April 26, 2024, 10:48:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Unraveling the Profit Puzzle at Goldman Sachs" - follow the money  (Read 1452 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: February 14, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »

PAUL SOLMAN: But isn't this front-running, trading ahead of your clients to profit from the price changes that will come from the clients' trades, but for your own firm's benefit? And isn't that, strictly speaking, illegal?

DAVID STOCKMAN: The long and ancient secret of Wall Street is, they have always been front-running their clients. In other words, when you're in the customer trading business, and then you're in the proprietary business, which trade are you making first? I don't know. And, if it's in milliseconds, how's anybody going to figure it out?

So, I don't know if you ought to get all exercised on that or not, but the fact they make all this money in proprietary trading is clearly part and parcel of being a massive player, dealer, in the markets for both customer trades and house trades.

PAUL SOLMAN: So, Goldman might insist that, technically, it isn't front-running, or that the charge could never be proved.

Here he is talking about the AIG takeover in another NewsHour/Sloan Foundation/Paul Solman piece:

It's part of the capitalist system. You know, if an investment bank gets in trouble, it ought to fail. If a hedge fund gets in trouble, it ought to fail.

The idea that our system is so fragile that the failure of Lehman Brothers or even Goldman Sachs, which could have happened, allegedly, in the next few days, would have brought the whole system down, I think, is baloney. I think it's an urban legend that was created by Wall Street.

read more here -
http://seekingalpha.com/article/188454-unraveling-the-profit-puzzle-at-goldman-sachs

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:06:10 AM »

from the comments -

john s. gordon

front-running is always illegal except when it's done by golman sucks.
having lots of friends & alumni in high places sure does pay off.
> jack

Hmmm...HFT and dark pools...

How would anyone know what goes on there and how the folks on Main Street are being cheated?  Manipulated?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.