March 28, 2024, 12:50:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morgan Dana Harrington #2 7/1/10 -  (Read 727402 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2010, 11:45:41 AM »

Akmom,I don't know how unusual it is,but I don't like it.   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2010, 04:18:36 PM »

http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/a_killer_among_us/61090/
A killer stalks among us
By Kari Pugh
Published: July 22, 2010
Updated: July 22, 2010
Prince William County, Va.- The man who killed Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington likely has strong ties to both Charlottesville and Northern Virginia, where he attacked another woman in 2005.

"He has some nexus," retired FBI profiler Gregg McCrary said in a recent phone interview. "He strikes where he is comfortable, in his own territory."

Virginia State Police announced earlier this month that they'd found a definite forensic link between the October 2009 disappearance and death of 20-year-old Morgan Harrington and the September 2005 abduction and sexual assault of a 26-year-old woman in Fairfax city, not far from George Mason Univer-sity.

Investigators won't say what that link is, but Harrington's parents have said it was a DNA database hit.

State police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said the Virginia Department of Forensics made the connection, and the information is now being compared in databases across the nation.

Police so far have not tied the man to any other crimes, or stumbled upon his identity in any state or na-tional offender databases.

But McCrary, a Spotsylvania County resident who has worked on hundreds of serial murder cases, said the two attacks are not the killer's only offenses.
It's hard for me to imagine that he hasn't tried this before," he said. "There have been unsuccessful attempts in both Northern Virginia and the Charlottesville areas. Chances are, there are unreported cases, victims."

Do you know this man?

State police admit they took a risk by putting out a composite sketch of the man. It was created in 2005, based on the memory of the victim in the Fairfax city attack.

"Composites cut both ways," McCrary said. "If it looks a lot like the guy, it could be helpful. If it doesn't, it can be a distraction. You're dealing with witness recollections in a traumatic situation."

Attack in Fairfax

The Sept. 24, 2005, attack in Fairfax caused a wave of panic in the neighborhoods surrounding George Mason University. The victim was walking home from a Giant Food grocery store on Jermantown Road about 10 p.m. when she was grabbed from behind.

The attacker carried her to a park area off Rock Garden Drive, where he sexually assaulted her. He then let her go and ran toward Fairhaven Court. The victim described her attacker as black, 25 to 35 years old, about 6 feet tall with black hair, a beard and a mustache.

The victim tried to fight him off, telling detectives she'd left scratches on his face.
Charlottesville

Morgan Harrington disappeared on Oct. 17, 2009, during a Metallica concert at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. Despite a massive search and national media attention, her body wasn't found until Jan. 26, 2010, when a farmer discovered her skeletal remains on his 700-acre property in Albemarle County.

In February, state police investigators said they were convinced that the killer worked or lived near the farm in southern Albemarle County, and that the area had some significance to him emotionally.

In a news release, state police stated that the man they were looking for "may have been inclined to return to the farm during a period of increased stress."

McCrary said dumping Harrington's body on a remote farm was risky, as was grabbing a woman on a well-traveled path in Fairfax, showing he was confident and knew both areas well.

But who is he?

Is he a student who has attended both U.Va. and GMU? Did he grow up in Charlottesville? Does he have relatives he visits in Northern Virginia? Is he a roadie who works concert venues? There was a Googoosh show at the nearby George Mason Patriot Center the night of the 2005 attack.

"There are so many scenarios possible, and we are looking at them all," Geller said. "We are hoping somebody out there looks at the composite and there's some recognition. Maybe the facial hair has changed, maybe the hairline or even the hairstyle has changed. But look at the eyes, the facial structure."

Geller said police have received close to 80 tips since releasing the composite earlier this month. She said investigators are in the process of vetting those leads, and working with Fairfax city police to identify a killer—before he strikes again.
He's still out there

McCrary said, and state police agree, that the man's pattern shows an escalation in his crimes.

