March 28, 2024, 05:17:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex-Manson Family Member Bruce Davis Recommended For Parole(DENIED!)  (Read 7263 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: January 29, 2010, 04:32:02 PM »

http://www.keyt.com/news/local/83045647.html

January 29, 2010
Ex-Manson Family Member Recommended For Parole

San Luis Obispo, CA-- Bruce Davis, an ex-member of the Charles Manson family, has been recommended for parole. Davis was convicted of murdering two people near Los Angeles.

The L.A. Times reports if released, Davis wants to live in Grover Beach with his wife and daughter.

The decision was on Thursday at Davis' 26th parole hearing in San Luis Obispo at the California Men's Colony.

Davis' freedom is now in the hands of the Governor and another parole board .

67-year-old Davis has been in prison since 1972 for the murders of musician Gary Hinman and stuntman Donald "Shorty" Shea.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:36:40 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/us/29brfs-ASTEPTOWARDP_BRF.html

National Briefing | West
California: A Step Toward Parole

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: January 28, 2010

A prison panel has recommended parole for Bruce Davis, a member of Charles Manson’s cult who participated in two killings. It is the first step in a process that requires approval by the governor and other parole board members. Mr. Davis, 67, was convicted in the murders of the musician Gary Hinman and Donald Shea. He was not involved in the murders of Sharon Tate and six others.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 04:37:19 PM »

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/01/28/Parole-recommended-for-ex-Manson-associate/UPI-97501264730615/
Parole recommended for ex-Manson associate
Published: Jan. 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/01/schwarzenegger-faces-tough-choice-release-manson-follower-from-prison.html

Schwarzenegger faces tough choice: Release Manson follower from prison?

January 29, 2010 |  7:36 am

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:00:12 PM »

http://www.legalinfo.com/legal-news/manson-family-member-approved-for-parole.html
Manson Family Member Approved For Parole
Monday, February 15th, 2010
A member of the Manson “family” has been recommended for parole after spending almost four decades behind bars.

Bruce Davis, 67, was convicted of two murders in the early 70s, and has been in prison since 1972. Now a two-member panel of the Board of Parole Hearings will recommend that he be set free, and the decision will go to California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s desk.

Davis was convicted on murder charges for his role in the killing spree which took the lives of two men, musician Gary Hinman and stuntman Donald “Shorty” Shea. Although Davis did not kill either of the men—in fact, he refused an order given to him by Manson to chop off Shea’s head—he did slash Shea on the shoulder and drove the car to the home in Topanga Canyon, outside of Los Angeles, where Hinman was killed. Davis was also on the scene when Shea was killed, at a communal home near the San Fernando Valley where the cult members lived.

Davis was not involved in the killings of pregnant actress Sharon Tate, or in the six other slayings committed by other members of the Manson family.

During his time in prison, Davis became a born-again Christian and earned both a master’s degree and a doctorate in philosophy of religion. He also married a woman whom he met through a prison ministry group, and the two have a grown daughter.

The only other paroled Manson family member, Steve Grogan, was released in 1985 after helping investigators find Shea’s burial site. Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme, another Manson follower who attempted an assassination on President Gerald Ford, was released from prison after serving time. Charles Manson and two other followers, Leslie Van Houten and Patricia Krenwinkel, remain in prison for the Tate killings. A third cult member involved in those killings, Susan Atkins, died last year, shortly after being denied parole.

Davis had been denied parole 23 times in a row, because he refused to acknowledge the full extent of his participation in the crimes. During the most recent parole hearing, however, Davis said he knows now that he helped encourage others to commit the murders.

“I was responsible as everyone there,” he told the board members.

Prosecutors in Los Angeles county could petition the governor to reject the parole, if he deems it a threat to public safety, but it is unclear whether this petition will be filed or if Davis will be allowed to go free. If he is paroled, he plans to live with his family in Grover Beach and work at a landscaping job.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:19:26 PM »

This is a big, huge mistake 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:57:55 PM »

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-manson-release-bruce-davis,0,1404339.story
D.A. Urges Governor to Reverse Parole of Manson Follower
Davis was tried and convicted of the murders of musician Gary Hinman and stuntman Donald 'Shorty' Shea in 1969.
April 30, 2010

LOS ANGELES -- District Attorney Steve Cooley is urging the governor today to reject parole for former Manson follower Bruce Davis.

The 67-year old Davis was found suitable for parole in January following a five-hour hearing.

Although Davis was never charged with the killings of actress Sharon Tate and six others, he was tried and convicted of the murders of musician Gary Hinman and stuntman Donald 'Shorty' Shea in 1969.

He was sentenced to two life terms.
The decision by a two-person parole panel still needs to be reviewed and approved by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The governor can accept or reverse the decision.

