April 20, 2024, 01:29:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Department of Energy Quietly Raises Insulation Standards  (Read 1883 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: February 05, 2010, 02:10:39 PM »

For years, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has recommended R-30 and R-38 insulation for ceilings in U.S. homes, depending on the climate and the source of heat. Generally, the colder the climate, the more insulation they recommended.

DOE also recommended higher levels of ceiling insulation in homes heated with electric heat, which is of course the least efficient and hence the most expensive way to heat a home. Even so, DOE never recommended more than R-38 — even in the coldest climates.

Despite DOE’s long-standing guidelines, many of us who are interested in building super-efficient homes have been recommending to our clients, including architects and builders, that they install much higher levels of ceiling insulation — R-50 to R-60 in most climate zones. In really cold climates like that of North Dakota and northern Idaho we’ve been recommending even higher levels — from R-70 to R-80.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Energy-Matters/US-Department-Energy-Quietly-Raises-Insulation-Standards.aspx?utm_content=02.05.10+GEGH&utm_campaign=GEGH&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

The scary thing that comes to my mind?  How high will Obama raise energy taxes?  The price of energy?

At some point, will they force Americans to upgrade when they sell their home?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.