April 26, 2024, 01:53:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Terrifying War Has Begun  (Read 32254 times)
tidycat
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2006, 11:24:15 PM »

I read the first 3-4 books of the Left Behind series and found them very good.  My daughter had them on tape and listened to them while driving to work.  They give a good view of what could happen.  As long as people keep in mind that they are fiction.  Not everybody agrees about the rapture and/or exactly what the events in Revelation could really mean.  But we may be in the end times, and I personally believe we are based on the fact that Israel has once again become a nation, and the Jews have been re-gathering there, as predicted, and the Arab nations encircling them keep on attacking them...all as predicted in the Bible.  

I only discovered in the last year or so that all the prophets, including Psalms, included predictions regarding the first coming of Christ, right along with predictions regarding the second coming of Christ.  Even Christ himself, of course, made predictions regarding His second Coming.  I find all of this fascinating.

tidy

Sigh.  I'll always be behind.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2006, 12:12:21 AM »

Anna,

You wrote: The World Today - Lebanese community calls on Australian PM to redouble evacuation efforts.  

I never heard this. What has the Australian PM done so far that he wants to "redouble" efforts?  Do you think that means he will send cruise ships, airplanes and helicopters to Lebanon to evacuate Australians stranded there?

The United States has told the 25,000 Americans in Lebanon to stay where they are because it is too dangerous to evacuate them.  If Bush cannot get Americans out of Lebanon, how could he help John Howard? It's just not possible right now.

We are at war. This is bigger than any previous war in terms of technology and tactics. And it's not even a war between Hezbollah, Israel and Hamas ... it is a sneaky proxy war between Iran and the USA. And Israel got sucked into a trap.

The world has changed and the stakes are nuclear. It's sad, distressing, scary, depressing - and we are helpless.

God bless Australia.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2006, 12:36:08 AM »

Middle East Report

Dear Monkeys,

Today I received an email from people I know who were directly in the line of fire in Israel and escaped.

A little background. My daughter and I have known a Rabbi and his wife for over 25 years. Rabbi Shlomo Schwartz (known as Schwartzie) and his wife, Olivia are known far and wide in the US and Israel in orthodox circles. You can google them. They used to be part of Chabad but the rules were so strict that they broke off from Chabad and formed "The Chai Center" a nonprofit organization devoted to helping Jews in all ways. I'm on the Chai Center's mailing list, which is maintained by one of their sons, Mendel who is about 35. They have twelve children, all married except for the two youngest boys, Jakov (about 13) and Berel (around 16).

Every summer the Rabbi and Olivia travel to Safed (also known as Zefat) which is considered a very holy city in terms of the Kaballa. They teach at the Ascent Institute for several weeks and then come back to Los Angeles. This year they took Berel with them.

http://worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/lgcolor/ilcolor.htm
If you look at the map, you will see how far north Zefat is and how close to the border of Lebanon. Hezbollah's rockets/missles have reached Nazareth and Haifa (on the map it is called Hefa). Zefat is north of Nazareth and Haifa.

This morning I received an email from Mendel with the title "Schwartzie & Olivia Alive in Jerusalem." Below is the email from Olivia.

From Olivia:

Thank you, thank you to all our many friends and extended family who have called the Chai Center concerned for our safety in the holy city of Safed.

Every summer for eleven years Shlomo and I have been invited to be scholars in residence at the Ascent Institute in Safed. Ascent has programs for Israelis, Russians, Soldiers, and American tourists giving them a spiritual boost. The Russian program is run for the elderly who are refugees from the gulag who live on a minimal pension and are paid to study in the morning and given a hot lunch during the day. Sixty or more soldiers a day (and sometimes 2 groups a day) come to Ascent and are greeted by beautiful Safed musicians, being taught classes by wonderful teachers. The Israelis that attend all open their hearts to see the beauty of their heritage that feeds their souls especially to those that recently returned from India. All the folks that attend Ascent are learning and loving what it means to be a Jew. This is where Shlomo & I have the treat to assist the Ascent Institute and change people's lives daily.

