March 29, 2024, 03:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kevin Smith aka "Silent Bob" Ejected from Southwest Flt. for Being Too Fat  (Read 1596 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: February 14, 2010, 11:17:45 PM »

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20344142,00.html
Kevin Smith 'Too Fat' to Fly Southwest

By Bob Meadows

Kevin Smith, sitting on a second Southwest Air flight
Courtesy Kevin Smith

Sunday February 14, 2010 04:10 PM EST
Kevin Smith's most famous role is a guy who rarely speaks. But he's got a lot to say – much of it profane – after being kicked off a Southwest Air flight because he didn't fit comfortably into the seat.

"You [messed] with the wrong sedentary processed-foods eater!" Smith, whose next film, Cop Out, comes out Feb. 26, posted on Twitter.

It was one of many Tweets recounting the actor/director's humiliating expulsion Saturday from the Oakland-to-Burbank, Calif. flight. Southwest said in a statement airline officials had called Smith to offer their "heartfelt apologies," but also stated his removal was for the "safety and comfort of all customers."

Smith, 39, originally purchased two tickets "as he's been known to do when traveling Southwest," the airline noted, but when he decided to fly standby on an earlier flight, only one seat remained. Although he had been seated, he was asked to leave.

"If a customer cannot comfortably lower the armrest and infringes on a portion of another seat, a customer seated adjacent would be very uncomfortable and a timely exit from the aircraft in the event of an emergency might be compromised if we allow a cramped, restricted seating arrangement," Southwest said.

I'm Fat
Smith, who played Silent Bob in his Clerks movies and who has battled his weight for years – "I know I'm fat," he confesses – was given a $100 voucher and arrived in Burbank on a later flight. But he was in no mood to accept an apology.

"I broke no regulation, offered no 'safety risk' (what, was I gonna roll on a fellow passenger?)" he Tweeted. "I saw someone bigger than me on THAT flight! But I wasn't about to throw a fellow Fatty under the plane as I'm being profiled. But he & I made eye contact, & he was like 'Please don't tell...'"

After landing in Burbank, Smith wrote, "Don't worry: wall of the plane was opened & I was airlifted out while Richard Simmons supervised."

Smith added that while the ordeal was embarrassing, his "Jersey Girl training" (the 2004 flop starring Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez) was helping him cope.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:22:09 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/kevin-smith-fat-fly/story?id=9837268

Kevin Smith Too Fat to Fly
Southwest Boots Director but He Tweets Back With a Vengeance

According to his twitter stream at (@ThatKevinSmith), Kevin Smith, the director of Clerks and Chasing Amy was kicked off a Southwest Airlines flight from Oakland to Burbank yesterday for being too "fat," thus creating a "safety risk."
(Getty Images)

By YUNJIi de NIES and SUZANNE YEO
Feb. 14, 2010
Actor-director Kevin Smith has made a career by saying nothing as the character Silent Bob in hit movies such as "Clerks" and "Mallrats." But the comedian has had plenty to say on Twitter after Southwest Airlines removed him from a flight Saturday for being too fat.
Overweight Kevin Smith thrown off Southwest, then tweets about it.

Smith, 39, has responded with the ultimate "tweak out," flooding his Twitter page with angry messages against the airline.

His first tweet read, "Dear @SouthwestAir I know I'm fat, but was [the] captain […] really justified in throwing me off a flight for which I was already seated?"

In accordance with Southwest's "customers of size" policy, Smith had purchased two tickets but then stood by for an earlier flight, which had one seat remaining. That is when the airline forced him off the plane.
Related

Smith was irate, tweeting, "So, @SouthwestAir, go f*** yourself. I broke no regulation, offered no "safety risk" (what, was I gonna roll on a fellow passenger?)" When he later boarded another flight, he posted a picture of himself in the seat, writing, "Hey @SouthwestAir Look how fat I am on your plane! Quick! Throw me off!"

Upon landing in Burbank from Oakland, he tweeted, "Hey @SouthwestAir I've landed in Burbank. Don't worry: wall of the plane was opened & I was airlifted out while Richard Simmons supervised."

The airline is not laughing. They tweeted multiple apologies and offered Smith a $100 voucher. He refused the coupon and responded with another tweet: "F*** your apologetic $100 voucher, @SouthwestAir"

Southwest Airlines said its "customers of size" policy has been on the books for 25 years. Most of the airlines have similar rules for safety and the comfort of other passengers. But few carriers enforce them.

"The larger people are definitely being discriminated against but the problem is the airlines are just hurting for cash, they have to come up with all different ways to make money these days," air travel expert Johnny Discalla said. "And the seats are getting smaller and the people are getting bigger."
NAAFA Calls for Boycott

The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance is calling for a Southwest boycott. It issued a statement urging "people of size to seek out and travel airlines that do not have such discriminatory policies."

Meanwhile, Smith continued to tweet his disdain for the airline and looked for an alternative airline. One tweet read, "Dear Other Airlines (including [the fictitious] Oceanic, sans Flight 815): I'm in the market for a flight east this Thurs. Which one of you likes fat people?"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:24:06 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.