March 28, 2024, 05:34:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mackenzie Cowell-17 yrs, Wenatchee, WA, Missing 2/9/2010(Body Found)  (Read 36619 times)
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« on: February 12, 2010, 05:53:35 PM »

http://www.komonews.com/news/84205127.html#idc-container

FBI helping with search for missing teen
Story Published: Feb 11, 2010 at 10:38 PM PST
Story Updated: Feb 12, 2010 at 9:22 AM PST

SEATTLE -- The search is on for a 17-year-old girl who has not been seen since Tuesday.

Mackenzie Cowell was last seen in Wenatchee as she left beauty school. Her car, a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix, was found several hours later, abandoned some 40 miles from her home in Orondo.

Detectives found Cowell's purse and clothes inside her car, but her debit card was missing.

FBI agents and Chelan County detectives have searched the steep terrain where her car was found with the help of bloodhounds several times, but they have not found any clues. The state crime lab searched the car and found nothing out of the ordinary.

Cowell has been listed as an endangered missing person as the criteria surrounding her disappearance does not meet Amber Alert standards, officials said. An FBI profiler is en route from Washington, D.C. to aid in the case.

"It's unusual for the caliber of this kid," said sheriff's spokesman Jerry Moore. "From what we're getting from Mackenzie's past, she's not a troubled kid. She's a good student. She's a smart kid. She's involved in a lot of community functions."

Cowell is 5-foot-8 and weighs 130 pounds. She has brown hair with red highlights and brown eyes. She also wears braces.

Anyone with information on Cowell's whereabouts is urged to call detectives immediately at 509-667-6848.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:13:52 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 05:54:43 PM »

30 officers searching for Wenatchee-area girl
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WENATCHEE, Wash. -- A half-dozen FBI agents and dozens of officers from other agencies have brought the total number of police looking for a missing 17-year-old girl in Chelan County to about 30.

Sheriff's spokesman Jerry Moore says they are out Friday re-interviewing witnesses and following up on tips in the disappearance of Mackenzie Cowell.

She was last seen Tuesday afternoon leaving a beauty school class in Wenatchee. Her car was found that night near Mission Ridge, about 40 miles from her home in Orondo. Her purse and some clothes were found in the car, but her debit card is missing.

The FBI, Washington State Patrol, state Fish and Wildlife Department, Chelan and Douglas County deputies and Wenatchee police are all working on the case.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_wa_missing_wenatchee_teen.html?source=mypi

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 06:30:25 PM »

http://pleasehelpthesemissingchildren.blogspot.com/2010/02/mackenzie-cowell-17-endangered-missing.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:05:41 AM »

http://www.myspace.com/kenzilovesthegangsters 

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:06:59 AM »

Originally published Friday, February 12, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Comments (0)      E-mail article       Print view       Share

Computer, phone search warrants in hunt for girl
A Chelan County sheriff's spokesman says the search for a missing 17-year-old girl is expanding to social networking and phone contacts that Mackenzie Cowell may have had.

The Associated Press

WENATCHEE, Wash. —
A Chelan County sheriff's spokesman says the search for a missing 17-year-old girl is expanding to social networking and phone contacts that Mackenzie Cowell may have had.

Sheriff's spokesman Jerry Moore says search warrants were faxed Friday for information from MySpace, Facebook and Verizon.

He says the FBI has also brought in a rapid response team that deals with child abductions.

Moore says those searching for Cowell hope information gleaned from computer and cell phone records "sends us in a direction."

She was last seen Tuesday afternoon leaving a beauty school class in Wenatchee. Her locked car was found that night near Mission Ridge, about 40 miles from her home in Orondo. Her purse and some clothes were found in the car, but her debit card is missing. Moore says a single set of footprints was found outside the car.

