March 28, 2024, 10:53:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State-financed treatment for pedophilia / Just 1 example of thousands  (Read 3636 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: January 18, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »

Jury to decide fate of pedophile held at mental health facility

Posted: Jan. 5, 2010

Shawn Schulpius, 36, has spent his entire adult life in state-financed treatment for his pedophilia. Taxpayers continue to pay more than $100,000 a year for his care, but state psychologists say their work isn't done.

Schulpius' lawyer, however, contends that the 13 years of therapy and supervision has taught Schulpius to recognize, divert and suppress his sexual attraction to children and that he deserves discharge from state custody. Rolling Eyes
A Milwaukee County jury will decide Wednesday whether he remains much more likely than not to commit sex crimes against children, whether he'll return to Sand Ridge Secure Treatment Center or return home.

By the time he was convicted of molesting a 4-year-old boy in 1991, Schulpius had sexually assaulted at least three other children, starting when he was 14, and perhaps as many as nine, prosecutors say. As his prison sentence was about to end in 1995, the state had Schulpius committed under Chapter 980. The 1994 law allows inmates deemed sexually violent to be held for mental health treatment after they complete prison terms.

Schulpius has been seeking release for years, and his case threatened the constitutional underpinning of Chapter 980 when it got all the way to the state Supreme Court in 2005.

Chapter 980 patients can petition for supervised release back into the community, and Milwaukee County Circuit Judge John Franke twice granted that request for Schulpius, in 1997 and 1999. But he remained at the Sand Ridge Secure Treatment Center in Mauston because the state could not find appropriate placement in Milwaukee County.

The Supreme Court found that violated Schulpius' right to due process, but also ruled that Franke effectively overruled his earlier findings when in 2000 he decided Schulpius was no longer eligible for supervised release.

This time, Schulpius seeks complete discharge from his Chapter 980 commitment. At his trial, state psychologists testified that he has pedophilia, and that while he has made progress, he still shows arousal to images of children and has been inconsistent about chronicling all the offenses he committed as a teenager.

Luis Rosell, an Iowa psychologist who works with sex offenders in several states, testified that he reviewed Schulpius' records and interviewed him twice. In his opinion, he said, Schulpius is less likely than not to reoffend.

Rosell questioned why, if the program at Sand Ridge is the model the state claims, the staff has never recommended anyone be released. Judges or juries have made those determinations for 60 patients discharged since Sand Ridge opened in 2001.

Where to place Chapter 980 patients such as Schulpius and Billy Lee Morford became a hot-button issue in 2003, when Morford was first quietly moved into a home on the northwest side of Milwaukee. Protests led to a search for alternative sites, each of which encountered its own resistance from neighbors. There was talk of making the state build a group facility somewhere in the county for sex offenders released under Chapter 980. In Schulpius' cases, the Supreme Court noted that lack of placement options could undermine the constitutionality of the law.

Morford ultimately satisfied his conditions of supervised release and was granted full termination in 2006. He is still listed on the state's sex offender registry, which includes offenders who were not deemed sexually violent and held under Chapter 980.

Today, there are 317 patients at Sand Ridge being held under Chapter 980, and prosecutors have sought to have 59 more people sent there, according to Stephanie Marquis, media relations manager for the state Department of Health Services.

Since 1994, 60 patients have won discharge from Chapter 980 commitment, and 18 are under community supervision statewide, Marquis said. None of those under community supervision resides in Milwaukee County.

Among the 18 states that allow post-prison civil commitment, Wisconsin places the most in community supervision, according to the state.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/80762252.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »

They will never admit there is no 'cure' 

Supreme Court of Wisconsin

In re the Commitment of Shawn D. Schulpius:
State of Wisconsin,
          Petitioner-Respondent,
     v.
Shawn D. Schulpius,
          Respondent-Appellant-Petitioner.
http://www.wicourts.gov/sc/opinion/DisplayDocument.html?content=html&seqNo=20871

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »

Well BRAVO, for once!

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/80816647.html

Jury denies pedophile's release
By Bruce Vielmetti of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Jan. 7, 2010

A jury has decided that a pedophile in prison or secure treatment since 1991 is still too dangerous to be released from civil commitment.

Shawn Schulpius, 36, will be returned to Sand Ridge Secure Treatment Center in Mauston, where the state treats more than 300 offenders deemed sexually violent under Wisconsin's Chapter 980 law.

Schulpius was committed under the law in 1996. In arguing for his discharge, his attorney, Robert Peterson, told jurors during closing arguments to consider Schulpius today, not the crimes he committed as a teenager.

Peterson said Schulpius had made significant progress in recognizing and controlling his predilection for children and suggested it was fundamentally unfair to hold him indefinitely because he might commit a future crime.

Assistant District Attorney Chris Liegel said Schulpius should be applauded for the progress he's made but said it amounts only to "baby steps" and shouldn't convince jurors that Schulpius is now "less likely than not" to sexually assault children.

It was up to the state to show, by only clear and convincing evidence because the hearing is not a regular criminal trial, that Schulpius was "more likely than not" to reoffend.

The jury of four women and two men heard testimony Monday and Tuesday from one defense and three state psychologists about Schulpius' condition, his treatment progress and actuarial measures of likely recidivism.

The jury took less than two hours Wednesday to deny Schulpius' bid for freedom.

Schulpius was convicted in 1991 of molesting a 4-year-old boy. Near the end of his five-year prison term, prosecutors sought his commitment under Chapter 980. He moved from the Wisconsin Resource Center to Sand Ridge in 2001.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 06:27:32 PM »

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=wi&vol=wis4%5C00-0095&invol=1

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »

I need to get a look at this freak...can't find photo 

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.