March 28, 2024, 07:55:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morgan Dana Harrington #2 7/1/10 -  (Read 727375 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2010, 06:17:20 PM »

http://findmorgan.com/category/upcoming-events
OCTOBER 8, 2010
Orphan Medical Network International (OMNI) presents the 4th Annual Roanoke BLUZ Over Africa Concert featuring Colin Dussault’s Blues Project

Tickets: www.jeffcenter.org

Roanoke, Virginia

Time: TBD

The concert proceeds will fund construction of the Morgan Harrington Educational Wing at the OMNI Village in Ndola, Zambia.

OMNI www.omnimissions.com is a 5013C organization

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #221 on: October 01, 2010, 07:05:42 AM »

http://missmba.wordpress.com/2010/09/30/484/

Ladies, look out for each other. Please.
September 30, 2010 in Charlottesville, Fear, Violence

Almost every day, I pass by a dead girl.

Morgan Harrington’s smiling face stares right at me whenever I drive, walk or run by it. Her memorial, on a bridge less than a quarter mile from my house, is a daily reminder that bad things can happen to women like me.

Morgan Harrington was a Virginia Tech student who disappeared at the beginning of last school year after a Metallica concert on UVA’s campus. Her body was found three months later on a farm outside Charlottesville. Her killer hasn’t been.

But she was last seen on that bridge near my house, and so that’s where her memorial sprung up. It started out with Tibetan prayer flags, candles, flowers, pictures of her smiling face and posters pleading for help bringing Morgan home. Since her body was discovered, the posters now as for help in finding her killer.

We’d like to think Morgan’s story is an extreme outlier, especially in a small town like Charlottesville. But our cozy community was rocked in the spring by the death of UVA fourth-year Yeardley Love, who police believe was beaten to death by her ex-boyfriend George Huguely. And this week UVA administrators warned students that it appears there is a man lurking around campus who has attacked two women in the last month.
This gives me chills, as it would any woman who thinks about it too closely. Women try to forget about things like this – things like the fact that 1 in 3 women have been abused at some point in their lifetime and 1 in 6 have been the victims of rape. (Department of Health stats)

But you remember them when you’re walking alone on a dark street and hear footsteps behind you. Or when you meet another woman and get that feeling that something isn’t right – maybe it’s the long sleeves in July.

Right then, if you’re a woman, you shiver. And as soon as you can, you forget again.

That’s part of the problem. I don’t think women should live in fear, seeing boogey men around every dark corner, but when we forget entirely, we put each other at risk. Morgan separated herself from her friends at the Metallica concert. Reports suggest Yeardley’s friends knew her ex often got out of line. And one of the two girls who was recently assaulted near campus was walking home alone after midnight.

Why don’t we take better care of each other? Because stepping up makes us uncomfortable. We don’t like to think violence happens to women we know and we definitely don’t like to think it can happen to us. That is why the stories of Morgan and Yeardley hit close to home.  They are women like us.

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month( http://dvam.vawnet.org/), a good time to start paying attention to each other. It can stop violence. One example? That creepy guy who’s still lurking around UVA’s campus tried to assault another girl in a frat house pantry this month. Her friends were nearby, heard her screams and ran to help.
Proof that looking out for each other can make all the difference.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #222 on: October 04, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #223 on: October 04, 2010, 01:23:56 PM »

2 4 1
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #224 on: October 05, 2010, 07:01:55 AM »

http://findmorgan.com/category/family-blog
Gil Harrington’s thoughts from October 4th, 2010
  On October - 4 - 2010ADD COMMENTS

A psychic 2×4 lurks around the house, waiting to catch you unaware so it can deliver such a smack. It caught me square and leveled me last night. I was scrabbling in an unaccustomed cabinet for a little used pan and I couldn’t get the door open. Without even thinking, on automatic, my hands knew to pull only a half inch and insert index finger to depress the plastic spring mechanism of the baby lock. We tried to keep Morgan so safe from harm, hot burners, sharp knives, fast cars, influenza, cavities. The mantra was always protect, protect, protect. How could we ever have imagined we needed to protect her from murder? Unbelievable to me still. Ridiculous that a silly little plastic baby cabinet lock has lasted longer than the baby it was installed to protect – our beloved and grievously mourned baby girl, Morgan Dana Harrington.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #225 on: October 05, 2010, 07:04:49 AM »

2 4 1 Justice for Morgan!

