March 29, 2024, 09:05:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William ( Billy ) Smolinski, Jr missing since 8/24/2004 from Waterbury CT  (Read 23284 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Investigation-back-on-in-case-of-missing-man-3463959.php
Investigation back on in case of missing man
Frank Juliano
April 6, 2012

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »

http://nhregister.com/articles/2012/04/12/news/doc4f873026f1e8e736674061.txt
Judge considering whether Smolinski family harassed son's ex-girlfriend following his disappearance
April 12, 2012

NEW HAVEN — A judge who is considering whether relatives of missing man William “Billy” Smolinski Jr. of Waterbury harassed his ex-girlfriend zeroed in Thursday on statements the Smolinski family allegedly made to police that they wanted to “break her down.”

Judge Thomas Corradino held a post-trial argument hearing Thursday in Superior Court for the civil case.

“This is a disturbing case, and no matter what I do, it will cause pain and suffering,” Corradino said.

Madeleine Gleason of Woodbridge, who dated Billy until they broke up just prior to his 2004 disappearance, sued his mother, Janice Smolinski of Cheshire, and his sister Paula Bell, in 2006. The lawsuit claims the defendants falsely accused Gleason of involvement in Billy’s disappearance and defamed her. Gleason is seeking monetary damages.

Corradino questioned attorney Mark Lee of Waterbury, who represents the Smolinski family, about an arrest warrant affidavit for Janice Smolinski, which quotes her as saying she was saturating areas where Gleason went with missing person posters about Billy because she was “trying to break” her, so Gleason would “give up information” on her son’s whereabouts.

“How can you say ‘We didn’t put up posters to harass her,’ and then say ‘We are doing it to break her and we think she knows more than she is saying’?” Corradino asked.

Lee told the judge his clients deny it. He pointed to Janice Smolinski’s testimony during the trial, in which she denied ever saying she was trying to break Gleason and called the claim “nonsense.”

During the trial, the family denied harassing or threatening anyone, and said they put up posters about Smolinski, thousands throughout the region, solely to try to find him. The family noticed posters had been taken down, and were shocked to learn Gleason was doing it, according to trial testimony.

Gleason, who did not attend Thursday’s court proceeding, acknowledged during the trial that she ripped down posters about Billy, because they were “saturating” areas where she lived and worked.
 ::snipping2::
While Woodbridge police did ultimately arrest Janice Smolinski on trespassing and disorderly conduct counts, the charges were dismissed in court.

Williams asserted Thursday to the judge that the case caused Gleason “anguish.”

“The plaintiff was tormented to the point of torture,” Williams said.

Testimony in the civil trial before Corradino concluded in December. Corradino indicated Thursday he wants to issue a decision by the end of May, but the deadline is another 120 days, or mid-August.

Police have said they believe Billy Smolinski, who disappeared Aug. 24, 2004, at the age of 31, was murdered. He has never been found.

Police have indicated they believe Gleason’s son, Shaun Karpiuk, killed Smolinski. Karpiuk died in 2005 at age 27 of a drug overdose.
(2 pg. article)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »

What toxic people!

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 02:37:21 PM »

I did a search at the New Haven Register Website on "Billy Smolinski" and found 45 possible results. (not all are in regard to his case)  List of articles or videos by date order at link, for those wanting some background on the case.
http://www.nhregister.com/shared-content/search/index.php?search=go&l=20&s=recent&r=&d1=12-1-2000&d2=today&q=billy+smolinski

I did the same search at Post Website on "Billy Smolinski"  and found 8 possible results. (not all are in regard to his case)  List of articles or videos by date order at link.
http://www.ctpost.com/search/?action=search&channel=home&search=1&firstRequest=1&query=billy+smolinski&x=37&y=6&searchindex=property
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:41:58 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 01:31:21 PM »

Connecticut to seek reimbursement from suspect in Smolinski missing person searches
Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:10 AM EDT

DERBY — The state wants Chad Hanson, who has led police to conduct unsuccessful searches for the body of William “Billy” Smolinski Jr. of Waterbury, to reimburse the cost.