TODAY THE DOORS OF ASCENT ARE CLOSED. On Wednesday (July 12) we started hearing Katusha rockets from the distance. Then we began seeing fires across the far mountains of Meron where the bombs hit. Meron (20 minutes from Safed) is the grave of the author of the Kaballa - Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai.  This continued all day and night. Safed has been known as the most peaceful town in Israel, a town of artists, kabbalists, and musicians with ancient cobblestone streets, beautiful mountains & trees. Total peace. As soon as we arrive each summer I breathe deeply of the peace that you breathe in with the air.

Thursday afternoon (July 13), I am in the kitchen talking with the cooks, beautiful women born in Safed, when we hear a loud unmistakable terrifying noise of a bomb nearby, then another, and another, and the old building that we were standing in began shaking. As everybody started panicking looking and calling for their children I hear the director of Ascent frantically speaking to his son over the phone that a bomb hit inches from their house. I ran with the director to his car torn between my son Berel who was white as a ghost and helping out where a bomb had fallen.

Shlomo took care of Berel with the people staying at Ascent and I went with the director to his house. We drove through the town and saw the remains of a Katusha rocket by the bus station. It was now a large tin can. People were hurt there. At the director's home we saw the Katusha landed where minutes before their children were playing. I entered the house, the mother was sobbing when she saw us. Every window in the house was shattered shrapnel. After cleaning we went back to Ascent to help calm people there. Many were starting to flee Safed. Others too immobilized by shock or unable to move out of town were witness to the all afternoon and into the night of soft whistling of missiles and then the explosion of the bomb landing. I never thought that I would ever have to sleep in a bomb shelter.

Many of us packed in tightly and we all bonded very deeply. At one point in between a few rockets Shlomo went to the porch of Ascent as I was on the phone with our son Mendel in L.A. We then heard a boom and Shlomo thought the hit was further away and then I heard another and yelled for Shlomo to run to the shelter as I saw the red flame of the missile fly and land. The phone then went dead. Poor Mendel was frantically trying to re-connect not knowing if his parents survived. (five minutes later we spoke and said we were OK)

Friday was a mass exodus from Safed. Shlomo & I escaped to Hebron where it was quite and peaceful. I am having our women’s retreat at the Dead Sea this week and Shlomo will be in Jerusalem. Everyday I wonder about the elderly Russian men & woman in Safed. How are they? Are they getting food? Will they survive the bombardment?

We all must take upon ourselves a mitzvah and dedicate it to the peace and safety of Israel. Woman can light Shabbat candles before sundown and dedicate it to the peace and safety of the Jews in Israel. Men can put on tefillin, and/or teach somebody how to put on teffilin.  Put it on everyday except for Shabbat. Give tzedakah. Take a torah study class by your local temple. There are many good deeds out there we can identify with.

With love and peace, Olivia

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2006, 01:24:35 AM »

Louise, thank you so much for sharing that.  That is so very nice and such a beautiful post.  We have no idea how those in Israel suffer. I know there is suffering everywhere, all over the world, but the Jews have had this terrorism in their back door, front door, side yard for years.

What faith, what resolve.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2006, 04:03:43 AM »

found this at DEBKA

Jordanian military intelligence relayed information that Hamas had recruited a bomb team in the kingdom. It was on its way to cross into Israel for the strike. Israeli and Jordanian border troops are on a high state of preparedness. The potential targets are the southern port of Eilat, its Arava main road link to the north, the Dead Sea, or the Beit Shean Valley on the Jordan River. This information led defense minister Amir Peretz to announce the closure of the West Bank Thursday, July 20.

Israeli security officials have grounds to suspect that the latest Hamas terror initiative is coordinated with Hizballah’s war in the north via the Lebanese group’s operational officers stationed in Nablus and Gaza

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2006, 04:58:48 PM »

LV, thanks for sharing that.  It makes me so sad to see all these people sufferering.  It's also a shame that the innocents of Lebanon who being held hostage by Hezbollah.  I just don't understand why the Govt. does not step in and do something to stop it themselves.  

quote from Anna:
BARNEY PORTER: There have been calls by some world leaders that Israel's actions have been disproportionate. Is there any criticism of Hezbollah's actions, the original kidnapping of the two soldiers, the rocket attacks on Israel?

