April 23, 2024, 07:44:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PDF security risk greater than originally thought  (Read 4746 times)
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« on: January 05, 2007, 12:47:58 AM »

PDF security risk greater than originally thought

Article  on Cnet about PDF security risk
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 01:03:08 AM »

Gosh Carnut........I have absolutely no technical talent at all. I am terrible with computers and cars alike. Embarassed
I find this stuff scary because I don't really understand it that well. Sad

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 01:23:22 AM »

Quote from: "pdh3"
Gosh Carnut........I have absolutely no technical talent at all. I am terrible with computers and cars alike. Embarassed
I find this stuff scary because I don't really understand it that well. Sad

I post it because you should be scared as should everyone.

I for one have never condoned the use of PDF in the first place.

Never had any on my websites and avoided it and preached against it with a passion when web mastering in the business world.

I open PDF's only underduress.

PDF's are an unknowledgeable persons shortcut to creating web documents.

Same goes for Flash, an apt discription for 'all flash and no content' web mastering.

Anyhow, if you knowingly access PDF files in your internet activities, try to keep up with the latest versions of Acrobat that Adobe puts out and keep your fingers crossed and hold your nose while opening any PDF's.

Otherwise turnoff any PDF support in your browser and learn to live without PDF's. It ain't hard, almost like avoiding unnessessary sweets in your diet.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 01:35:08 AM »

I learned a long time ago that opening a PDF document link sent in an email ... it will freeze and crash my machine. It's just not worth it to open a PDF doc.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:13:16 PM »

I suspected this might be happening.  Have found some issues on this pc with pdf & java, lately.  Do clean up for adware often and anti-virus is updated.  Still have not updated to XP.  This is my son's, and it's a mess.  Wanted to purchase our own, but funds aren't available, right now.  Again, thanks for the updates, Carnut.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 03:39:24 PM »

Quote from: "2NJSons_Mom"
I suspected this might be happening.  Have found some issues on this pc with pdf & java, lately.  Do clean up for adware often and anti-virus is updated.  Still have not updated to XP.  This is my son's, and it's a mess.  Wanted to purchase our own, but funds aren't available, right now.  Again, thanks for the updates, Carnut.

Actually you are in a bit better situation than those who choose the latest and greatest of bleeding edge products.

Older technology that dosen't run the latest updates is also not as likely to be susceptible to the latest bugs.

Reducing or limiting your surfing experience also makes you online activity somewhat safer because you aren't open to the latest bugs.

I really wonder why more webmasters don't realize that by utilizing the latest fad routines on their websites that they are limiting their audience to only those with the latest and greatest plugins and technology.

Seemed to me that the object of creating a website was to be available/accessible to the greatest audience possible, yet I see so many creating such self limiting sites and then wondering where all their hits are.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »

Yes, Carnut, I understqand what you are saying.  You are more web versed than I, but my last job involved working with web applications & the developers.  I'm proud to say that I identified some of their code mistakes, just by looking at it and questioning...  One problem was due to code limiting versions of media player...of course, none of this relates to the current issues, but I can see how you'd be aware with your website.

Son told me he cannot update some things he's got on this thing, because it's running on Windows 98 and not the latest.  This thing is a trojan magnet, because my husband is not as computer savvy as he thinks.  He's clicked on more 'crap' and I've had to clean up his disasters a couple of times.   Rolling Eyes  Laughing

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.