Meanwhile, the Smolinski family is planning to appeal a recent civil ruling against them, and they have set up a legal defense fund.

During Hanson’s brief appearance in Superior Court in Derby Friday, prosecutor Marjorie Sozanski told Judge Burton Kaplan officials are still trying to find out the exact amount investigators spent searching for Smolinski.

Hanson’s case was continued to Sept. 25. He faces charges of interfering with an officer, second-degree false statement, and making a false report concerning injury or death, for leading state police to conduct an unsuccessful 10-day search in Oxford, near Prokop Road and Woodruff Hill Road, for Smolinski’s body in October 2011. Hanson is incarcerated, being held in lieu of $10,000 bail.

Hanson, of Seymour, has also given information to police that led to unsuccessful searches in Seymour in 2008 and in the Naugatuck State Forest in 2010.

According to the June 2012 arrest warrant affidavit, Hanson told police he helped Shaun Karpiuk, who has since died, bury Smolinski. Hanson reported to police he helped bury a carpet with Smolinski’s remains inside and covered it with lime. The warrant shows Hanson also claimed he wasn’t aware what was inside the carpet, “but he could tell it was probably a body and he’ll never forget the smell of blood.”

After the unsuccessful Oxford search, Hanson “admitted that he had an idea Billy was in the rug and that he knows for a fact that Shaun killed Billy with a 16 oz. hammer,” the warrant states.

http://middletownpress.com/articles/2012/08/19/news/doc5030747f5f99e638916662.txt
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

Families of missing persons rally to support Smolinski family's appeal
August 19, 2012

This Friday will mark eight years since Waterbury, Connecticut, resident Billy Smolinski disappeared without a trace. To mark this date, his family and friends are making last-minute preparations for a butterfly release and candelight vigil next Sunday in Town Green, Naugatuck. Several high-profile figures will be speaking at the vigil, including the Police Chief, a state Representative, and several victims’ advoctates. Word is spreading throughout the tight-knit community, and on the Internet, as fliers are distributed to promote the event.

However, as irony would have it, a few hundred fliers – not altogether different from the ones being distributed for the vigil – have suddenly catapaulted Billy Smolinski’s family into the biggest legal battle of their lives, as they prepare to appeal a recent court decision rendered against them.

However, as a result of distributing those fliers to find answers to their son’s disappearence, the Smolinskis may now have to pay more than $52,000 to Billy’s former girlfriend.

Madeleine Gleason, the former girlfriend of Billy Smolinski, has successfully sued the missing man’s mother and sister for defamation and harassment, stemming from the location of those “missing” fliers. Gleason, a bus driver, claims she suffered “extreme emotional distress”, defamation of character, and harassment, as a result of the fliers being hung on telephone poles along her bus route. Gleason’s employer also initially filed a joint complaint seeking monetary damages against the Smolinskis, claiming the fliers were affecting the company’s business; however, the bus company dropped their portion of the suit prior to the hearing.

Earlier this month, a CT Court Judge ruled in favor of Gleason, and awarded her $52,666 in damages. Within minutes of the ruling, advocates, friends, and families of other missing people began a massive public effort requesting the ruling be appealed by the family’s attorney, and overturned by the Connecticut State Supreme Court. The appeal must be filed no later than August 30th, and the Smolinski family does intend to contest the ruling.

http://www.examiner.com/article/families-of-missing-persons-rally-to-support-smolinski-family-s-appeal-1
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »

Misguided searches mire Smolinski case Last Updated on
Wednesday, 22 August 2012 12:33

Eight years ago this week, Billy Smolinski of Waterbury disappeared. He would be 39 years old now, and the search for Smolinski has taken investigators into the Valley region again and again over the years.

Smolinski’s family believe he was murdered, and police consider the case a homicide.

Seymour resident Chad Hanson, 33, who appeared in Derby Superior Court on Aug. 17, has led state police on fruitless searches in Seymour, Shelton and Oxford over the past five years.

