April 27, 2024, 11:14:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aveion Malik Lewis-Reported Deceased-Body found/ ID'd (Stepfather charged)  (Read 33560 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 04:36:25 PM »

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/after_150_tip_still_no_sign_of_missing_roanoke_toddler_aveion_lewis/75412/
After 150+ tips, still no sign of missing Roanoke toddler
(Video Available in Article)
Tuesday, January 19, 2010

5:03 p.m.

By Meagan Farley
WSLS 7pm Anchor

For the family of Aveion Lewis, the weekend brought minimal answers.

“The only thing we know for a fact right now is that my nephew is missing,“ said Chris Ward, Aveion’s Uncle.

Ward says he hasn’t heard a thing from the alleged kidnappers, who he says asked for $10,000 in a ransom note. “There hasn’t been any contact from anybody.“

As days pass, Ward says the situation is getting more dire for Aveion.  “He needs to eat. He has health issues.“

The Roanoke Police Department says it is following up on more than 150 tips or leads it received throughout Virginia and outside of the state. Aveion’s family hopes the neighborhood opens up as much as possible.

“It is OK to give up what you know.  They’re not worried about whose doing what in the neighborhood.  They are worried about that little boy.“

———-

3:00 p.m.

WSLS News Staff
news@wsls.com

The Roanoke City Police Department says it has received more than 150 tips in the search for missing two-year-old Aveion Lewis.

Today (Monday), investigators went back to the Jamestown Place apartments.  Officers, State Police troopers, and agents from the FBI have also conducted multiple ground and air searches using handheld heat detectors.

Investigators also say they have asked people living in and around the Jamestown Place apartments to consent to a search of their apartments, as well as to fill out questionnaires.  Police say they’ve received an overwhelming response.

Police believe Aveion was abducted last Thursday from his home at the Jamestown Place apartments in the 2100 block of King Charles Avenue.

Aveion’s step-father told police that three men came into the home, knocked him unconscious.  When he woke up, he foundp his four-year-old step-daughter tied up in an upstairs bedroom, and Aveion missing.

State Police issued am Amber Alert for Aveion early on Friday.  Troopers say Aveion was last seen wearing a yellow Sponge Bob Squarepants Footie Pajamas.

State Police say a note requesting money was left behind.  Aveion’s mother told WSLS last Friday that the note demanded $10,000.  The brother of Aveion’s mother told WSLS that the ransom note was written on a piece of paper from inside the home, and that paper was a medical bill from Carilion.

Investigators say they have set up a command center inside in the Police Department for the case.  It will be staffed 24 hours a day.

Police are using FBI software to help gather tips from the community, as well as organize the information to help officers in the field.

Aveion has a health problem, because he was born premature.  He needs special food because of it.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:47:38 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 05:07:39 PM »

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/233522
Roanoke police expand search for missing 2-year-old boy
UPDATE: Roanoke police have announced a press conference for 5:15 p.m. today.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
PookyBear
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 05:47:12 PM »

Good afternoon Moneys. 

This is so sad.

Updated: 5:19 p.m.

Police believe missing two-year-old Aveion M. Lewis is dead, Roanoke police chief Joe Gaskins said in a press conference today.

Police have shifted their search for the boy to a search for his body after the boy's stepfather, Brandon Lockett, told police the toddler had died. No one has been charged in the boy's death. Police are holding Lockett in custody.

Police did not release any information about the circumstances of Aveion's death.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »

Good afternoon Moneys. 

This is so sad.

Police believe missing two-year-old Aveion M. Lewis is dead, Roanoke police chief Joe Gaskins said in a press conference today.

Police have shifted their search for the boy to a search for his body after the boy's stepfather, Brandon Lockett, told police the toddler had died. No one has been charged in the boy's death. Police are holding Lockett in custody.

Police did not release any information about the circumstances of Aveion's death.

Thanks Pooky.that is what I was afraid of.     

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »

Good afternoon Moneys. 

This is so sad.

Thanks Pooky.that is what I was afraid of.     

The story just sounded fishy from the start.  I hope little Aveion's body can be recovered.  May he rest in peace.   an angelic monkey  I wonder what happened, and I wonder how much  Aveion's mother and/or other family members were in on it too, or had at least some knowledge of what occured?  I think they must have known.  JMHO 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »

Missing 2-Year-Old Case Now Death Investigation

posted 01/19/10 5:38 pm

Roanoke, VA - Police are now treating the case of a missing Roanoke toddler as a death investigation.

2-year-old Aveion Lewis was reported missing to police last Thursday, but police say conflicting stories forced them to focus on his step-father.