"I strongly oppose the release of inmate Bruce Davis and believe that he is an unreasonable parole risk and a danger to the public…," said Cooley in a letter to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Cooley noted that Davis "continues to minimize, rationalize and offer excuses" for his roles in the July 1969 murder of musician Gary Hinman in Topanga Canyon and the killing about a month later of Donald "Shorty" Shea, a stuntman who worked as a wrangler at the Spahn Ranch in Santa Susana Pass north of Chatsworth.

"The viciousness of the Gary Hinman and Shorty Shea murders, the relationship of those murders to an effort to incite a race war... and Bruce Davis's attempts to minimize his criminal responsibility make him an unreasonable risk of danger to society," Cooley told Schwarzenegger.

Shea's remains were later found buried near the Spahn movie ranch in Chatsworth, where Charles Manson and his disciples lived.

Davis was not involved with other Manson followers in the Aug. 9, 1969, murders of pregnant actress Sharon Tate and four others in a rented Benedict Canyon home, or the stabbing deaths of grocery store owner Leno La Bianca and his wife, Rosemary, a day later in their Los Feliz home.

Manson and most of his co-defendants have repeatedly been denied parole.

Onetime Manson family member Susan Atkins died last September, about three weeks after a state parole board panel rejected her plea for a "compassionate release" from prison because of brain cancer.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 10:00:24 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gQHrKvbl9wLd4Jo7xGnA-iTBhApQD9FDOQVG0
DA says Manson follower Davis not fit for parole
May 1, 2010

LOS ANGELES — The LA County district attorney asked the California governor Friday to reverse a parole board decision recommending the release from prison of Bruce Davis, a former Charles Manson follower who participated in two killings.

Davis, 67, has been in prison since 1972 after being convicted in the murders of musician Gary Hinman and stuntman Donald "Shorty" Shea. He was not involved in the Manson family's infamous murders of actress Sharon Tate and six others in 1969.

District Attorney Steve Cooley wrote to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, saying he believes Davis remains an unreasonable parole risk and a danger to the public. The governor can accept or reverse the panel's recommendation.

Davis' lawyer, Michael Beckman, said his client is totally rehabilitated and meets state requirements for parole.

He said that at his most recent parole hearing in January, he accepted responsibility for the murders of Hinman and Shea even though he didn't kill anyone himself.

"He said, 'I was as responsible as everyone there,'" Beckman said.

Cooley cited Davis' past efforts to minimize his part in the crimes as a reason to keep him behind bars.

"I strongly oppose the release of inmate Bruce Davis and believe that he is an unreasonable parole risk and a danger to the public," Cooley said in his letter.

Beckman said a petition has been submitted to the governor from those who know Davis and support his release.

"Mr. Cooley needs to read the law on suitability requirements," the attorney said. "He would see that Bruce Davis is a model prisoner who has accepted full responsibility for these acts. He is no longer remotely a threat to anyone."

Beckman said Cooley's office has a blanket policy of opposing parole for life-term prisoners even though the law provides for it.

He also said that given the state's budget crisis, "It would be a good move to save the state $100,000 a year and let him go home. He certainly is rehabilitated in every sense of the word."

Davis became a born-again Christian in prison and ministered to other inmates, married a woman he met through the prison ministry and has a grown daughter. Beckman said Davis earned a masters degree and a doctorate in philosophy of religion. He hopes to live with his wife and daughter in Grover Beach near San Luis Obispo, where he has the possibility of a landscaping job and wants to work with a church.

The only other Manson family member convicted of murder to be paroled was Steve Grogan. He was released in 1985 after leading authorities to the site where Shea's body was buried.

Manson follower Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme was released from federal prison last year after serving time for the attempted assassination of President Gerald Ford.

Manson and two of his followers, Leslie Van Houten and Patricia Krenwinkel, remain in prison for life in the Tate killings. Their co-defendant, Susan Atkins, died in prison last year.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/13/bruce-davis-former-charle_n_1592855.html
Bruce Davis, Former Charles Manson Follower, Seeks Parole
June 13, 2012

LOS ANGELES — A parole hearing for former Charles Manson follower Bruce Davis was postponed at the last minute Wednesday after the inmate reported he was feeling ill.

Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Patrick Sequeira said Davis showed up for the hearing in San Luis Obispo but said he didn't feel well.

He was taken to a prison medical clinic in the California Men's Colony and was examined and sent back, but still complained of illness and parole commissioners said it was necessary to postpone.

"I saw him walking around in the hallway and he looked fine," said Sequeira. But he said under the circumstances, the parole panel could not go forward with the hearing. A new date was not immediately set.

Davis' lawyer, Michael Beckman, said he arrived after Davis had been taken away in an ambulance and when he was returned, "He looked deathly pale."

Beckman said he feared Davis might collapse during the hearing and "I wasn't going to take a chance."

Two women who had come to speak out against Davis' parole were upset at the turn of events.

Former Manson Family member Barbara Hoyt, who has become a crusader against the imprisoned cult members, said she traveled 1,000 miles from the Pacific Northwest and missed her dialysis treatments in order to speak on behalf of the family of stuntman Donald "Shorty" Shea who was murdered by the Manson cult 40 years ago.