"He will most certainly strike again," McCrary said. "Your chance of crossing paths with this guy is slim, but I'd tell women to be vigilant. Use reasonable care, stay with your friends if you're out at a concert."

For state police, "that pressure exists to find this person," Geller said.

"There is a pattern developing, and we need to prevent it from happening again," she said.

She said investigators are convinced that someone out there has the missing piece to the puzzle, whether they know it or not.

"For people who think, 'I might have seen this person,' you might discount it. But we might have two other people who saw the same thing. Call us, e-mail us and let us see if the piece fits."

On her family blog, Harrington's mother, Gil, wrote that she's convinced the killer is "hiding in plain sight."

"They are a little off, their edges blurred, but they are passable if you only glance quickly and then look away," she wrote. "When the hairs on your neck raise and your skin starts to crawl take note, get out, call the police, and we'll have him."

The Harrington family is offering a $100,000 reward, and the band Metallica has put up $50,000, for in-formation leading to an arrest in the case. If you have any information, call state police at 434-352-3467 or e-mail bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov .

Communities editor Kari Pugh can be reached at 703-530-3901.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/golfers_tee_off_in_morgan_harringtons_memory/113190/
Golfers tee off in Morgan Harrington’s memory
By Lindsey Ward
Published: July 23, 2010
Updated: July 23, 2010
ROANOKE CO. - The Morgan Harrington Memorial Golf Tournament teed off for the first time Friday.

A hundred golfers hit the links at Hanging Rock to raise money for one of Morgan’s favorite charities; Roanoke based Orphan Medical Network International.

Proceeds will help pay for an educational facility in Africa named after Morgan.

Close high school friend, Erin Cole, organized the entire tournament.

“It actually started on mother’s day and we had all the family over and we were talking about the bracelets and you can’t sell bracelets every year you know, you can only sell so many of them.  We wanted something that can be done every year,“ said Cole.

Morgan’s parents, Dan and Gil Harrington, were on hand for today’s tournament.

This is the first of three fundraisers to pay for the educational facility, which will cost about $73,000 dollars.

~ Peter Frampton
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2010, 04:33:38 PM »

Concerts, at Universities, Sketchy guy, I just want to scream.....I am so hopeful, yet so worried.  I keep getting cold chills over the possible connections between security..limos...etc.  I am wearing my Morgan T shirt today and wanting to retire it ASAP...

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2010, 04:59:41 PM »

LE is the authority.. They can go ask questions of this fellow. He COULD give a DNA sample.
OR LE may already have a DNA sample from his last conviction.
IF he does not LE may be able to pin him to the bridge area by cell phone records or eye witness to him being there or possible dispatcher in his own company that may have known he was in the area at the time. The Planting of the shirt appears to been done on purpose.
Somebody may have witnessed the person putting the shirt on the bushes.. The area is Full of windows on homes and apartments.
jmho
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2010, 07:28:51 AM »

http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2010/07/23/birthday-memorial-for-morgan/
  Birthday memorial for Morgan
by Courteney Stuart
published 12:26pm Friday Jul 23, 2010
Supporters of Morgan Harrington and the Harrington family will gather Saturday, July 24 on the Copeley Road Bridge memorial at 11am to mark what would have been the young woman’s 21st birthday. Harrington disappeared after attending a Metallica show at the John Paul Jones Arena on October 17, 2009. Her remains were discovered on an Albemarle County Farm in late January. On July 1, state police revealed that forensic evidence linked Morgan’s case to a 2005 sexual assault in Fairfax. Police released a composite sketch of a man who may have committed both crimes, but do not know his identity.
Saturday’s event will feature the release of 21 balloons carrying mini-flyers with the sketch, and cake will be served on a grassy area near the bridge.
The birthday memorial will be the second Morgan related event this week. Today, Friday, July 23, the First Annual Morgan Harrington Memorial Golf Tournament is taking place at the Hanging Rock Golf Club in Salem, Virginia. Proceeds from that event will go toward construction of the Morgan Harrington Education Wing at the Orphan Medical Network International village in Zambia, Africa.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2010, 07:32:09 AM »

http://findmorgan.com/category/family-blog
Gil Harrington’s thoughts from July 23rd, 2010
  On July - 23 - 2010ADD COMMENTS

Today is the golf tournament to benefit the building of the Morgan Harrington Educational Wing at OMNI Village in Zambia, Africa.  Such a courageous and clever triumph over darkness to continue to wrestle good out of Morgan’s tragic death.

