March 28, 2024, 09:46:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NJ Man Says He Tossed His Baby Girl From Bridge into the Raritan River  (Read 10585 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: February 18, 2010, 03:02:27 PM »

Police: NJ Man Says He Tossed Baby From Bridge
Updated: 19 hours 16 minutes ago

New Jersey police are searching for Zara Malani-Lin Abdur-Raheem, pictured here, after her father told authorities he threw the 3-month-old girl off a bridge.

(Feb. 17) -- New Jersey police were searching for a baby whose father allegedly told authorities he threw the 3-month-old girl from a highway bridge into the Raritan River.

Authorities said 21-year-old Shamsiddin Abdur-Raheem kidnapped his daughter, Zara Malani-Lin Abdur-Raheem, from her grandmother in East Orange on Tuesday and then fled the area with the infant.

"Shortly after 4 p.m. yesterday, Abdur-Raheem allegedly entered into the grandmother's apartment and struck the grandmother in the face, did a choking hold on her and then, we understand, Abdur-Raheem allegedly took the infant girl and left the apartment," said Acting Attorney General Paula T. Dow.

Following the alleged assault, the grandmother attempted to stop Abdur-Raheem from leaving by standing in front of his vehicle, Dow said.

"The defendant allegedly attempted to run her down, striking her, and then left the area," Dow said. "The attack was reported to East Orange [police], who issued a bulletin to all law enforcement agencies regarding the child."

At about 8 p.m., a family member of Abdur-Raheem's contacted police and reported his location. Shortly thereafter, Abdur-Raheem was taken into police custody in Winslow Township.

Police said Abdur-Raheem told them he had thrown Zara from the Garden State Parkway's Driscoll Bridge, which spans the Raritan River between Sayreville and Woodbridge.

Dow said there was "credible information" to make authorities believe the father's story.

Police searched the area beneath the bridge and the banks of the river Tuesday but found no sign of the baby. The search continued today. In addition to search-and-rescue crews, authorities were using boats, helicopters and dogs to assist in the search.

Dow said Abdur-Raheem did not have custody of Zara and is not married to the child's mother. Before the incident, the mother had obtained a restraining order against Abdur-Raheem but it had not been served at the time of the alleged kidnapping, Dow said.

Abdur-Raheem has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault and one count each of first-degree kidnapping, second-degree endangering the welfare of a child and first-degree attempted murder.

"The first-degree charges have a possible sentence of 10 to 20 years, except in the case of kidnapping in which there is a max of 30 years," acting Essex County prosecutor Robert Laurino said. "Second-degree offenses carry a term of five to 10 years."

Abdur-Raheem was being held on a $700,000 bond. He was scheduled to be arraigned Thursday in Essex County Superior Court.

The missing infant was reported to be wearing a green outfit and may have been wrapped in a blue sleeping bag. Anyone with information in the case is asked to contact police at (732) 264-4150.
http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/shamsiddin-abdur-raheem-allegedly-says-he-threw-baby-daughter-from-nj-bridge/19362641

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:41:07 PM »

N.J. State Police resume search for infant allegedly thrown from Parkway Bridge
By The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk
February 18, 2010, 5:15AM

The father of Zara Malani-Lin Abdur-Raheem, left, told police he threw the 3-month-old girl from the Garden State Parkway's Driscoll Bridge Tuesday night. State Police will continue to search the river today with boats, right.

MIDDLESEX COUNTY -- Aviation and marine crews from the New Jersey State Police planned to resume the search this morning for a three-month old East Orange girl who was allegedly thrown from the Driscoll Bridge Tuesday by her 21-year-old father after he ripped the infant from her grandmother's arms.

State Police suspended their efforts to rescue Zara Malani-Lin Abdur-Raheem around 5 p.m. last night, said Sgt. Julian Castellanos, but they will continue searching the Raritan River for the missing child at 8:30 this morning. The
three month old was allegedly taken from her grandmother's arms inside a South Harrison Street apartment Tuesday afternoon when authorities say Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem assaulted the elderly woman, punching and choking her before snatching his daughter and speeding off in his car. The 21-year-old also may have struck the elderly women with the vehicle during his flight.