In addition to Chelan County and the FBI, the Washington State Patrol, state Fish and Wildlife Department, Douglas County deputies and Wenatchee police are working on the case.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011061291_apwamissingwenatcheeteen2ndld.html

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »

http://wenatcheeworld.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/news/documents/2010/02/12/Mackenzie_poster.pdf
Missing Poster

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 12:13:32 PM »

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/13/hundreds-attend-candelight-vigil/
Hundreds attend candelight vigil for missing teen

World photo/Kathryn Stevens

Rachel Moore, left, and, Erin Cowell, 13, both of Richland, listen as Allen Anderson, of Wenatchee, leads the Lord’s Prayer at a vigil for Mackenzie Cowell Friday night in front of the Cherry Creek Radio offices on Wenatchee Avenue. Eric is Mackenzie’s cousin. More than 200 people attended the vigil for the teen, who has been missing since Tuesday.

By Rochelle Feil Adamowsky
World staff writer

Saturday, February 13, 2010
WENATCHEE — On Friday night, a couple hundred people prayed for the safe return of Mackenzie Cowell.

Her parents, brothers, relatives, friends and people who never met the 17-year-old Orondo teen gathered at a candlelight vigil. They lined up shoulder to shoulder along Wenatchee Avenue in front of the Cherry Creek Radio offices in downtown Wenatchee.

Residents in Pitcher Canyon, in the Squilchuck area, found Cowell’s vacant red 1997 Pontiac parked near a driveway at about 10 p.m. Tuesday and reported it to authorities.

The vigil was organized by Yvonne McLean of Leavenworth, whose two daughters are on Wenatchee High School’s Apple-Ettes Dance Team with Cowell.

McLean said she wanted to show support and show how many people care. “I needed something positive to come (out of this),” McLean said.

“We wanted to be productive and help,” said Wendy Cowell, Mackenzie’s mother. “I feel totally helpless. ... It can happen to anybody.”

Rachel Moore drove from her home in Richland to bring her daughter, who is also Mackenzie’s cousin, Erin Cowell, 13, to the vigil. “I don’t know what to do,” Moore said. “I can just show support for her and pray. It’s sad. I just hope for a positive outcome. It’s all I can do. It’s almost like a dream, like you’ll wake up and find out she’s fine, she’s home, she’s safe. ... I can’t believe she’s gone. It’s worse to think about what could be. You have to be positive.”

The line of people stretched from the sidewalk adjacent to the Chelan County PUD parking lot almost to Second Street at the Coast Hotel.

After a moment of silence the group sang “Amazing Grace.”

Through tears, Mackenzie’s father, Reid Cowell of Orondo, thanked those who attended. “We want her to get home safe and get back to normal,” he said. “This is an amazing show for Mackenzie. She’s just an angel. I’m not sure she knows what we’re seeing here tonight, which is the love for her. This is a welcome-home party for her. ... We’ll do this again when she’s back.”

Afterward, Allen Anderson of Wenatchee led the group in reciting the Lord’s Prayer. “It’s guidance from the good Lord,” said Allen, later. “... I think prayer is the strongest thing in the world, don’t you? I don’t know if there’s anything stronger.”

“She’s a good lady, a good girl. I just hope that she comes back safe and sound,” said Allen, who knows Mackenzie through her parents.

“It should be a huge concern for the entire community,” said Lisa Calderon of Wenatchee whose daughter, Alexandra, 17, goes to school with Mackenzie. “Even though we live in a small, fairly safe community, we shouldn’t take that for granted.”

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
doubledecker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 09:04:26 PM »

another sad sad sad case...

Breaking News Update: Sad news, body of Washington missing teen, Mackenzie Cowell, discovered

February 13, 5:03 PM

Seattle Family ExaminerIsabelle Zehnder

Mackenzie Nicole Cowell, went missing Tue., Feb. 9, 2010, her body was found Sat., Feb. 13, 2010

Facebook February 13, 2010 - While making a call for further information about the mysterious disappearance of 17-year old Mackenzie Cowell, Jerry Moore, spokesman for Chelan County Sheriff's Office, informed Examiner her body had been found around 2 p.m. this afternoon.

Moore has ruled her death a murder. 

