimberly Cates in her Mont Vernon home. Cates' daughter, 11-year-old Jaimie, was injured during the attack.

"Gribble stated his only regret was he didn't kill the child because she now had to live with this," the documents said. "Gribble stated that if he realized she was alive he would have killed her."

Five men, ages 18 to 20, were charged in connection with the early morning home invasion. Documents supporting the arrests of the four men accused of entering Cates' home were released Tuesday after a request from The Associated Press and other media outlets.

The judge had refused to release the documents earlier, saying to do so could have revealed the scope and direction of the state's investigation.

The killing stunned Mont Vernon, a rural town of about 2,000 residents near the Massachusetts border where the 42-year-old Cates worked as a nurse. A community group has been working on a strategy to help residents deal with the release of the court documents, with three public forums planned this month.

Gribble's account provides a graphic description of what happened after he and three others entered the Cates home and found Kimberly Cates in her bed. Jaimie Cates was sleeping in the same room, although it was unclear if they were sleeping in the same bed. Kimberly Cates' husband, David, was traveling.

Gribble, 20, told police he and longtime friend Steven Spader, 18, agreed they would break into the house and that if anyone was home "they would just kill the people in the home for fun," the documents said. They shut off the electricity and lit their way through the home with an iPod.

Gribble and Spader and two others — William Marks and Quinn Glover, both 18 and of Amherst — found their way to the master bedroom, where Cates woke up, asking "Jaimie, is that you?" Gribble told police.

Spader attacked Kimberly Cates with a machete, Gribble said. Jaimie then jumped over her mother and Gribble stabbed her in the face and in the chest, trying to puncture her heart to kill her, he said. He said he then threw her against a door and assumed she had died. She later told police she pretended to be dead.

After the attack, the four searched the house for valuables, Gribble told police. They removed their clothing and wiped the knives on a Burger King bag, the documents said.

When a police officer arrived at the house, he saw Jaimie bleeding profusely. She said, "They killed my mommy," the documents said. He carried her outside and went back in. He found Kimberly Cates lying on the bed, naked from the waist down with extreme trauma to her head, the documents said.

Gribble and Spader have been charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder and attempted murder.

A message left for Gribble's attorney, Donna Brown, was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Spader is accused of driving the group to Kimberly Cates' neighborhood and cutting her with a machete in the head, torso, arms and legs. Gribble is accused of stabbing her with a knife. Both are accused of attacking Jaimie, who was hospitalized for more than two weeks.

Spader denied any involvement in the attack when interviewed by police. He said he did not know who did it and "that whoever did it should get the death penalty," according to the affidavit.

Spader's attorney, Jonathan Cohen, declined to comment on the documents. "He's presumed innocent," Cohen said.

Marks and Glover are charged with burglary, conspiracy to commit burglary and robbery.

Marks admitted he took part in the burglary, according to the documents. Glover said he walked around houses on a dirt road in Mont Vernon that night, the documents said.

Glover's attorney, Peter Anderson, declined to comment. Marks' attorney, Andrew Gallagher, did not immediately return a message seeking comment Tuesday.

Prosecutors said the group picked the home at random and because it was on an isolated road, but all knew of the plan to kill whoever was home.

In November, a fifth man, 20-year-old Autumn Savoy of Hollis, was charged with coming up with the plan to toss clothing and other items from the crime scene into the Nashua River. He also was charged with telling police that Gribble and Spader spent the night at his home.

Savoy later agreed to show police where the items were thrown in the river. Police recovered two floating wooden jewelry boxes, sneakers and a partially submerged wallet with a military dog tag with David Cates' name, as well as clothing that belonged to Spader and Gribble, the documents said.

Prosecutors said Gribble and Spader came to Savoy's home after the attack, believing both mother and daughter were dead. The three men went on the Internet to search for news of the attack and discovered that Jaimie Cates had survived, prosecutors said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581997,00.html?test=latestnews

This is the second time in 2 weeks where I have read that somebody wanted to FEEL what it was like to kill somebody.
I hope they all FEEL what the electric chair FEELS LIKE.

Some of our youth have terrible mind problems..What are we going to do ?
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:36:53 AM »

Edward, I don't have a clue.  I wish I did.  How can we help prevent things we don't understand.  I don't understand this need to "feel" what it's like to kill someone.  I just don't.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:25:13 PM »

Coroner: NH woman alive for 32 machete, knife cuts

Thursday, November 4, 2010; 6:13 PM

NASHUA, N.H. -- A woman hacked to death with a machete and knife in her home was alive for all 32 slash and stab wounds that split open her skull, sliced through bones and pierced organs, a medical examiner testified Thursday.

