April 25, 2024, 03:33:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is 'Pogonip Jane' - body found 1/21/94 Santa Cruz CA (identified)  (Read 10056 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: January 10, 2010, 05:35:01 PM »

Detectives search for leads in death, identity of 'Pogonip Jane' 16 years after her body was found

Posted: 01/10/2010 01:30:45 AM PST

ANTA CRUZ -- In the summer of 1993, someone bludgeoned a teenage girl to death and left her body in a shallow grave in the woods.

Hikers came across her body six months later, but in the 16 years since, no one has claimed the young woman authorities now call "Pogonip Jane," named for the Santa Cruz park where she was found.

Now, new advances in technology coupled with the diligent work of a coroner's unit volunteer give the case new hope, detectives say.

"The case has been bugging me. I really want to give someone's mom closure," said Santa Cruz police Sgt. Loran "Butch" Baker, one of the original officers on the case.

A petite white girl in her late teens, Pogonip Jane had cut her brown hair to a 3-inch chop and painted her fingernails pink. She had a tiny heart tattooed between her left thumb and index finger.

Jane probably had braces as a kid and had a few cavities, which a dentist filled with porcelain, a forensic anthropologist determined.

In the last six months of her life, she traveled the Central Coast between Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz, according to isotopic hair analysis done at the University of Texas.

But that's where Jane's story ends.

Someone used a metal object -- probably a pipe -- to crush her skull above her right eye. Her naked body was buried under a young tree in a slight ravine about 50 feet from a homeless campsite. At the time, police detectives said the grave looked like it had been a latrine for campers before Jane's body was concealed there.

A grisly discovery

Friends Lauri Duncan and Monika Maier set off for a hike in Pogonip on Jan. 29, 1994, "just kind of being led along the path," Duncan recalled. The friends had attended the Fungus Fair in Santa Cruz and were on the lookout for mushrooms.

As they followed a narrow footpath along a creek not far from UC Santa Cruz, Maier, who was in the lead, found Jane's skeletal remains in the middle of the trail.

Maier turned back and told her friend, "I think I found a body," Duncan said.

"Even though the body was mostly decomposed, it was all still visible," she said. "At that point -- all of a sudden -- it seemed dangerous. ... We just turned back at that point."

They hiked back to the trailhead looking for rangers, but found none. It was the era before cell phones, so they went home to call 911, then returned to the park to wait for police and the coroner, Duncan said.

"It was pretty upsetting," she said.

At a campsite nearby, police found Jane's clothing, a Bible, camping gear and trash. It wasn't clear if she had stayed there, but it seemed they had leads to pursue. Duncan, like many involved in the early stages of the case, thought Jane would be identified quickly.

Instead, Jane was reburied in an unmarked grave at Soquel Cemetery, where she remains today.

"It's just unbelievable" that it's never been resolved, Duncan said.

Someone must miss her

Nationwide, nearly 4,000 young women reported missing match Pogonip Jane's basic description, according to Christopher Smith, a lawyer and volunteer in the corner's unit at the Sheriff's Office.

Jane is not one of them.

Either no one reported her missing or Jane crossed paths with law enforcement at some point after the report but before her death, which would mean she was taken out of the state missing persons system.

"Our instinct is she went unreported -- probably because of drug use or other criminal activity -- by her family, who basically wanted nothing else to do with her," said Smith, who works to identify the 40-odd unclaimed remains, like Jane's, found in the county since the 1960s. "She's just too distinctive to not get picked up."

But there have been glitches along the way.

For more than a decade after Jane's death, investigators believed she was in her early 20s and combed through those missing person reports rather than the ones of teenage girls.

"In those days, they didn't have any way of accurately determining a person's age," Smith said, explaining the estimate is based on the formation of bones and teeth.

In 2009, a forensic anthropologist used cementum analysis -- a new scientific procedure where the tooth is cut and polished -- to count rings in one of Jane's teeth and calculate not only her age, but the time of year she died.

The results allowed detectives to change her estimated age to 17-19 years old and created new interest in an old lead, Smith said.

A young man came to the Sheriff's Office the year Jane was found and said he thought the remains might belong to his teenage sister, but his report wasn't pursued because his sister was too young for the age range investigators were looking at then, according to Smith. In the ensuing years, the brother's name and contact information was lost. All detectives remember is he worked at the now-defunct Baker's Square in Los Gatos. They're trying to locate old payroll records to track his name and find him, Smith said.

Always a possibility

With a better idea of Pogonip Jane's age and where she was in the months before she was killed, as well as an artist's model of what Jane's head and face may have looked like -- based on her bone structure and complete with hair and eyes -- investigators hope new leads will develop.

Sgt. Alan Burt, who leads the coroner's unit, handled the original case 16 years ago. Back then, he thought identifying her would be as simple as asking questions at the homeless shelter and being led to her locker or friends.

It wasn't, but he still has hope for the case.