Mackenzie went missing Tue., Feb. 9 after leaving beauty school in the afternoon. Residents in Pitcher Canyon, about 40 miles from her home, found her car and notified police.

Tracking dogs and helicopters found no trace of Mackenzie. Douglas County Sheriff was also brought in for the search.

Moore said, "Today, around 2 p.m., Mackenzie's body was found at the Crescent Bar Resort in Douglas County about 12 miles south of her home, and about the same distance from where her vehicle was found."

"Douglas County is processing the crime scene," he said, "And we expect it will be a smooth transition for the process of the case."

Examiner awaits a call back from Douglas County Sheriff's Office and will update this article once the call is received.

This is the most devastating news a family can receive about their loved one.
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-22460-Seattle-Family-Examiner~y2010m2d13-Breaking-News-Update-Body-of-Washington-missing-teen-Mackenzie-Cowell-discovered

To find me:
click the globe to the left, under my name
doubledecker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 09:06:18 PM »

It is my guess they will have someone arrested pretty quickly. 

To find me:
click the globe to the left, under my name
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 09:13:17 PM »

It is my guess they will have someone arrested pretty quickly. 

This is just so sad    Thank you for bringing the news, dd.  I wish she had been found safe, but it appeared from the start things had taken a bad turn, imo.  I hope those responsible for this will be found and arrested soon. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »

Body Found Possibly Mackenzie Cowell; Missing Person Case Turns to Homicide

Published February 15, 2010 by:
Saul Relative

Body Found Alongside Columbia River Fully Clothed, Feet in the Water

The missing person case of 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell turned to one of homicide Saturday, February 13, when a body was found on the bank of the Columbia River about 20 miles from Wenatchee, Wash. Based on the description of the clothes she was wearing, authorities were working on the assumption that the young woman whose remains were found were that of the missing teenager. Mackenzie Cowell had been missing since Tuesday.

The body has yet to be positively identified. Authorities have refused to talk about the condition of the body or speculate on the cause of death.

Authorities were summoned to the resort area of Crescent Bar at 12:45 p.m. Saturday, according to the Wenatchee World. Jerry Moore, Chelan County Sheriff's Office chief of administration, said in the story that the body appeared to have been placed in by the side of the river. The remains were fond with the feet in the water and fully clothed.

"We've got to find this monster," Moore said. "Anybody who is willing to take a child and commit a crime with that child is a monster."

Investigators processed the scene around where the body was discovered Saturday. Douglas County (where the body was found) authorities noted that they had no suspects. Officials refused to speculate on how long the body may have been at the site or in what condition the body was found. An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday.

Mackenzie Cowell was last seen Tuesday afternoon when she left the Academy of Hair Design, a beauty school that she was attending. Her red Pontiac Grand Prix was found several hours later 40 miles from her home. Authorities summoned to where the car was parked found the vehicle not only locked, but containing Cowell's purse and some of her clothes. The only thing missing was Cowell's debit card.

A lone set of footprints led away from the car.

So how did Mackenzie Cowell get to the riverbank? Why was her car left in Pitcher Canyon? According to video obtained from a surveillance camera, the 17-year-old left the beauty school alone. With investigators treating the young woman's death as a homicide, someone must have joined her somewhere along the way. Did she meet them somewhere? Or was she the victim of a carjacking or kidnapping? Were the footprints leading away from the vehicle Mackenzie Cowell's footprints or did they belong to someone who drove the car to Pitcher Canyon to abandon it? Had that someone killed her? Or were they privy to information that might lead to whoever caused her to be killed? Or had they somehow caused her to be killed?

The FBI is helping Douglas and Chelan County investigators with the case, as are the Washington State Police.

Anyone with information regarding the Mackenzie Cowell case is urged to call 509-667-6848.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2702757/body_found_possibly_mackenzie_cowell.html?cat=17

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 08:14:12 PM »

Story Updated: Feb 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM PST
WENATCHEE, Wash. -- The search for the killer of a Wenatchee teen found dead over the weekend now spans three counties wide.