~ Peter Frampton
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #226 on: October 05, 2010, 11:49:20 AM »

2 4 1 Shiny girl.  Justice for Morgan and peace for her family.

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #227 on: October 05, 2010, 03:12:40 PM »

Gil Harrington’s thoughts from October 4th, 2010
  On October - 4 - 2010ADD COMMENTS

A psychic 2×4 lurks around the house, waiting to catch you unaware so it can deliver such a smack. It caught me square and leveled me last night. I was scrabbling in an unaccustomed cabinet for a little used pan and I couldn’t get the door open. Without even thinking, on automatic, my hands knew to pull only a half inch and insert index finger to depress the plastic spring mechanism of the baby lock. We tried to keep Morgan so safe from harm, hot burners, sharp knives, fast cars, influenza, cavities. The mantra was always protect, protect, protect. How could we ever have imagined we needed to protect her from murder? Unbelievable to me still. Ridiculous that a silly little plastic baby cabinet lock has lasted longer than the baby it was installed to protect – our beloved and grievously mourned baby girl, Morgan Dana Harrington.

That just did me in    I still have a cabinet that is in our dining room that still has baby locks on it, we never took it off of it for some reason, and whenever I go in their think about when the girls were little. How very sad.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »

http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?cat=1991704080566501&act=post&pid=12030610103574644
Copeley bridge cleared for UVA's Morgan Harrington memorial
by Ashley Kinney, October 6th 11:14am

The flowers and signs placed on Copeley bridge in remembrance of Morgan Harrington are being removed by UVA and sent to the Virginia Tech student’s parents, according to NBC29.  Harrington, who disappeared last year after a Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones arena, was last seen on this bridge. Her remains were found in January of this year.

On the year anniversary of her disappearance, October 17, UVA will dedicate a permanent memorial to Harrington at the same site. The UVA Board of Visitors approved the memorial's design during a September 14 meeting. Events at UVA will also include the screening of a film about one of Harrington's teachers, dedicated to Harrington, and a formal reception. Gil Harrington told C-VILLE that her family plans to attend the dedication ceremony.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #229 on: October 07, 2010, 09:20:53 AM »

http://www.leagle.com/unsecure/news.do?feed=yellowbrix&storyid=150701784
'89 UVa rapist violates probation 
The Daily Progress  October 6, 2010
By Tasha Kates, The Daily Progress, Charlottesville, Va.

Oct. 06--A Rochester, N.Y., man who served 20 years in prison for the 1989 beating and rape of a University of Virginia law school student has been convicted of violating his probation for leaving a voicemail for a woman whom he was not supposed to contact.

Judge Jay T. Swett sentenced Jeffrey Theodore Kitze to the time he has served since his arrest, which court records show was in June. The judge noted that Kitze will remain at the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail because he still faces a parole violation charge.

Kitze, 49, was convicted in 1994 of the rape and malicious wounding of a UVa law student. Authorities have said he had been in town with his parents to attend his sister's graduation from the law school.

The day after graduation, police have said, Kitze entered the victim's Ivy apartment and hit her in the head with a small tire iron before and after raping her. The computer programmer for Xerox Corp. told police that the attack happened because he had an irresistible impulse to hurt the victim, whom he had met the day before the attack.

Kitze was sentenced to 50 years in prison with 15 years of that sentence suspended. Defense attorney Scott Goodman said in court that Kitze was released on parole in January 2009 and was returned to Charlottesville, where he started his own computer repair business known for its low prices and volunteered with Virginia Organizing (formerly the Virginia Organizing Project).

Jeffrey T. Lenert, Kitze's probation officer, testified Tuesday that two incidents involving contact with women involved in the nonprofit group caused the probation officer to forbid Kitze from going to Virginia Organizing and from directly contacting anyone associated with it.
Lenert said in court he was notified last year that a woman involved with the nonprofit filed a stalking complaint against Kitze because she said he sent a sexually suggestive e-mail after she had rebuffed his advances. The woman told authorities that she wasn't in fear of Kitze, Lenert said, so charges weren't pressed.

