March 28, 2024, 11:47:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 13 mo Ohio Aidan Truett Dies After Swallowing Watch Battery  (Read 2854 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: January 14, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Baby-dies-after-swallowing-watch-battery/SceH7BGAtEuDDWQ1nLMnPw.cspxMichelle Hopkins of WLWT for NBC News Channel:
(Video also available in article)
HAMILTON, OHIO -- An Ohio family is mourning for a lost son and hope their story will help keep other children safe.

At 13 months old, Aidan Truett was like any toddler. He was immensely curious about the world around him, and he stuck most anything he encountered into his mouth. (NBC News Channel)

At 13 months old, Aidan Truett was like any toddler. He was immensely curious about the world around him, and he stuck most anything he encountered into his mouth.

Aidan's parents knew something was wrong when their son began having trouble eating, and they soon learned it was because he'd swallowed a battery the size of a dime.

"I feel empty - there is a hole that will never close up, he was my baby and he was precious," said Michelle Truett. "I never would have thought in a million years that a battery could have been so deadly."

So-called button batteries are used in numerous household items, including watches, DVD remotes and musical greeting cards.

"It's not just the acid - it's the current passing through the tissues," said Lonnie Truett.

The combination caused severe bleeding that eventually led to the boy's death.

"I did CPR, I did my best, but he was going very quick," Michelle Truett said.

The Truetts keep their son's cremated remains nearby; Michelle wears a heart with some while Lonnie wears a cross.

"We go on vacation, we go to the store and he's right here with us," Michelle Truett said.

They hope their experience will serve as a lesson for other parents.

"We just want other parents to know the dangers and if they have these get rid of them - they're not worth your child's life," Lonnie Truett said.

The Truetts recommended writing down the battery size instead of
saving one to match at the store.

They also want manufacturers to consider placing a protective coating on the batteries in case a child places them in their mouth.

Rest in Peace, baby Aidan  an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.