March 28, 2024, 08:32:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William ( Billy ) Smolinski, Jr missing since 8/24/2004 from Waterbury CT  (Read 23280 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: February 15, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »

http://www.justice4billy.com/

Missing: August 24, 2004
Missing Age: 31 Years Old
Sex: Male
Race: White
Hair: Light Brown
Eyes: Blue
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 200 lbs.
DOB:  01/14/73
Missing From: Waterbury, CT USA

TATTOO’S: A tattoo of a blue cross with the name Pruitt in the cross on left forearm, a tattoo of a blue cross with an orange outline on right shoulder. His left ear is pierced with a small diamond.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »

Thanks Klaas..I am very familiar with this case and I was sure we already had him listed, but a search always turned up nothing. And yet..I was still sure he was here, lol.

Now I know he is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Haven Register
February 13, 2010 Saturday

Smolinski case to be aired on TV show

The mystery surrounding the disappearance of Waterbury resident William Smolinski Jr. will get national exposure Monday night, when the case premieres on the new television show "Disappeared."

Smolinski was 31 when he was last seen Aug. 24, 2004. Police say they believe he was the victim of foul play, and they have searched without success for his body in Shelton and Seymour.

His mother, Janice Smolinski of Cheshire, said the production crew spent more than a week in Connecticut, and hours interviewing her and her husband, William Smolinski Sr.

The episode featuring her son's case debuts at 10 p.m. Monday on "Investigation Discovery."
"I am absolutely hoping the show will bring in tips," Janice Smolinski said. "Whenever there is publicity about the case, people do come forward and talk about it. Maybe this show will bring out someone else. Everything points to Billy being murdered, but there are different versions of how it was done. I am hoping we'll get answers soon."

The Smolinski family has been putting up fliers about the show, particularly in communities where they hope to get the most viewers due to connections to the case, including Woodbridge, Bethany, Seymour and Shelton.

"The show is an hour long, and it should be pretty powerful," Janice Smolinski said. "Hopefully, the right people will be watching it and will talk."

Shelton police Detective Ben Trabka, an investigator on the case, is among those who participated in the show.

"I'm hoping this will generate some new leads, so we can find his body and help bring closure to the family," Trabka said. "We are working on the case, and the investigative team meets every couple of weeks to follow up on leads."

A preview of the show notes that critical information in a missing persons case is often hidden in the person's actions and words in the days before their disappearance.

According to Elizabeth Fischer, executive producer of the series, the Smolinski case jumped out when they began researching potential stories.

"Here is a tight-knit family that had every reason to believe that they would know what was going on with the whereabouts of Billy, and in an instant that all changed," Fischer said in an e- mail. "There are so many puzzling layers to it, and the intensity of the family's concern has been quite moving. Lots of cases get local coverage, but because 'Disappeared' shines a national spotlight on the stories, there's an increased chance of a potential break in the case."

According to the show's Web site, it asks viewers to give tips to help crack cold cases and finally resolve the mystery of what happened when someone vanished.

"I hope 'Disappeared' becomes popular so it will encourage the filming of episodes on more cases," Janice Smolinski said. "Someone knows something in each case, and it is important to keep the cases in the public eye."

Billy's episode, "Favorite Son," has the following description: "Billy Smolinski is a hard-working tough guy who suddenly disappears a week after discovering that his girlfriend is cheating on him. Although police don't suspect the woman, clues point their investigation in the direction of her now-dead son."

Waterbury police reports show a tale of drama in the days before Billy disappeared, including a love triangle that resulted in a break-up with his girlfriend, Madeleine Gleason.

Gleason told Waterbury police Smolinski broke up with her because he thought she was cheating on him, that he left her place in the early morning of Aug. 24, 2004, "a little depressed," and that was the last time she saw him.

Police reports show Gleason had also been seeing a married man, who told police he got a phone message Aug. 24, 2004, in which the man addressed him by name and left a message stating, "You better watch your back."

Smolinski's sister, Paula Bell, identified the voice on the message as her brother's, according to a police report.

In 2006, a tipster told Waterbury police that Gleason's son, Shaun Karpiuk, killed Smolinski because he had beaten up Gleason in her apartment. The tipster reported hearing that Karpiuk and a male accomplice then buried Smolinski.

Karpiuk died in 2005 at age 27 of a drug overdose. Gleason, however, has told investigators her children didn't have any problems with Smolinski, police reports show.