A second woman involved with Virginia Organizing told authorities that Kitze sent her an e-mail after she declined to go out with him, Lenert said, and she gave him a more forceful response indicating that she didn't want to date. Lenert testified that Kitze went into her workplace several times, said hello to her and repeatedly asked her if she knew his name. The woman told Lenert that she didn't want to make a big deal out of what happened.

On Nov. 23, Lenert said, he presented a letter from the head of Virginia Organizing to Kitze. The letter asked Kitze not to contact the nonprofit's interns, volunteers or staff and to stay off the property. The probation officer testified that his resulting warning fell under a probation condition that said Kitze must follow all of Lenert's instructions.

Lenert said Tuesday in court that he got a call in May from an intern for Virginia Organizing who had met Kitze through the agency. The woman, who Lenert said worked at a Charlottesville coffee shop that Kitze had been asking to go into, told authorities that she received an angry voicemail from Kitze that warned her to stop telling people about his sex offender status.
Goodman argued that a voicemail was indirect contact. The judge later ruled that had the woman picked up the phone, it would have counted as direct contact.

Lenert also testified that a UVa first-year student and a volunteer with a group involved with Virginia Organizing filed a complaint against Kitze after he had unwanted contact with her. Kitze ultimately wasn't charged, authorities said.

Theodore Kitze, Jeffrey Kitze's father, testified that he thought his son had been doing well until they learned of the probation violation charge.

"Unfortunately, it came as a big shock to us," he said.

Prior to being sentenced, Jeffrey Kitze said he was at fault for what had happened and said he wanted to take responsibility for it. He told the court he left the voicemail because he said she told people about his history and that he was involved in Morgan Harrington's disappearance. "I was concerned about my safety," Jeffrey Kitze said.

Lenert said in court that Kitze, whose GPS unit showed him at the Harris Teeter supermarket closest to UVa the night of the Metallica concert from which Harrington disappeared, was questioned after the Virginia Tech student vanished but excluded as a suspect through DNA and a polygraph.
While sentencing the defendant, the judge ruled that Jeffrey Kitze must accept that he was convicted of a major offense and will "have a scarlet letter" attached to him for the rest of his life.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #230 on: October 07, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/UVa_Announces_Plans_for_Morgan_Harrington_Anniversary_Event_104514994.html
Posted: 4:01 PM Oct 7, 2010

UVa Announces Plans for Morgan Harrington Anniversary Event
A dedication ceremony for a plaque and a film honoring Morgan Dana Harrington will take place on Oct. 17, the one-year anniversary of her disappearance
Email Address: news@newsplex.com
October 7, 2010

A dedication ceremony for a plaque honoring the memory of Morgan Dana Harrington will take place at 2pm on Oct. 17, the one-year anniversary of her disappearance following the Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena.

The plaque will be installed on Copeley Bridge, where she was last seen alive.

The ceremony will be followed by a 3pm showing in Newcomb Hall Theater of "A Gift for the Village," a film that has been dedicated to Harrington, and a reception in the theater lobby.

The film's creator, Jane Vance, taught Morgan Harrington at Virginia Tech, and Harrington appears briefly in the film

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #231 on: October 08, 2010, 07:22:36 AM »

2 4 1

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2010, 07:18:14 AM »

Gil Harrington’s thoughts from October 10th, 2010
We have lived in this home for almost 20 years.  Morgan came to this house as a babe in arms and learned how to walk here with her soft baby feet, tip toeing around.

In the considerable span of our occupation we have had only a few episodes of bird interaction.  I think I can remember two or three times a small sparrow got through the door to our screened deck and had to be redirected back to the doorway and freedom.   That is really about it for the bird contact here.  I do put out seed for the pleasure of watching the birds eat and realize, as I do, the decadence of the ritual as human beings in Zambia would be most pleased to have the sustenance of this throw away food.

That has been the extent of my interaction with birds here; I feed, I watch with pleasure as they eat, (in truth the squirrels mostly eat but they are beautiful and worth watching also).  About two months ago, it started happening – bird strikes, frequent and relentless!  Mourning doves slamming into the windows of the house; pressed on the glass over my kitchen sink is the imprint of a cushioned downey bird’s breast and outstretched wings. – an otherworldly Rorschach of desperation.