Because of events like this, Morgan’s life has created a legacy of goodness that continues to impact the world.  To be truthful, Morgan’s posthumous achievements may actually supersede what she was likely to accomplish if she had been allowed to live. Ironic isn’t it?

As a parent I am so grateful, so happy, that Morgan’s murderer has not been able to erase her completely from the world.  Morgan chose a profession in education and she will, in fact, be part of educating and teaching many.  Morgan Harrington will not be a poster child for rape, abduction and murder.  Instead, Morgan will be remembered as a catalyst for teaching and care given to deserving students in the United States and Africa, as well.  We are so grateful to all who have helped us snatch this treasure out of the ashes of our Morgan.

2 4 1

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2010, 07:33:03 AM »

Prayers for the Harrington family.   an angelic monkey

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2010, 07:34:57 AM »

an angelic monkey

~ Peter Frampton
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »

Happy Birthday Morgan....2 4 1...  an angelic monkey

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2010, 01:54:04 PM »

Prayers for the Harrington family.   an angelic monkey

Amen

2 4 1
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=12864907
Morgan's Warriors Celebrate Harrington's 21st
Posted: Jul 24, 2010 6:07 PM CDT Updated: Jul 24, 2010 6:09 PM CDT

Morgan Harrington would have turned 21 on Saturday July 24th.
Some people who helped in the ground search for Morgan Harrington when she disappeared in October gathered on the Copeley Road Bridge on Saturday to mark what would have been her 21st birthday.

Members of the group, known as Morgan's Warriors, traveled from as far as Roanoke to take part in the roadside memorial. Harrington's father Dan stopped by to thank them for their support.

The group also said a prayer for justice for Morgan before releasing 21 balloons into the air.

Kenny Jarels is a member of Morgan's Warriors and said, "We're not going to go anywhere until this person, or persons, are caught, apprehended, and convicted. We're here for the long haul."

There is a $150,000 reward for information in the Harrington murder case. If you know anything, call the special Virginia State Police tip line at 434-352-3467.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2010, 04:00:07 PM »

Gil Harrington’s thoughts from July 26th, 2010
  On July - 26 - 20101 COMMENT

Dearest Mokie, this was a weekend to be remembered, memories to cherish. Not the manner of celebrating your 21st birthday that I had ever anticipated, but unexpectedly wonderful and joy filled regardless.

Erin, little Erin, masterfully orchestrated the Morgan Harrington Memorial Golf Tournament. It was fun and crazy and hot as blazes and it rained and that didn’t matter a bit. There was great food and gorillas and cake (Papa thanks you much) and a bubble machine and tears and Morgan, love permeated every moment. Papa careened around Hanging Rock Golf Course in a cart desperately searching for the turn signal and/or cruise control. I quickly gave up my co-pilot seat when I realized he wasn’t really clear that it was not a bumper car. Another new place you have taken us to.

Your memorial at the bridge in Charlottesville had balloons and more cake, and prayers and laughter and I lay on the sidewalk after and did the ugly cry and stroked the pictures of your face. Somehow that spot has the feeling of sacred ground to us now.

Our neighborhood had that sacred aspect as we looked out at the 21 luminaries around our yard that loved ones had placed in your memory. Dan crawled back into bed after a 4am Kirby pit stop and nudged me to report “Morgan’s birthday candles are still burning bright”.