ABRAHAM CONSTATINE: Well, everything can be resolved through diplomatic and political means. We don't need a huge scale war destroying a whole country for the sake of discussing the fate of two

They just aren't getting it!  

And they are saying there needs to be ceasefire to get their own citizens out?  How is it, every other nation is managing to do it and what a lame excuse for shutting their (Australian embassy) doors, then cutting and running, instead of helping their own citizens???  Blame it on the USA for everything!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2006, 05:12:23 PM »

Tidy, I should have mentioned that the Left Behind books are fiction,  an oversite on my part.   Wink  I understand their are people who do not believe in the rapture.  I am a Baptist, so when I read those books, it was very believable for me.  Though I sometimes question how literal those books take it.  Either way, it is great reading!  I finished them all, except for the last chapter of the last book for some reason!  I need to finish it...

Yes, most of the prophecies having already unfolded is fascinating to me too.   I have such a great deal of respect for the Jewish people,  I really would like to learn more specifics about the faith and history.  LV has been very helpful with the recent history in her posts.

Tyler, that info from DEBKA is extremely scary!

tidycat
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2006, 08:49:24 PM »

Dihannah1, I intend to finish all the Left Behind books.  I found them very well-written and plotted, and quite possible overall.

A great book on the subject of end times, Jews and Arabs/Bible prophecy is Hal Lindsey's The Everlasting Hatred[/].  It starts with Abraham and Sarah and goes through Isaac/Ishmael, Esau/Jacob...explaining the very basics of the hatred between Jews and Arabs.  Then the history of Islam and how it relates to the story.  It has the entire chronology of history up to present of Israel/Palestine after the destruction of the second Temple.  It shows many maps of that area of the world, including all the maps showing land allocated among the countries after WWI and WWI and how Israel's borders just continued (and continue) to shrink.  I don't necessarily buy all of Lindsey's scenarios, but this one is based on fact, from the Bible to world history.  And I'm a history buff.  

On CNN, Anderson Cooper, last night, some guy was giving out some incorrect info.  I have to look it up and send an email.  He indicated that in 1967 Israel decided to push its borders out...thus the war.  Well that's not true.  They were attacked first...then they finished it and won more land.  But the media, esp. CNN, likes to make Israel look like the bad guys and that makes me very angry.  They can at least get the facts right.

tidy

tidycat
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2006, 08:55:56 PM »

Well sorry about the typos.  That's WWI and WWII.

One of my favorite Biblical quotes in Lindsey's book is the oneaabout the only land deed God ever gave (this deed is irrevocable!)

And the Lord appeared to Abram (Abraham) and said, "To your descendants I WILL give this land."  And, "...for all the land which you see, I WILL GIVE IT TOYOU AND TO YOUR DESCENDANTS FOREVER.  And I will make your descendants as the dust of the earth; so that if anyone can number the dust of the earth, then your descendants can also be numbered.  Arise, walk about the land through its length and breadth; for I will give it to you."

Genesis 12 (emphasis added)

tidy

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2006, 10:11:14 PM »

Thanks for the book suggestion!  I will go out and get it.  I'm 42 and just recently, in the past several years have become interested in History.  I think it was sparked by all the turmoil in the Middle East, starting with Iraq.  I have a lot of catching up to do....

BTW,  news just announced if Israel goes in with boots on the ground into Lebanon, the Govt. states it will join Hizbollah in it's attacks.  Never saw that coming.  I truly thought they would get sick of them and attempt to kick Hizbollah out!   Not join them....  They also stated the head of Hizbollah as sayin they have some upcoming big surprises to release on Israel.   Fox News is questioning whether this means Chemicals of Mass destruction..  This is getting out of control!

tidycat
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2006, 10:24:59 PM »

Dihannah1, I had not heard that news.  I haven't watched tv all day so I'm out of touch.  That is very scary that they have a surprise awaiting Israel?  And I thought the Lebanon govt would distance itself from Hezbollah if given the chance.  That is a very dangerous stance for them to take imo.  But even though last week at the G8 the world's leaders seemed to agree Israel had a right to defend against the terrorists attacking them and to let it continue for awhile, now they are about to denounce it and turn back against Israel.