Gleason, a Woodbridge resident, has a 2006 lawsuit against Smolinski family members in Superior Court in New Haven, claiming defamation, saying they have falsely accused her of involvement.

For more information on the show, visit http:// investigation.discovery.com/tv/disappeared/.

Anyone with information on the Smolinski case may call the Federal Bureau of Investigation at 203-777-6311. Trabka can be reached at 203-924-0212.
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1127047437&start=5

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:18:38 PM »

An Effort to Find the Missing Missing
By: Lewis Beale | January 29, 2010 | 12:45 PM

Legislation named for a missing 31-year-old man would tie together the various data threads on the nation's missing persons.

A bill currently wending its way through the U.S. Congress seeks to simplify the way state and federal officials keep track of missing persons, as well as help keep family members informed of the progress of their cases.

The "Help Find the Missing Act" has been dubbed "Billy's Law," after Billy Smolinski, a 31-year-old Connecticut resident who went missing in 2004. Co-sponsored by Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas, and Rep. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., the bill would combine the National Missing and Unidentified Person System database, or NamUs, the only federal missing persons and unidentified remains database accessible to the public, with the National Crime Information Center, the FBI's database.

"A family that has lost a loved one to violent crime is forced to bear a terrible burden," said Poe during recent testimony before the House Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security. "This burden is made even worse when the family is not able to determine what exactly happened to their loved one."

There are more than 100,000 unsolved missing persons cases open at any given time, and nearly 4,400 unidentified human remains are found in an average year. Some of the latter are not only from those reported missing by friends and family members, but belong to the "missing missing," the drifters, runaways and prostitutes whose absence is never recorded.

As Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis professor Kenna Quinet told Miller-McCune in 2008, identifying the missing often is "an information issue. ... It's a matter of in the U.S. we did not have a system that linked missing persons and unidentified dead."

The bill, Murphy said during the same hearing, aims to fill some loopholes and address this situation. "Many local law enforcement agencies, medical examiners and coroners don't have the resources to report missing adults and unidentified remains," he said. "There is no central database to report missing persons and unidentified remains," and "many local law enforcement personnel do not know about the federal missing persons databases or how best to handle these cases."

Billy's Law aims to rectify this situation by combining NamUs and the FBI database, creating grants to encourage reporting to the connected databases and requires the Department of Justice to issue information about the databases, and the best ways to respond to these cases, through grants that would train personnel on how to submit information to the databases
"Looking for your missing loved one becomes a full-time job," said Janice Somlinski, Billy Smolinski's mother, who also testified at the hearing. "You have to continually hound the police, knock on doors, make phone calls, visit the media. NamUs makes this process easier as you can both enter information yourself and search the database. Moreover, the connected NCIC/NamUs database that the legislation creates increases the chances of finding answers."
http://miller-mccune.com/news/an-effort-to-find-the-missing-missing-1775

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »

Shame in Connecticut: The Disappearance of Billy Smolinski

Posted by Holliston at 2/18/2008 9:14 PM and is filed under Missing,Billy Smolinski

There can be no worse feeling in the world than having a child, no matter what age, go missing. For Jan Smolinski and her family, there is a worse feeling. Having no one in authority to help. This story is going to take a little while to write because it's so complicated. In the meantime, please check out the websites dedicated to Billy Smolinski. Justice4Billy and his MySpace page has a lot of information to take in. What you'll learn is this (and I'll go into much more detail later).

Billy has been missing since August 24, 2004 from Waterbury, Connecticut. He was 31 at the time. He had just broken up with his girlfriend who had also been carrying on a relationship with a local town politician. As Billy's family put up missing person flyers, this same ex-girlfriend went around and tore them down. The Waterbury police didn't take his disappearance seriously and, in fact, lost 3 DNA samples the family had given.

News media have been sued for covering the story as have Billy's parents. And more than 3 years later, Billy is still gone with no clues.

Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong for this family simply trying to find their son. Even the state government has turned their shoulder on them. Something has to be done.

Here is a story that appeared in the Waterbury ******* by writer John Murray in September 2007. It is chilling to read.

Hundreds of people throughout the Northeast gathered on the Naugatuck Green Sunday night, August 26th, to conduct a candlelight vigil for Billy Smolinski, who disappearred three years ago from his home in Waterbury. Friends and family remembered Billy, clergy offered prayer, private investigator Mike Ward spoke about the need for better police training, and ******* publisher, John Murray, gave the following remarks.....

