March 28, 2024, 06:12:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U of Alabama @ Hunstville shooting 2/12/10-Amy Bishop Anderson Sentenced LWOP  (Read 52999 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/university_of_alabama_in_hunts_2.html
University of Alabama in Huntsville closed after shooting, hotline set up for students and parents
By Niki Doyle
February 12, 2010, 6:16PM
HUNTSVILLE, AL -- The University of Alabama in Huntsville has been shut down and the residence halls put on lockdown following a shooting that killed three and injured three.

Counselors are now available at the University Center, and the school has set up a hotline at 824-7777 for parents and students to call in with questions and concerns.

Biology professor Amy Bishop and her husband have been detained following the shooting. They have not been charged with a crime.

The shootings occurred during a meeting of the biology faculty in Room 369.

Justin Wright, a UAH senior majoring in psychology/philosphy, was working in the math lab on the second floor when police came runing in with guns drawn.

"My first instinct was, 'I need to get down. I need to get down,' " Wright said. "I've never seen a gun or heavy artillery like that. I was shocked.

Photos at link

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 07:26:58 PM »

This is all I will post for now.

Please anyone who has any more information, post and keep us updated.  Must leave for now but will check back later and add anything I learn or hear in the meantime.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »

https://chargerpost.uah.edu/pages/campusnews.php?id=172insight/insightread.php?newsID=1257
EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION

There has been a shooting on campus.  The shooter has been apprehended.  The campus is closed tonight.  Everyone is encouraged to go home.  Classes are cancelled for tonight.  Any additional cancellations or changes will be announced as they become available.  There is a Command Center set up at Madison Hall Room 109.  Counselors are available in University Center Rooms 125, 126 and 127 for anyone who wishes to speak with a counselor.

It has been confirmed no students are involved.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 08:11:13 PM »

Video: UAH shooting leaves three dead, three wounded at Shelby Center
By Jon Busdeker
February 12, 2010, 7:01PM
UAH Shooting leaves three dead and three wounded

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/video_uah_shooting_leaves_thre.html

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 08:26:51 PM »

Found this from earlier this evening.
Raw Video: Three Killed in University Shooting  02/12/10
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iXm5n9en5Dw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/iXm5n9en5Dw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1</a>

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 08:35:46 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/13/us/13alabama.html
6 Shot, 3 Killed in Alabama Campus Shooting

Victims were taken to ambulances on Friday at the University of Alabama, Huntsville.
By SARAH WHEATON
Published: February 12, 2010

Three faculty members at the University of Alabama at Huntsville were shot to death and three other people were critically wounded during a biology faculty meeting on Friday afternoon, university officials said.

The Huntsville Times, quoting university officials, reported that a biology professor was being held in the shooting. WAAY-TV in Huntsville reported that the professor had been denied tenure.

The newspaper identified the professor as Dr. Amy Bishop, a Harvard-educated neuroscientist. According to a 2006 profile in the newspaper, Dr. Bishop invented a portable cell growth incubator with her husband, Jim Anderson. Police officials said that Mr. Anderson was being detained but they did not call him a suspect.

The shooting occurred in the university’s Shelby Center around 4 p.m. Central Time, officials said. Few students were in the building, and none were involved in the shooting, said Ray Garner, a university spokesman. Three faculty members were killed, and three other people – two faculty members and one staff person – were taken to Huntsville Hospital, with injuries ranging from serious to critical.
Officials said the suspected shooter was detained outside of the building “without incident.”

Justin Wright, a senior, was working in the building’s math lab on the second floor when police burst in with guns drawn. Mr. Wright told the Huntsville Times that his first thoughts were, “I need to get down, I need to get down.” He added, “I’ve never seen a gun or heavy artillery like that. I was shocked.”

The shooting came just a week after a middle school student shot in Huntsville shot and killed a classmate, leaving the town in shock.

“This is a very safe campus,” said Mr. Garner. “It’s not unlike what we experienced a week ago. This town is not accustomed to shootings and having multiple dead.”

