March 28, 2024, 01:33:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Capt. Phil Harris of TV's Deadliest Catch dies of stroke at age 53  (Read 3261 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: February 10, 2010, 06:49:29 PM »

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20343264,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines

Capt. Phil Harris Death Stuns Fellow Fishermen, Fans

By Mike Fleeman

Wednesday February 10, 2010

Captain Phil Harris and with sons Jake and Josh
David Yellen

His face looms over the Web site, the tobacco-stained smile, gray-flecked beard, hair tousled by arctic winds, squinted eyes full of adventure.

"Phil Harris was called home and will forever be remembered," writes the crew of the Alaskan crab boat the Northwestern, one of many tributes pouring in for the Cornelia Marie captain from TV's Deadliest Catch who died late Tuesday at age 53 following a recent stroke.
Another boat from the hit Discovery Channel show, the Time Bandit, posted this message online: "Our thoughts and prayers go out to Phil Harris. May God bless and care for Phil and his family."

And on the Discovery Web site, a video of Phil talking about his life at sea has been posted. Plus, hundreds of messages of condolences from fans are up on the site's message board.

Among them is the Fisherman's Prayer:

God grant that I may live to fish,
until my dying day,
And when it comes to my last cast,
I then most humbly pray,
When in the Lord's safe landing net,
I'm peacefully asleep,
That in his mercy I be judged,
As big enough to keep.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:51:12 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:54:37 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/02/10/2010-02-10_untitled__inn11tv.html

'Deadliest Catch' star Phil Harris, captain of Cornelia Marie, suffers stroke while unloading boat

There has been an outpouring of sympathy for Captain Phil Harris and his family after he died Tuesday at age 53.

Discovery officials weren't saying Wednesday how the upcoming season of "The Deadliest Catch" would deal with the sudden death of Capt. Phil Harris.

Harris, the tough-talking, chain-smoking crab boat boss of the ship F/V Cornelia Marie, died Tuesday at the age of 53. He'd suffered a stroke Jan. 29 while unloading his ship in Alaska.

"We are trying to support the family right now," a Discovery spokeswoman said.

Harris was one of the captains on "The Deadliest Catch," one of Discovery's most popular shows. The series follows a group of fishing vessels off the coast of Alaska, where crab fishing is a lucrative, yet dangerous business.

The skipper's sons, Jake and Josh Harris, were regulars on the show as well.

Fans of the series continued to flood the network's Web site Wednesday with condolences for Harris and his family.

"My heart is filled with sadness," wrote springfall99. "I loved Phil and never even met him. My deepest condolences to Phil's entire family. We have all lost a truly spectacular person. You will be greatly missed, Phil. I hope you are enjoying the boat ride in heaven."

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20419376,00.html
Capt. Phil Harris's Sons Will Keep His Memory Alive on Deadliest Catch
September 7, 2010

Captain Phil Harris would be proud.

The late skipper's two sons, Josh, 27, and Jake, 24, have signed a new contract with the Discovery Channel for the next season of Deadliest Catch, according to a New York Times report.

The move is a poignant one in light of their father's death at age 53 last February.
he brothers, who have struggled with their loss,  will get more screen time next season and, according to the network, "expand their participation," on the show, which documents the tough lives of crab fishermen. They plan to "increase their experience on the sea with the hopes of becoming captains."

"Right now, they want to get back to fishing and we are doing everything that we can to support that," Discovery president Clark Bunting said in a statement.

The sons have also been looking to buy their dad's fishing vessel, the Cornelia Marie, outright.

"I will try to get it back up and running at full strength, and be the full owner, and my guys can keep their jobs," Josh told PEOPLE recently. "I will achieve my goals. One way or another, it will happen. There is no failure in a fisherman."

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.