November 19, 2017, 02:40:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rachel Cooke 19, Williamson Cty, TX-Last seen 1/10/02  (Read 12671 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

...and Injustice for most

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »

Thanks Muffy!!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 08:07:46 AM »

http://kxan.com/2017/09/28/officials-to-announce-reward-for-missing-rachel-cooke-case-information/
Officials to announce reward for Rachel Cooke case information
September 28, 2017

GEORGETOWN, Texas (KXAN) — Later Thursday morning, officials are set to announce a reward for information in a missing persons case from 15 years ago in Georgetown.

Rachel Cooke disappeared while on a morning run in January 2002. A neighbor saw her walk past her driveway during her cool down. Cooke was 19 years old at the time.

Representatives from the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office, the FBI and the Texas Rangers are holding a press conference at 11 a.m. in the area where she was last seen. It is not known how much of a reward they will be offering.

Back in June of this year, authorities excavated an area in Liberty hill after they received a tip in the case. Ultimately, they did not find any evidence.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »

http://kxan.com/2017/09/28/officials-to-announce-reward-for-missing-rachel-cooke-case-information/
Up to $100,000 reward offered for information in Rachel Cooke case
September 28, 2017

GEORGETOWN, Texas (KXAN) — Officials announced they will offer up to $50,000 for information in a missing persons case from 15 years ago in Georgetown.

Rachel Cooke disappeared while on a morning run in January 2002. Her family is also offering a $50,000 reward, for a total reward of up to $100,000.

Representatives from the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office, the FBI and the Texas Rangers are holding a press conference at 11 a.m. in the area where she was last seen.

“I vow to utilize all the resources available and partnerships with my fellow law enforcement agencies to bring Rachel home,” said Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody. “We can only achieve this with your help. This is my promise and my plea.”

Anyone with information can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225-5324) or submit tips online.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/crime--law/officials-renew-push-find-clues-rachel-cooke-2002-disappearance/pLndFtvf1Xo8PR9mMGMfAN/
Officials renew push to find clues to Rachel Cooke’s 2002 disappearance
September 28, 2017

GEORGETOWN —
When Robert Chody became Williamson County’s new sheriff in January, he promised to devote new energy into trying to solve a dozen cold cases, including the disappearance of Rachel Cooke, a 19-year-old who vanished after going for a run while home from college in January 2002.

On Thursday, surrounded by federal, state and local law enforcement officers who were combing a wooded area with metal detectors, Chody announced a new $50,000 reward for information about what happened to Cooke in a case that has long frustrated investigators.
He stood next to Cooke’s mother, Janet, and both delivered impassioned appeals for any clue that would help solve one of the region’s biggest mysteries.

“It’s time,” Cooke said through tears. “Rachel’s little sister deserves to have closure. I deserve to have closure. Let us put an end to this. Let’s bring Rachel home, please. … I want my baby home.”

With Thursday’s additional money, the total reward being offered is $100,000 because it includes the $50,000 reward Cooke’s mother is already offering, Chody said.

Cooke was last seen walking toward her residence from approximately 200 yards away and was wearing a gray running outfit, a green sports bra, ASICS running shoes and a yellow Walkman with sports-style headphones.

FBI officials were searching with metal detectors Thursday in the area where Cooke disappeared. “We are looking for evidence because Rachel was known to wear earrings and have jewelry,” Chody said.

He declined to comment further on the investigation, saying it might hinder the work of investigators.
Chody said he approached the FBI for the Cooke case.

“He filled us in and we felt we could come to the table and be helpful,” John Scata, the FBI assistant special agent in charge in the Austin area, said at the news conference. The FBI was involved with the investigation when Cooke first disappeared, Chody said.

He also read a statement at the news conference from Beth Holloway, the mother of Natalie Holloway, an 18-year-old from Alabama who has been missing since 2005 from the Caribbean island of Aruba, where she was on vacation.

“I stand with this town and this family,” the statement said. “With the help of this community, justice will prevail.”

Cooke’s disappearance initially drew national attention. In 2004, the sheriff’s office put together a team of 10 investigators who spent 1,000 hours interviewing people.

In 2006 convicted murderer Michael Keith Moore made a false confession that he had killed Cooke with a hammer, raped her and dumped her in the Gulf of Mexico near Matagorda Bay. Moore was expected to plea guilty, but he backed out of the deal. A search by divers of the area where Moore claimed to have left her body failed to turn up any evidence.

Robert Cooke had a billboard erected about her disappearance in 2008 on Interstate 35 in North Austin.

Efforts to find her continued in 2014, when material from a car related to the case was tested but the material yielded no new information. The sheriff’s office also got a tip in June that there might be possible human remains connected to Rachel Cooke near the San Gabriel River in Liberty Hill, but diggers found nothing.