The gray lawns of the campus were lit up by the flashing lights of police cars and ambulances with blue and yellow stripes as police and Swat teams descended on campus. The university police were the first to respond, but the Huntsville Police Department is now handling the investigation, officials said. The Madison County Sheriff’s Department is also assisting in the investigation.

The university was put on lockdown “almost instantaneously,” said Trent Willis, chief of staff to Mayor Tommy Battle. However, some students complained on Twitter and to reporters that they did not receive the university’s alert until hours after the shooting.
The U-Alert was triggered late because the people involved in activating that system were involved in responding to the shooting,” said Charles Gailes, chief of the university police, at a news conference.

“We’re going to stop, we’re going to sit down, we’re going to review what happened,” Mr. Gailes said. “All of these actions are going to be learning points, and we’re going to be better for this.”

Erin Johnson, a sophomore, told the Huntsville Times a biology faculty meeting was underway when she heard screams coming from the room.

According to the 2006 profile, Dr. Bishop and her husband tired of using old-fashioned petri dishes for cell incubation, and designed a sealed, self-contained mobile cell incubation system. The system was described as reducing many of the problems with cultivating tissues in the fragile environment of the petri dish.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 09:07:44 AM »

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/uah_professor_in_custody_for_questioning.html
UAH professor in custody for questioning in shooting deaths of three faculty members
By Patricia C. McCarter
February 13, 2010, 7:00AM

HUNTSVILLE, AL -- Three faculty members are dead and one is in custody following a Friday afternoon shooting rampage at the University of Alabama in Huntsville; two faculty members and a staff member were also wounded.

Dr. Amy Bishop was taken into custody outside the Shelby Center of Science and Technology without incident about 10 minutes after the 3:57 p.m. shooting during a biology faculty meeting, sources said.

Bishop joined the UAH faculty in 2003. She graduated with a doctorate in genetics from Harvard University in 1993.

Bishop has not been charged with a crime. As of late Friday, Huntsville police had not identified the suspect or the other person of interest detained, however, a UAH source said it was Bishop's husband.

Killed were Dr. Gopi Podila, biology department chair and professor of plant molecular biology and biotechnology; Dr. Maria Ragland Davis, professor of biotechnology and plant genomics; and Dr. Adriel Johnson, professor of physiology.
Dr. Joseph Leahy, professor of microbiology, and Stephanie Monticciolo, department assistant, were in critical condition Friday night; Dr. Luis Rogelio Cruz-Vera, professor of molecular biology, was stable.

The university will be closed - including classes and sporting events - Monday through Friday, Feb. 19. Faculty and staff will be allowed to work if they choose. Parents or students who have questions can call a UAH hotline at 256-824-7777.

UAH officials stressed that none of its 7,500 students witnessed the shooting, which happened in a conference room on the third floor of the Shelby Center.

By 4:20 p.m., police began to clear the parking lots around the building.

"At one point we were told to get into our cars, roll up the windows and lock the doors," said Tony Cannizzo, a 19-year-old student parked by the building.

Emergency technicians wheeled out gurneys at 4:30 p.m. as more police poured into the Shelby Center. Shortly afterwards, police brought out a large group of survivors, who were interviewed in a nearby hall.

UAH sophomore Erin Johnson from Flat Rock, a student aide in the biology office, helped set up chairs in the conference room for the faculty meeting. She was in the third-floor biology department office when "I heard banging."

"I guess that was the gun shots," said Johnson, who has worked in the department for only a week. "I heard screaming."
Then she saw a woman she didn't recognize run out of the conference room, and she heard someone say, "Call 911."

"I waited, and then the cops came in with the guns," said Johnson, visibly shaken.
UAH student Kim Helms was in Bishop's neuroscience class Friday afternoon, and she said her teacher seemed "the same as always," but she did come in a little late.

Helms said she'd heard Bishop hadn't gotten tenure, and a classmate was starting a petition to ask the department to reconsider.

At 4:52 p.m., university officials e-mailed this message to UAH students and employees: "There has been a shooting on campus. The shooter has been apprehended. The campus is closed tonight. Everyone is encouraged to go home. Classes are canceled for tonight. Any additional cancellations or changes will be announced as they become available.