Three years ago Billy Smolinski vanished from his life. For the first 18 months, like many people in greater Waterbury, I followed the story by reading accounts of his disappearance in the local daily newspaper. The articles informed us that Billy had gone north to look for a car and had asked his neighbor to watch his dog for a few days.

But there were strange circumstances. Billy had left his wallet and keys tucked beneath the driver’s seat of his truck, and his family said Billy didn’t need another car.

The explanation for his alleged trip up north didn’t make sense. Who goes car shopping without their wallet? And how did Billy get up north, because his truck was left behind at the bottom of his driveway, parked mysteriously in a spot Billy never parked in.

There were lots of questions, and no answers.

Months passed and I saw missing person posters of Billy all over Waterbury, and like many other people, wondered what had happened to him. Why hadn’t he come back home?

Eight months after Billy vanished I read reports in the local media that Billy’s mom, Janice Smolinski, had been arrested in Woodbridge and charged with harassing Billy’s ex-girlfriend, Madeleine Gleason.
Odd, I thought, Janice Smolinski must have snapped while searching for her missing son.

On the first anniversary of his disappearance the Republican-American newspaper published the first in-depth article about the case and it covered lots of familiar territory – the trip up north and Janice’s arrest. The story still seemed odd. How could his family know that Billy wasn’t off on an extended walkabout?

Six months later I received an e-mail from a friend of Billy’s, Dawn Breen, asking if I would consider writing a story on Billy’s disappearance. I met with Dawn and she provided the kick in the behind I needed to get involved.

I called Janice and Bill Smolinski and requested an interview. The story they told was shocking.

They didn’t think Billy was missing, they believed Billy had been murdered. There were stunning revelations about a love triangle involving Billy, Madeleine Gleason, and Chris Sorenson, an elected official in Woodbridge. On the day he disappeared Billy called his male rival and threatened him, it is believed to be the last phone call Billy Smolinski ever made.

After conducting several days of interviews with the Smolinski family, and the Waterbury Police Department, the ******* published a 7000 word story called “Gone”, in March 2006. We named Madeleine Gleason, ran a photograph of her in the ******* and aired out explosive details in the case.

The Smolinskis implored the Waterbury Police Department to proble deeper into the love triangle, but neither Madeleine Gleason or Chris Sorenson was ever given a lie detector test.

When one stops to ponder several bizarre circumstances surrounding the love triangle, it is easy to see why the Smolinski family demanded further probing.

At the time of Billy’s disappearance, Madeleine Gleason’s son Shaun Karpiuk, was a construction worker with Top Gun Landscaping and had previously worked as a a grave digger in Seymour. Shaun died of a drug overdose in Waterbury three months after Billy disappeared.

And Chris Sorenson, the other part of the love triangle, worked for a long distance trucking company in Woodbridge.

I wrote at the time- “there are enough red flags fluttering around the case to start a flag store.”

Three months after the ******* story was published Madeleine Gleason sued the *******, Janice Smolinski, and Paula Bell for harassment and invasion of privacy. The suit was brought by high powered New Haven attorney John Williams.

The lawsuit was a feeble attempt to stop the ******* from printing the truth, and to strap both the Smolinskis and the Waterbury ******* with financial hardship.

Neither the Smolinski family or the Waterbury ******* will back down from their effort to find out what happened to Billy Smolinski. Unanswered questions hang in the air.

When you place the facts out in the open we have an explosive love triangle, a threatening phone call, a mysterious disappearance, a politician, a grave digger and a long distance trucking company.

When I confronted the chief detective from the Waterbury Police Department with these facts he told me that Billy was probably having a beer somewhere in Europe, and that he suspected no foul play.

From the very beginning Bill and Janice Smolinski had difficulty getting the Waterbury Police Department to take Billy’s disappearance seriously. Problem #1 was that Billy was a physically fit 31 year old male who appeared capable of fending for himself. Problem #2 was that Billy’s neighbor had told police that Billy had headed north for a few days to check out a car. That comment threw everybody off the trail.

The Smolinskis are a close family and Billy lived with his parents into his late 20s. Bill and Janice Smolinski immediately recognized something was wrong, but were unable to get the Waterbury Police Department to share their concern. Law enforcement officers across the country go into a heightened state of alert if a child goes missing. The media snaps to attention when children, or attractive young women disappear, but when a vigorous 31 year old man goes missing, nobody cares.

