March 19, 2024, 04:12:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morgan Dana Harrington #2 7/1/10 -  (Read 726855 times)
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #300 on: December 24, 2010, 08:57:14 PM »

241 to the Harrington family and all of Morgan's Warriors

2 4 1
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #301 on: December 25, 2010, 09:33:21 PM »

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2010/dec/25/top-10-stories-year-ar-736479/
Top 10 Stories of the Year
By Daily Progress Staff Reports
Published: December 25, 2010
(snip)
HARRINGTON’S REMAINS FOUND

On Jan. 26, an Albemarle farmer found Morgan D. Harrington’s remains in some tall grass on his Anchorage Farm, near U.S. 29 south of Charlottesville. The 20-year-old Virginia Tech student had been missing since a concert at the John Paul Jones Arena in October 2009. Harrington’s death was officially labeled a homicide. Months later, police would announce that forensic evidence showed that, on the night she died, Harrington had been in contact with an unknown man who they believe committed a 2005 abduction and assault in Fairfax. Both cases remain unsolved.
(snip)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #302 on: December 31, 2010, 07:10:48 AM »

2 4 1 Justice for Morgan

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #303 on: January 03, 2011, 06:36:21 AM »

http://media-newswire.com/release_1137729.html
In Memoriam 2010: University Remembers Morgan Harrington
December 30, 2010 - On an unspeakably sad day in January, an Albemarle County farmer discovered human remains that were later identified as those of Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, of Roanoke County.

(Media-Newswire.com) - December 30, 2010 — On an unspeakably sad day in January, an Albemarle County farmer discovered human remains that were later identified as those of Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, of Roanoke County.

Harrington, a Virginia Tech student, had disappeared the night of Oct. 17, 2009, from a Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena at the University of Virginia. A long and fruitless search engaged people from both universities and their surrounding communities.

This past October, on the first anniversary of her disappearance, the University of Virginia honored Harrington's life and memory with the installation of a permanent plaque on the Copeley Road Bridge, where she was last seen alive. The dedication ceremony was attended by her parents, Dan and Gil, and her brother, Alex, a U.Va. graduate.

The search for her killer continues.
 Crying or Very sad

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #304 on: January 06, 2011, 07:26:30 AM »

2 4 1
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #305 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/jan/06/new-virginia-dna-searches-possible-ar-755967/
New Virginia DNA searches possible
By Frank Green
Published: January 06, 2011

Credit: P. KEVIN MORLEY/TIMES-DISPATCH
Dan Harrington, father of slain student Morgan Harrington, spoke before the crime commission on familial DNA searching.
Virginia has obtained the software needed to conduct familial DNA searching and soon could be the third state to employ the crime-fighting tool regularly.

Use of the technique is being sought in at least two high-profile Virginia cases: the search for the so-called East Coast Rapist and the killer of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington.

In November, Mitchell Morrissey, the Denver district attorney and a proponent of familial searching, told the Virginia State Crime Commission that his office would make the software developed there available to Virginia at no cost.

Brad Jenkins, the forensic biology program manager for the Virginia Department of Forensic Science, reported Wednesday that the department took up Morrissey’s offer and is testing the software.

But he said the department also is leaving open the possibility of purchasing software should that prove a better course.

Reached by telephone Wednesday, Morrissey said: “We were thrilled that they accepted our offer. It confirms something that I’ve always believed, that Virginia is a leader in DNA.”
He said the software was downloaded the morning of Dec. 27. “My understanding is that … it’s working and we certainly understand that it’s going to take some time for them to validate it — we’d do the same thing,” Morrissey said.

“My hope is that eventually they’ll use it on case work and possibly solve some of those cases out there that need to be solved,” he said.

It was welcome news to Prince William County Commonwealth’s Attorney Paul Ebert, who hopes it will lead to the capture of a serial rapist responsible for attacking two teenage girls in his county in 2009 and for 20 attacks in five East Coast states.

“I’m hopeful we can use this to our benefit,” said Ebert, reached by telephone.

Colorado’s lab was the first to use familial searching successfully, but the technique — which has generated controversy — gained widespread attention in July when it cracked the case of the “Grim Sleeper” slayings in Los Angeles.

Traditionally, databases holding offender DNA profiles are searched for a match with DNA evidence left at a crime scene by the perpetrator.

If there is no match, familial searching looks for near-matches — a possible parent, child or sibling of whoever left DNA at the crime scene.

