April 19, 2024, 11:51:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DOES ANYONE HAVE A DIABETIC DOG?  (Read 17134 times)
Mere
Monkey Junky

« on: January 04, 2007, 10:14:30 AM »

Hi monkeys...my diabetic dog bottomed out over the holidays and is in the vet hospital on IVs.....he is very weak....cannot walk etc.....this is because Lilly and Co. discontinued the insulin he has been on since diagnosis....6 years ago.....the vet has tried two others and he seems resistant to these insulins.....

My question is....do any of you have a diabetic pet that was on Humulin?
....and, if so, what is your experience with the new drug and which insulin is working for you...?

Many thanks, Mere

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 10:42:38 AM »

MeMere,

My DH's cousin has a miniature poodle with diabetes.  I do not know what insulin, if any, she is on, but will attempt to find out for you, if I can reach her.

I hope your pup pulls through this.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »

Quote from: "2NJSons_Mom"
MeMere,

My DH's cousin has a miniature poodle with diabetes.  I do not know what insulin, if any, she is on, but will attempt to find out for you, if I can reach her.

Than you so much....I live in the sticks and there is little experience with diabetic dogs in this area.... Confused

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 11:46:36 AM »

awww Memere'  I'm sorry about your poodle.

Humulin is made by Lilly along with a few other brands.  They advertise that Humulin is safe for humans and dogs too.  

How about looking into Vetsulin?  
This product is made by Intervet in Holland.  It doesn't state its safe for humans and dogs too.  Just pets.

Maybe its all in the ingredients and processing of those said ingredients that are causing your baby to have issues now.

My Liza is having another surgery for her Cancer tomorrow and while I'm there, I'll inquire about it for you.

Maine, born and raised!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 12:30:59 PM »

Products

Hi Ms.....thank you for responding....the following is on Lilly's site and I was able to get the Humulin-U until October and the Humulin-L until December.  He appears resistant to the next two insulins the vet tried over the holidays.....I think he is trying PZI this morning.....these drugs were discontinued because only 3-5% of patients in the US were using them....it was a money thing....wonder how many pets...or persons...are having a hard time making this adjustment...!  Will look at Vetsulin in a minute....vet here did not mention it.....many thanks....

Notice: Discontinued Insulin Products

NOTICE:

As of July 6, 2005, Lilly is announcing the discontinuation of the following products. Please click the links below for additional information.

Regular IletinŽ II and NPH IletinŽ II Pork Insulins
HumulinŽ U UltralenteŽ and HumulinŽ L LenteŽ Insulins

Ms...hope Liza does well....you sound like a good "mom"....please let me know.... Smile

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 07:20:33 PM »

Memere,

I have a dog with CUshings disease.. and there is often diabetes as well.  I am on a forum for CUshing that has a "sister" forum for diabetes... I will try to find a link for you and post it.

I am telling you this forum has saved my sanity in the last 4 months.  People very knowledgeable and caring.  You will love it.

I'll go try to find it now.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 07:43:20 PM »

http://pub141.ezboard.com/fpetswithdiabetescaninediabetes

Here it is.  I've never posted there, only at the sister site and it has been great.  Good luck!!!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »

Quote from: "MeMere"
Quote from: "2NJSons_Mom"
MeMere,

Than you so much....I live in the sticks and there is little experience with diabetic dogs in this area.... Confused

The miniature poodle was diagnosed last year and has been on Humulin N, 3 cc's a day.  She also has been hospitalized due to chronic pancreatitis, which made her so ill.  She is on prescription food and can have very small amounts of boiled chicken.   Now reading your recent posts, I see that Humulin U & L were discontinued....not sure if your vet ever tried Humulin N.  

What part of the country are the sticks you live in?  We live in what some consider the sticks here in NJ...lol

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 08:22:58 PM »

Quote from: "Frijole"

Here it is.  I've never posted there, only at the sister site and it has been great.  Good luck!!!