Except his family.

The Smolinskis organized city-wide searches, brought in dogs, hired private investigators and hung thousands of missing person posters around Connecticut. But they couldn’t capture the attention of the Waterbury Police Department, who told the family that Billy would come home when he was ready. The police noted that Billy had been wrestling with issues in his personal life at the time of his disappearance – romance problems and the loss of a job – and speculated he had either fled town, or committed suicide.

The Smolinskis didn’t buy it.

With no assistance coming from the Waterbury police, the Smolinskis began investigating clues themselves. Their search led them into Woodbridge, where they found someone had been defacing and removing Billy’s missing person flyers. With the help of other family members the Smolinskis set up surveillance shifts to see if they could catch the culprit. The answer stunned them – it was Madeleine Gleason, Billy’s ex-girlfriend. The Smolinskis videotaped Gleason ripping down posters and brought the film to the Waterbury police, who, according to the Smolinskis, were disinterested.

Meanwhile the Smolinski family had been badgering the FBI to get involved in the case because they had lost confidence in the Waterbury PD. The Waterbury investigators had lost or misplaced three DNA samples from the Smolinskis and had been unable to properly file a missing person report with the National Crime Information Center.

In July 2006 the FBI collected DNA samples from Janice Smolinski and began the process of uploading the information into CODIS, the national DNA data bank run by the FBI. In August 2006 the FBI stepped in and took over the investigation into Billy’s disappearance.

In early May it seemed that the FBI’s investigation was about to pay dividends. Acting on a tip called into CrimeStoppers that stated who killed Billy and where he was buried, the FBI, in conjunction with the Connecticut State Police and the Waterbury Police Department, dug several holes around Shelton in an effort to uncover Billy’s body.

After an unsuccessful day of excavation a police spokesperson said the search would renew in the morning, but what ensued is four months of silence. Law enforcement officers believe they know what might have happened to Billy Smolinski three years ago, but they have no proof. The case is still defined by unanswered questions.

But for the past three years while the Waterbury police and the FBI slogged away at their own investigations, Janice utilized the internet to try and find her son. She couldn’t get anyone to listen to her in Connecticut, but she began to find information on the internet from Las Vegas, from Florida, and from other families who were looking for their loved ones.

What Janice found shocked her. She hadn’t realized the scope of the problem. She spent months learning about DNA and the local, state and national DNA data banks. The more she learned, the more problems she encountered. Janice was peeking into Pandora’s Box, and inside the box was a tangled mess of training, funding and computer nightmares.

Here is what she found...

• There are 110,000 active missing person cases in the Unites States, and there are currently 700 Connecticut residents on that list.

• There is no one data base that lists all the missing in Connecticut or the United States. There are several different systems and the computors can’t communicate with each other. Billy Smolinski is listed in the FBI’s missing person files, but the Connecticut State Police have no mention of him in theirs.

• Police response to a missing person report varies wildly from town to town, and from state to state. There is no uniform response for police officers to handle missing person cases in the United States, and as a result precious time and evidence is often squandered. Most communities have an immediate response to the report of a missing child - the Amber Alert - but missing adult cases are not handled with the same intensity and purpose.

• Medical examiners and coroners have 40,000 unidentified human remains in their possession. Bill Hagmaier, a national expert on the issue of unidentfied and the missing has publically stated many of the missing are victims of homicide and are being stored as unidentiifed dead by cornors across the country.

• The way to solve a substantial amount of these cases is to cross reference the unidentified dead with DNA samples from the missing. For this to happen police have to collect and process DNA samples from the family of the missing, and medical examiners must collect and upload DNA samples from the unidentified dead. This is not happening.

• Despite major scientific breakthroughs in the use of DNA as an investigative tool, the information and training has not trickled down to local law enforcement agencies. As a result local police are often unaware of the proper way to collect DNA samples, and even if they do collect it, they don’t know how to process it. Despite all the television dramas, we don’t live in a CSI society. Training has not caught up to science.

While the FBI launched its own investigation into Billy’s disappearance, Janice Smolinski went to work to try and change the laws in Connecticut concerning how local and state police respond to the report of a missing person. She testified before two legislative committees in Hartford and is the driving force behind Bill #5273 that was signed into law this June.