At first I felt uneasy that it happened so much; birds pelting the house with their bodies.  I would buff off the eerie smudges their impact left from every window. I never find any bodies under the window point of contact but our house is festooned by the marks.  Our living room window has the 2 4 1 dots on it in reflective discs; five bird strikes prints circle the 2 4 1 emblem.

This phenomenon was disturbing to me until a wise friend explained, “of course it is happening and no, it is not Morgan at the window crashing into the glass seeking re-entry, but it is a type of Morgan energy still present and reactive. You cannot stop yourself from the heart cry of searching and pleading you put out as Morgan’s parents any more than the birds can stop themselves from responding.  The visceral gut level screeching summons you emanate must be answered by the universe in some way.”

I see bird strikes. I understand and am grateful but wish instead that the very rocks and tress would rise up and move to spit out the abomination, poison, of a monster who wrung the life from our golden bird, Morgan Dana Harrington

2 4 1

~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »

Harrington's parents have worked to turn their heartbreak to others' benefit
Monday, October 11, 2010
Morgan Harrington's body was found in January, and since that time her parents have worked to turn their heartbreak to others' benefit.

Shattered bones. A hollowed skull.

Morgan Harrington's killer reduced the 20-year-old Roanoke County native to this, an image her mother can't shake.

In the year since Morgan Harrington, a Virginia Tech junior, disappeared at a Metallica concert at the University of Virginia, parents Gil and Dan Harrington have worked to celebrate their daughter's generous spirit and make sure she is remembered as a gorgeous blond with sparking eyes.

"For us, it's kind of trumping evil," Gil Harrington said. Her killer "doesn't win if we can make it into a good thing."

The Harringtons have met with UVa's president to encourage the university to raise awareness of violence. They've spoken at campus rallies to denounce violence against women.

They've lobbied Congress to restore funding for a missing person organization.

They've helped establish a memorial scholarship at Virginia Tech-Carilion Medical School, where Dan Harrington is the vice president of graduate medical education.

And they took Morgan's passion for teaching halfway across the world to Africa, where a three-classroom building, named for Morgan, is under construction in Zambia.

Morgan disappeared after leaving the John Paul Jones Arena alone at the concert. Her body was found in January, 11 miles away on a farm. Authorities declared her death homicide, but haven't publicly said the cause of her death.

Her killer, likely the same man who abducted and sexually assaulted a woman in Fairfax five years earlier, hasn't been caught.

Evidence from where Harrington's body was discovered linked the slaying to the Fairfax suspect, whose sketch was drawn by a police artist there. Detectives said they don't know the man's identity.

Virginia state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said Friday that authorities have no new developments in the investigation to discuss.

Ongoing coverage
Police search for Morgan Harrington's killer
On Oct. 17, the anniversary of Morgan's disappearance, UVa plans to dedicate a plaque to Morgan on the Copley Bridge in Charlottesville, the last place where she was known to have been seen alive. It will be a marker in her memory, a reminder to all those who pass to be safe, Dan Harrington said.

Staying busy, first with the search for Morgan, and more recently with building her legacy, have pushed the Harringtons forward.

The days are more tolerable when they are busy. There is less time for Gil to imagine Morgan's death over and over in her head, to wonder how much pain she endured.

In the weeks after Morgan's disappearance, the couple focused on the media, sitting through numerous interviews, many with national news outlets. They turned to social media to spread pictures of their "shiny" girl.

Neighbors brought them dinner. Friends organized vigils. People from across the world mailed letters of support.

The Harringtons also received calls from interest groups that offered help in exchange for the rights to Morgan's story, or for the Harringtons' endorsement of a product, Gil said.

"You realize right away that there's not really an infrastructure" to help families, she said.

In November, the Harringtons traveled to Washington, sharing their story with members of Congress and asking them to restore funding for the National Center for Missing Adults, a federally mandated organization that helps families and law enforcement.

The idea that someone snatched Morgan outside the UVa arena cast fear into their lives. In the refuge of their North Roanoke County home, the Harringtons triple-checked locked doors. The darkness of the nights made them uncomfortable.

"Even taking the dog out at night, there was a feeling of being unsafe," Dan Harrington said.

