March 28, 2024, 04:28:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morgan Dana Harrington #2 7/1/10 -  (Read 727355 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #280 on: November 18, 2010, 08:57:44 PM »

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/virginia/va-doesnt-need-dna-search-law.html
Va. doesn't need DNA search law: Panel 11/16/10
By the Associated Press

Virginia likely won't need a new law allowing a controversial form of DNA searches but lawmakers may want to create guidelines for when those searches can be conducted, members of a legislative panel said Monday.

The Forensic Science Board, which oversees the state Department of Forensic Science, had sought guidance from legislators over whether to proceed with familial DNA searches, which help identify criminal suspects using genetic material from their relatives.

Last month the board passed a measure asking lawmakers to consider implementing and funding the searches.

At a hearing Monday, several lawmakers on the Virginia State Crime Commission said the state's law regarding DNA searches already allows the new technique. The panel heard from proponents of the searches, including prosecutors and the father of a Virginia Tech student killed last year.

Commission chairwoman Sen. Janet Howell, D-Fairfax, said legislators likely would approve the estimated $100,000 expense for software needed to perform the searches. She said lawmakers may want to help set up guidelines for when the searches could be performed, such as only in violent crimes where other investigative leads have been exhausted.
Department Director Pete Marone has cautioned against moving forward without guidance from the legislature. The searches can be costly, and many states have been slow to allow such searches amid privacy and other concerns.

Familial DNA searches are used in California and Colorado. Maryland and the District of Columbia strictly prohibit them.

"This is not a science issue. The science is very clear," Marone said. "The Department of Forensic Science can do the work. The question becomes should we do the work ... then at what level and how do we perform it?"

Marone said the department would continue looking at available software and examining what other states do until a final go-ahead is received from the legislature.

Where traditional DNA searches seek exact matches of biological evidence left at a crime scene and a profile of an offender already in a DNA database, familial DNA searches deliberately seek out near-matches that could be a parent, child or sibling of the suspect. Police use the search results as investigative leads and determine if the relative of the person in the database could have committed the crime. If there is reason to believe so, they get a DNA sample from that suspect to compare to the DNA from the crime.
The technique gained attention last summer after it was credited with identifying a suspect in the so-called "Grim Sleeper" killings in California. Lonnie Franklin Jr. was charged with 10 counts of murder and other charges in killings between 1985 and 2007.

Prosecutors in Virginia hope such searches could lead to the so-called "East Coast Rapist," whose DNA is linked to attacks on 19 women in Virginia and three other states since 1997, and also help resolve the slaying of Morgan Harrington, 20. Her remains were found in January, months after she disappeared in Charlottesville.

No arrests have been made in Harrington's death, but state police said forensic evidence links her case to a 2005 rape in Fairfax.

"Although nothing we could ever do could ever bring back our daughter, with luck and science we hope that the person who killed our daughter will be brought to justice," Dan Harrington told the commission.

The crime commission could revisit the issue in December when it recommends legislation to the General Assembly.

It also is likely to vote then on whether to recommend an overhaul of the state's statutes regarding protective orders and to ban a type of synthetic marijuana -- two other issues it heard about during Monday's meeting.

Legislators have proposed expanding protective orders to those in dating relationships and requiring those under protective orders to be monitored by GPS, among other changes.
Several lawmakers have filed bills to ban "Spice" or "K2," a synthetic blend of chemically treated, smokable leaves that produce a high but are legally bought in convenience stores or online. A dozen other states have banned synthetic marijuana.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #281 on: November 23, 2010, 06:48:57 AM »

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/Police_Hope_New_Technology_Will_Convict_Morgan_Harringtons_Killer_109988809.html
Updated: 11:34 PM Nov 22, 2010
Police Hope New Technology Will Convict Morgan Harrington's Killer

Morgan Harrington disappeared last October. Thirteen months later, Virginia State Police took CBS19's Jessica Jaglois inside the murder investigation with a look at a new piece of forensic technology. They hope - with an arrest - the C10 Forensic Scanner can convict the killer.
Posted: 9:45 PM Nov 22, 2010
Reporter: Jessica Jaglois
Email Address: jessica.jaglois@newsplex.com
November 22, 2010

The C10 Forensic Scanner is a state-of-the-art piece of equipment that shows a high definition laser scan of an active or cold crime scene, like the one where Morgan Harrington was last seen.

