March 28, 2024, 07:14:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman admits selling 2 kids for 1 bird, $175  (Read 2926 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: February 23, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35537878/ns/us_news-weird_news/?GT1=43001

Woman admits selling 2 kids for 1 bird, $175
52-year-old Louisiana resident sentenced to 15 months of hard labor

February 23, 2010

Donna Louise Greenwell, 53, is shown in this handout booking photo.

VILLE PLATTE, La. - A 52-year-old Louisiana woman has pleaded guilty to two counts of sale of a minor for trading two children to a couple in exchange for an exotic pet bird and $175.

Donna Louise Greenwell received 15 months of hard labor on each count on Monday, which she will serve concurrently.

The Evangeline Parish Clerk of Court's Office tells The Advocate newspaper that Greenwell will begin serving her sentence March 25.
The couple, Paul James Romero and Brandy Lynn Romero, each pleaded guilty to the same charges in October.

Greenwell was accused of selling the couple a 4-year-old girl and 5-year-old boy in return for the cash and a cockatoo. Both children were in Greenwell's care after their biological parents had left them with her.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:48:51 AM »

No justice here....... IMO

A Louisiana woman who pleaded guilty to selling two children in exchange for a pet bird and $175, has been sentenced.

Donna Louise Greenwell, 52, was convicted on two counts of sale of a minor and sentenced to 15 months of hard labor on each count Monday, Feb. 22.

According to records from the Evangeline Parish Clerk of Court's Office, Louise will begin serving her sentence March 25. The sentences will run concurrently.

Paul Romero, left, gave $175 and a pet bird to Donna Greenwell, right, in exchange for two children
Photo: AP

Paul James Romero and Brandy Lynn Romero, who bought the children from Greenwell, both pleaded guilty to the same charges last October. Each agreed to have their five-year prison sentence suspended for testifying against Greenwell.

Greenwell met the Romeros after she answered an advertisement the couple ran for a pet cockatoo. The couple was asking $1,500 for the exotic bird. Greenwell agreed to buy the pet and offered the two children as part of payment.

After the children began living with the Romeros, an anonymous tipster called police. The Romero's and Greenwell later admitted to the illegal transaction.

Capt. Keith Dupre of the Evangeline Parrish Sheriff's Office said the children were not harmed by the Romero's and were well taken care of. The couple reportedly wanted children badly and had trouble conceiving.

http://www.examiner.com/cultural-oddities-in-national/woman-sentenced-for-trading-children-for-exotic-bird-175

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 10:23:46 AM »

It looks like the only one with brains in this case was the cockatoo,  Talk about bird brains!   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:15:45 PM »

I pray it it is true that the children weren't harmed!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »

I pray it it is true that the children weren't harmed!

I too hope the children weren't harmed.   an angelic monkey

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.