If Lebanon really gets into it, that brings in Syria and whoever their allies are.  Russia has treaties with Iran and Syria, so where does that lead?  Not good.

Let's pray, pray, pray.  I've gotta go medicate cats and scoop!

tidycat

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2006, 10:53:13 PM »

How the Jews Ended Up as the So-called Chosen People

As you may or may not know, my daughter got involved with Judaism at Fairfax High School in the 11th grade (1983). She had to take a language course and picked Hebrew. During her early years, I tried to get her into programs at various synagogues but she refused. In the Hebrew class, she ran into a huge amount of orthodox kids who took Hebrew because it was an easy class for them since they grew up hearing Hebrew prayers and rituals spoken in the home and the synagogue.

She fell head first into the very strict orthodoxy. She got involved with two organizations devoted to bringing Jewish young adults who were not religious back to the orthodoxy. These organizations were funded by anonymous rich Jews who would sponsor promising students to bring them back to their Jewish roots. They paid for her to go to local religious retreats and big trips to NY to meet with other young adults who were also just discovering their Jewish identity. After she finished high school, the organizations sent her to NY to study. She didn't like it so they sent her to Jerusalem to study religion. They provided clothing (women have to wear long skirts and tops covering them from the neck to the wrists), they got her into the best Yeshiva, and she had a knack for being able to connect with and captivate famous Rabbis so she was always considered very special. She lived in a dorm and had part time jobs as a babysitter, heavy duty housecleaner, waitress and assisting a dentist.

She learned vast amounts of information regarding Judaism. She would go to Israel for eight months and come back for three months and then go back and come home, etc. Because she was such a good student, they paid for her trips.

In her mind, these organizations were doing this purely from the goodness of their hearts. I told her that was not correct. They had an agenda and they had expectations of her down the line. For each kid they brought back to orthodox Judaism, especially females, they expected the females to marry orthodox boys and have as many children as possible who they would raise to continue the orthodoxy. She told me their agenda was not necessarily her agenda. This was my first clue about her ethics or lack of ethics. My material girl did not want to marry a poor orthodox boy who spent all day studying religion while she stayed at home having babies.

However, she learned a hell of a lot about Judaism and its history. Every time she came back, she would tell me about everything she learned. It was totally fascinating. As I said, she had the best teachers. She could expound upon the size of Succah huts in cubits. She knew about everything.

One particular thing struck me that I had never heard before in my whole life. Why were the Jews God's chosen people? She related that God offered the "chosen people" status to various groups. God said, "You will have to abide by my laws. No killing, no stealing, no coveting your neighbor's wife, etc." Those groups said "Hell no, we want to steal, kill, attack, murder, etc." So God went to the next group and they gave the same response. Finally, the last group God approached was the Jews. They agreed to abide by God's laws and thus they became the Chosen People.

I don't think this is common knowledge. People have great resentment against the Jews because they think they were God's first and only choice. In truth, the Jews were God's last choice and only because they agreed to the terms of the contract to live in peace.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2006, 11:06:16 PM »

Dihannah1,

I also heard if Israel mounts a ground war into Lebanon, Lebanon will join Hezbollah in it's attacks.  Not to mention that Hezbollah is saying they have surprises for Israel.

This clearly says that Lebanon is under the control of another entity.

I betcha Bush, his Cabinet and the two houses of Congress are panicked, can't figure out what to do. They are running around with their hair on fire.

Let's not mince worlds. This is WWIII.

spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2006, 01:03:49 AM »

LV thank you so much for sharing that email.
My thoughts and prayers are with our Israeli friends
I know that when it is time for us to go help them, go and help them we will!

"They call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2006, 02:57:40 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Anna,

You wrote: The World Today - Lebanese community calls on Australian PM to redouble evacuation efforts.  

I never heard this. What has the Australian PM done so far that he wants to "redouble" efforts?  Do you think that means he will send cruise ships, airplanes and helicopters to Lebanon to evacuate Australians stranded there?