"This piece of equipment would have been great if we'd had it [when Morgan Harrington first disappeared] because maybe we could have generated some new viewpoints. But we have it now and we have to utilize it the best we can," said Virginia State Police Lieutenant Joe Rader, who is heading the Harrington murder investigation.

VSP received the C10 Scanner in October and is currently the only agency in the Commonwealth to have one. However, its arrival comes long after Harrington disappeared while attending a Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena and was later found dead at a farm in Albemarle County. Now, the scanner is being used to retrace her steps on the night of Oct. 17, 2009.

"John Paul Jones Arena, Lannigan Field, Ivy Road intersection; that's a pretty good distance. Using this, we're able to put all that potential crime scene in a nice little package," said Lt. Rader.

With each flicker of a green light the scanner's laser is capturing 50,000 measurement points per second. It puts miles of potential crime scene in one picture, effectively freezing an area of interest in time and providing police with an exact replica. This helps investigators sift through leads to find out what happened the night Morgan disappeared.

"With the precision the scanner gives us in documenting a scene, we can basically fly them through the model spacing into the crime scene as it was when we were there," Lt. Rader explained.

Once an arrest is made, police hope they'll be able to show a courtroom how Morgan Harrington was murdered by actually animating her movements on that tragic October night.

"Other than the perp, we know no witnesses to the crime. If we had a witness that saw her get into the car, get out of the car or being dumped at the farm, we'd have something to work with. But we don't have that right now," said Lt. Rader.

What they do have, however, is the C10 Forensic Scanner and a new way for investigators and jurors to eventually see a crime that no one witnessed.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »

2 4 1 Justice For Morgan

~ Peter Frampton
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2010, 01:11:10 PM »

Justice for Morgan   Peace for her family.

2  4  1

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #284 on: November 27, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »

Thank You, Trimm for all the updates. an angelic monkey
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #285 on: November 30, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/cms/story.php?id=2600
Virginia could become 3rd state to use familial DNA searches
Some concerned practice could stigmatize those related to criminals
by Gregg MacDonald | Staff Writer
Wednesday December 1, 2010
Virginia soon might become the third state nationwide to regularly utilize familial DNA searches, joining California and Colorado, according to the Virginia Crime Commission.

The Commission, chaired by state Sen. Janet Howell (D-Fairfax) of McLean, met Nov. 15 to discuss implementing the genetic search procedure as a tool for law enforcement throughout the commonwealth.

"We looked at the legalities and everyone agreed we should do it," she said. "We are encouraging forensic scientists to go ahead."

As opposed to searching for exact DNA matches in an effort to narrow down the search for an alleged killer or rapist, the somewhat controversial "familial" procedure tests for "close" DNA matches within prison populations, ex-convict records and other databases, in an effort to find those related to suspects whose DNA already is on file.

"It would be useful in cases where you already have DNA of unknown origin from a crime scene," said Gil Harrington, mother of 20-year-old Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington, who was killed last year in Charlottesville. In June, an unidentified man wanted for a 2005 sexual assault in Fairfax City became an unexpected lead in Harrington case when Virginia State Police said state lab results indicated a DNA match between the two cases. Since then, the case has hit a dead end.

According to Harrington, using a familial DNA search could unearth clues to her daughter's killer
The thought is that people who commit crimes often come from a culture of crime and family involvement. If you find family members, you can do interrogations and questioning and find who the suspect is," she said.

"And it could help in other cases, such as the so-called 'East-Coast rapist' case," added her husband, Dan Harrington.

According to Howell, no state laws need be changed or introduced to begin implementing the genetic searches.

