March 28, 2024, 07:18:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Imports & Terrorism - Why aren't we drilling in the US?  (Read 2371 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: January 09, 2010, 05:16:20 AM »

I've read for a long time about how much the US spends on oil imports and how oil imports promote terrorism.

Why aren't we drilling in the US?  Supporting other regional nations? 

Where does all the oil money go?  Does it support democracy?  Freedom for people in nations with high oil incomes?

The comment of this poster seem to match some of what I've read over the years about the problem, and ignore other aspects.

Anonymous

9 January 2010 - 6:34am / USA
I think you are missing part of the reality of Islamic extremism. It is not the radical Imans who are oppressing the people. On the whole, these Iman are taking advantage of the oppression that already exists. And Americans are going to have to come to terms with the fact that the US is partly responsible for many of the conditions in the Middle East that have led to the growth of radical Islam. Saudi Arabia is a prime example. I find it interesting that no one in the US is talking about Saudi Arabia. 19 of the 9-11 attackers came from there and it's no coincedence that the Saudi regime is likely the most oppressive in the entire region. Hundreds of billions of dollars in oil-revenue spill into that country each year. And while the extended Al Saud family carry on like the ultimate hedonists, a large number of Saudi's don't have even basic amenities like running water. And this is a regime the United States has propped up for many many years, all in the name of securing a steady supply of oil. So it's not a black and white issue. It's complicated. Of course the terrorists are not justified in blowing up innocent people and advocating the destruction of the West. But we have committed our own sins in their homelands. How many innocent civilians have we killed there. And now I am talking before 9-11, all the back the beginning of the 20th century. Again, I do not support terrorism, but if Americans and the West, if we are honest with ourselves and patient enough to study history then we are forced to admit that some of these are our own chickens coming home to roost. And I hear a lot of complaining about the situation from you and presley, but no ideas about what can be done to change the living conditions in the Middle East so that people will not be so desperate as to see blowing themselves up as a viable option. I say the West stop buying oil from the Saudis if they are unwilling to dramatically improve the the living conditions of ordinary citizens. Remember, from our perspective it is easy to voice how much we cannot relate to people willing to be so barbaric in their actions. But these are people like you and me. Had we been born under those conditions we may have turned out the same way.

http://www.rnw.nl/english/video/week-netherlands-10

A sharing the wealth problem?  I've also read the Saudi's have a massive welfare state for citizens.  Citizenship and thus welfare is harder to obtain compared to most other nations.

In the US, Wall Street makes billions in bonuses, and Main Street gets TRILLIONS in debt.

Do businesses that give away BILLIONS in interest really need access to 0% interest money, paid for by debt on taxpayers back?  Generation debt/theft?

Obama's green jobs don't seem to be doing anything for unemployment - just more excuses for spending.

How many good paying jobs would be created for Americans if we drilled in the US?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 05:25:50 AM »

Hiram

9 January 2010 - 2:43am / USA
"if you are part of the culture of enlightenment you refer to, then you should recognize that the only way stop terrorism, is to find a way to lift up the downtrodden peoples of the world and eliminate the causes of this radical behavior."...........Anonymous, there are hundreds of millions of down-trodden humans on this planet and they are not murdering thousands of humans around the planet like Islam has and is doing right now. No, it is not a war with Islam but Islam has declared a war on the West and all Muslims who support the West. { No, they are not animals per se but you couldn't tell it by the way they try to blow-up airlines and kill innocent humans. You are right when you stated "it is a war against the oppression and ignorance that corrupts minds and breeds terrorism." Islamic imams are oppressive and it is they who oppress their own people into a frenzy of hate. The down-trodden are not the ones murdering innocent humans. It is the religious fanatics who seek power over their followers. They are on a power trip and they will not quit until they are removed from the scene. presley

8 January 2010 - 10:47pm / US
First of all thank you Dutchman for stopping the underpants bomber on chrsimtas day....seems the Americans sitting NEXT to him didnt have the balls to do so!! Jumping out of his set 4 ROWS back is quite impressive and BTW, American papers didnt even cover that aspect of the story! As for imigration...I LOVE Gert Wilders....he just says what no one else will that the ignorance of Islam is breeding all over the world and will snuff out civilization with too many babies which WE the intelligent, Christian individuals have to support with ourt tax dollars. Beware...cultures of enlightenment will disappear right before your eyes...America is struggling with the "free rights" that Obama has granted these animals by allowing them to appear in civil court!!!! We need GERT!!!

http://www.rnw.nl/english/video/week-netherlands-10

These arguments remind me of the rise of the welfare state.

If we give them more money, they won't have to be pirates...

If we give them more money, they won't have to be terrorists...

If we give them more money, they won't be poor, they won't do drugs, and violence will decrease

Have expanding welfare programs ended poverty in the urban areas?  Have expanding welfare programs lessened drug use?  Encouraged the growth of jobs and opportunity?

It seems like the more a nation spends on welfare, the more people end up in poverty, the higher unemployment goes, and the more drug usage expands.

I believe that jobs, give people a purpose.  Self support, a reason to get up in the morning, a reason to exist.

If  people have no reason to exist, how do they occupy their day?  Find challenges?

Why isn't Obama encouraging job growth? 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.