"There is a command center set up at Madison Hall Room 109. Counselors are available in University Center Rooms 125, 126 and 127 for anyone who wishes to speak with a counselor."

UAH spokesman Ray Garner said the university started looking at installing an alert messaging system after a student killed 32 students at Virginia Tech in 2007.
But UAH students did not immediately receive warnings via e-mail or text.

Tony Cannizzo, 19, received a text message about 6:20 p.m., although it arrived with the time marked 5:32 p.m. The message read: "Shelby Center is secure and the suspect is in custody." Cannizzo said he did not receive any other messages before that one.

"UAlert was triggered late because the people who were responsible for activating the system were responding to the incident," said Campus Police Chief Charles Gailes during a press conference.

Reporters on the scene were Pat Newcomb, Challen Stephens, Victoria Cumbow and Kim Albright.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 09:12:17 AM »

http://www.decaturdaily.com/detail/53497.html
 2/13/10 |   1 comment
Faculty slayings shock UAH students
‘My parents want me home’

By Tiffeny Hurtado
Staff Writer
University of Alabama in Huntsville students were shocked that a shooting Friday afternoon that killed three faculty members and wounded three others could happen at their campus.

Freshman Kirby Wallace of Danville, a biology and chemistry major, walked out of class Friday afternoon after finishing a test and watched ambulances and police cars descend on the Shelby Center.

She had attended class inside the building just hours before the shooting, as had her roommate.

“I left the campus because I really didn’t want to be there with all that going on,” Wallace said.

She received a barrage of phone calls and text messages during her test. Her parents, her boyfriend, classmates and friends who attend other colleges were concerned she may have been hurt, she said.

“My parents want me to come home tonight.”

She said going to class at the Shelby Center after the shooting will be hard because she is worried one or more of her professors may have been involved. She said she knew several of the science professors either from taking their classes or seeing their names while registering for classes.

“I’m sure security will be tighter than it’s ever been before after this, but it’s going to be sad finding out who was shot and hurt,” she said.

Graduate student Katie Hodges of Decatur learned about the shooting through a friend’s text and is apprehensive about attending a business class Saturday.
“I drive by that building every day,” she said. “I
have classes in the building right next to the Shelby Center.”

Eric Ibarra of Madison is majoring in electrical engineering and attended classes in the Shelby Center before this semester. He said he couldn’t believe a deadly shooting occurred at his college.

“I didn’t think anything like this could happen here,” Ibarra said. “This happens in other places but not here.”

Phillip Gentry of Decatur was on campus in Cramer Hall, which is across the street from Shelby Center.

“I saw a lot of concern, a lot of confusion and a lot of uncertainty about whether we were in lockdown,” said Gentry, who is the Earth System Science Center’s communications director.

“I didn’t see any panic,” he said. “There was more concern for the victims and people interested in trying to find out what happened.”

Gentry said he has worked closely with the biology faculty during the past 20 years.

“I know several of them quite well,” he said. “I’m deeply concerned about my friends and colleagues.”

Staff writer Ronnie Thomas contributed to this article.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 10:10:32 AM »

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/amy_bishop_biology_professor_a.html
Amy Bishop charged with murder in UAH shooting
By Victoria Cumbow
February 13, 2010, 8:04AM

~ Peter Frampton
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »

Thanks so much Trimm!  Any others with info, please post.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »

Oh, and there is to be a press conference at 11 this morning from the University President whose name I have just let slip my mind at the moment.  I heard it just this morning and it's gone now.

Anyway it's at 11 and I would think all four local channels will carry it.  If not Ch 31 and CH19 are supposed to do so.

My condolances to the families, friends, the Univeristy and Community on this tragedy.  It was a week after the high school shooting in an area that is far removed from this sort of thing and we are all shocked and deeply saddened that this has come to our doorstep.  It seems no one gets away from the violence in these troubled times.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 12:14:52 PM »

I missed the first part of the press conference because CH31 didn't carry it.  It's on CH19 however.

There will be biographical information on each of the victims on the  school website.

Suspect was apprehended outside the building with no resistence.  Weapon in restroom of the second floor.

Suspect's children with family now.  Search warrant issued and executed on their residence last night.

