March 29, 2024, 01:00:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Friends' torture, kill mentally challenged woman Jennifer Daugherty 30, PA  (Read 15947 times)
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:24 AM »

I would have taken 10 seconds for that decision..
Death Penalty is a good thing for people that would do this to another person especially a disabled person.

jmho

agreed!

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 12:22:37 PM »

Hang them all! They don't have a right to their next breath.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »

Hang them all! They don't have a right to their next breath.
These cases against children, elderly, and the disabled shot arrows straight to my heart.  I know what it is like to try and help a grown person with disabilities, whose has the mind of a 10-year-old.  He is so trusting.  You knock on the door, he answers, and even if he doesn't know you, he just welcomes you in.  People who take advantage of these folks and harm them are just plain evil in my eyes and I don't use the term evil lightly.
Prayers for this family.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 04:15:43 PM »

Suspects face death penalty in torture death of disabled woman in western Pennsylvania
By The Associated Press
June 07, 2010, 3:30PM

PITTSBURGH — A district attorney will pursue the death penalty against three of five adult suspects charged with torturing and murdering a mentally disabled western Pennsylvania woman.

Westmoreland County District Attorney John Peck said today that Ricky Smyrnes, 24, Melvin Knight, 20, and Amber Meidinger, 20, all of Greensburg, should be executed if they're convicted of first-degree murder in the death of Jennifer Daugherty. The body of Daugherty, 30, was found stuffed in a trash container Feb. 11 after she was last seen Feb. 8, when authorities believe she first went to an apartment where Smyrnes and Knight lived.

Peck said in a statement today that the trio deserve death because of two aggravating circumstances: Daugherty was allegedly tortured, and she was killed in the commission of other felonies, kidnapping and aggravated assault. Daugherty was forced to drink urine and detergent, and was beaten and tied up over a period of about 36 hours. She was later forced to write a purported suicide note and stabbed in the apartment, about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh.

Smyrnes' attorney, Scott Avolio, said he believes he'll be able to prove his client's mental capacity is so limited he should not be executed. Avolio said Smyrnes' IQ is 67, based on a test by a county agency a few months before the killing to determine whether he had the ability to care for his child, who was in county custody at the time.

Such a low IQ may mean Smyrnes cannot be executed under a U.S. Supreme Court decision banning the execution of mentally disabled people, Avolio said. "I still think there's a significant mitigating factor in Ricky's defense due to his extremely low mental functioning," Avolio said.

Peck declined to comment further about the case, and Knight's attorney did not immediately return calls Monday. Meidinger's attorney, Emily Smarto, declined comment.

At a preliminary hearing in March, Peck played recorded statements from Smyrnes and Knight in which the men acknowledged Daugherty's beating and death. Smyrnes said he had previously had sex with Daugherty and that the suspects and three others in the apartment became angry because Daugherty again wanted to have sex with Smyrnes.

One of the others was Smyrnes' girlfriend, Angela Marinucci, 17, who is charged as an adult but under Pennsylvania law cannot be executed because of her age.

Knight acknowledged stabbing Daugherty on Smyrnes' orders, saying he was afraid that Smyrnes would harm him or Meidinger — who was pregnant with Knight's child — if he didn't kill Daugherty.

Peck declined to pursue the death penalty against Robert Loren Masters Jr., 36, of Greensburg, and Peggy Darlene Miller, 27, of Mount Pleasant Township, though they face the same charges as the others: criminal homicide, kidnapping, aggravated assault and three related conspiracy counts. Criminal homicide is a broad charge that gives a jury the option of convicting the person of first-degree murder or several lesser homicide counts.

Attorneys for Miller and Masters have argued their clients were present but didn't participate in torturing Daugherty. Police have said all the suspects have given statements implicating one another.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/06/suspects_face_death_penalty_in.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »

Trial set for youngest suspect in torture death
JOE MANDAK, Associated Press
Updated 12:56 p.m., Sunday, May 8, 2011

PITTSBURGH (AP) — When the youngest of six defendants charged in the torture death of a mentally disabled woman goes to trial on Monday, she'll try to prove that it wasn't a fit of jealous pique that inspired the killing.

Angela Marinucci, 18, of Greensburg, concedes she was involved in the death of Jennifer Daugherty, 30, according to her lawyer Michael DeMatt.
 ::snipping2::
Marinucci, who was 17 at the time, is being tried separately from the others after dropping her fight to have her case tried in Westmoreland County Juvenile Court.

In March, she spent a day with prosecutors, detailing her version of Daugherty's death. DeMatt said she had hoped for a plea bargain to charges less than the first-degree murder count that will automatically send her to prison for life if she's convicted. With no such deal forthcoming, Marinucci will try to convince the jury of six men and six women that she wasn't the instigator but a lesser player in Daugherty's grisly demise, DeMatt said.

::snipping2::  much more..........
http://www.westport-news.com/news/article/Trial-set-for-youngest-suspect-in-torture-death-1371020.php

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »

On picture 3 at link;http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-10002459.html?tag=page

Peck intends to pursue the death penalty against Smyrnes, Knight, and Knight's girlfriend, Amber Meidinger, 21. He doesn't intend to seek the death penalty against the two other defendants - Peggy Miller, 28, and Robert Masters, 36.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-10002459-3.html#ixzz1MAuci5h7

Not sure if this is old news or not so I posted it anyway. 

God what a bunch of losers.  Pack mentality clearly rules with these POS and all of them should be charged if they were present at any time during the abuse and end result.  GRRRRRR! 
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.