"I think it's always worth it. I mean, we've gotten 1969 cases done," Burt said. "We're always going to work on those cases that have possibilities."

He theorized Jane was a troubled teen whose parents said "good riddance" when she ran away.

"Maybe somebody noticed that their girlfriend stopped coming to school," Burt said. "We might get lucky and somebody might say, Whatever happened to that girl?'"

Smith is working with the Social Security Administration to run a database search of girls with Jane's demographics to find those who never used their Social Security numbers. He would like to contact their parents to find out what happened to their daughters.

Smith thinks the list may include about 500 names. One could be Jane.

Detectives also have thoughts on who killed Jane, although no one has ever been arrested. They suspect a father-son duo who was in the area around the time she died, according to Smith. Police released little information about them, saying only the son has since died and the father moved to eastern Tennessee, where he is in poor health. Baker said they may interview the father again.

"Without knowing the story ... it's going to be a difficult case to prove," he said, though he added that identifying Jane could go a long way in bringing charges against her killer.

The Sheriff's Office also created a Facebook page for Pogonip Jane and a Web site dedicated to her will be launched soon, Smith said.

"She should not be unidentified," Smith said. "This young person has people out there."

Investigators asked anyone with information about Pogonip Jane's identity or her death to call Baker at 420-5825 or the coroner's unit at 454-2520.

http://**/ci_14160027
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 12:55:53 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:55:03 PM »

I'm hoping she can be identified. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »

New leads surface in 1994 case of girl found in shallow grave in Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Sentinel

Updated: 01/12/2010 11:37:26 AM PST

SANTA CRUZ — Investigators have new leads in the case of a young woman whose nude body was found in a shallow grave in the woods near Santa Cruz in 1994.

"Pogonip Jane" was featured in a front-page story in the Santa Cruz Sentinel on Sunday. Santa Cruz police Sgt. Loran "Butch" Baker said Monday that detectives and coroner's officials have received four tips about the woman's identity since the story appeared.

"It's encouraging," he said. "It's a lot more than I had before, and I've always wanted to solve this case." Authorities were unable to identify the young woman despite going through hundreds of missing persons cases.

The victim apparently died the summer of 1993. She was found about six months later. The evidence showed that the petite white girl with 3-inch cropped brown hair and pink fingernails had been killed by a blow to the skull above her right eye. She had spent time in Santa Barbara in the months before her death, hair analysis showed, and had been buried in the woods of Pogonip park about 50 feet from a homeless campsite. There, investigators found a Bible and some clothing, including black, medium-sized sweatpants with pockets and a pullover sweater with a beige horizontal floral design.

The young woman had a quarter-inch heart tattoo between her left thumb and index finger, police said.

After the story appeared, a local man called to say he recognized a new model of the woman and remembers seeing her partying with two men in the park. He recalls that the three seemed to disappear around the same time. He met with police Monday.

The man knew the first names of all three, Baker said, and police are looking into that lead.

Another lead appears more promising, he added.

That lead came from an anonymous person on the www.WeTip.com crime line who recognized the model as a 14-year-old Salinas middle school student who disappeared about that time, Baker said. The caller gave the woman's street address and a description of her home.

Both tips reported the girl's first name as Maria, Baker said.

Baker called the second lead promising in part because the tip included a reference to a Baker's Square restaurant. The chain restaurant was part of the investigation early on, Baker said, as a young man who worked there told authorities his teenage sister was missing.

Authorities initially felt the victim was older, however, and the man's contact information was lost.

Deputies recalled the restaurant was in Los Gatos, whereas the new tip places it in Salinas, Baker said, though he added that could be simple mistaken recollection.

Much of the early search focused on an older person, as technology at that time placed the victim's age at 19 to 24 years. New "cementum" analysis, a tooth examination method, estimates her age as 12 to 18, Baker said. And, when pressed, the forensic anthropologist estimated her age as 14 to 15, he said.
Another new lead regarded a girl from Boulder Creek who was in her late teens, but who appears to no longer be listed as a missing person, Baker said.

A fourth call was a duplicate, he said, a person who said to expect a call from the local man who reported seeing the 14-year-old girl smoking marijuana with men in the park.

"I didn't get four calls the whole three years I was working hard on that case," Baker said. "That is pretty encouraging to get four calls right out of the chute."

Early suspects included a father and son who were in the area at the time, but they were never arrested; police say the son has since died, while the father lives in Tennessee. He might be interviewed again, but is in poor health, detectives said.

Christopher Smith, a retired attorney and Coroner's Office volunteer who has been working on the case recently, said Monday that deputies are working with Santa Cruz police on leads.

"These tips are few and far between, so we will definitely follow up," he said. "We just don't get many out of the blue." Investigators have established a Facebook page for Pogonip Jane and will soon launch a Web site, Smith said.

The body was found by hikers Lauri Duncan and Monika Maier as they looked for mushrooms on Jan. 29, 1994. It was on a narrow footpath along a creek not far from UC Santa Cruz, Duncan said. The body was decomposed yet recognizable, she said.