Thirty investigators, including FBI agents, working on the homicide case of Mackenzie Cowell finished canvassing multiple scenes on Monday in Chelan, Douglas and Grant counties.

Meantime, friends and classmates of Mackenzie Cowell are using their phones and the Internet to spread word of her death.

Text messages sent around Wenatchee High School beg for answers into 17-year-old Cowell.

"Mackenzie Cowell found dead this morning in the Columbia River. Pray that her killer is found," read one message.

"We don't know how she died, but send this to everyone so they can know what happened to Mackenzie Cowell," read another.

Cowell was last seen by surveillance cameras 3:30 p.m. Tuesday as she was leaving the Academy of Hair Design alone. The cameras didn't capture anyone suspicious in the parking lot, and investigators said Cowell didn't appear to be in a hurry.

Hours later, her car was found near Pitcher Canyon. On Saturday, passersby found her body near Crescent Bar on the shore of Columbia River.

Investigators have said they found some evidence at the scene; however, they said none of it points to a specific person. They are still interviewing friends and relatives.

Items were also taken from a home that sits just 30 yards away from Cowell's body, but the Chelan County sheriff would not categorize those items as evidence.

But investigators hope it will give them a few new clues to at least narrow down their search for a killer.

"We don't know where she was killed. We are hoping the autopsy and the crime scene investigation at the hospital tomorrow will lead us to some conclusions on that," said Gjesdal.

Cowell's family released a statement on Sunday saying, "The family knows now that she is safe and in heaven and not lost. The family is hanging in there."

Family and friends of the victim have set up a blog where visitors can post comments and condolences.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/84417422.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 08:55:48 PM »

http://www.kirotv.com/news/22573930/detail.html

Divers Search For Clues In Wenatchee Teen’s Death
Posted: 4:32 pm PST February 15, 2010

WENATCHEE, Wash. -- A dive team of investigators from three different counties scoured the bottom of the Columbia River Monday where the body of 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell was discovered.

Deputies are treating Cowell’s death as a homicide and are looking for her killer.

She was reported missing last Tuesday and her car was found that night near Mission Ridge, about 40 miles from her home in Orondo. Her debit card was missing and her cell phone was turned off.

On Monday, neighbors in the resort community of Crescent Bar answered questions from local detectives and the FBI. They said the scenic riverside lot and the house where Cowell was found was in bank foreclosure and was empty.

The person who found Cowell's body told police her feet were in the water of the Columbia River and she was fully clothed.

Anyone with information about the circumstances and death of Cowell are asked to contact the Douglas County Sheriff's Office at 884-0941 or rivercom dispatch at 663-9911.

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 01:36:20 PM »

Search for Mackenzie Cowell's killer continues in Chelan, Douglas, and Grant Counties
February 16, 2010 - The search for the killer of Mackenzie Cowell, whose body was found over the weekend, intensifies and involves three counties.

There are now thirty investigators, including FBI, working on the homicide case of Mackenzie Cowell. Investigators were canvassing multiple scenes Monday in Chelan, Douglas, and Grant counties.

Investigators have found some evidence at the scene; however, none of it points to a specific person. They are still interviewing friends and relatives at this time.

Mackenzie's body was found near Crescent Bar on the shore of the Columbia River Saturday. Investigators took items from a home that sits about 30 yards from where she was found. County sheriff would not categorize those items as evidence in the case.

Investigators hope it will give them a few clues to at narrow down their search for the killer.

"We don't know where she was killed. We are hoping the autopsy and the crime scene investigation at the hospital tomorrow will lead us to some conclusions on that," said Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal.

In the meantime her friends and classmates are using their cell phones and the Internet to spread the word of her death. Their text messages beg for answers into what happened to 17-year old Mackenzie.

"Mackenzie Cowell found dead this morning in the Columbia River. Pray that her killer is found," read one message.

"We don't know how she died, but send this to everyone so they can know what happened to Mackenzie Cowell," read another.

Mackenzie was last seen by surveillance cameras on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. leaving the Academy of Hair Design. She left alone and did not appear to be in a hurry. Cameras did not capture anyone suspicious in the parking lot.