Her initial bill was based off model legislation created by the Department of Justice and mandated a uniform response from law enforcement officers in Connecticut when responding to a report of a missing person. The 14 page document detailed information an officer must collect and process, and gave an exact time line for filing reports with the Connecticut State Police and FBI.

But somehow just before the bill left the House of Representitives the 14 page document was condensed to one page and all the details were replaced with vague generalities. The bill had suddenly taken a hard detour into the hands of the Connecticut Police Officers Standards and Training Council, who were given until January 1st, 2008 to come back to the table with their own proposal, or the model legislation introduced by Janice would go into effect.

On August 9th Janice had a productive meeting with the executive director of the council, Thomas Flaherty, who agreed changes are needed, but is reluctant to mandate the changes.

That’s insane.

New procedures in how Connecticut police handle missing person cases has to be mandated. The Governor has signed this into law. The police in Connecticut have to enforce the law, especially when the laws apply directly to them. Laws are not voluntary. Police should follow the law or be punished.

Pressure may have to be applied to the state legislature to ensure that our politicians and police to the right thing for the safety of all Connecticut residents.

This story started with the disappearance of Billy Smolinski, but it has expanded into a crusade by his mother to change the laws about the missing.

Janice is in the final stretch of inacting change in Connecticut, but she isn’t stopping there. She has lobbied Connecticut’s congressional delegation to introduce a bill into Congress that would create a law across America mandating how all law enforcement officers in the United States respond to a report of a missing person.

Janice has talked with Congressman Chris Murphy’s office and has been corresponding with Senator Joe Lieberman’s staff on how to move this initiative forward. Waterbury police chief Neil O’Leary has also been very helpful with writing letters of support to the state legislature and to Senator Lieberman’s office. Chief O’Leary has said his department botched the case and it’s time that police officers receive mandated training on DNA and how to respond to the missing. That’s progress.

The number one priority for Janice and Bill Smolinski is to find out what happened to Billy and bring him home. But this isn’t just about Billy anymore, it’s about a grieving family who encountered a broken system and is trying to fix it. Their efforts give new meaning to the words Homeland Security. My first impression of Janice Smolinski was from a news report after she was arrested. I thought she might be a bit touched. Now, two years later, I can emphatically tell you that she is one of the most amazing people I have ever encountered in my life. If she’s touched, she’s touched by an angel. She is driven by a belief that all things happen for reason, and she is intent on finding a meaning in the madness that surrounds her.

Although Bill Smolinski isn’t as outspoken as his wife, it is his quiet strength, and total support of her work that sustains her in these troubling times. They make an amazing team, but in order to tackle state and national issues they need you to join their team.

In the weeks ahead it is important to contact your state representitives and implore them to mandate the new policies about the missing. It is also important to contact your congressman and senators to urge them to seek a federal solution to this disgraceful national crisis.

While much of Washington D.C. remains focused on fighting terrorism abroad, we face terror from within. There are 110,000 brothers and sisters missing, and 40,000 unidentified dead Americans stored in morgues.

It’s time we gave a voice to this silent crisis.
It’s time for all of us to join with Janice and Bill Smolinski and demand a change.
It’s the least we can do for Billy.
http://zerogossip.com/2008/02/18/shame-in-connecticut--the-disappearance-of-billy-smolinski.aspx

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:24:11 PM »

This case has always bugged the crap out of me... 

Smolinski's Truck Searched 4 Years Later
Police Perform Forensics Analysis Of Vehicle

POSTED: 3:27 pm EDT October 8, 2008

WATERBURY, Conn. -- Four years after a Waterbury man went missing, investigators have conducted a forensics analysis on the man’s truck.

Based on new developments, police said they have decided to look at the truck for possible clues, including DNA evidence, that could lead them to Billy Smolinksi.

Police To Search Truck In 4-Year-Old Case

Smolinski’s parents said they’ve kept the truck in storage because they believed it might hold some answers. His mother, Janice, said they "felt the truck may have been involved in the crime, but the police ignored our concerns at that time."

"It took four years to reach the point we are at right now, with constant work to keep Billy's name out of the cold case files," she said.

Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance said Tuesday that he had no comment because it’s an open case.

The 31-year-old construction worker disappeared Aug. 24, 2004.

Over the summer, police excavated a Seymour Farm in connection to the case but found nothing.

