March 28, 2024, 03:28:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Government creates no wealth" - Perpetual debt? Biden's tsunami of spending?  (Read 1084 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: January 24, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »

Government creates no wealth

My business had a good year. We probably served 50,000 meals and were a part of many more, not unlike many small restaurants across the state. The average restaurant in this state has a profit of 4 percent. For those who don’t know, that means that for every dollar spent at given restaurant, chances are 4 cents ended up in the pocket of the owner of the business. That $10 meal got her 40 cents. She’ll probably turn around and invest a penny or two into new equipment, a little advertising for once, a bonus for the staff. Then it won’t be profit anymore.

Our government, with the sales tax, just made 70 cents on that purchase. Did they materially participate in that $10 meal? Oh, they kept the roads passable most of the time. They kept watch on our streets. Water and sewer — my mistake — that was paid in the restaurant’s bills. But did the government provide 75 percent more toward that meal than the restaurant owner? Where’s fair here?

Government is an expense that crowds out other expenses in our economy. Government always has its hands out, promising benefits beyond its power to give. As a businessman, I am creating wealth and serving the needs of others in the way they value being served.

Government produces nothing as it is sucking dry those who produce wealth.

more here - http://bismarcktribune.com/news/opinion/mailbag/article_88861310-08a8-11df-8d97-001cc4c002e0.html?mode=story

from the comments -

Hettinger County Hot said on: January 24, 2010, 8:56 am Right, lets get rid of government and taxes. But that would also mean many of your customers couldn't afford to eat at your restaurant (Social Security checks). How would the others get there? No roads without a gas tax. Out fo state customers? State tourism brings those to your.

Where you going to get the water to do those dishes? Who you going to call when someone wants all the money in the till? What if you have a fire?

Kind of small thinking on your part. You might fit right in with some of those Tea Party thinkers.......

Is all government spending, debt, and taxes good things? 
Obama's spending on roads, does it benefit the community that has to pay back the debt?  Or does it benefit special interests?  Cronys?  Pork?

Why don't those communities dig into their own pockets and find money to build the roads they need?

It seems like it's easier to ripoff people from Washington, than to ask locals how they want to spend their money.

I think one of the biggest problems with Obama and Washingtons spending, debt, and taxation, is that it takes from everyone, and future generations, and doesn't seem to benefit anyone on Main Street.

What's wrong with letting local voters/residents decide when and where to build a road?  How to finance it?

Why is Obama taking this nation down the road to perpetual debt?

Firemen are a necessity, I think most would agree.  Paying for fireman in communities thousands of miles away is not!  Paying for roads in 49 other states? 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.