After allegedly dropping his daughter in the river, Abdur-Raheem drove to an Atlantic City mosque, Masjid Muhammad, and confessed to an imam, according to authorities and the suspect’s father, Muhsin Abdur-Raheem. Abdur-Raheem then traveled to another mosque in Camden County and, ultimately, to his father’s home in Winslow. It was Muhsin Abdur-Raheem who notified police his son was there.

The 21-year-old then told local police he pulled over on the Driscoll Bridge sometime during rush hour, and dropped his infant daughter into the icy Raritan River.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/02/state_police_resume_search_for.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:54:16 PM »

Oh, this is just so mean and so cruel.  Poor little innocent child.   And the Grandma that he punched, kicked and choked...poor lady.  It must just be breaking her heart  that her granddaughter Zara was thrown from a bridge     

I hope little Zara can be recovered and given a decent burial.  an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:00:33 PM »

this is so sickening! I just don't understand people creatures who can do such a thing to an innocent little child...they should throw him over the bridge with his hands and feet bound...let him see how it feels to die like that! an eye for an eye....sorry if this offends anyone...wait, no I'm not...that is truly how I feel...

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »

That does not offend me...if I were in charge of the law, an eye for an eye would be justice served in every case.

Anyway...now he takes it back and pleads not guilty Rolling Eyes

Gloucester County Times (New Jersey) 
February 19, 2010 Friday 

Father denies tossing infant 

Acting Attorney General Paula Dow Monday ordered an investigation into why four hours passed without an Amber Alert being issued for the baby girl abducted by her father, then apparently tossed into the Raritan River.

The order came the same day the father, 21-year-old Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem, was arraigned in Superior Court in Newark on kidapping and other charges.

"The attorney general instructed the State Police to take a closer look at the timeline and to see if there needs to be some tweaking of the Amber Alert," said Paul Loriquet, spokesman for the attorney general.

The Amber Alert program sends out an emergency notification to the public when a child has been abducted and its life is believed to be in danger.

Authorities have said East Orange police were not ready to post an Amber Alert for Zara Malani-Lin Abdur-Raheem until 8 p.m. Tuesday, four hours after she was taken. By that time, Abdur-Raheem was in custody, telling police that he had pulled over on the Garden State Parkway and thrown his daughter into the river from the Driscoll Bridge in Middlesex County.

State Police continued their search Monday for the infant.

Abdur-Raheem pleaded not guilty Monday to charges he kidnapped his daughter from her grandmother's East Orange apartment. He is being held on $700,000 cash bail in Essex County Jail.

Authorities said he went to the grandmother's home, attacked the woman, Leno Benjamin, then grabbed his daughter and ran to a minivan. Leno Benjamin tried to stop him, but Abdur-Raheem struck her with the vehicle, police said.

He was charged with aggravated assault and attempted murder, for attacking Leno Benjamin, and with kidnapping and endangering the welfare of a child.

The child's mother, Venetta Benjamin, had obtained a temporary restraining order against Abdur-Raheem Tuesday morning. After abducting his daughter that afternoon, Abdur-Raheem drove to a mosque in Atlantic County and eventually to his father's house in Camden County, authorities have said.

His father, Muhsin Raheem, also questioned why the Amber Alert wasn't issued.

"They could have caught him on the Parkway," the father said.

But Bob Hoever, an Amber Alert expert at the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, said authorities have to assess whether they have sufficient information to issue an alert. Without it, he said, "you will wind up not helping the investigation."

Initially, East Orange police believed they were responding to an assault case, and weren't able to talk to Leno Benjamin until after she was treated at University Hospital in Newark. Only when officers finally spoke to her did they "get information that there could be some harm to the girl by the father," he said. 
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1130571611&start=3
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:17:13 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:37:10 PM »

thanks Nut..

where is the baby then?