They already are allowed by virtue of current Virginia state code 19.2-310.5, which states: "The results of an analysis and comparison of the identification characteristics from two or more samples of human biological evidence shall be made available directly to federal, state and local law enforcement officers upon request made in furtherance of an official investigation of any criminal offense."

Colorado might donate the $100,000 software needed for analysis, according to Howell, limiting the cost of analysis to around $4,500 per each search.

"It would be a valuable tool for us to be able to be used in our arsenal," said Col. Steve Sellers of the Fairfax County Police Department. "It potentially could be a way for us to reduce the amount of resources that are used on active cases, and most especially on cold cases."

But Kent Willis of the Virginia ACLU said the procedure, although not inherently invasive, easily could become so. "Familial DNA searches are not a magic elixir to solve crime," he said. "It will not radically change crime-solving."

Willis argues the procedure could be beneficial in a "very strict and narrow way" but the potential for misuse and overuse cannot be ignored. "There is a sort of 'guilt by genetic association' that could easily come about," he said. "If someone related to a suspect is detected, that person could easily become stigmatized and could even wind up losing their job."
Willis said that although familial DNA searches do not require any legislation or changes to Virginia law to be utilized, the State General Assembly could impose guidelines and stringent oversight as to its use.

"DNA analysis is only ever used on the worst of the worst cases. It is not used on minor crime cases," Sellers said. "I for one believe it is a tool for good."

Howell said the Virginia Crime Commission currently is putting together a task force to come up with procedures for the use of Familial DNA searches within the Commonwealth. According to Howell, the task force will consist of members of the Attorney General's office; the Virginia Department of Forensic Science; the Virginia Defense Attorney's Bar and select prosecutors.

gmacdonald@fairfaxtimes.com

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #286 on: November 30, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »

Thank You, Trimm for all the updates. an angelic monkey

You're welcome. 

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #287 on: December 01, 2010, 04:31:32 PM »

http://findmorgan.com/category/family-blog
Gil Harrington’s thoughts from November 30th, 2010On November - 29 - 20102 COMMENTS
TO COMPOSITE GUY:

How could you hurt her
how could you murder
our Morgan girl
take her from this world?
But
no way, no how
can you hurt my baby now.
Some day
some way
you’re gonna haveta pay.
Coz
no way, no how
is there a god that would allow
you to escape somehow.

I reckon a reckoning is due
retribution is coming to you.
I’ll wait
for your fate,
mercy decimated
by how you hated.
I hear tell
paybacks are hell
whether of fire or prison cell
and that’s just where you’ll go
for killing our precious girl – Mogo

~ Peter Frampton
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2010, 05:38:34 PM »

Peace for this good family.  Justice for Morgan.

2 4 1

Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #289 on: December 08, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »

I love this science.
2 4 1 Morgan.
Her family is so strong, so loving.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #290 on: December 09, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »

Gil Harrington’s thoughts from December 9th, 2010
This Christmas season has been especially sharp for me. I couldn’t figure out exactly why. It wasn’t just the feeling that we are so outside the celebratory jolly-ness of the holidays. That exclusion is a bit sad, but not painful. It finally dawned on me yesterday; it’s the cold, the pervasive bitter cold. Last year Morgan’s body had not been found by this time. We desperately clung to the fantasy that Morgan was alive somewhere and each cold night or snowfall was a torture as we imagined Morgan exposed to the elements and suffering. She was indeed exposed to the elements, but her suffering was long past. I am so very grateful to have that knowledge.

There is almost a PTSD quality to our feelings right now. We’re cycling fast. Initially, shock and disbelief are like insulation and protect you from feeling too much. As those feelings have dissipated we’ve been hit full on with much emotion over Morgan’s death this winter. The extremely low temperatures and strong winds also leave me breathless with eyes and nose streaming every time I dash outside. The sensation of secretions pouring down my face has me constantly feeling like I am recovering from a crying jag and it hurts like before. It seems that the tissues of my eyes, the skin of my cheeks don’t differentiate between wind driven tears and tears of heartbreak. Both leave me spent.