Around 10 p.m. that night a resident near Pitcher Canyon reported an abandoned vehicle near their driveway. Police investigated and found Mackenzie's purse and some clothes in the locked car with one set of footprints leading away from the car.

Mackenzie's family released a statement on Sunday saying, "The family knows now that she is safe and in heaven and not lost. The family is hanging in there."

Family and friends of the victim have set up a blog where visitors can post comments and condolences. http://mackenzie.nwi.net/

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 01:39:01 PM »

RIP Mackenzie 

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »

http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington/Autopsy-should-confirm-if-body-is-missing-Wenatchee-girl--84479192.html

Neighbors say the riverside property where the girl's body was found has been vacant for months. But they noticed some strange changes to the yard Saturday morning, the same day her body was found.

Gary and Judy Ovenell's home overlooks the crime scene along the Columbia River.

"Saturday morning Gary said, 'Look at the brodie marks down there. That's really unusual,'" said Judy Ovenell.

Although the property has been vacant, they say they noticed new tire tracks there Saturday morning.

"There was something I just grabbed onto, focused on it, because it was so strange, 'cause that place, anybody hadn't been to for so long," said Gary Ovenell.

Around noon the same day, a young female's body was found along the shore with her feet in the water. Investigators found evidence of homicide at the scene and inside the vacant home.

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/17/county-mum-on-autopsy-results-authorities-saying/

County mum on autopsy results Authorities saying little on Cowell case, but asking public’s help

By Dee Riggs
World staff writer

Wednesday, February 17, 2010
EAST WENATCHEE — Autopsy results on homicide victim Mackenzie Cowell won’t be released to the public today.

“At this point, I want to keep that information inside law enforcement,” said Steve Clem, Douglas County prosecutor and coroner, Tuesday evening. He had spent the afternoon attending Cowell’s autopsy, which was performed by Dr. Gina Fino. She works on contract to do autopsies for the county.

Asked when results would be made public, he replied, “When a suspect has been identified and charged.”

Clem said he would only say that the death was a homicide and the body was that of Mackenzie Cowell, a Wenatchee High School senior who was last seen leaving a city-owned parking lot behind the Academy of Hair Design, 208 S. Wenatchee Ave. Video footage from stationary cameras in the lot show Cowell walking to her car and driving away, heading west up Kittitas Street, about 3:30 p.m. Feb. 9.

A Pitcher Canyon resident reported Cowell’s Pontiac Grand Prix abandoned near a driveway to a cattle gate about 8 p.m. Feb. 9. The car was several miles up the canyon, where the pavement ends and becomes a dirt road.

Cowell’s body was found about 12:45 p.m. Saturday along the Columbia River bank at Crescent Bar by someone walking along the beach.

The task force is asking anyone who might have seen someone walking out of Pitcher Canyon, down Squilchuck Road or along the southern portion of Methow Street between 5 and 8 p.m. Feb. 9 to call the RiverCom dispatch center at 663-9911.

Asked if this request means investigators think someone other than Cowell left the car there, task force spokesman Doug Jones said, “We have no firm indication either way.”

If no one walked out of the canyon, then whoever dropped off the car would have been picked up by someone in another vehicle, “which would mean multiple suspects,” he said. “It’s just one of the many possibilities that we are looking into.”

On Feb. 12, Jerry Moore, chief of administration for the Chelan County Sheriff’s Office, said that a single set of footprints was found outside Cowell’s locked car.

“It appeared somebody parked the car, locked it up and walked away,” Moore said at the time when Chelan County deputies were still investigating the case as that of a missing teenager.

Jones said this morning that he does not know if that single set of footprints could have been Cowell’s. He also does not know if there were any footprints found at the Crescent Bar crime scene and if any footprints matched those found around Cowell’s car.

Jones said there are no suspects in the case. He suggested that young women in the Wenatchee area take extra precautions to be safe.