Brandon Lockett, who we spoke to last week, is now in custody, and being questioned in the death of his step-son. He has not been charged.

Police say that Lockett told them Aveion was dead prior to his 911to report the child missing.

However, police have not located the boy's body, and will continue searching until the body is found.

We'll have more on this story on ABC 13 News at 7:00.

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0110/697571.html

Heart
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »

I think I'd like to wait a bit before moving this thread to "deceased", until after an official release by the police about Aveion's demise.   

Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 06:28:49 PM »

MichelleSigona

..Brandon Lockett is in custody, not charged as of yet..

28 minutes ago   from mobile web 
http://twitter.com/MichelleSigona

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »

I think I'd like to wait a bit before moving this thread to "deceased", until after an official release by the police about Aveion's demise.   

IA Muffy, after it is officially reported.

Heart
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-missing-roanoke-boy-update,0,6384921.storyBreaking News: Missing Roanoke Toddler Now Believed Dead
Police Don't Think Child Was Ever Abducted

January 19, 2010
ROANOKE - Roanoke Police now believe a missing two-year-old may be dead. They are now switching their search for him to a death investigation.

Below is a press release from Roanoke Police with the latest:

On January 14, 2010, the Roanoke Police Department received a report of the abduction of Aveion Malik Lewis from the 2100 block of King Charles Avenue. Since then, the department has investigated the reported abduction and received varying degrees of cooperation from key persons in the investigation; which lead police to question the validity of information received from some individuals. As a result, investigators began to focus on the possibility that Brandon Lockett, Aveion' step-father was not providing accurate details. Based on conflicting statements given, and significant developments within the last 24 hours, police determined that it was necessary to expand the previous and ongoing ground search. As the search progressed, Police were advised that the reported abduction did not occur. It is with great regret and sadness that the Roanoke Police Department announces that our investigation has moved from an abduction to an investigation into the death of Aveion Malik Lewis. All indications are that Aveion was deceased prior to the 911 call made on January 14. This information has been provided by Brandon Lockett. Unfortunately, police do not yet have a known location of Aveion's body. The expanded ground search, which began this morning will continue in an effort locate Aveion. Investigators are working to obtain more information surrounding the circumstances of Aveion's death, and those details cannot be released at this time. During this investigation we have received overwhelming support and cooperation from the public, and the Roanoke Police Department thanks everyone for their cooperation. The department asks for the public's continued support, assistance, and cooperation. This investigation is ongoing, and anyone with additional information regarding this investigation should call the Roanoke Police Department. The department thanks the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Virginia State Police, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and numerous public safety agencies and search teams from across the state and outside Virginia.

Searching
Monkey Junky

Got my Anti Anthony Koolaid helmet on ,I'm ready!

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 06:55:16 PM »

I just got word of this latest and was coming to make sure it was here too. So very sad, another senseless ending of an innocent babies life. My the Lord comfort the family and friends who loved Aveion and my he be wrapped in the warm loving arms of the Lord tonight. 

And may the one who killed him burn in hell.   

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 08:58:15 PM »

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/the_family_of_aveion_lewis_reacts_to_his_death_and_faked_abduction/75839/

The family of Aveion Lewis reacts to his death and faked abduction

By Meagan Farley  | WSLS10 Anchor
Published: January 19, 2010
Updated: January 19, 2010

On January 14th, the stepfather of Aveion Lewis, Brandon Lockett, called 911 saying someone beat him up and kidnapped Aveion.  Police now say he was lying.

“All indications are Aveion was deceased prior to the 911 call made on the 14th,“ says Roanoke Police Chief Joe Gaskins.

Aveion’s body still hasn’t been found. Tuesday night the Lockett home was an active crime scene and Chris Ward, Aveion’s Uncle, was still in shock even though he didn’t believe Lockett’s story from the beginning.  “We had already put this together when it hit, but I’m not prepared for it.“

Police are calling this a death investigation at this time, not a murder.  Lockett is being questioned but has not been officially charged. For some family members, there still isn’t a sense of closure.  “They still haven’t found his body,“ said Ward.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/police-missing-toddler-believed-dead-011910
Police: Missing Toddler Believed Dead

Updated: Tuesday, 19 Jan 2010, 8:44 PM EST
Published : Tuesday, 19 Jan 2010, 8:44 PM EST

ROANOKE, Va. - Roanoke police say they believe a 2-year-old taken from his home last week is now dead.

Roanoke police chief Joe Gaskins said Tuesday that authorities shifted their search after Aveion M. Lewis' stepfather told police the toddler had died.

No one has been charged, but the stepfather, Brandon Lockett, is in custody.