Further lineage DNA testing can narrow down greatly the list of possible relatives identified in a familial search. Those identified serve as investigative leads — not suspects— that might lead to an exact DNA match, as it did in Los Angeles.
Jenkins said Wednesday that some computer-code changes needed to be made for the Denver software to be used in Virginia and that the department has set up the required hardware.

A confidentiality agreement has been put in place, and a representative of the Denver crime laboratory was here last week to install the software, Jenkins said.

“We had a couple of glitches that day, but it’s up and running,” he said, adding that performance checks have started. Peter Marone, director of the Virginia Department of Forensic Science, said after the meeting that there is no way to predict when his lab might begin using familial searching.

“Sooner rather than later,” he said, but he added that it likely would be this year. “We’re moving it along as expeditiously as possible — but we want to do it right,” he said.

Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Raymond Morrogh, chairman of the Forensic Science Department board, said, “It seems to me we’re moving forward with appropriate caution.”

Familial searching has been controversial and is barred in Maryland and the District of Columbia because of privacy and other concerns.

Kent Willis, executive director of the ACLU of Virginia, said that while the use of familial DNA searching may be inevitable and, depending on how it is used, most likely constitutional, there are reasons to be skeptical of it and to proceed cautiously.

“In this country, you should not be a suspect just because you have a relative who is a criminal,” he said.

How useful this technology will be remains to be seen, Willis said.

~ Peter Frampton
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #306 on: January 07, 2011, 07:46:11 PM »

Beautiful!

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2011, 07:19:38 AM »

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-new-dna-testing-in-virginia-to-01072011,0,7269956.story
Familial DNA Testing In Virginia
New DNA testing in Virginia to help crack unsolved criminal cases.

Tracy Sears Reporter
10:23 p.m. EST, January 7, 2011
RICHMOND —

It could be just a few months time before Virginia Law Enforcement has a new tool to help solve crimes, especially unsolved cases.  The state’s Department of Forensic Science is now testing DNA software that allows scientists to conduct familial DNA searches.  In November, the district attorney in Denver offered the technology to Virginia free of charge.

Virginia investigators hope familial testing will lead to the arrest of a serial rapist.  Charlottesville police hope it can lead them to a suspect in the murder of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington.

The so-called “East Coast Rapist” has been linked to approximately twenty attacks in five states, but has never been caught.

Despite a DNA database of more than 350,000 criminals, Virginia investigators have not been able to match a suspect to the crime scenes.

Familial DNA software could hopefully help police catch suspects like the “East Coast Rapist” by matching DNA from family members who are in the state’s database.

Currently, the only states that use familial technology are California and Colorado.

Brad Jenkins, the forensic biology department manager, with the Department of Forensic Science,  explains how familial searches work.

“Parents will share half their DNA with their children.” Jenkins says, “So if you find a DNA profile that’s very similar, that may suggest it came from one of the family members.”

However, some members of the ACLU believe the program might be an invasion of privacy.

Los Angeles investigators have used the technology to their advantage.  Familial DNA testing helped them catch the serial killer known as “The Grim Sleeper.”  Police were able to track down the killer using his son’s DNA information that was obtained after he was convicted on a felony weapon’s charge.
Jenkins says the software is up and running, but will not be used to solve criminal cases until it’s put through a series of tests.  Testing the technology could take months, but scientists hope to use the software within a year’s time.

In November,  Virginia’s Attorney General passed down a legal opinion that says Virginia can conduct familial searches based on current law.

Video at link

~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2011, 02:19:49 PM »

The portrait is incredible.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #309 on: January 09, 2011, 02:58:47 AM »

Morgan, I kept my promise. I wore the bracelet to my 25 year old daughter's wedding.  I will not forget you......2 4 1

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #310 on: January 12, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »

http://www.alextimes.com/news/2011/jan/12/paving-a-way-for-rape-victims-liz-seccu/
Paving a way for rape victims, Liz Seccuro writes book to inspire
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 12 2011

By Derrick Perkins
Seccuro, a local activist for victims of sexual assault and author of the recently released memoir “Crash into me,” recalls being asked whether the experience was cathartic. It wasn’t, she said.

“It was hard to write, like going back into the heart of darkness,” said Seccuro between sips of tea in her Old Town home. “There’s still a bit of darkness that shows itself through triggers you can’t predict.”

Still, Seccuro soldiered on, typing up the manuscript during the course of three years. The memoir, which she describes as part crime thriller, part biography, recounts her rape while a student at the University of Virginia in 1984 and the school’s subsequent failure to take action against the accused. Then it tackles the courtroom drama that followed when William Beebe admitted his guilt in 2005.