Both sides in the murder trial of 18-year-old Steven Spader have rested. The defense called no witnesses, ending speculation Spader might take the stand.

Jurors will begin deliberating Monday, after final arguments. They heard from 45 witnesses during the nine-day trial.

Spader has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder and burglary and witness tampering. He was 17 years old when prosecutors say plotted the home invasion and rounded up the three other young men who accompanied him.

During the home invasion, 42-year-old Kimberly Cates was killed, and her daughter was severely injured.

Prosecutors said Thursday that Spader's own words on paper and to witnesses are enough to convict him.

In arguing against a defense motion to acquit Spader on all charges, prosecutor Jeffery Strelzin said Spader's letters to fellow inmate Chad Landry "are sufficient to prove every charge."

In those letters, which Spader described as "bedtime stories" to Landry, he detailed the many machete wounds he inflicted on Kimberly Cates, and what her body looked like afterward. Witnesses say he brought the machete down on 11-year-old Jaimie Cates, who survived.

Spader's description of Kimberly Cates' body to Landry closely matched the testimony of state deputy chief medical examiner Jennie Duval. Spader wrote that he could see brain and an eye hanging out of its socket.

Duval said she counted 32 wounds on Cates that were inflicted by at least two weapons. She said a machete could have made the long and deep cuts that cleaved bone and split Cates' skull. One slash to the left side of her face broke the bone around her left eye socket, Duval said.

Duval said Cates died from massive blood loss.

Strelzin stood over Spader and glared at him as he asked Duval if Cates was alive for every wound that was inflicted. She said she was.

Duval said one slash cut through Kimberly Cates' upper arm bone and another broke her jaw. She said Cates likely was trying to fend off the blows when her palm and forearm were slashed.

Co-defendant Christopher Gribble of Brookline, who prosecutors say used a knife to hack at the victims, is set to go on trial in February.

Now 12, Jaimie survived by pretending to be dead, then staggered, covered in blood, to a kitchen phone to call police. A doctor testified she would have died of a punctured lung if she had lost consciousness before summoning help.

She was on the state's list of witnesses but was not called to testify. She has not been seen at the courthouse throughout the trial.

Blows that cut off portions of Jaimie's left foot, split open her head and struck her face with enough force to break her jaw had to have come from a heavy and sharp weapon such as a machete, several doctors testified.

Document analyst Alan Robillard of Vineyard Haven, Mass., testified that the letters to Landry and song lyrics found in another inmate's cell were Spader's handwriting.

The song lyrics include the lines: "We went up in the room, Mommy is it you?, Mommy isn't here, I slit her throat from ear to ear."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/04/AR2010110403182.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:14:25 PM »

For the love of all that is good and holy . . .

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:36:46 PM »

I am reading this with my jaw dropped down to my chest..shaking my head in disbelief...unable to fathom such cruelty and pain inflicted onto another human being...I can not even wrap my head around this at all!
This mother and her daughter must have been so terrified. Can't even imagine what they went through..

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »

I am reading this with my jaw dropped down to my chest..shaking my head in disbelief...unable to fathom such cruelty and pain inflicted onto another human being...I can not even wrap my head around this at all!
This mother and her daughter must have been so terrified. Can't even imagine what they went through..

Cookie, I can't imagine how frightening it would be to play dead.
All this so someone could "feel" . . . and it didn't work either.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:25:36 PM »

Cookie, I can't imagine how frightening it would be to play dead.
All this so someone could "feel" . . . and it didn't work either.

this is just soooo horrendous..I don't even know what to say..these men really need to be hung in Times Square! jmo....or butchered themselves...
how can this little girl ever expect to have a normal life where she is not always afraid..?

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=13377965

NH hamlet braces for gory details in killing trial
"We're about to do the most evil thing this town has ever seen."

Murder defendant Steven Spader is said to have uttered those words as he and three other teens allegedly drove to a house they had targeted in this town of 2,000 to burglarize it and kill its occupants for the thrill of it.

During a hearing on a defense motion to limit the number of photographs depicting injuries to the victims, Spader stared intently at the pictures as defense attorney Andrew Winters shuffled through them, often cocking his head to get a better angle.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/917262-196/man-who-helped-killers-sentenced.html

Man who helped killers sentenced

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 05:30:35 PM »

Steven Spader

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2010/10/25/image6951121_370x278_370x278.jpg

Showing no remorse, Gribble describes gruesome slaying of N.H. mother
In words that sometimes rang with pride, Christopher Gribble today described how he murdered a New Hampshire woman and how he tried to end the life of an 11-year-old girl who attempted to save her mother by jumping in between her mother’s killers.
  Monsters!

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.