I think he said 15 people were in the room but am not positive.  Actions taken by citizens inside and outside the building credited with saving lives.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »

Up to her counsel if she will undergo mental evaluation.  Can't release much information as the investigation is still ongoing.  Should take 6 wwks or so to bring to court.

Won't comment on her research.  Staff routinely undergoes background checks.  Students still concerned that they were not notified.  Suspect was in custody and contained immediately so the safety of the remainder of the campus was not impacted.

Caller called police possibly by cell phone.  County, city and campus arrived very quickly because H'ville has a center that co-ordinates all law enforcemnt.  Have warrants and are going through evidence including from the residence.

They have reharsed for such emergencies and all officers were trained and responded as instructed and the command center worked well.

Responders arrived, assessed, took action and contained the suspect.  First email 4:42 to students.  Lots of questions about student notification.  However since this was contained almost immediately, the policy was that no alert was appropriate.  have used the system before for weather related warnings and it is in place and working but was not needed in thsi particular situation because of the swiftness of containment of the siuation.

Dr. Williams thanks Madison County and Huntsville.

More information will be postd on their website which I think they said was

http://www.uah.edu/

There are to be updates posted there as they become available.

PERSONA NON GRATA

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 12:55:18 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,585682,00.html
Motive in Question as Professor Faces Murder Charge in Alabama Campus Shooting

Saturday, February 13, 2010

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. —  There "may never be a clear answer" as to why a biology professor at the University of Alabama in Huntsville allegedly shot and killed three colleagues and wounded thre others, campus police said Saturday in a news conference.

Amy Bishop, 42, was charged Friday night with one count of capital murder, which means she could face the death penalty if convicted, and authorities said Saturday more charges are pending. She reportedly had been involved in a tenure dispute on the campus.

A 9 mm weapon was found in a bathroom in the university building where the shooting took place, campus police officer Charles Gailes said at the news conference.

Bishop, a Harvard-educated neurobiologist who became an assistant professor at the school in 2003, was taken Friday night in handcuffs to the county jail. As she got into a police car, she said, "It didn't happen. There's no way. ... They are still alive.
Students' assessments of Bishop varied. Some recalled an attentive, friendly teacher, while others said she was an odd woman who couldn't simplify difficult subjects for students. Sammie Lee Davis, the husband of a tenured researcher who was killed, said his wife had described Bishop as "not being able to deal with reality" and "not as good as she thought she was."

Davis said his wife was a tenured researcher at the university. In a brief phone interview, Davis said he was told his wife was at a meeting to discuss the tenure status of another faculty member who got angry and started shooting.

Davis' wife, Maria Ragland Davis, was among those killed, along with Gopi K. Podila, chairman of the biological sciences department, and another faculty member, Adriel Johnson.

Bishop had created a portable cell incubator, known as InQ, that was less expensive than its larger counterparts. She and her husband had won $25,000 in 2007 to market the device.

Andrea Bennett, a sophomore majoring in nursing and an athlete at UAH, said a coach told her team that Bishop had been denied tenure, which the coach said may have led to the shooting.

Bennett described Bishop as being "very weird" and "a really big nerd."

"She's well-known on campus, but I wouldn't say she's a good teacher. I've heard a lot of complaints," Bennett said. "She's a genius, but she really just can't explain things."

Amanda Tucker, a junior nursing major from Alabaster, Alabama, had Bishop for anatomy class about a year ago. Tucker said a group of students complained to a dean about Bishop's classroom performance.

"When it came down to tests, and people asked her what was the best way to study, she'd just tell you, 'Read the book.' When the test came, there were just ridiculous questions. No one even knew what she was asking," Tucker said.

However, UAH student Andrew Cole was in Bishop's anatomy class Friday morning and said she seemed perfectly normal.
"She's understanding, and was concerned about students," he said. "I would have never thought it was her."

Nick Lawton, 25, described Bishop as funny and accommodating with students.

"She seemed like a nice enough professor," Lawton said.

The Huntsville campus has about 7,500 students in northern Alabama, not far from the Tennessee line. The university is known for its scientific and engineering programs and often works closely with NASA.