“I’m hoping this opens a dialogue,” she said. “I wanted to write this so anyone else on this journey can understand that they can have a blessed life … and what to prepare themselves for.”

It’s a difficult road for a survivor to navigate, Seccuro said. She’s candid about her own bad decisions following the rape: falling into a bad marriage, binge drinking and suffering from eating disorders. It’s not a struggle often discussed in polite company, Seccuro said.

“There’s a bigger and more intricate journey behind it. It’s not easy to be known for this. I’d much rather write about how I cured cancer or served in the Peace Corps for a year.”

While Seccuro has forgiven her attacker, who served less than six months behind bars, she won’t stop pushing colleges and universities to create an environment where sexual abuse is no longer tolerated and victims can speak out and receive the support they need.
Seccuro points to the high profile cases, like the murders of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington and UVA student Yeardley Love, indicating more works lies ahead. In a bizarre twist, the defense team representing George Huguely, the lacrosse player and student accused of killing Love, also represented Beebe.

Though university administrators ignored Seccuro more than 20 years ago, times have changed at UVA, according to Nicole Ermano, an associate dean of students. Somewhere between five and 10 students visit her each semester after suffering a sexual assault. Ermano guides them to places where they can find help.

“We work very closely with student victims in terms of getting them the support they need in terms of counseling or academic support,” she said. “We try to be a one stop shop.”

Ermano also sits on a board of students, faculty and staff specially convened for handling cases of sexual assault. At times, their investigation is carried out alongside police proceedings, she said.

But few students elect either option, choosing instead to recover on their own terms.

And that’s the problem, Seccuro said. It’s up to administrators to make it easier for victims to step forward, she said.

“Human beings are not collateral damage,” Seccuro said. “Too many are raped or murdered … I’m sort of here to tell the story for them. It’s to respect their memory.”

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »

http://findmorgan.com/category/family-blog
Gil Harrington’s thoughts from January 13th, 2011
January 12, 2011

It is very slow finding your way through a minefield like the holidays.  We did so well!  We had some genuine moments of joy, even though there were also many crying times.  There is a lot of pain in discarding family traditions that are fractured for us without Morgan taking her part in them. 

Like: Morgan was always the best at deciphering the treasure hunt clues for the “biggest” gift.  We won’t / can’t play that game anymore.

Like: Morgan loved those chocolate crinkle cookies that you refrigerate and you roll in powdered sugar.  I would only make them at Christmas time.  Morgan had a sixth sense of exactly when, and inevitably find the refrigerated dough and would eat the majority before we could get the cookies baked.  We won’t / can’t make that recipe any more.

Like: Morgan had what appeared to be a giant green metallic scrunchie with bells all over it.  She would force our dog, Kirby, to wear his “jingle bell necklace” at Christmas.  Kirby is sort of schizoid and afraid of his own shadow, so you can imagine how funny his response to this Christmas dress up attire was.  Morgan thought it was a riot.  We won’t/ can’t do that anymore.  (Kirby is profoundly grateful for the reprieve; but I will miss the silliness)

Like: Morgan was notorious for taking one little nibble from most of the chocolates in a box, and then putting them back in her quest for her favorite caramels.  Many repetitions of “if you bite it, you eat it” made her change her ways.  Instead, to get around the no bite rule, she started poking her finger in the bottom of each one instead!  We won’t / can’t have chocolates as sweet ever again.

These memories of Morgan are difficult to contemplate.  I tend to neutralize the bitterness of such thoughts here.  Somehow, writing about feelings that are painful is like removing the splinter or shard of glass from a wound before it festers.  As with those excision, writing about Morgan and our grief is perhaps painful, but ultimately promotes healing and growth.

There are not enough words, or paper, or keystrokes to help us “get over” this loss; however, I do see a way through by sharing my feelings to dilute the anguish so that we are able to “get beyond” this tragedy.

Thank each of you for caring enough to carry us as we move through this rough landscape of life with out Morgan Dana Harrington.

