April 19, 2024, 07:38:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mother charged with murder in 2003 'Beloved Doe' case  (Read 3306 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: January 13, 2010, 04:55:14 PM »

Mother charged with murder in 2003 'Beloved Doe' case
Police say mother left starved boy's body in trash

April 25, 2008, 6:45AM
The forensic sketches — the scars on the dead boy's body, in particular — were just too familiar for José Martinez Sr.

They were images broadcast Tuesday night on a Spanish-language television show that featured the death of a 5-year-old boy whose emaciated body was discarded in a southeast Houston trash bin five years ago. The little boy known as "Beloved Doe."

The boy in the sketch, he believed, was his son. He later learned that he was right.

Authorities identified the boy as José Bernardo Martinez and on Thursday filed criminal charges against the boy's mother.

"I saw the sketch, and I recognized his markings," said the boy's father, José Martinez Sr. of Houston. "I know the markings on his body. Then I saw the sketch on the TV show. After talking to family members, they agreed that it was him."

The child's mother, Ma Dana Martinez, 30, of the 8300 block of Fountain, is charged with felony murder, accused of failing to provide adequate nutrition and hydration to her son, who was blind.

The steel yard worker, also known as Maria Dana Martinez, was booked into the Harris County Jail overnight and has been ordered held without bail until a court hearing Monday. She has three other children, all found to be in good condition, police said.

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement ordered that he Mexican citizen be detained, since she is in this country illegally.

The boy's father said he was at a loss to explain his former wife's alleged actions.

"I really don't know how it happened. I just don't have a good understanding — just that she dumped him," the father said. "I just don't know her motivation. I was here for him, his family was here for him — we could have helped him, if she would have let us. She didn't want help. There was nothing we could do to try to help."

He said he had not had seen their son in eight years, noting his former wife kept them apart.

Police said the woman had repeatedly lied to the boy's father, telling other family members the boy was in a hospital and claiming that she was the only person authorized to see him.

"She would tell me José was fine and not to worry about anything," said José Martinez Sr. "But she always said I couldn't see him for whatever reasons."

Only wearing a diaper

A maintenance man found the tiny boy dead in a trash bin at the Willow Creek Apartments at 7575 Office City Drive on the rainy morning of March 13, 2003.

Clad only in a diaper, the boy weighed between 18 and 28 pounds at the time of his death. He was wrapped in an Afghan-style blanket and stuffed inside a woven bag.

An autopsy revealed he died from starvation and dehydration.

Despite Houston police's frequent appeals to the public, the boy's identity remained a mystery until his father caught the end of a story about the case on Univision's Aquí Y Ahora newsmagazine program.

Other members of the Martinez family also saw the internationally broadcast program and called authorities.

With Crime Stoppers' help, HPD homicide investigators reached the boy's father, who watched a rebroadcast of the same show hours later and confirmed the boy was his son, said Houston Police Department homicide investigator Rick Moreno.

The boy's mother appeared surprised and nervous when Houston police first approached her 5 p.m. Wednesday, Moreno said. She agreed to go voluntarily to HPD headquarters to give a statement.

Ma Dana Martinez is being charged with felony murder in the death of her 5-year-old son....

"She ultimately gave a partial confession on her role in this crime," Moreno said.

Police would not elaborate on the mother's statement, but say they think she told them only part of the story.

"It appeared this child was singled out due to some type of illness and was allowed to die," Moreno said.

Despite the arrest in the case, investigators are still gathering information about the little boy.

"What we have right now is not a full picture," said FBI Special Agent Shauna Dunlap.

More details sought

For instance, investigators don't yet know specifically what illnesses or ailments the boy suffered. They have not yet obtained his medical records, which they hope will reveal more details.

The child — born Oct. 14, 1997 — was sickly and had lost his eyesight years ago while still living in Mexico, his father said.

He had two vertical scars on his abdomen and a surgical scar on the right side of his neck. The boy's mother confirmed one of the abdominal scars was from a feeding tube.

Child Protective Services could not locate any records to indicate they had investigated the family. The family never lived at the apartment complex where the boy's body was dumped, Moreno said.