People want us to get over it. Hell, we want to get over it. But we are different people now, irrevocably changed by the murder of our daughter. The constellations of friendships are reforming based upon other’s comfort level with our discomfort. That’s OK.  I’ve heard “get better or be bitter” I don’t think we are bitter, but know we are not better – at least not yet. We are working hard and I am immensely proud that we have survived the first year of our separation from Morgan. It may be that as those years stack up, the loss won’t feel as sharp, though I doubt it.

2 4 1

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #291 on: December 09, 2010, 07:31:31 PM »

Continued prayers for the Harrington family.  an angelic monkey
                            2 4 1

~ Peter Frampton
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #292 on: December 14, 2010, 02:52:21 AM »

To all the good Monkeys who keep this thread going. I have been following almost everyday at blinkoncrime but will start here too.

There is just something that smells about this whole case and I can't put my finger on what it is, but something is not right

Thanks and God Bless,

IBE

like the skater

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #293 on: December 14, 2010, 06:09:18 AM »

To all the good Monkeys who keep this thread going. I have been following almost everyday at blinkoncrime but will start here too.

There is just something that smells about this whole case and I can't put my finger on what it is, but something is not right

Thanks and God Bless,

IBE

like the skater

IBE, I totally agree with you.  I keep praying Blink and her team with unearth the truth that is lurking just below the surface.

Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #294 on: December 15, 2010, 06:49:57 PM »

Prayers for the Harrington family. 

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #295 on: December 21, 2010, 07:50:20 AM »

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/271408
Year in review: Top NRV stories of January 2010
12/21/10
Through the end of the year, we'll look back at a sampling of the top stories of 2010, month by month.
Harrington's body found, identified

For 101 days the parents of Morgan Harrington agonized over the unknown, tormented by thoughts of the "unspeakable things" a predator might be visiting upon their young, missing daughter. Jan.27, the day after her skeletal remains were found in a hayfield, Dan and Gil Harrington said their minds are, at last, at peace.

The Roanoke County couple now believe their daughter was killed the night she disappeared.

State police said the medical examiner's office in Richmond had used dental records to confirm that the decomposed body found on a sprawling Albemarle County farm 10 miles south of Charlottesville were all that remain of the pretty, blond Virginia Tech student.

While police said nothing more -- except to note that investigators are still trying to determine the cause and time of death -- Gil and Dan Harrington said they gather from conversations with investigators that their fears of captivity were never reality, that their daughter was killed the night she disappeared from a rock concert in Charlottesville, that the time she spent with her killer was, mercifully, short.

Morgan Harrington, 20, vanished Oct. 17, 2009, after leaving the John Paul Jones Arena, where she had gone with friends to see the band Metallica play. She was last seen south of the arena, trying to hitch a ride on the Copeley Road bridge.
<snipped>

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #296 on: December 21, 2010, 07:53:34 AM »

Gil Harrington’s thoughts from December 20, 2010
Our triangulated family

doesn’t have a Christmas tree

It was too hard you see

to contemplate what used to be

all the shattered memory

couldn’t stand the sharp torment

of baby crafted ornaments

But our home’s not scroogeish or bare

There’s still Christmas in the air

with candles and lights and flowers too

sometimes we cry

but we all try

strive to create a tradition that’s new

knowing Morgan, that it’s true

that your family honors you

by living fully, and so we do

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #297 on: December 21, 2010, 08:33:53 AM »

2 4 1 Justice For Morgan

~ Peter Frampton
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #298 on: December 21, 2010, 11:06:46 AM »

Peace for this good family, for Christmas......Justice for Shiny Girl Morgan.

Please.....

2 4 1

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #299 on: December 23, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2010/dec/23/morgans-warriors-taking-clarke-case-ar-733963/
Morgan's Warriors taking up Clarke case               an angelic monkey
By DREW JACKSON | Media General News Service
Published: December 23, 2010

~ Peter Frampton
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.