The space agency has a research center on the school's campus, where many scientists and engineers from NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center perform Earth and space science research and development.

The university will remain closed next week, and all athletic events were canceled. The wounded were still recovering in hospitals early Saturday. Luis Cruz-Vera was in fair condition; Joseph Leahy in critical condition; and staffer Stephanie Monticello also was in critical condition.

It's the second shooting in a week on an area campus. On Feb. 5, a 14-year-old student was killed in a middle school hallway in nearby Madison, allegedly by a fellow student.

Mass shootings are rarely carried out by women, said Dr. Park Dietz, who is president of Threat Assessment Group Inc., a Newport Beach, California-based violence prevention firm.

A notable exception was a 1985 rampage at a Springfield, Pennsylvania, mall in which three people were killed. In June 1986, Sylvia Seegrist was deemed guilty but mentally ill on three counts of murder and seven counts of attempted murder in the shooting spree.

Dietz, who interviewed Seegrist after her arrest, said it was possible the suspect in Friday's shooting had a long-standing grudge against colleagues or superiors and felt complaints had not been dealt with fairly.
Gregg McCrary, a retired FBI agent and private criminal profiler based in Fredericksburg, Virginia, said there is no typical outline of a mass shooter but noted they often share a sense of paranoia, depression or a feeling that they are not appreciated.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »

Police surround the Shelby Center at University of Alabama in Huntsville, Ala. after a shooting Friday, Feb. 12, 2010. A woman opened fire during a biology faculty meeting at the University of Alabama's Huntsville campus Friday, killing three faculty members and injuring two other faculty members and a staff member.
(AP Photo/Huntsville Times, Dave Dieter) NO SALES, MAGS out

Shooting victims are wheeled out of the Shelby Center at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, Ala. Friday Feb 12, 2010. A woman opened fire during a biology faculty meeting at the University of Alabama's Huntsville campus Friday, killing three faculty members and injuring two other faculty members and a staff member.
(AP Photo/Huntsville Times, Bob Gathany) MAGS OUT; NO SALES

Paramedics rush a shooting victim out of the Shelby Center at the University of Alabama campus, Friday, Feb. 12, 2010 in Huntsville, Ala.. A woman opened fire during a biology faculty meeting at the University of Alabama's Huntsville campus Friday, killing three faculty members and injuring two other faculty members and a staff member.
(AP Photo/Huntsville Times, Eric Schultz) MAGS OUT; NO SALES

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Shooting-University-Alabama-Huntsville/ss/events/us/021210shootingala/im:/100213/480/9c95d2a4aa2f480e87b136243609cfb0/#photoViewer=/100213/480/aa3d280b4c0b4a44b67e937e313f6328

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 07:21:58 PM »

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/professor_accus.html
Professor accused in Ala. slayings shot her brother in Mass. 24 years ago
EmailE-mail|Link February 13, 2010 06:01 PM
By John M. Guilfoil and Martin Finucane, Globe Staff     

BRAINTREE -- The University of Alabama biology professor accused of slaying three of her colleagues fatally shot her brother in Massachusetts more than two decades ago, a local police chief said today, while at the same time raising troubling questions about how the long-ago incident was handled.
The Boston Globe reported at the time that Amy Bishop had accidentally shot her 18-year-old brother, Seth M. Bishop, an accomplished violinist who had won a number of science awards, in Braintree.

Braintree Police Chief Paul Frazier confirmed today at a news conference that Amy Bishop had shot her brother in 1986. But Frazier offered a different account of the shooting, saying Bishop had shot her brother during an argument and was being booked by police when the chief at the time ordered the booking process stopped and Bishop released to her mother.

Frazier said he was basing his statements on the memories of one of his officers who was on the department at the time and had arrested Bishop. He said the records from the case have been missing since at least 1988.

"I don't want to use the word 'coverup' ... but this does not look good," he said.

Then-Police Chief John Polio told the Globe in 1986 that Bishop had asked her mother, Judith, in the presence of her brother how to unload a round from the chamber of a 12-gauge shotgun.