2 4 1

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #312 on: January 15, 2011, 11:07:18 AM »

2 4 1 Justice For Morgan

~ Peter Frampton
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #313 on: January 18, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »

Bringing this over from the Natalee thread. I think Beth and Gil are a lot alike and am glad to see them on the same stage.

http://www.fvtc.edu/public/content.aspx?ID=1238&PID=81

Featured Conference Speakers  Included among the schedule of diverse and experienced speakers at this national conference are Beth Holloway, mother of missing Natalee Holloway; Dr. Emily Craig, Forensic Anthropologist for the Kentucky State Medical Examiner's Office; Sgt. Jon Mattsen, Detective for Investigative Services at the King County Sheriff's Office in Seattle, Washington; and Dr. Daniel & Gil Harrington, parents of Morgan Harrington. Read these speakers' full biographies below or view the Draft Agenda under the Quick Links section to the right for more topics and scheduled speakers.

Snipped:

2 4 1
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #314 on: January 19, 2011, 01:26:56 PM »

Thanks SuzieQ. 
I am sure it will be very interesting.They certainly are two very strong women.  an angelic monkey

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #315 on: January 23, 2011, 08:18:59 AM »

2 4 1

http://findmorgan.com/

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #316 on: January 24, 2011, 08:54:35 AM »

http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?cat=1991704080566501&act=post&pid=12032401112652862
www.Marketstreetwine.com
This Just In
by C-VILLE Writers
Morgan Harrington's parents mark anniversary of daughter's discovery in Albemarle farm
by Brendan Fitzgerald, January 24th 08:39am

Tomorrow marks one year since the body of Morgan Harrington was discovered on a 750-acre Albemarle County farm. To mark the occasion, Dan and Gil Harrington, parents of the slain 20-year-old Virginia Tech student, will meet with reporters at various significant sites—from the Copeley Road bridge, where she was last reportedly seen alive, to a remote corner of Anchorage Farm, where her body was found more than three months after she disappeared.

"This will be the first time Dan and I have been allowed on the site," writes Gil Harrington in an e-mail, "and we are grateful for the opportunity." Temperatures tomorrow may reach 50 degrees, a marked difference compared to last year's chilly temperatures and light snowfall on-site. Read C-VILLE's coverage of Harrington's disappearance and death here.
http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?cat=1292601062782343&Search=morgan+harrington

~ Peter Frampton
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #317 on: January 24, 2011, 12:03:32 PM »

Thanks Trimm.  I cannot believe it has been a year.  My heart breaks that there has been no justice for Morgan.

2 4 1 

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #318 on: January 24, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »

Hi MAca    It's hard for me to believe so much time has passed, and still no arrest.  Praying for justice for Morgan.   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #319 on: January 24, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-murder-victims-last-steps-to-b-01242011,0,2091438.story
Murder Victim's last steps to be retraced Tuesday
Morgan Harrington's parents hope killer will be caught
Jean Jadhon WDBJ-TV Anchor/Reporter
5:39 p.m. EST, January 24, 2011

t was one year ago this week that the remains of a blonde haired, blue eyed college coed were found on a farm in Albemarle County.  Morgan Harrington was just 20 years old. The Virginia Tech student had last been seen after leaving a Metallica concert at John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville three months prior.

Tuesday almost one year to the day that Harrington's remains were found, Harrington's parents, Dan and Gil Harrington and Virginia State Police will retrace Morgan's last steps from the John Paul Jones Arena, to the parking lot where her purse was found, to the Copeley Road Bridge where she was last seen, to the field in Albemarle County where her decomposed body was found on January 26, 2010.

It will be the first time Dan and Gil Harrington will walk in the field where their daughter's remains were found.  Gil Harrington wonders what she'll feel as she steps onto the soil "The human is the evil component. I hope there is none of that still can be felt when we go there tomorrow," Gil Harrington said.

The hope is to shake memories and that maybe someone or something will come out leading police to Morgan's killer.  "I cannot stand the thought that the way we will finally apprehend the criminals who killed Morgan is through them hurting another woman." Gill Harrington said. "and waiting for a DNA hit from another crime. I just can't do that."
The people responsible have a life they  don't live in a vacuum," Gil Harrington said.  "They have girlfriends. They have employers. They interact with other people.  Its time for that community to spit out the people that killed Morgan Harrington."

The Harringtons have worked tirelessly to keep the word about their daughter's murder in the media.  "It has definitely been hard to keep the story out there enough for people to remember that Morgan was murdered in Charlottesville and as Gil said a murderer continues to walk the streets," Dan Harrington said.

The last and only real break in this case came last July when DNA linked the Harrington crime scene to a rape in Fairfax in 2005. The victim in that case survived and helped police come up with a composite sketch.

"I want him off the streets," Gil Harrington said.  " i just cannot let another family feel the grief and devastation that we felt. It has been a really hard road."

~ Peter Frampton
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.