“We don’t know enough in this investigation as to who this person is, so we’re telling the public to use due care and caution, maybe a little more heightened than usual,” he said. “Knowing your surroundings and using basic safety skills are what would be prudent right now, especially for women because the victim was a woman.”

Jones suggested that women use escorts or go places with others.

“Don’t walk alone or in remote areas,” he said. "If you can go somewhere in pairs, that would be best.”

On Tuesday, Jones was appointed spokesman for a task force investigating Cowell’s homicide.

Also on Tuesday, the task force named Robbin Wagg as its leader, Jones said. Wagg is chief criminal deputy for Douglas County. The task force is made up of about 20 people, Jones said. Members are from the Douglas and Chelan county sheriff’s departments, the Wenatchee Police Department, the East Wenatchee Police Department, the State Patrol and the FBI.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »

Thanks for the updates Lovinlife.  I hope whomever was responsible will be found soon.

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/19/wild-honor-mackenzie-cowell-at-tonights-game/

Wild honor Mackenzie Cowell at tonight’s game
By Michele Mihalovich
World staff writer

Friday, February 19, 2010

World photo/Mike Irwin

The helmet of Wild captain Adam McKenzie bears the new memorial sticker for Mackenzie Cowell. The whole team will wear the stickers.

WENATCHEE — A group of local women who do random acts of kindness has teamed up with the Wenatchee Wild hockey team and Wenatchee Police Department to collect reward money to help solve the Mackenzie Cowell homicide case.

Before tonight’s Wild’s hockey game against the Texas Tornadoes at the Town Toyota Center, Cowell’s friends will be collecting money for a reward that leads to the arrest and conviction of whomever killed the 17-year-old Wenatchee High School student.

Julie Gregory of Sunnyslope has been a longtime family friend of the Cowell family, she said Thursday.

“This is something good we can do for a really heartbreaking situation,” Gregory said.

Terri Morris, Gregory’s friend who wanted to help with the effort, said Mackenzie’s friends will walk around with collection buckets before the game.

She said Home Depot in Wenatchee donated the buckets and Mid Valley Printing of Cashmere donated the T-shirts the girls will be wearing.

Jeremy Anders, who handles ticket and corporate sales for the Wenatchee Wild, said the organization plans a moment of silence just prior to the game’s 7:05 p.m. start time to honor Mackenzie’s memory.

Gregory said that if the reward fund isn’t used for some reason, then the money will either go to the Cowell family to help with funeral expenses, or to a scholarship in Mackenzie’s name. Anyone who does not attend the game but wishes to donate to the Mackenzie Cowell Reward Fund can make donations to Bank of America.

Capt. Doug Jones with the Wenatchee Police Department said the department will honor the reward fund, but won’t be in charge of the money.

He said the department asked that two signatures be required for any transactions involving the funds, other than deposits.

Gregory said Wendy Cowell, Mackenzie’s mother, will be in charge of selecting who the two signatures will come from.

“We just want to make sure that a check-and-balance system is in place to guarantee that the money is there when it’s time to give the reward,” Jones said.

He said reward offerings have been a good incentive in the past and usually increase the number of tips received.

“People do need to be aware that the information provided must lead to a conviction,” Jones said. “So it could take years before they actually get the money.”

The North Central Washington Association of Realtors has established a fund to help Cowell’s family pay for funeral expenses.

Checks can be made payable to the Mackenzie Cowell Memorial Fund and dropped off at any Wells Fargo Bank, according to Mary Hull-Drury, executive officer of the association.

Wendy Cowell is a local Realtor.

For more information, call the association at 663-1211.

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »

Slain teen’s memorial service is Thursday
A memorial service for Mackenzie Cowell will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Town Toyota Center.

Bill Stewart, one of the owners of the Wenatchee Wild professional hockey team, has agreed to pay for any expenses incurred for the memorial service, which will be open to the public.

He said today that his team will help lay down the deck over the ice for the memorial service. Stewart also said the Town Toyota Center is providing use of the center free of charge to the Cowell family.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/19/wild-honor-mackenzie-cowell-at-tonights-game/

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.