The Smolinskis are currently in Denver, Colo., where Janice recently acted as the keynote speaker for an event held by Families of Homicide Victims and Missing Persons Inc.
http://www.wfsb.com/news/17662381/detail.html#-

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:50:08 PM »

Nice site w/ lots of photos
http://smolinski.4ourangel.com/

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/smolinski_wp.htm

http://www.amw.com/missing_persons/brief.cfm?id=37752

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smolinski_william.html

http://www.411gina.org/williamsmolinskijr.htm

http://mymilkcarton.org/home.php/2008/09/02/missing-william-billy-smolinski-jr

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »

Searching
Monkey Junky

Got my Anti Anthony Koolaid helmet on ,I'm ready!

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:47 PM »

I have his mother Janice as a friend on FB. His case is being featured on the show disappeared tonight on ID. I had e-mailed Klaas because I wanted to get this info out for her.

Janice Smolinski
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local-beat/Smolinski-Case-Re-84396272.html?__source=Facebook
A hot investigation into a cold case, Investigation Discovery’s new program “Disappeared” will revisit the 2004 disappearance of Waterbury resident William Smolinski Jr. tonight at 10 p.m.

Searching
Monkey Junky

Got my Anti Anthony Koolaid helmet on ,I'm ready!

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:03:31 PM »

I have his mother Janice as a friend on FB. His case is being featured on the show disappeared tonight on ID. I had e-mailed Klaas because I wanted to get this info out for her.

Janice Smolinski
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local-beat/Smolinski-Case-Re-84396272.html?__source=Facebook
A hot investigation into a cold case, Investigation Discovery’s new program “Disappeared” will revisit the 2004 disappearance of Waterbury resident William Smolinski Jr. tonight at 10 p.m.

Now that I have this out for her, I hope we can get a lot of people tuning in to watch this show about his case. Thank you all. I have let her know about this link also and will keep tweeting about the show until it airs.

Wanted to add on my post.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 07:58:11 AM »

Airing tonight for anyone who is interested...

May 10,
10:00 pm
60 min(s)
 Disappeared
Favorite Son
 http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/disappeared/the-missing/william-smolinski.html

It airs several times this week

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 09:26:18 AM »

Family to search Valley for missing man
Published: Saturday, July 10, 2010

The family of Waterbury resident William Smolinski Jr., who disappeared nearly six years ago, will be circulating fliers today in several Valley towns in hopes of renewing discussion on the case and bringing in new information, Smolinski’s mother said Friday.

Janice Smolinski of Cheshire said a volunteer group also will have three certified cadaver dogs search locations of interest in the Valley this morning.

“We’re trying to get households to realize that Billy is missing. It’s hard to get the information out. Maybe if they take a flier into their home, there may be somebody talking about the case,” said Janice Smolinski.

“We knew there are people out there who have information. Maybe with talking, they’ll be able to give us that one final piece we need to find out where Billy is actually buried and bring him home.”

Billy Smolinski, 31, disappeared Aug. 24, 2004. According to the FBI, Smolinski asked a neighbor to watch his dog for a few days and indicated he was going to look at a car he was interested in buying.

However, Smolinski’s white Ford pickup truck was found parked outside his Waterbury home. He had left behind his wallet and keys, according to the FBI.

Police have said they think Smolinski was the victim of foul play, and they have searched for his body at several locations, including in Shelton and Seymour.

The public can help pass out the fliers, which offer a $60,000 reward for Smolinski’s return and recovery. Anyone with information can contact the family’s private investigator, Todd C. Lovejoy, at 203-509-5481.

Janice Smolinski said the family has hung some fliers on poles in the past, but never tried a massive flier handout like the one planned for today.

The group will meet at 9 a.m. at Klarides Village on Route 67 in Seymour. Janice Smolinski said they plan to have people stationed outside stores, such as Stop & Shop, in Seymour, Shelton, Ansonia and Oxford.

Also this morning, the volunteer group Resources in Search and Rescue will deploy three cadaver dogs to search specific locations, Janice Smolinski said. She declined to say exactly where they would search.

Cathy Kohut, president of Resources in Search and Rescue of Monroe, said Friday, “The dogs are capable of finding remains that have been out for years.”

The two German shepherds and a Labrador retriever are certified by the International Police Work Dog Association, Kohut said. She said the group is called out by agencies to help with searches for living people and cadavers.

Though the group is newly incorporated, its members have all been certified for four to five years by the International Police Work Dog Association.

In February, Billy Smolinski’s case was featured on the television show “Investigation Discovery: Disappeared.”

