March 29, 2024, 04:52:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ladies Hoops  (Read 15641 times)
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« on: February 06, 2010, 04:25:24 PM »

Couldn't find a basket ball emoticon but I liked this one.  LOL

I know little to nothing about women's basketball.. except for the first time in Big 12 History a team is 21-0!  And it is the Lady Huskers! 

It's been fun to watch this coach grow the program.  Today's game was in the same arena the men play in and it was sold out a week ago!  That is pretty cool.  Seems womens round ball has really come around.

You guys follow it at all?  I know OK State has a good team.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »

Couldn't find a basket ball emoticon but I liked this one.  LOL

I know little to nothing about women's basketball.. except for the first time in Big 12 History a team is 21-0!  And it is the Lady Huskers! 

It's been fun to watch this coach grow the program.  Today's game was in the same arena the men play in and it was sold out a week ago!  That is pretty cool.  Seems womens round ball has really come around.

We have the best team we have ever had (ranked #11) -- you killed us the other night! 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »

I watched some of your game today and I was real impressed.  Gives us something to do off season.  Our mens team is.. well..bad.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »

Yes...I do follow NCAA Women's basketball because AU has had a really good team the last few years, and our coach Nell Fortner is one of the great ones. The Lady Tigers are nicknamed "Nell's Belles".......
Several of our stars have now gone into the WNBA, and the SEC player of the year for 2009 was an AU girl....DeWanna Bonner!

http://www.secsports.com/news/default.aspx?ArticleId=12398

Of course...if AU had a tiddly-winks team....I'd keep up with that too....   

WDE!

Congrats on the great team beans.Women's sports don't always get the attention that they deserve....
I'll keep an eye out and hopefully I'll get to see the Lady Huskers play. It sounds like they'll make it to the NCAA tournament!

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 09:06:27 AM »

Last 2 were close but.... 23-0! 
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:03:59 AM »

24-0 
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:15:22 PM »

Husker Ladies are 25-0.  They just beat #10 Oklahoma and have won the Big 12.  I think that is a first!!!  Way to go.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »

I screwed up - we are 26-0!  I missed one.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 12:02:42 AM »

Congrats! (and we beat the Lady Longhorns tonight!)   

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 06:45:37 AM »

Congrats! (and we beat the Lady Longhorns tonight!)   
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 07:03:54 AM »

Basketball Basketball Basketball Basketball

Someone has to cheer on the ladies!  NU coach Connie Yori voted National W's Coach of the Year!!!!  Yeah!!
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »

Huskers made it to the SWEET 16!  First time EVER.

32-1 for the season.  Go lady Huskers!! 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-pat-summitt--early-onset-dementia-alzheimers-tennessee-20110823,0,7467510.story
Pat Summitt: What does early-onset dementia mean for Lady Vols coach?
August 23, 2011

Pat Summitt says she has early onset dementia -- Alzheimer's type -- but isn't going to let that keep her from what she loves doing: coaching women's basketball at the University of Tennessee.

In a heartfelt interview with the Washington Post, the winningest coach in college basketball explained that she had received the diagnosis but that it took her a while to accept it.
 ::snipping2::
The 59-year-old Summitt says she is using flashcards and doing puzzles to keep her mental acuity up. While the jury is out on how much mental exercise really helps fend off the onset of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, the National Institutes of Health says some research is promising. It points to research finding that for every one-point increase in cognitive activity, patients saw a 33% decrease in risk of Alzheimer's disease.

As for whether Summitt will be able to continue coaching the Lady Vols, the Alzheimer's Assn. says this: "Continue to work as long as you, your employer and your doctor feel you are able."
Video at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »

What a total shame.  Prayers sent to one great coach and woman.  I hope she has lots of good days ahead.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/sports/ap-preseason-basketball-poll-baylor-women-no-1-1940270.html
AP preseason basketball poll: Baylor women No. 1
October 29, 2011

Brittney Griner and Baylor are starting the season where they hope to end it — at No. 1.

The Lady Bears are ranked at the top for the first time in the preseason women's basketball poll by The Associated Press. Baylor started last year at No. 2 before ascending to No. 1 in early January for the first time in school history. The Lady Bears finished with a No. 3 ranking.
Baylor received 33 of 40 first-place votes Saturday from a national media panel. The Lady Bears became the first Big 12 school to be ranked No. 1 to start the season since Texas in 1985 and 1986.

Notre Dame drew six first-place votes and was second, with Tennessee, Connecticut and Stanford rounding out the first five. The No. 2 ranking is the Irish's best since the final poll of 2001 when they also were ranked second.
Tennessee retains most of the team that swept the SEC last season for the conference title. The Lady Vols fell to Notre Dame in the NCAA regional finals last season, missing a Final Four trip for the third year in a row.
UConn has dominated the poll the last few years, holding the No. 1 ranking for a record 51 consecutive weeks. It returns four starters from last season's Final Four squad and has an especially talented freshman class.

Texas A&M is sixth, receiving the other first place vote.
Miami, which was picked to win the Atlantic Coast Conference for the first time, was seventh. It's the best ranking for the Hurricanes since they finished the 1992 poll at No. 6.

"That's a really big honor," Miami coach Katie Meier said. "It's a moment for us. We're going to have fun with it. You're a fool if you don't take a moment to step away and enjoy it."

Duke, Louisville, and Georgetown round out the first 10. It's the highest ranking ever for the Hoyas.
Maryland was 11th, followed by Penn State, Georgia, Florida State and Oklahoma. The last time the Nittany Lions were ranked this high was in the final poll of 2004 when they were fifth.

Rutgers was 16th followed by Purdue, Kentucky, DePaul and North Carolina.

LSU, UCLA, Southern California, Texas, and St. John's round out the poll. It's the first time USC has been ranked since 2006. The Women of Troy return four starters from last season's team that finished fourth in the conference.
USC is one of eight teams in the poll not ranked at the end of last season. The others are Penn State, Georgia, Rutgers, Purdue, LSU, Texas, and St. John's.

The Big East has seven teams in the Top 25 with the ACC next at five. The SEC and Big 12 have four, the Pac-12 three and Big Ten two. It's the first time there was no team outside the BCS conferences in the Top 25.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 04:46:30 PM »

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7250653/reactions-death-oklahoma-state-women-basketball-coach-kurt-budke
Reactions to deaths of Budke, Serna
November 18, 2011

Oklahoma State women's basketball coach Kurt Budke and assistant Miranda Serna died in a plane crash, resulting in an outpouring of memories from around the sports world:
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/oklahoma-grieves-for-osu-coaches-flags-to-be-lowered.html
Oklahoma grieves for OSU coaches; flags to be lowered
November 18, 2011

Flags will be lowered to half-staff Monday in Oklahoma in honor of the two Oklahoma State women's basketball coaches, Kurt Budke and Miranda Serna, and the former state senator and his wife killed Thursday in a plane crash.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma grieves. The state "is a close-knit community," said Alex Weintz, communications director with Gov. Mary Fallin's office. "It’s a difficult time I’m sure for the team and the school and the entire state. ... When something like this happens, everyone is affected.”

Fallin on Friday called for the flags to be lowered on all state government buildings. The fatal crash  occurred Thursday evening in mountainous terrain near Perryville, Ark.
More...

Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 10:48:56 PM »

Washington Huskies

FINAL FOUR

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."

MOHANDAS GANDHI
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.