April 25, 2024, 07:56:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DOES ANYONE HAVE A DIABETIC DOG?  (Read 17423 times)
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2007, 12:41:40 AM »

We are lucky here in that Auburn has one of the best vet schools in the country. They do a lot of research, and the vets here can call for information about a lot of things. My vet is an AU graduate, and he's good about keeping up. I also use another vet who went to the Univ. of Michigan, also an outstanding vet school. I use her for one of my cats, Betty, who is uneasy around men. She was a stray kitten that my daughter found and rehabbed from near death, so no telling why she's scared of grown men. Sad  She's a good one too. Having a good vet is like having a good pediatrician in a way,because babies and pets can't tell us exactly what the problem is.
Thanks for the compliment, beans. My daughter does have my love of animals - all my children do. She will be an excellent vet because she is smart and it is her life's calling.
It's good to hear that Toby is better. I hope the vet will be able to do more. I hate to think of that poor little thing being so sick.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2007, 08:22:50 AM »

Good morning friends.... Smile

pdh3...I wanted the vet to get on line too...but I think the consult to Knoxville and the close attention he is taking with Toby is working also.
He was at the vet hospital with Toby when he called.  He must be thinking of him as the call was rather late...and he never does this on a regular basis.

I was spoiled rotten with the AAHA Veterinary Hospital in Florida.  I do not have a choice now, so having the diabetic forum that Frigole recommended is a life saver.

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2007, 05:57:35 PM »

Mere....it sounds like the vet is taking the care of Toby to heart, and going the extra mile. I hope he can pull your baby through. Sometimes a consult with a vet who has experience is a good option.
We have an emergency animal hospital here that is pretty good. I like to know that I have that option if I need it.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2007, 07:52:56 PM »

Hi friends....Toby looks much better....almost frisky....vet was out at lunch but he may call tonight....I think he gave Toby some of the old insulin he had that Toby took before all of this started....wish he had pulled that out sooner...!  May be taking this old boy home after all... Smile

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2007, 08:08:57 PM »

Well now that is some great news!  Can you find some more of it to get you by or do you have to make a switch?

Hugs
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2007, 11:13:31 PM »

Quote from: "MeMere"
Hi friends....Toby looks much better....almost frisky....vet was out at lunch but he may call tonight....I think he gave Toby some of the old insulin he had that Toby took before all of this started....wish he had pulled that out sooner...!  May be taking this old boy home after all... Smile

Hi MeMere , just now reading through this thread about your furry baby. Hope things are going well. I don't know alot about animal medicine but considering pup was taking Humulin (N or R?) it might help to know that I have met  significant number of patients that have switched to Novolin Insulin since Humulin not available with good results. Is this one your vet has tried? Might be worth a go.  Wink   Smile

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2007, 08:28:34 AM »

Quote from: "bleachedblack"

Hi MeMere , just now reading through this thread about your furry baby. Hope things are going well. I don't know alot about animal medicine but considering pup was taking Humulin (N or R?) it might help to know that I have met  significant number of patients that have switched to Novolin Insulin since Humulin not available with good results. Is this one your vet has tried? Might be worth a go.  Wink   Smile

BB....Toby was on Humulin-U (ultra lente...very long acting) and then Humulin-L (lente) when the U was unavailable....I think the problem is that the vet used Novolin-R...fast acting...as a substitute....and it knocked him for a loop....now I think he will use Novolin-N (nph) or Vetsulin...an insulin developed for animals though cannot be used for all of them....
hopefully he will be started today on the substitute....I would like to take him home...!

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2007, 05:06:07 PM »

Good luck with the new insulin MeMere! It's good to know Toby is showing signs of improvement. I hope he gets to go home soon.

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2007, 05:47:09 PM »

MeMere for a long acting insulin there is Lantus. Action is 18-26 hours. It is usually taken at night before Hour of sleep and is a 1x per day insulin.  Question

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »

Guess who just came home...?  Toby...!!!

The vet gave me the rest of the insulin bottle, so we have a couple of weeks until I try this again...thanks to all of you..... Very Happy

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2007, 07:02:58 PM »

yeah!
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2007, 10:17:04 AM »

Guess who just came home...?  Toby...!!!

The vet gave me the rest of the insulin bottle, so we have a couple of weeks until I try this again...thanks to all of you..... Very Happy

Oh MeMere, that is good news.  Lets hope a more longterm solution can be found before that bottle is gone.

Maine, born and raised!
memphis
Monkey Junky

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2007, 06:39:10 PM »

MeMere ~ I understand the desperation you must feel, but let me just say that your little guy is lucky to have you! You are a good mom.

I found this site and it looks good. There is even a discussion of the discontinuation of Humulin U and L. The link is on the first page, right side, close to the bottom of the page.
memphis
Monkey Junky

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2007, 07:56:18 PM »

MeMere ~ I found a couple of other links that look quite good.

DogAware.com has a list of message boards for various health issues, including diabetes. DogAware.com is the site of Mary Straus, who is well respected in the online doggie community, and is also connected to K9Nutrition Yahoo list, a respected, top-notch group.

The list that Frijole referred you to may have directed you to some of these, but if not, I think they are worth taking a look.

Do you have a veterinary school close to you? If you do, they can often be the best place to take your pets, especially if there are no vets close who have experience in with a particular problem.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2007, 09:36:43 PM »

memphis...thank you for the referrals...one of them sent me to the one that Frijole gave me....really good group of people....I just have a few weeks before Toby has to go on to one of the new insulins...so I am checking to see what is recommended....so far he looks pretty good...has lost weight and is sleeping a bit more....but happy to be home.... Smile

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2007, 10:55:41 PM »

MeMere for a long acting insulin there is Lantus. Action is 18-26 hours. It is usually taken at night before Hour of sleep and is a 1x per day insulin.  Confused

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2007, 12:07:45 AM »

Quote from: "bleachedblack"
MeMere for a long acting insulin there is Lantus. Action is 18-26 hours. It is usually taken at night before Hour of sleep and is a 1x per day insulin.  Confused

BB...thanks for the Lantus referral....seldom used on dogs and if used needs a short acting insulin to cover meals....but you know I would never say never after the past two weeks.... Smile

memphis
Monkey Junky

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2007, 02:33:59 AM »

Ahhh...I see now that the same group is being recommended. At least you can feel pretty sure that if they are recommended by so many, they must be extraordinary.

I'm glad you found such a group and I wish you and Toby all the best with the new insulin. I just have a feeling that everything will be fine and that the crash had lots to do with the fast acting one. I hope so. Keep us posted.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2007, 06:54:05 AM »

Memere,  I am hoping that the insulin is working and all is fine with your furbaby.... just checking in.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2007, 09:50:14 AM »

Good memory Frijole....!  The good insulin is almost out...just a few days left....have a bottle of Vetsulin in the frig....have ordered the special syringes that go with it....will let you know.....thanks for thinking about the ol' boy..... Smile

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.