Janice Smolinski said the episode played in the United States, South America and Europe, and is now playing in reruns.

“Tips are coming in, and that’s why the dogs are going out, is because of new information. We need that missing piece, and maybe we can get some final answers here,” she said.

Shelton Detective Ben Trabka said the case remains under investigation by Shelton, Waterbury and Seymour police, the state police Major Crimes Unit and the chief state’s attorney’s office.

“We continue to get leads from time to time. Nothing has really panned out, as far as the leads go. But we continue to follow up on any and all leads,” he said. “It’s always good to put something fresh out there and bring it to the public’s attention, just once again.”

Trabka later added, “We do believe there are people with knowledge of his disappearance and where his body is.

Unfortunately, for whatever their own reasons, they haven’t come forward or made themselves available or cooperated with police. They’re not necessarily people who are suspects in his death, but they do have knowledge of where his body is buried.”

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2010/07/10/news/valley/cc1vasmolinski071010.txt

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:28:41 AM »

Search for missing Billy Smolinski

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Saturday, July 10, 2010
Time: 9:00am - 11:00am
Location: Seymour CT McDonald's parking lot, Klarides Village Plaza,Rt 67,

Look for tent and people. There will always be someone there to direct
for flyer run. Cadaver dogs will be searching specific areas where Billy
may be buried.Ti...ps call~ PI Todd Lovejoy

cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 12:29:49 AM »

(There is much more to this article, visit the link for much more)

Connecticut law enforcement make new promises, efforts in Billy Smolinski case

Published: Sunday, April 01, 2012; Last Updated: Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:25 AM EDT

WATERBURY — The hunt for Billy Smolinski’s body and his killer or killers has taken a new turn in recent days, with top law enforcement officials in several agencies promising to coordinate resources and follow up missed leads.

One department is starting from scratch, just to get it right this time.
 ::snipping2::
From the start, the case was marked by police inaction, failures to acknowledge or pursue tips and the arrest of the victim’s mother by Woodbridge police as she posted missing person fliers in town. Indeed, the Waterbury police sat on information that Smolinski was murdered in a Woodbridge apartment and buried in Shelton. When pressed with a Freedom of Information complaint for the case file, they handed off the case to the FBI. The file revealed they did virtually nothing to solve the case.

Persistent reports that Smolinski’s truck was seen in Shelton the night he disappeared — Aug. 24, 2004 — led authorities four years later to do forensic testing on the truck. Even then, a woman who told Shelton police she saw the truck and a red car in a wooded area in town was stood up by a detective who had agreed to meet with her. The woman had taken a day off from work for the meeting, and was chagrined when the detective first postponed the meeting by three hours and then never showed up or returned calls

http://middletownpress.com/articles/2012/04/01/news/doc4f7802c7908a1515274162.txt

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 09:24:41 AM »

There's a lot of background information in the article you've posted, cartfly.  Thank you for bringing it to us.  I hope the new investigation brings answers and results leading to the remains of Billy Smolinkski, Jr., and justice for him! 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 11:33:19 PM »

There's a lot of background information in the article you've posted, cartfly.  Thank you for bringing it to us.  I hope the new investigation brings answers and results leading to the remains of Billy Smolinkski, Jr., and justice for him! 
You are so welcome Muffy! I came across this somehow also. (The photos come from another fact filled article):

http://waterburyobserver.blogspot.com/2007/12/punch-in-face.html

Photograph of Billy Smolinski and his dog Harley)

(Photograph of Woodbridge politician Chris Sorensen)

So the Smolinskis set up a surveillance operation and videotaped Madeline tearing down the posters. The family would hang them up, and at night Madeline and one of her friends would tear them down. In addition to ripping posters off telephone poles Gleason eventually began slashing Billy’s face on the poster and spray painting “Who cares?”.

Photograph of Billy Smolinski and Madeline Gleason)

(Billy's Mother)

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »

Wow!  "Who Cares"????  I guess that witch found out who cares. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »

Wow!  "Who Cares"????  I guess that witch found out who cares. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 09:07:58 AM »

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/newsnow/x221040637/Missing-mans-family-urges-search-of-Connecticut-town-woods
Missing man's family urges search of Connecticut town woods
April 6, 2012

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012/04/06/news/valley/doc4f7e2383721dd494989595.txt
Shelton woman convinced she saw Billy Smolinski's truck being driven in the woods around time of disappearance (video)
April 6, 2012

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.