The woman is now buried in an unmarked grave at Soquel Cemetery.

Investigators asked that those with information call Baker at 831-420-5825, the anonymous tip line at 831-420-5995 or the Coroner's Unit of the Sheriff's Office at 831-454-2520.
http://**/ci_14172064?nclick_check=1
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:13:50 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Mtnmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »

Pogonip Jane exhumed; detectives seek subpoena for Salinas school records after anonymous tip

SANTA CRUZ - The remains of a teenage girl found dead in a city park 16 years ago were exhumed last week and investigators working to identify the teen, known only as "Pogonip Jane" hope next time the girl's body is buried, her family will be there to say goodbye.

Pogonip Jane's remains and those of another Jane Doe were exhumed last week for further forensic testing and, in the case of the second body, DNA analysis that has never been done, according to Christopher Smith, a coroner's unit volunteer who works on cold cases.

The Jane Doe was an Asian woman in her 30s found in garbage bags dumped alongside Highway 17 north of Scotts Valley in October 1992. Broken bones in various states of healing showed the woman has been physically abused for years. Smith said the Sheriff's Office forensic anthropologist, Lauren Zephro, told him it was the worst case of abuse she'd ever come across.

The Highway 17 Jane Doe was buried in an unmarked grave in the Soquel Cemetery not far from Pogonip Jane, who was found near an abandoned homeless campsite in Pogonip, a city-owned open space on the outskirts of town. Officials do not believe the cases are related.

Media attention brought fresh leads in Pogonip Jane's case earlier this month after investigators announced new scientific tests revealed she was in her teens, not her mid-20s, when she died. Smith said their best estimate now is that she was 14½ years old.

Detectives are getting a subpoena for

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
student records at Washington Middle School in Salinas after an anonymous tipster said Pogonip Jane might have been a student there by the name of "Maria" or "Marie," Smith said.

"We have to go check," he said. "Any tip is better than no tip."

They are also working with the FBI to comb through old reports of kidnapped children, which are not entered into the missing persons system.

"We may be looking in the wrong haystack," Smith said.

Smith and others working the case have long thought someone would have reported Pogonip Jane missing, in part because she had good teeth.

"We know there's something wrong here," Smith said. "You don't spend a lot of money on braces, on cosmetic dentistry and sealants on a young person's teeth and then don't report them missing, so something has gone amiss in the system."

When investigators decided to exhume Pogonip Jane's remains last week, they also removed the body of the Jane Doe dumped on the side of the highway.

The petite woman had been dead no more than six months when she was found. The autopsy showed she probably weighed less than 100 pounds and was under 5 feet tall. She only had four teeth and no signs of past dental care.

Back in 1992, her DNA was never collected to be checked against the National Missing Persons Database or saved in the National Unidentified Persons Data System. Those steps are now begin taken, Smith said.

"With the new forensic advances, it's good to revisit these old cases," Smith said.

http://**/breaking-news/ci_14225463
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 12:53:33 PM »

Kori JoAnne Lamaster, (October 2, 1976 - January 1994), also known by the last name "Bowman" was a teenager who was found murdered in California in 1994. She was nicknamed as "Pogonip Jane." She was identified in 2013.
Name: Kori Joanne Lamaster
Missing from: Pacifica, California
Span: 19 years

https://www.ksbw.com/article/santa-cruz-police-figure-out-girls-name-20-years-after-her-murder/1298808

'Pogonip Jane' murder mystery solved by Santa Cruz police

snipped .....  Kori Joann Lamaster’s identity is now confirmed… but who killed her?

“Although Kori went missing in 1993, her family didn’t file a missing person report with the Pacifica Police Department until 2007,” Clark said.
snipped

Clark did not say why it took Kori’s family 14 years to report her missing. Her family declined to comment to KSBW.

No one has ever been arrested. But the SCPD kept the case open, and detectives have two long-term "persons of interest."

During the last few months of her life, Kori was traveling along California’s coast from Pacifica to Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara, a forensic hair analysis revealed.

“We identified a father and son who were witnessed to have traveled with Kori around the time of her death,” Clark said. The two men are Wayne White, and his son, Greg White.

Greg White has since died, but Wayne White is still alive and resides in Tennessee.

“We are looking for information from anyone who might have had contact with Kori as she traveled through the Santa Cruz area around 1993,” Clark said. “We are interested in talking with anyone who may have information about this father and son.”

Now that Kori’s photograph has been released to the public and published in the media, police have a shot at finding more witnesses and finding justice for Kori.

Today, Kori’s body remains buried in a grave at Soquel Cemetery. Her headstone is blank.
https://www.ksbw.com/article/pogonip-jane-murder-mystery-solved-by-santa-cruz-police/1053063

*****This is so sad and so obvious family member's know what happened. Pathetic.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 12:56:22 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 12:57:16 PM »

Identified, but murder unsolved.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.