The United States has told the 25,000 Americans in Lebanon to stay where they are because it is too dangerous to evacuate them.  If Bush cannot get Americans out of Lebanon, how could he help John Howard? It's just not possible right now.

We are at war. This is bigger than any previous war in terms of technology and tactics. And it's not even a war between Hezbollah, Israel and Hamas ... it is a sneaky proxy war between Iran and the USA. And Israel got sucked into a trap.

The world has changed and the stakes are nuclear. It's sad, distressing, scary, depressing - and we are helpless.

God bless Australia.

We have ships taking Americans out of Lebanon.  The Marines have landed.  That was 24 hours ago. Shocked

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2006, 01:41:33 PM »

Thanks for the story LV.  That story about the chosen people, I just want to add,   Jesus was a jew.  I have never heard that God hunted a group until he found one to obey.  So, very interesting perspective.  There are obvious differences in Judaism and Christian beliefs.  Main one being they believe the 1st coming of Christ is still to come.

On another note.  I found today, something reported on 7/19, about another escalating problem in different  part of the world.   From CNN....

Ethiopia says it is prepared to invade neighboring Somalia to defend it's UN-backed govt. against what appears to be imminent attack by Islamic militiamen.....  

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2006, 04:52:41 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"

I betcha Bush, his Cabinet and the two houses of Congress are panicked, can't figure out what to do. They are running around with their hair on fire.

Let's not mince worlds. This is WWIII.

Apparently Condi is planning a trip next week to Middle East to discuss the situation in Israel.  I am thrilled that the US backs Israel fully.  However, at this point, I just don't see how (according to MSM) that only she can resolve this issue.  They almost sound silly as if  the world should be putting all their eggs in her basket.  I am somewhat disappointed in Bush's lack of any action aside from a few remarks (like at the G8 summit).  Though, I am sure there are alot of things going on in the background I am not aware of.  Unfortunately, we have been concentrating on Iraq for so long, we've become oblivious to the rest of the world, now suddenly Condi is going to go save the world?  JMO

Praying for peace in Israel and all the innocent people in Lebanon and Palestine.

tidycat
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2006, 10:03:50 PM »

It seems to me that a trip by Condi Rice to the region is just a gesture.  Bush does not want to stop Israel from wiping out a terrorist group.  In fact, the whole world would benefit if there were one less organized terrorist group.  Like John Bolton said, who do you negotiate with anyway?  Hezbollah is not a country, and Lebanon is not getting involved to stop them.  There really is nothing anybody can do, including Bush.  Other than sit on Israel, and the fact is, in Israel's position, we would be doing exactly the same thing.  Netanyahu said it:  This is like the Cuban crisis in l962, except they have actually fired the rockets at Israel.  If this had happened to us, we would have wiped them out...Cuba and the Russians.  

tidycat

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2006, 10:53:34 PM »

I agree, I know your right.  But I worry because as they say on the news, they could be breeding a whole new generation of terrorists as kids watch their homes and families destroyed.  I guess, I can understand if you look through a childs eyes, if they lost a mother or father, how revenge could possibly become an option for them as they grow up.  Unless people step in and help them cope before it's too late!  Though I back the Israelis wholeheartedly.  It breaks my heart to see the innocents in Lebanon affected too.  If only the Lebanon govt'/military would do the right thing.

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2006, 10:26:47 AM »

Quote from: "Dihannah1"
I agree, I know your right.  But I worry because as they say on the news, they could be breeding a whole new generation of terrorists as kids watch their homes and families destroyed.  I guess, I can understand if you look through a childs eyes, if they lost a mother or father, how revenge could possibly become an option for them as they grow up.  Unless people step in and help them cope before it's too late!  Though I back the Israelis wholeheartedly.  It breaks my heart to see the innocents in Lebanon affected too.  If only the Lebanon govt'/military would do the right thing.

Dihannah, I often have to recall what the "NEWS" predicted when we went into the First Gulf War, that Iraq had such a massive ground force that our troops would die by the hundreds of thousands, how the Iraqi troops were entrenched and Iraq would destroy not only our troops but send WMD into the USA and destroy Israel as well.  Sometimes the "NEWS" has ulterior motives in their palavering.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.