Known as 'Maria'

The boy's mother and the man she now calls her husband moved with the surviving children into a house in the Sunnyside neighborhood almost three years ago, said Rich Pennie, whose grandmother lives next door to the family.

Pennie knew the accused woman as "Maria" and said he sometimes shared meals with her family. She and her current husband often quarreled, and it was clear she was the more controlling, Pennie said.

"She was a tough, strict woman," Pennie said.

Officers who had pursued the boy's identity for years never gave up, even though cases of other slain children who were discarded drew far more media attention.

"My baby has a name, too," Moreno said last fall, shortly after another slain child, 2-year-old Riley Ann Sawyers, was found in Galveston Bay and identified. "He's buried under a pauper's burial handled by the county, and I think my kid needs his little headstone updated also."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/5727492.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »

Post mortem photo at link
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=31443

UNIDENTIFIED DECEASED CHILD
HOUSTON, TEXAS
MARCH 13, 2003

DESCRIPTION
Hair: Brown
Sex: Male
Eyes: Brown
Height: 2'5" to 2'6"
Race: White, possibly Hispanic
Weight: 18 to 28 pounds
Complexion: Unknown
Remarks: The child had a surgical scar on the right side of his neck, two vertical scars on his abdomen, and a small mole on his right forearm. He had extremely bushy eyebrows and long eyelashes. His right ear is larger than his left ear.

THE DETAILS SURROUNDING THE CRIME

An unidentified male child, nicknamed Beloved Doe, was discovered on March 13, 2003, in a dumpster belonging to an apartment complex in Houston, Texas. The child had been wrapped in a gray afghan-style blanket and placed in a red and white checkered bag (pictured below). He was wearing a diaper with a design of bears on the front.

A medical examination on the body indicates the child died of starvation. Aside from acute malnutrition, no other signs of abuse or injuries were found. The child may have received prior medical treatment at a hospital.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »

I can't find an update on her court status, etc.

She was denied bail on 4/30/08
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5741188.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Fmetro+%28chron.com+-+Houston+%26+Texas%29
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:07:31 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:09:23 PM »

From link above.......

Slain boy's mother denied bail in 'Beloved Doe' case
Judge rules after learning woman had tried to flee

April 30, 2008, 12:02AM

A Houston woman accused of starving her 5-year-old son and discarding his body in a trash bin five years ago was trying to flee before police arrested her last week, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Maria Dana Martinez, 30, will remain jailed without bail as she awaits trial on a charge of felony murder, a judge decided.

State District Judge Jim Wallace denied bail after hearing the report that she had planned to flee and learning she is a Mexican citizen who is in this country illegally.
Martinez showed no emotion and listened quietly as a translator whispered in her ear during the brief probable cause hearing.

Her son remained unidentified for five years until Houston police and the FBI arrested her last week, hours after the Spanish-language network Univision aired a story about the case on its international news program, Aquí Y Ahora.

The boy's father, who broke up with Martinez years ago and had not seen his son in eight years, contacted authorities after seeing the TV program and identified the child as José Bernardo Martinez.

The child, who was blind, died of starvation and dehydration, an autopsy revealed. He weighed between 18 and 28 pounds at the time of his death.

A maintenance man found his body, clad only in a diaper, tossed in a trash bin at the Willow Creek Apartments at 7575 Office City Drive on the rainy morning of March 13, 2003.

During his long period of anonymity, the child was known as "Beloved Doe" and was buried in a pauper's grave.

When investigators tracked down the boy's mother last week, she admitted having care and custody of the boy when he died, prosecutor Connie Spence told the judge.

Martinez also admitted to authorities that she then placed the child's body in a bag and tossed it in a trash bin, Spence said. The mother did not tell anyone the child had died and lied to her family about his whereabouts, Spence said.

Wallace found probable cause to refer the case to a grand jury for review.

Martinez's attorney, Rick González, declined to comment, saying he had just been appointed to represent her.

Martinez's five surviving children — ages 13, 11, 8, 6 and 3 — all appeared to be in fine condition, police said. Since Martinez's arrest, they have been cared for by her sister, who also lives in Houston. Child Protective Services caseworkers hope to meet with the family today.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.