Among news conferences, vigils and searches, the parents' anxiety, grief and questions grew.

When snow blanketed Southwest Virginia in December, they said they found it hard to see its beauty.

"Wonder if Morgan is cold -- is snow falling on her face -- or is her face covered by leaves in a shallow grave being hidden by the snow," Gil Harrington wrote on her blog Dec. 20.

"I glance out the window and see the crimson blaze of a cardinal at the bird feeder -- my heart leaps for a second at the beauty -- then I think its feathers look like blood in the snow. Is that what Morgan's blood looks like in the snow?"

More than a month later, on Jan. 26, a farmer checking his fences discovered a decomposed body in a seldom-tended field.

The Harringtons drove to Charlottesville, drawn there "like a magnet," Gil said. She pleaded with Virginia State Police to take her to the site.

"I just wanted to breathe the air there," she said.

Police wouldn't let her go because it was a crime scene, but offered to fly the parents over the location in a helicopter.

From the gray sky, they could see tents covering the area where Morgan's body lay.

"It was so big," Gil Harrington said. "You were immediately aware that this was not an easy place to put her."

When the remains were returned to the Harringtons, Gil held her daughter's dry, rough rib bones. She peered into Morgan's empty skull.

"I am not sure if I am just wired strangely, but like a dog, I want to roll in it," Gil wrote in a March 8 blog post. "I want to experience every single aspect of Morgan's murder and death -- feel her bones, wear her shoes, and sniff her clothes. I am not sure if I am trying to imprint the last of her indelibly in my mind, or if I indulge in such intimacies to try to have the reality of her absence penetrate my disbelief."

The discovery of Morgan's shattered bones didn't bring closure. Nothing will. Gil likens it to an amputation.

"You are always aware of and wishing for your missing limb," she wrote on the blog Feb. 24.

The parents also were increasingly aware of what they see as the acceptance of violence, and wanted to change that.

In April, Dan Harrington spoke out about rape and violence against women at the Take Back the Night rally at UVa.

"We pray for the day that a young girl does not have to be at risk, is not blamed when they are the victim, and does not become a statistic," he told the students.

The Harringtons later met with university President Teresa Sullivan to urge her to address violence on campuses.

"It's not a lovely thing," Gil Harrington said. "You don't want to think that people are getting hurt."

The Harringtons' message resonated with the university, spokeswoman Carol Wood said.

"They were very clear from the beginning that they wanted to especially alert young women to the dangers," Wood said. "That is a message we picked up very quickly."

Last month, the university drew attention to three attacks with a campuswide e-mail and a news conference.

The university also held a Day of Dialogue, a discussion about violence, prevention and safety.

Students formed the group Let's Get Grounded. It encourages students not to tolerate violence or drug and alcohol abuse.

The Harringtons' work also has taken Morgan's story to Zambia, in southern Africa. Gil, a nurse, regularly travels on medical missions there to work at the Orphan Medical Network International. The group has helped build classrooms, and its founder, Karen ReMine, had an idea to build and dedicate new classrooms in Morgan's name.

In April, Gil Harrington travelled to Zambia to break ground on the Morgan Dana Harrington educational wing.

She took a packet of Morgan's cremation ashes, which she sprinkled at the site of the building's foundation during a memorial service.

Morgan wanted to become a teacher, but Gil Harrington said she doubts that Morgan would have reached children in Zambia.

"In a convoluted way, she will probably do more good in this life than she would have alive," her mother said.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/263463

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »

Thanks Nut. 

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2010, 06:52:56 AM »

2 4 1 Justice For Morgan

~ Peter Frampton
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2010, 11:38:44 AM »

So beautiful.....2 4 1  an angelic monkey

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #237 on: October 13, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/UVa_Announces_Plans_for_Morgan_Harrington_Anniversary_Event_104514994.html
Updated: 11:25 AM Oct 13, 2010
UVa Finalizes Plans for Morgan Harrington Anniversary Event
A dedication ceremony for a plaque and a film honoring Morgan Dana Harrington will take place on Oct. 17, the one-year anniversary of her disappearance

Posted: 11:25 AM Oct 13, 2010
Email Address: news@newsplex.com
October 13, 2010

The life and memory of Morgan Dana Harrington will be honored with several events at the University of Virginia on Sunday.

