April 26, 2024, 09:34:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bellydancing Anyone?  (Read 7428 times)
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: January 02, 2007, 03:26:38 PM »

A place that teaches bellydancing just opened up not too far from my house, and I was considering taking lessons as a form of exercise.

Has anyone ever done that? If so, can you tell me how difficult it is?

TY

I Stand With The Girl
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:50:02 PM »

Quote from: "BTgirl"
A place that teaches bellydancing just opened up not too far from my house, and I was considering taking lessons as a form of exercise.

TY

It depends on the size of your belly Laughing .

Just kidding BT.  I have heard it is good exercise.
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:16:57 PM »

Quote from: "San"
Quote from: "BTgirl"

TY

It depends on the size of your belly Laughing .

Just kidding BT.  I have heard it is good exercise.

LOL, San. I've been reading on the internet, and it says that it makes the back stronger and more flexible, which I need.

I just hope if I decide to do it that we don't have to give recitals.  Razz  Laughing

I Stand With The Girl
Bobo2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 05:25:59 PM »

Oh my, this brings back memories.

I used to belly dance many years ago.  My teacher danced at birthday parties, etc.  She had a few of us who were really into it, so we formed a little amateur group that danced at parades and festivals.  I had lots of fun making costumes, and learned to use zils (finger cymbals).

It was easy, but I was young.  Very Happy   I developed some killer abs.  If it really helps your back I just may try it again.
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 05:34:10 PM »

BTgirl

a dear friend of mine takes bellydancing classes.  she looks great and says she feels 1000 % better than she did 6 months ago.  She had been in an accident and hurt her back and shoulder.

She said it definately helped the stiffness and pain she had.  And it helped the flexibility problems too.  

Take it slow and easy when you first start out & Have fun.

Maine, born and raised!
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 05:37:02 PM »

This is a pretty good article about the health benefits of bellydancing.

http://www.ketisharif.com/healthbenefitscourse.html

I'm just wondering how I could break it to people I know that I've taken up bellydancing.  Shocked  Laughing

I Stand With The Girl
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 06:44:29 PM »

GENTLY and without your costume  Laughing

I continue to stand with the girl.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 06:51:12 PM »

Laughing  Laughing
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 08:06:38 PM »

Laughing  Laughing

Back in my later 20s a few of us married girls & a couple singles decided we wanted to take a dance class.  Some of us had already taken a ballet exercise class at a local dance studio, which was great.  The stretching exercises on the floor and using the bar were tough but worth it.  WELL, we all signed up at a local High School adult night course for belly dancing.  

BT, do not bring any friends!!!  All we did is laugh at each other, and sad to say we did not finish the course...never got to costume performances!!  The moves are a workout, for sure.  Truthfully, cannot remember what hurt most....we just got too hysterical when trying to coordinate the moves, watching the instructor and each other...sad but tru.

Following that, a few of us did many years, non-stop Nancy Sorrensen (I think that was her name & business name) aerobic dance.   Loved that....and really got in great shape...closest to buff I had ever been in my life...felt good, looked good...great abs...BUT, sons started having their activities after 3 years and it got harder for me to make the times at the designated locations....thus, that ended and all that work soon went...well you know, south and then some...nothing personal intended here... Very Happy

BT, I'm sure if you really want to try it....Go for it.  I'm sure you'll do well, and Mr. BT might be brushing his teeth earlier, expecting to catch some practice sessions before monkey bunkey time.  Whewhoo...

I should be exercising daily, but find that the ambition comes in dribs & drabs.  I still occasionally do some of the exercises from aerobic dance & ballet.  (No, I'm not in shape.....but I was at one time Embarassed )

Let me guess what your next sock monkey will be up to???/

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 08:24:19 PM »

As a regular for a long time at local Honky Tonks a belly dancer for a birthday was almost a nightly event. Professionals were great and I thoroughly enjoyed the events. Not just strippers, but real belly dancers.

Heck, once when I was a bit of an executive type for Pizza Hut corp, I remember a belly dancer doing a bit at a company sponsered activity.

Now every lady I've ever known who admitted learning or practicing belly dancing was enough overweight that I don't think I woulda enjoyed watching the event. Something about a 'Jolly old elf with a belly that shook like a bowl full of jelly' comes to mind.
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 08:30:22 PM »

Quote from: "Carnut"
As a regular for a long time at local Honky Tonks a belly dancer for a birthday was almost a nightly event. Professionals were great and I thoroughly enjoyed the events. Not just strippers, but real belly dancers.

Heck, once when I was a bit of an executive type for Pizza Hut corp, I remember a belly dancer doing a bit at a company sponsered activity.

Now every lady I've ever known who admitted learning or practicing belly dancing was enough overweight that I don't think I woulda enjoyed watching the event. Something about a 'Jolly old elf with a belly that shook like a bowl full of jelly' comes to mind.

LOL, Carnut. That certainly brings an interesting picture to mind. I can stand to lose a few pounds and tone up a bit, but I promise that I don't have enough belly to shake like a bowl full of jelly.  Razz

I Stand With The Girl
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 08:47:06 PM »

Carnut, your imagination has some truth to it, for I have seen some who exercise to lose weight in those classes I attended, but they never lost a lb.  I, personally, am not overweight, nor was I when I made my attempt...we just weren't focused, I guess.