Polio told the Globe that while Amy Bishop was handling the weapon, it fired, wounding Seth Bishop in the abdomen. He was pronounced dead at a hospital 46 minutes after the Dec. 6, 1986 shooting.
Every indication at this point in time leads us to believe it was an accidental shooting," Polio said at the time.

In an interview at his home this afternoon, Polio, 87, said, "There was no coverup." He said he followed all department procedures and then-District Attorney William Delahunt's office conducted an inquiry and the decision was made not to file charges.
Polio at times fumbled over names and did not remember some details of the case. He was not aware until told by reporters that Bishop was accused of the shootings in Alabama.

Delahunt, who is now a US representative, could not immediately be reached for comment this afternoon.

But Frazier said the media had been fed an incorrect story. He said that there was an argument at the home on Hollis Avenue and Amy Bishop had fired three shots, including the fatal one, then fled the house and pointed the shotgun at a motorist in an attempted carjack. She was then arrested at gunpoint by officers.

In Friday's shooting, Bishop, 42, a Harvard-educated neurobiologist, allegedly shot and killed three of her colleagues and wounded three others in an apparent tenure dispute at the Huntsville campus, the Associated Press reports.

Video at link

~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/6866276.html
Accused Alabama prof shot, killed brother in 1986
By KRISTIN M. HALL and DESIREE HUNTER Associated Press Writer © 2010 The Associated Press
Feb. 13, 2010, 5:50PM

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — The professor accused of killing three colleagues during a faculty meeting was a Harvard-educated neurobiologist, inventor and mother whose life had been marred by a violent episode in her distant past.

More than two decades ago, police said Amy Bishop fatally shot her teenage brother at their Massachusetts home in what officers at the time logged as an accident — though authorities said Saturday that records of the shooting are missing.

Bishop had just months left teaching at the University of Alabama in Huntsville when police said she opened fire with a handgun Friday in a room filled with a dozen of her colleagues from the school's biology department. Bishop, a rare woman suspected in a workplace shooting, was to leave after this semester because she had been denied tenure.

Police say she is 42, but the university's Web site lists her as 44.

Some have said she was upset after being denied the job-for-life security afforded tenured academics, and the husband of one victim and one of Bishop's students said they were told the shooting stemmed from the school's refusal to grant her such status. Authorities have refused to discuss a motive, and school spokesman Ray Garner said the faculty meeting wasn't called to discuss tenure.

William Setzer, chairman of chemistry department at UAH, said Bishop was appealing the decision made last year.

"Politics and personalities" always play a role in the tenure process, he said. "In a close department it's more so. If you have any lone wolves or bizarre personalities, it's a problem and I'm thinking that certainly came into play here."

The three killed were Gopi K. Podila, the chairman of the Department of Biological Sciences, and two other faculty members, Maria Ragland Davis and Adriel Johnson. The wounded were still recovering in hospitals early Saturday. Luis Cruz-Vera was in fair condition; Joseph Leahy in critical condition; and staffer Stephanie Monticciolo also was in critical condition.

Descriptions of Bishop from students and colleagues were mixed. Some saw a strange woman who had difficulty relating to her students, while others described a witty, intelligent teacher.

Students and colleagues described Bishop as intelligent, but someone who often had difficulty explaining difficult concepts.

Bishop was well-known in the research community, appearing on the cover of the winter 2009 issue of "The Huntsville R&D Report," a local magazine focusing on engineering, space and genetics. However, it was unclear how many of her colleagues and students knew about a more tragic part of her past.

She shot her brother, an 18-year-old accomplished violinist, in the chest in 1986, said Paul Frazier, the police chief in Braintree, Mass., where the shooting occurred. Bishop fired at least three shots, hitting her brother once and hitting her bedroom wall before police took her into custody at gunpoint, he said.

Frazier said the police chief at the time told officers to release Bishop to her mother before she could be booked. It was logged as an accident.

But Frazier's account was disputed by former police Chief John Polio, who told The Associated Press he didn't call officers to tell them to release Bishop. "There's no cover-up, no missing records," he said.

Attempts by AP to track down addresses and phone numbers for Bishop's family in the Braintree area weren't immediately successful Saturday. The current police chief said he believed her family had moved away.