Police did not release any information about the circumstances of Aveion's death. The child was last seen wearing yellow SpongeBob Squarepants footie pajamas.

Last week, police said three men took the boy Thursday after they knocked his stepfather unconscious. They left a note asking for money.

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »

If he told them he was dead, why not tell them what he did with him. 

2 4 1
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 10:10:34 PM »

If he told them he was dead, why not tell them what he did with him. 

That was my first thought too, SuzieQ.  But then I realized maybe the stepfather doesn't want Aveion found, because the police might be able to establish his cause of death, which may not have been an accident or natural death.  I haven't seen anything in the articles yet that states the cause of death for Aveion before the 911 call was made.  I wonder if the stepfather is trying for a plea deal?  Maybe he wants something in exchange for telling where the body is?  It may be harder to convict without the body.  Somehow, some way the stepfather has confessed that Aveion was dead before the call.  Maybe it's just going to take some more time to get the rest.  If Aveion is in the water, the longer he's in there, the harder it is for evidence.  And then I wonder about the garbage dump.  So much time has passed since he was reported missing.     I hope Aveion can be recovered. 

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »

Rant warning!

I've been gone five days and come back to check on the progress of little Aveion taken from his home in a home invasion in his little spongebob squarepants jammies, and read this!  Will this crap ever end?  When will we as a society be able to move past these "fake abductions"?  How does this effect law enforcement when they receive a call of an actual real abduction?  Will they take it seriously?  Or will they immediately think the whole thing is a ruse to cover up a death?  What about the detailed descriptions of the assailants and the vehicle?  Oh, and I'm going to touch on the race issue too.  What about the missing and murdered young black children whose families begged for police to take their case seriously, only to have the case end in tragedy. Jahmeshia Conner comes to mind, I'm sure there are others but I am so irate right now I can't think of any.  In the week of the great Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday, how do you think he would feel about what has taken place here and what will continue to take place as long as the familial unit is not valued in some of black society?  If this is too political, please delete.

I hope and pray that Aveion did not suffer, that he will be able to rest in peace, and that justice will be served in his honor.

Rant over.

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »

http://codeamber.org/lewisva/va_012010_1009_amber_alert_lewis_cancel.php

Amber Alert Canceled for 2 Year Old Virginia Boy
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 8:44 AM CT
Updated: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:09 AM CT

The State of Virginia canceled the Amber Alert late Tuesday (01-19) after the boy's stepfather told police that the boy was not abducted as he previously claimed. Police say they believe the boy is dead and that he apparently died before the stepfather made the initial 911 call. The stepfather is being held for questioning and no charges have been filed. The boys mother has also been questioned.
<snip>

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/233654

Aveion Lewis update: Stepfather charged, search for body continues
January 20, 2010
By Amanda Codispoti | The Roanoke Times
Roanoke police have charged the stepfather of Aveion Malik Lewis with child neglect, improper disposal of a human body and obstruction of justice, police said in a news release this afternoon.
Brandon Lockett had told police that on Thursday three men knocked him out and abducted his 2-year-old stepson. On Tuesday, he told police that the child was dead even before he was reported missing.

Police are continuing to search for the toddler's body and have not released information on how Aveion might have died.

On Jan. 14, police were called to the couple's duplex in Jamestown Place in Southeast Roanoke for a reported abduction.

Brandon Lockett told police that three men had knocked him unconscious, ransacked the house and restrained a 4-year-old girl before taking Aveion. Brandon Lockett also said the men left a ransom note demanding $10,000.

The report led to an Amber Alert and police searched for Aveion for days, conducting traffic stops, canvassing his neighborhood and passing out fliers with the boy's picture. Virginia State Police and the FBI also were involved.

But investigators had doubts early on about the validity of the reported abduction, Roanoke Police Chief Joe Gaskins said in a Tuesday news conference.

"We had some reservations about the stories that were being told, but considering the child, we couldn't afford to assume that an abduction had not occurred, so we certainly had to work it from the angle that there had been an abduction," Gaskins said.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 03:39:49 PM »

If I live to be 100 I will never understand how people can do this.

~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »

Due to the nature of charges brought against the stepfather of Aveion Lewis, I'm moving this thread to "deceased"  I hope Aveion's body can be recovered. 

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/233654

"Roanoke police have charged the stepfather of Aveion Malik Lewis with child neglect, improper disposal of a human body and obstruction of justice, police said in a news release this afternoon.
Brandon Lockett had told police that on Thursday three men knocked him out and abducted his 2-year-old stepson. On Tuesday, he told police that the child was dead even before he was reported missing.

Police are continuing to search for the toddler's body and have not released information on how Aveion might have died."
<snip>

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.