Anyone with information about Cooke is asked to call 1-800-CALLFBI (1-800-225-5324) or text tips to fbi.gov or contact their local FBI office or the nearest American embassy or consulate.

“We truly believe there is someone out there who has information about Rachel,” Chody said. “If she is no longer alive, her family deserves closure. Give them the opportunity to say goodbye. Give her a proper burial and allow Rachel to rest in peace.”

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 11:41:44 PM »

Thanks for keeping us posted on Rachel's case, MuffyBee.   

Praying for peace for this family.   an angelic monkey

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/williamson-county/wilco-officials-expected-to-announce-new-reward-for-15-year-old-cold-case/479265006

If you have information regarding Rachel Cooke's location, you are asked to call 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225-5324) or submit a tip online at tips.fbi.gov.

"The fact is someone out there knows something, and it's time. Rachel's little sister deserves to have closure. I deserve to have closure. I don't care what it is you think you know. Call it in. Let us put an end to this. Let's bring Rachel home. Please," said Janet Cooke.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »

Thanks for keeping us posted on Rachel's case, MuffyBee.   

Praying for peace for this family.   an angelic monkey

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/williamson-county/wilco-officials-expected-to-announce-new-reward-for-15-year-old-cold-case/479265006

If you have information regarding Rachel Cooke's location, you are asked to call 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225-5324) or submit a tip online at tips.fbi.gov.

"The fact is someone out there knows something, and it's time. Rachel's little sister deserves to have closure. I deserve to have closure. I don't care what it is you think you know. Call it in. Let us put an end to this. Let's bring Rachel home. Please," said Janet Cooke.

It's been so long since the day Rachel disappeared.  Her Dad passed away and never got to see her brought home.  I hope she will be found soon, texasmom. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »

http://kxan.com/2017/09/29/investigator-says-sheriffs-office-made-crucial-mistakes-in-rachel-cooke-case/
Investigator says sheriff’s office made crucial mistakes in Rachel Cooke case
September 29, 2017

WILLIAMSON COUNTY, Texas (KXAN) — The FBI is awaiting tips, after they increased reward money this week to $100,000 for information leading to Rachel Cooke.

A former lieutenant who worked the missing person case during his time with the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office hopes the money will help. But he said the sheriff’s office made crucial mistakes when Cooke first disappeared.

“There was no reason to think she was a runaway, she had no history of it,” John Foster said.

But that’s exactly what the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office said Rachel Cooke was, the day her family reported her missing in 2002.
Foster points to then-Sheriff John Maspero.

“Sheriff Maspero was hopeful she would just turn up.”

It was days later, after the Cookes started their own search, Foster says, that detectives started treating Cooke’s disappearance as a missing person case. By then, Foster says, the investigation was tainted.

“You look at the people closest to Rachel immediately, not days later, the Cookes should’ve been immediately interviewed.”

Foster says he made that suggestion to his supervisor when he was still a deputy, the night he responded to the Cookes home to take the missing person report.

“I was told that that was not going to happen, and that was per the sheriff that we were not to question the Cookes.”

Foster believes it’s because the sheriff and the Cookes knew each other. “It’s investigation 101, rule in or rule out people that are close to the victim.”

Had detectives followed protocol from day one, Foster believes there’s a greater chance the Cooke family would have closure by now.

“In any investigation, when you put your bad foot forward, it is usually haunting for the duration of the investigation.”

The Williamson County Sheriff’s Office does not currently have a policy stating they must wait a certain amount of time before they consider a person missing. Foster says that wasn’t a rule when he was in the office either.

Foster resigned from the sheriff’s office in 2014.

Others involved with the search for Cooke have shared Foster’s concerns about the investigation.

In 2011, KXAN interviewed  Equusearch founder Tim Miller, who also blamed Maspero, saying the sheriff botched the case.

“I think Maspero from the very beginning dropped the ball,” Miller said, suggesting the sheriff was too quick to dismiss Cooke as a runaway or a college girl who was looking to party.

Equusearch is one of the nation’s leading missing-persons organizations, and was brought in to assist state and local law enforcement agencies with the Cooke case.

“I think some mistakes were made early on with law enforcement without taking a missing person’s report as early as they did,” Miller said in a 2011 interview with KXAN. “The sheriff made a huge, huge mistake.”

Maspero told KXAN in a 2011 telephone interview that Miller’s assertions were unfounded.

“I brought in the finest people I could think of — the Rangers, FBI, APD,” Maspero said. “We went beyond the scope of what was called for, and I’m disappointed Rachel’s case is still unsolved.”

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.