Debra Tate, the sister of murdered actress Sharon Tate, traveled from Los Angeles to appear on behalf of a cousin of murdered musician Gary Hinman. She said she believes Davis is a dangerous person.

"I will be here for the next one," she said in a phone interview. "I'm not going away."
 ::snipping2::
A parole board determined in 2010 that he was ready for release but then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger reversed the decision citing the heinous nature of the crimes.

Wednesday would have been his 27th parole hearing.

Sequeira said this was to be the first time that representatives of the victims were present. No victim families have come to previous hearings.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/10/charles-manson-follower-parole.html
Charles Manson follower granted parole by state panel
October 4, 21012

A convicted killer described as a top follower of mass murderer Charles Manson was granted parole Thursday.

Bruce Davis, 69, imprisoned for the 1969 killings of musician Gary Hinman and ranch hand Donald "Shorty" Shea, was recommended for parole in 2010, but his release was later blocked by then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

In a news release, officials said the panel agreed to parole "because of his positive adjustment, record of no recent disciplinary problems, and for successfully completing academic and vocational education and self-help programs."
More...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:21:08 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 07:31:58 AM »

Edit -subject line.  MB
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:20:56 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:04:35 AM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/10/manson-follower-bruce-davis-get-parole-prosecutors-dismayed.html
Manson follower Bruce Davis gets parole; prosecutors dismayed
October 5, 2012

A state prisons panel granted parole to a notorious killer described as a “right-hand man” to Charles Manson, but there was already a growing movement to keep him in prison.

It will be ultimately up to Gov. Jerry Brown to determine whether Bruce Davis, 69, walks out of California Men's Colony in San Luis Obispo after spending more than four decades behind bars. Brown has 120 days to review the case.

Saying he “would pose an unreasonable risk of danger to society,” then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger blocked a 2010 recommendation to parole Davis.

Brown had no immediate comment Thursday on whether he would prevent Davis’ release or let the decision stand.

But Manson family prosecutor Stephen Kay said he was alarmed at the prospect of Davis’ release.

“Would you want to wake up and find Bruce Davis next door?" Kay asked. “I think not.”
More...

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 01:49:15 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/10/manson-follower-bruce-davis-get-parole-prosecutors-dismayed.html
Manson follower Bruce Davis gets parole; prosecutors dismayed
October 5, 2012

A state prisons panel granted parole to a notorious killer described as a “right-hand man” to Charles Manson, but there was already a growing movement to keep him in prison.

It will be ultimately up to Gov. Jerry Brown to determine whether Bruce Davis, 69, walks out of California Men's Colony in San Luis Obispo after spending more than four decades behind bars. Brown has 120 days to review the case.

Saying he “would pose an unreasonable risk of danger to society,” then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger blocked a 2010 recommendation to parole Davis.

Brown had no immediate comment Thursday on whether he would prevent Davis’ release or let the decision stand.

But Manson family prosecutor Stephen Kay said he was alarmed at the prospect of Davis’ release.

“Would you want to wake up and find Bruce Davis next door?" Kay asked. “I think not.”
More...

BBM  EXACTLY!   

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 09:05:58 AM »

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 04:36:15 PM »

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime/article/Governor-denies-parole-to-ex-Manson-follower-4319561.php
Governor denies parole to ex-Manson follower
March 1, 2013

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown on Friday reversed a parole board and denied release of a former Charles Manson follower who has served more than 40 years in prison.

The board had recently approved the release of 70-year-old Bruce Davis but left the final decision to the governor.

Brown gave his decision to The Associated Press at the downtown Los Angeles County courthouse after a meeting with District Attorney Jackie Lacey.

"I find the evidence ... shows why he currently poses a danger to society if released from prison. Therefore, I reverse the decision to parole Mr. Davis," the written decision said.

Davis would have been only the second Manson-related murder defendant to be granted parole since Manson's killing spree began in 1969.

Davis was not involved in the notorious Sharon Tate-LaBianca killings but was convicted with Manson and others in the murders of a musician and a stuntman.
 ::snipping2::
Davis was 30 when he was sentenced to life in prison in 1972 in the case that was a postscript to Manson's notorious reign as leader of the murderous communal cult known as the Manson family.

Davis long maintained that he was a bystander in the killings of the two men, but in recent years, he has acknowledged his shared responsibility

Davis became a born-again Christian in prison and ministered to other inmates, married a woman he met through the prison ministry, and has a grown daughter. The couple recently divorced. Davis also earned a master's degree and a doctorate in philosophy of religion.

Manson and three of his followers, Leslie Van Houten, Patricia Krenwinkel and Charles "Tex" Watson, remain in prison for life in the Tate killings. Their co-defendant, Susan Atkins, died of cancer behind bars in 2009.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.