He’s charged with interfering, making false statement in the second degree and falsely reporting an incident concerning serious physical injury or death.

Judge Burton Kaplan continued Hanson’s case to Sept. 25, so the state can investigate the cost of the searches.

http://www.huntingtonherald.com/news/huntington-featured-stories/local-news/96917-misguided-search-mires-smolinski-case.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »

Candlelight Vigil On Naugatuck Green Marks Eight-Year Nightmare For Smolinski family
Mon, 08/27/2012 - 11:29

Eight years after Billy Smolinski vanished from Waterbury, Connecticut, his family continues to seek answers to what transpired on the night of August 24th, 2004. Billy was involved in a love triangle and had left a threatening message on the voice mail of his male rival. It was the last telephone call he ever made.

When Billy disappearred his family immediately reached out to the Waterbury Police Department for help. They were told to wait for three days, and even then the local police were sluggish to investigate the disappearance of an adult missing male. Terrified, the Smolinskis organized their own search parties and hung thousands of missing person flyers all across western Connecticut. When hundrds of posters were vandalized and destroyed in and around Woodbridge, the Smolinskis entered the lion's den. They discovered that Billy's former girlfriend, Madeline Gleason, was the person destroying the posters. Woodbridge was where Gleason worked, and was the home of the married politician, Chris Sorensen, who had been the other male in the love triangle.

Janice Smolinski was later arrested for hanging missing person flyers in Woodbridge, and was later sued for harassment by Madeline Gleason, who shockingly just won a $52,000 award in New Haven Superior Court against the Smolinski family.

http://www.waterburyobserver.org/node/1216
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »

Backwards Verdict In Smolinski Civil Trial
Sat, 09/08/2012 - 08:16

While much of Connecticut enjoyed another glorious summer day in New England, I spent most of mine trying not to vomit as I closely read through the verdict in the civil trial between Madeline Gleason and the Smolinski family. The lawsuit, filed by a named suspect in the disappearance of Billy Smolinski, took six years, tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and three days in court. After all of this, Superior Court Judge Thomas Corradino ordered Janice Smolinski and Paula Bell to pay Madeline Gleason $52,000 in damages for allegedly harassing her, defaming her, and falsely accusing Gleason of having anything to do with the disappearance of Billy Smolinski.

Judge Corradino declared the Smolinskis conduct to be so outrageous in character, and so extreme in degree, as to go beyond all possible bounds of decency, and to be regarded as atrocious and utterly intolerable in a civilized community.

http://www.waterburyobserver.org/node/1247
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »

This is just so wrong.  It just makes me sick to think that not only have the Smolinski family been denied justice, they also have now been punished for trying to find answers.  Again, what is this world coming to?

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 05:11:01 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/#!/janice.smolinski.9
Chad Hanson signed a written statement saying Shaun Kipurik (Madeline's son) killed Billy by hitting him in the head with a hammer, Chad then poured Lime of him, rolled him in a blue carpet and buried Billy. He speaks of the smell of blood.
 Derby courthouse MONDAY 10 AM new judge, this will be judgement day continuances been going on since last June, way to long. See you in court Chad we will be in the same seats. Tell the police the truth where is my son???
 https://www.facebook.com/wings.ofjustice.1

Chad's court date has been postponed until December 5th ...9 days to wait.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:16:41 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »

http://nhregister.com/articles/2012/12/05/news/doc50bfb47428101034810419.txt
Alleged conspirator in Billy Smolinski case throws tantrum over plea offer (document)
December 5, 2012

DERBY — A man accused of lying to police about the location of missing man William “Billy” Smolinski’s body swore and threw a tantrum in Superior Court Wednesday, after he learned a plea bargain offer was for more prison time than he had anticipated.

Prior to being brought out to appear before Judge Frank Iannotti, Chad Hanson made repeated loud banging sounds in a prisoner holding room adjacent to the courtroom. Iannotti briefly stopped court proceedings to chastise Hanson.