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 04:51:48 PM »

Apparently in the river....they have not found her body yet.

Father of Missing NJ Baby Charged With Murder

Published: February 24, 2010
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- A New Jersey man who allegedly told police he threw his 3-month-old daughter off a bridge into an icy river was charged Wednesday with her murder.

Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem, of Galloway Township, pleaded not guilty last week to charges including the attempted murder of the child's maternal grandmother. Police say he assaulted the woman at her East Orange apartment and ripped the child from her arms on Feb. 16, the same day the girl's mother sought a restraining order against him.

Attorney General Paula Dow said the search for the baby was ongoing. Despite the lack of a body, there was enough evidence to corroborate Abdur-Raheem's account and to file the first-degree murder charge.

''While our ongoing exhaustive search has not located the victim, we are moving forward with our investigation and our pursuit of justice in this tragic case of domestic violence,'' Dow said in a statement.

A message left for the public defender's office, which has been representing Abdur-Raheem, was not immediately returned.

Abdur-Raheem remains in the Essex County jail. His bail has been increased to $2 million on the new charge, which was filed in Middlesex County and carries a possible sentence of 30 years to life in prison.

The search for the baby, Zara Malani-lin Abdur, has centered around the Garden State Parkway's Driscoll Bridge, which spans the Raritan River between Sayreville and Woodbridge.

The child's mother, Venetta Benjamin, had sole custody and had left the infant in her mother's care while she sought a restraining order against Abdur-Raheem in a Newark court.

Abdur-Raheem allegedly abducted the child from her grandmother's home, striking the woman with his van as she attempted to block his escape, authorities said in a court complaint. Abdur-Raheem headed south, parking his vehicle on the southbound shoulder of the highway before pushing or throwing the baby from the front passenger window and into the river, authorities said.

The case prompted the attorney general's office to review state guidelines for the issuance of Amber Alerts.

An Amber Alert, issued by law enforcement and distributed through emergency broadcasting networks, are meant to alert the public and seek their help in child-abduction cases. They are not routinely issued in custody disputes or parental abduction cases.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/02/24/us/AP-US-Missing-Baby-Bridge.html

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »

thanks for the update Nut...

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 06:56:33 PM »

N.J. Amber Alert review prompted by baby kidnapping is in final stage

March 01, 2010
Changes in the statewide Amber Alert system remain "a work in progress" but are in the final stage, said a spokesman for the state Attorney General’s office, as the man whose case prompted the review pleaded not guilty today to killing his infant daughter.

A draft of the recommended changes to the system that issues an alert whenever a child is abducted was sent to the State Police for review, spokesman Paul Loriquet said. The new guidelines, he said, would lift some of the current restrictions on issuing alerts when a parent abducts a child.

Attorney General Paula Dow called for an investigation two weeks ago after it took four hours to issue an Amber Alert after a man allegedly abducted his infant daughter then dropped the baby from the Driscoll Bridge into the Raritan River in Sayreville.

Under the current system, an emergency alert is broadcast when a child has been abducted and believed to be in grave danger, but that doesn’t generally include family cases of child abduction or child custody, according to the State Police.

The abduction of Zara Malini-Lin Abdur-Raheem, allegedly by her father, Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem, on Feb. 16, may change that.

Today, Abdur-Raheem, 21, of Galloway Township, entered a plea of not guilty in New Brunswick by video from the Essex County jail to charges he murdered his daughter.

Abdur-Raheem told authorities after his arrest on Feb. 16 that he threw the infant over the bridge on his way south. The baby’s body has not been found despite an intensive four-day search.

Loriquet said the search for the infant has "been scaled back," but is still ongoing under the direction of the State Police.

Neither Abdur-Raheem’s mother, who would not give her name, nor Vanetta Benjamin, the baby’s mother, would comment after the hearing.

Abdur-Raheem, who is being held at the Essex County Jail, has been on suicide watch there since Thursday, authorities said.