After being educated at Harvard University, Bishop moved to Huntsville and in 2003 became an associate professor at the University of Alabama's campus there. The school, with about 7,500 students, has close ties with NASA and is known for its engineering and science programs.

Setzer, the chemistry chairman, said he was not aware of the incident with Bishop's brother.

Bishop and her husband placed third in a statewide university business plan competition in July 2007, presenting a portable cell incubator they had invented. They won $25,000 to help start a company to market the device.

Her husband, James Anderson, was detained and questioned by police but has not been charged. Police said Bishop was quickly caught after Friday's shooting. A 9-millimeter handgun was found in the bathroom of the building where the shootings occurred, and Huntsville police spokesman Sgt. Mark Roberts said Bishop did not have a permit for it.

Bishop was in custody and it wasn't immediately known if she has an attorney. No one was home at the couple's house.

Several experts said campus shootings commonly occur because the shooter has some kind of festering grievance that university officials haven't addressed, and the granting of tenure can be a polarizing and politicized process for many academics.

"Universities tend to string it out without resolution, tolerate too much and to have a cumbersome decision process that endangers the comfort of many and the safety of some," said Dr. Park Dietz, who is president of Threat Assessment Group Inc., a Newport Beach, Calif.-based violence prevention firm.

Tenure, which makes firing and other discipline difficult if not impossible, can seem generous to outsiders. But the job protection gives professors the freedom to express ideas and conduct studies without fear of reprisal. The system typically emphasizes research over teaching, and tenured professors typically are paid more.

While it's rare for the stresses of the tenure process to incur violence, what's even rarer is for a woman to be accused in such an incident like the one Friday that also left three of Bishop's colleagues injured, two critically.

"Workplace shootings of that kind are overwhelmingly male," said Franklin E. Zimring, a law professor and director of violence prevention at the University of California, Berkeley. "Going postal was essentially a monopoly position of the XY chromosome."

___

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 08:13:03 PM »

errrrrrrr.............. re: the incident 24 years ago.

3 shots fired.

deemed an accident

ummmm.....1 shot would be an accident, perhaps...but 3? I don't think so. 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2010, 08:25:28 PM »

Boston Globe Archives Search Results
"( (unq:"0EADEDBDBB6CD0D5") ) " returned 1 article(s) matching your terms. To purchase the full-text of an article, follow the link that says "Click for complete article."

Your search results:

BRAINTREE SHOOTING SEEN AS ACCIDENT
Published on December 8, 1986

An 18-year-old Braintree student, described as an accomplished violinist who had won a number of science awards, was killed Saturday in his home when a shotgun his sister was attempting to unload discharged, police said.

Seth M. Bishop of Braintree died of a gunshot wound to the abdomen, according to a Norfolk County medical examiner and Braintree police investigators.

Police say they have determined that the 12-gauge shotgun was fired by Bishop's older sister, Amy, and that...........
Click for complete article (335 words)

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=BG&p_theme=bg&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EADEDBDBB6CD0D5&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

errrrrrrrrrr................ 12-gauge shotgun fired 3 times is no accident, lol.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »

Huntsville killer shot her brother 24 years ago
Posted on February 13, 2010 by nuke
from Boston.com

The University of Alabama biology professor accused of slaying three of her colleagues fatally shot her brother in an apparent accident in Massachusetts more than two decades ago, a local police chief said.

Braintree Police Chief Paul Frazier confirmed the 1986 shooting in his town and slated a news conference this afternoon to discuss the incident.

The Globe reported at the time that Amy Bishop had shot her 18-year-old brother, Seth M. Bishop, an accomplished violinist who had won a number of science awards.

John Polio, chief of police at the time, said Amy Bishop, who was 20 at the time, had asked her mother, Judith, in the presence of her brother how to unload a round from the chamber of a 12-gauge shotgun.

Polio told the Globe that while Amy Bishop was handling the weapon, it fired, wounding Seth Bishop in the abdomen. He was pronounced dead at a hospital 46 minutes after the Dec. 6, 1986 shooting.

“Every indication at this point in time leads us to believe it was an accidental shooting,” Polio said at the time.

http://nukegingrich.com/

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.