And you did my little Morgan; you burned so bright and shiney. Perhaps such incandescence is only meant to last for a short while.
I don’t understand the place we live now. The tsunami of love we have received in the last few days leaves us breathless and humble.  If we can find enough faith to let this flow over us and not block it, the fact that you were, that Morgan Harrington lived, will really change the world.

An amazing meteor ride you are taking us on, as you leave Morgan.  We are holding tight. Take us where you will.  Love abides.

2 41

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »

Your memorial at the bridge in Charlottesville had balloons and more cake, and prayers and laughter and I lay on the sidewalk after and did the ugly cry and stroked the pictures of your face. Somehow that spot has the feeling of sacred ground to us now.

~ Peter Frampton
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »

I can never read Gil's words without tears... an angelic monkey  2 4 1

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2010, 09:47:53 PM »

I can never read Gil's words without tears... an angelic monkey  2 4 1

I second that. I try to read every post in here and always end up crying.
The whole thing is just so sad.

2 4 1
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2010, 06:59:46 AM »

http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2010/07/27/morgan-harrington-birthday-memorial/
  Photos from Morgan Harrington birthday memorial
by Courteney Stuart
published 2:21pm Tuesday Jul 27, 2010
Supporters of the Harrington family gathered Saturday, July 24 on the Copeley Road Bridge to remember murder victim Morgan Harrington, who would have turned 21 that day. Slide Show  http://www.readthehook.com/galleries/g/marking-morgan-harringtons-birthday#http://www.readthehook.com/galleries/sites/default/files/imagecache/mainview/galleries/photophile-morganbirthday-prayer.JPG

Dan Harrington, who made a surprise appearance on the bridge, holds up a quilt made by a group who calls themselves Morgan's Warriors.
Supporters of Morgan Harrington gathered July 24, 2010 on what should have been the young woman's 21st birthday to offer support to the Harrington family and pray for an arrest in the case. Harrington disappeared from the John Paul Jones Arena after attending an October 17 Metallica show. Her remains were discovered three months later on a remote Albemarle County farm. While police have linked the case to a 2005 sexual assault in Fairfax and have released a composite sketch of a suspect in that case, they have made no arrest.

~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2010, 02:30:17 PM »

REMINDER:

The forum goes down today at.....

4pm PST
6pm Central Time
7pm Eastern Time

It will be down for at least 6 hours but it may be down longer.......

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52:48 PM »

Gil Harrington’s thoughts from July 28th, 2010
  On July - 28 - 2010ADD COMMENTS

Perspective sometimes flows along smoothly and other times chinks and jumps like gears on a tank. We had that little click of perspective change this week with Morgan’s car.

Until recently, seeing Morgan’s car parked in the driveway was a comfort for us; a comfort with a few barbs to be truthful. I’d drive up and the reflexive lift,” Oh, Morgan is home” was nice, but too quickly followed by the reality that no, she is not and never will be here again. Even so, it was good to see Morgan’s car here for 9 months. It gave us a sense that things were where they should be.

These are the games you play with yourself. “Its OK – everything is in its right place, oh yeah, except your daughter, but not to worry. Every other thing is exactly where it should be.” It only took 9 months, 2 jumps, and 1 battery replacement for me to get it. All right, I can let go of this too.

It makes us sad, another piece of Morgan to let go of. Now we have an empty driveway to go with the empty bedroom upstairs. Rather than sit in that sorrow we have gifted Morgan’s car in a way that will lift and transform another.

Perhaps it is evidence of healing that we are able to tune in again to the wisdom of flow and be willing to relinquish things that have served their purpose. Are we supposed to extrapolate from this some insight about Morgan and the meaning her life?  She came; she lived, and left after she had fulfilled her purpose?  A wedge to open us up and unravel our tangles and then knit us back together into new tighter more complex and intricate cloth?

~ Peter Frampton
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »

Heartbreaking
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.