Harrington, a 20-year-old Virginia Tech education major from Roanoke, disappeared on Oct. 17, 2009, after leaving the Metallica concert at John Paul Jones Arena. Her remains were found in January on a farm about eight miles away.

No arrest has been made in connection with her death.

A dedication ceremony for a plaque installed in her memory will take place at 2pm on the Copeley Road Bridge, the last place she was reported to have been seen alive. Her parents, Dr. Daniel P. Harrington and Gil Harrington, will speak at the ceremony, and Dr. Arthur Garson Jr., UVa's executive vice president and provost, will unveil the plaque and deliver remarks. Morgan's brother, Alex Harrington, also will attend.

The family has strong University of Virginia ties. Dr. Harrington completed his residency at the University of Virginia Medical Center and now works at Carilion Clinic in Roanoke, with dual appointments at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and the UVa. School of Medicine. Gil Harrington is a 1979 graduate of the University's School of Nursing, and Alex Harrington is a 2009 graduate of the College of Arts & Sciences.

"The plaque will honor Morgan in a permanent way," said Patricia M. Lampkin, vice president and chief student affairs officer at UVa., "We also hope it will remind our students of the potential for danger anywhere, at any time, and will encourage us all to take care of one another."

A screening of the film "A Gift for the Village" will follow at 3pm in Newcomb Hall Theater. The documentary follows artist Jane Vance, who taught Morgan Harrington at Virginia Tech, on a trip to western Nepal to deliver a painting. Morgan Harrington appears briefly in the film, which is dedicated to her.

Vance and six friends traveled from the Blue Ridge Mountains to Nepal to deliver her painting about Tsampa, a Tibetan amchi-lama, doctor and mind-healer. She is the first woman and first Westerner to be commissioned to produce such a piece. The village welcomed the team with an elaborate festival celebrating the artist, the work and the man it honors.

A selection of Vance's colorful and intricately detailed paintings will be on display in the theater lobby, where a reception will follow the screening.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2010, 04:56:05 PM »

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/oct/14/killer-cannot-erase-goodness-morgan-harringtons-pa-ar-562574/
Killer cannot erase goodness, Harrington's parents say
By STAFF, AP REPORTS
Published: October 14, 2010

Morgan Harrington's parents will speak this weekend at a memorial in Charlottesville.

The parents of slain Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington appeared on NBC's "Today"  show this morning and said they understand it takes time for "dogged police work" to prevail in the search for their daughter's killer.

Dan and Gil Harrington were interviewed in advance of Sunday's one-year anniversary of the 20-year-old's disappearance after she left a Metallica concert at John Paul Jones Arena at the University of Virginia.

Her remains were found three months later in a rural area near Charlottesville, and since then a forensic link has been established to an unidentified suspect sought in a 2005 sexual assault and abduction in Fairfax County

Dan Harrington said "the case really has not moved much beyond when we found the forensic link was made," but the Harringtons praised police, whom they described as "not only professional, but compassionate."
They told "Today" about their daughter's interest in going to Africa for the Orphan Medical Network International Children's Village in Zambia, where Gil Harrington visited and spread some of Morgan's ashes. OMNI has helped build classrooms, and its founder, Karen ReMine, had an idea to build and dedicate new classrooms in Morgan's name.

Harrington's killer "stopped her life but he did not stop the goodness" Morgan Harrington set out to accomplish, said Gil Harrington.

On Sunday, U.Va. will install a memorial marker at the Copley Road bridge where she was last seen alive.

U.Va. officials say Harrington's parents will speak at the dedication of the marker. A screening of a documentary called "A Gift for the Village," which is dedicated to her, also will be shown.

This spring, the Harringtons went to U.Va. to speak out against violence against women.

Gil Harrington said U.Va. has made progress in working with students on safety issues and encouraging them to "act together as community to look out for each other."

~ Peter Frampton
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2010, 03:39:34 PM »

NEW BLINK POST:

http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/10/14/inspiring-vigilance-the-murder-of-morgan-harrington-one-year-later/

Inspiring Vigilance: The Murder Of Morgan Harrington One Year Later

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.