Once Hanson was brought before the judge, Hanson said his understanding after his last court appearance was that an offer would be made for him to serve three years in prison in exchange for pleading out.

However, Hanson learned Wednesday the plea bargain offer would be for him to serve five years. This would have meant another 4½ years, because Hanson has already been incarcerated for six months since his arrest.

Iannotti, who was recently assigned to Superior Court in Derby, told Hanson he has learned more about the case since Hanson’s last court appearance.

“I spent too much time reading,” Iannotti said. “There was more I should have known about the case.”

Hanson is due back in court Jan. 14. The judge advised Hanson that if he is convicted at trial, he could face up to seven years in prison.

Hanson, after he was led back into the prisoner holding room, loudly yelled, “Get this (expletive) party started.”

Prosecutor Marjorie Sozanski said the state is seeking to have Hanson reimburse it for the cost of the unsuccessful searching, or about $100,000.
Janice and William Smolinski Sr. of Cheshire attended the court proceeding. Their son’s remains have never been found.

“The last time we were in court, the judge said he needed to read more about it,” Janice Smolinski said. “My hope is that maybe now, Chad will come forward and tell the truth. We’ll be back here on Jan. 14, which was Billy’s birthday.”
More...

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 03:40:43 AM »

Smolinskis frustrated by delay in search for son’s body at Beacon Falls site

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20140719/smolinskis-frustrated-by-delay-in-search-for-sons-body-at-beacon-falls-site

7-19-14
It has been more than 10 weeks since two dogs trained to detect cadavers alerted searchers to a location of interest in the case of missing Waterbury man William “Billy” Smolinski Jr.

However, police have not yet done a search of the property, public land in Beacon Falls, to see if Smolinski’s remains are there.

Smolinski’s family members, who have been waiting almost a decade for his body to be found, said this week the delay is “frustrating.”

In early May, his parents, William and Janice Smolinski of Cheshire, went with a cadaver canine, Murphy, and the dog’s handler, Debbie Monde, animal control officer in Newington and Wethersfield and owner of K9 Solutions of CT, to check locations of interest in the Valley.

It was in Beacon Falls where Murphy sat at a spot near a body of water and barked, to indicate that he had picked up a scent. A second dog was then brought in, and it sat and barked close to where Murphy had alerted.

The Smolinskis chose to check that particular location based on a prison tip that seemed credible, Janice Smolinski said. The family has asked that the exact location remain undisclosed.
  MUCH more at the link...the site is hard for me to navigate (slow) but the whole article is interesting. May they find his remains and      be served.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 01:08:47 PM »

ITA, Nut!  I hope Billy's remains can be recovered and justice served. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 03:29:39 PM »

http://www.westhartfordnews.com/articles/2014/10/12/news/doc543714b2f0425724536610.txt
Connecticut State Police join CUE Center tour
October 12, 2014

A national event designed to bring attention to missing person cases will include a rally in Connecticut.

The CUE Center for Missing Persons, which is based in North Carolina, is organizing the 11th Annual National “On the Road to Remember” tour for missing persons the week of Oct. 10-8.

The tour will include about 22 rallies in several states. The Connecticut event is Sunday, Oct. 12, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., at the Connecticut State Police Museum & Educational Center, 294 Colony St., Meriden.

“It is to honor the families of the missing, and it is meant to help revive cold cases,” said Donna Gore, who is coordinating the Connecticut event.

A few families of missing Connecticut residents have indicated they will be participating so far, such as relatives of William Smolinski Jr. of Waterbury, Evelyn Frisco of New Haven, Bernadine Paul of Waterbury and Mary Badaracco of Sherman, according to Gore.

“We want more families of the missing to come,” Gore said. “It is the families’ time to tell their story to everyone.”

Gore noted these families often are left not knowing what happened to their loved one for a prolonged period of time.

The local rally will feature exhibit tables, information, and guest speakers. A van with pictures of missing people from around the country will be there too.

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.