OMG Frijole....what a perfect place....and I never knew about it before....
thank you ever so much.....!   Very Happy

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 08:32:06 PM »

MeMere

Searching on http://www.hotbot.com or http://www.dogpile.com sometimes better than Google. using "Dog Diabetes Homeopathic Homeopathic" (I used the word twice, I find out it pulls up more that I want and less of junk) I found this

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/knowledgebase/knowledgebasesearch.aspx

The knowledge base of http:// http://www.onlynaturalpet.com and I ran "Diabetes"... found articles for cats and dogs. incl. this
Treating Diabetes Holistically   by Dr. Larry Siegler

I know that Homeopathic (Homopathic) medicine treats by symptoms so you might want to check out the drug store I've been going to since the mid 70's.. more expensive than some places but they are very, very knowledgeable. http://www.smhomeopathic,com and email them... being it's by symptoms only.

I used to go to Dr. Plechner, DMV in WLA.  In the mid-70's they'd let me take some Homeopathic medicine when my dog was in the pet hospital for a cancer op. and was amazed he recovered so fast and died of old age. I think they thought I was a tad weird. Later he wrote a natural medicine book for pets. Will search the link. I know that he is very big into the balance of estrogen or something similar and something else that if balanced we humans and pets won't be ill.

Guess... I really should pay attention. Easier said than done. Will find the links. I know he retired (darn he's my age) but his research is very good!
[/url]

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 08:33:58 PM »

2NJ....I am in rural Kentucky....and my dog is in trouble again and the IV's started again....they tried him on PZI and he began vomiting...when I mentioned Vetsulin, the young vet said that this is a very "new" drug....
I believe it came out in 2004....

I thought all the Humulins were off the market.....so I am checking on the Humulin-N....I so appreciate your help and please thank your DH's cousin...

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 08:36:20 PM »

Quote from: "MeMere"
Quote from: "Frijole"

OMG Frijole....what a perfect place....and I never knew about it before....
thank you ever so much.....!   Very Happy

and that group can link you to lots of others.  My group is caninecushings.net and if you EVER know of a dog with cushings please send them there.  I have become very active on the site as it is so sad... that site saved my dogs's life and now I'm giving back by helping others who have "misinformed" or "lazy" vets learn to question their diagnosis, protocol etc... by getting smart about the disease.

Good luck to you Memere!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »

Hi IBE....I am saving your links....but Toby is past homeopathy at the moment....he is very weak...very ill....I will see him tomorrow and see what the vet has planned.....I don't do well with this as this dog has been regulated for 6-7 years with the same insulin and diabetic food...twice a day....and was extremely healthy....

then I think Lilly pulled four insulins because not many people were using them...lots of pets were and many older humans....the last time I could get his insulin was in December...within a week he went down hill...no insulin working yet...will let you know...and thank you.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 09:04:35 PM »

Memere, I'll say some prayers for your furry baby.  It's tough, I know.

Hugs
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 09:19:41 PM »

MeMere.. maybe some of the pet sites still have some left over? or in Canada???

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »

Oh MeMere, I too will be saying prayers for your furry baby tonight. Also saying prayers for you.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 09:24:15 PM »

OT....Home Garden TV is redoing a kids room and just showed a karoki (sp?) monkey or sock monkey... anyone know about these?

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 09:25:27 PM »

Sorry... posted this in the wrong thread.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 09:28:45 PM »

IBE,

I know the name "Dr. Plechner" DVM in WLA. Was he a partner at the Sepulveda Animal Hospital?

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 10:03:28 PM »

IBE and Louise.....I looked up Dr. Plechner...and even though he is retired and lives in Idaho, he is still available to vets...but most of his work is in allergies in dogs....seems he was ahead of his time... Smile

I am about the fall flat on the keyboard....have spent so much time checking on this issue....Frijole...left my question...will probably not get any answers until tomorrow.

Thanks to every one of you...I love my monkey friends....Mere

Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.