I'm like BT...no bowl full of jelly...except I'm 5'9", slim but need a little toning up.  

Ya, know, I've seen some pretty questionable sights at resorts while on vacation, in the past....Nothing more eye catching than a senior male in a speedo at the pool....not to mention younger wide-bellied young men in same....plus size women in bikinis or sans bikini......we're just body conscious and self-conscious....some will and some would die first before donning certain attire...to each his/her own.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 08:57:36 PM »

Quote from: "2NJSons_Mom"
Carnut, your imagination has some truth to it, for I have seen some who exercise to lose weight in those classes I attended, but they never lost a lb.  I, personally, am not overweight, nor was I when I made my attempt...we just weren't focused, I guess.

I'm like BT...no bowl full of jelly...except I'm 5'9", slim but need a little toning up.  

Ya, know, I've seen some pretty questionable sights at resorts while on vacation, in the past....Nothing more eye catching than a senior male in a speedo at the pool....not to mention younger wide-bellied young men in same....plus size women in bikinis or sans bikini......we're just body conscious and self-conscious....some will and some would die first before donning certain attire...to each his/her own.

Oh gee, 5'9" and slim, my dream girl.

Humm, I've never donned a speedo. Guess I'm a bit more self-conscious than most. Had a neighbor that wore one almost continously around the neighborhood. To each his own I guess.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 09:16:44 PM »

Hi BT,

I've always thought belly dancing must be extremely difficult to do. I'm just fascinated by those undulating bellies.

A few years ago when I used to frequent the Third Street Promenade to listen to street musicians, I was sitting on a bench with an old lady. She had moderate Alzheimers. She wore a beautiful pouch on a necklace that contained her name, address, house keys and the phone number of her daughter. So we started to talk. She told me how she worked in factories during WWII and after it was over, she went to live with her daughter. The daughter wanted her to take some kind educational course that would enrich her life. She said I want to learn belly dancing. The daughter said ok and paid for the lessons. I said, "You're kidding me, you really know how to belly dance?" She said yep and right there and then on the Promenade, while the Argentine rumba flamenco group Los Pinguos were playing, she got up and belly danced. At first people laughed at her. But then as they noticed her skill, they were awestruck. Everyone applauded. I never saw her there again. But she gave me one hint: to belly dance, you have to learn to move your hips in a figure eight. That's the basic move. Then it can be embellished.

I went home and tried to move my hips in a figure eight in front of mirror. It was not easy and I've never mastered it.

I wish you the very best, BT. I think you'll be successful. And Simon will really be entranced.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 09:22:07 PM »

Real Belly dancing has a lot in common with Hula dancing, both involve more hip moves than one realizes, while the hands and arms do a bit of a story line.

The hip movement in Hula is quite a bit faster than in Belly dancing where the hips move in slower but more prominent moves.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 09:31:28 PM »

Louise, what a wonderful story...you have met so many fascinating people....thanks...and you are correct, it is not easy, and the figure 8 gyration was what my friends & I had trouble with....it's hard coordinate the hands & keep that moving...guess it's like riding a bike or driving stick...once you get it...you're okay.  We just laughed too much...it distracted the serious students.

Carnut, you seem to have studied the art...one way or another....observation is a great learning tool.  The hips say it all and I agree about the Hula vs. Belly Dancing.

Where's our Hula expert....would that be Kuoka?

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 09:35:30 PM »

Quote from: "2NJSons_Mom"
Louise, what a wonderful story...you have met so many fascinating people....thanks...and you are correct, it is not easy, and the figure 8 gyration was what my friends & I had trouble with....it's hard coordinate the hands & keep that moving...guess it's like riding a bike or driving stick...once you get it...you're okay.  We just laughed too much...it distracted the serious students.

Carnut, you seem to have studied the art...one way or another....observation is a great learning tool.  The hips say it all and I agree about the Hula vs. Belly Dancing.

Where's our Hula expert....would that be Kuoka?

Yeah, in the real world I've always been one of those quiet ******* types.
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 11:09:43 PM »

I'm so glad I started this thread - you guys are full of fascinating stories!

Louise - I especially like the story about the elderly lady. You are a born storyteller.

One reason I thought about bellydancing is because I actually am able to move my hips quite a lot. Don't know why really - I've just always been able to do that. Something to do with joints, I guess. I've never had any kind of a sprain in my whole life. I remember the doctor telling one time that it would be difficult for me to get a sprain because my joints were so flexible.

I still haven't totally made up my mind, but I'm seriously thinking about the lessons. Wish me luck!!  Very Happy

I Stand With The Girl
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 11:20:46 PM »

Take the course, honey, especially if you are flexible. Try it. What can you lose?

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 11:25:28 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Take the course, honey, especially if you are flexible. Try it. What can you lose?

Right on, Louise...that's what I said earlier...it was not in the cards for me, but if BT is flexible...it might be a win/win situation.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.