He has also pleaded not guilty in Essex County to kidnapping, aggravated assault and attempted murder for allegedly attacking the child’s grandmother, who was babysitting the infant when she was taken.

Authorities said Abdur-Raheem barged into the grandmother’s East Orange apartment, grabbed the baby, assaulted the grandmother who tried to prevent him from taking the child, and took off. He eventually surrendered after speaking with his Imam and his father, who called police, authorities said.

Deputy Attorney General Andrew C. Fried said no decision has yet been made on whether Abdur-Raheem’s trial would be held in Middlesex or Essex County.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/03/update_on_amber_alert_system_d.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 06:50:03 PM »

Body near river may be baby thrown from bridge
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Last Updated: April 24, 2010 6:32pm

SAYREVILLE, N.J. — A body found near a New Jersey river may be that of a 3-month-old girl who police say was thrown off a highway bridge by her father earlier this year.

Sgt. Stephen Jones says clothes and wrappings in which the child were found Saturday are consistent with the descriptions given of 3-month-old Zara Malani-Lin Abdur-Raheem. But he says the baby is considered unidentified until DNA testing or other means can prove her identity.

Police say the baby’s father, Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem, confessed that he threw the infant off a bridge Feb. 16. They say Abdur-Raheem had snatched the baby from her grandmother’s arms several hours earlier while the child’s mother was in court getting a restraining order against him.

Abdur-Raheem has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/2010/04/24/13708356.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »

Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem appears via video conference in a New Jersey court

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 07:16:03 PM »

Autopsy: Infant girl found in river died from drowning
By JOSHUA BURD • STAFF WRITER • April 26, 2010

WOODBRIDGE — Investigators were still awaiting DNA tests to confirm that the body found in the Raritan River on Saturday is the 3-month-old girl who was allegedly thrown from the Driscoll Bridge by her father more than two months ago, authorities said.

The investigation continued as an autopsy on Sunday determined that the infant died by drowning, state police Sgt. Stephen Jones said Monday. A worker found the girl's body at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday on the southern bank of the Raritan River in Sayreville.

Officials believe the body is that of Zara Malani-Lin Abdur-Raheem because of the clothing and wrappings in which she was found, Jones said.

Her father remains in custody. He faces a host of charges, including murder and kidnapping, in connection with the series of events on Feb. 16. Authorities say Shamsiddin Abdur-Raheem, 21, abducted Zara after punching, choking and trying to run down the baby's 60-year-old maternal grandmother at her East Orange home.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20100426/NEWS/4260353/-1/newsfront/Autopsy-Infant-girl-found-in-river-died-from-drowning

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 08:40:28 AM »

they should  hog tie this idiot and throw his nasty arse in the river and see how he does! an eye for an eye I say!

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 06:16:38 PM »

they should  hog tie this idiot and throw his nasty arse in the river and see how he does! an eye for an eye I say!

Cookie, oh maybe not.  How about hog tie, leave him dangling head first in the water for a minute, bring him up for a minute, and then back in again, over and over and over and over and over -- each and every day until . . .

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »

Cookie, oh maybe not.  How about hog tie, leave him dangling head first in the water for a minute, bring him up for a minute, and then back in again, over and over and over and over and over -- each and every day until . . .

oh Sister! great idea! would pay money to see that happen!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »

Mother of baby thrown into Raritan River plans to sue East Orange police for turning down restraining order

By Sharon Adarlo/The Star-Ledger
May 02, 2010, 8:00AM

The mother of the 3-month-old infant who was allegedly kidnapped and tossed into the Raritan River by her father has notified East Orange police she intends to file a lawsuit because they turned her away from filing a restraining order against the father a day before the abduction.

Venetta Benjamin, the 23-year-old mother, contends that if the restraining order was filed against her estranged 21-year-old boyfriend, Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem, then their child Zara Malani-Lin Abdur-Raheem would not have come to harm.

"He had respect for authority, but no respect for Venetta," said attorney Mitchell Liebowitz, who is representing Benjamin along with attorney John Kemenczy in West Caldwell.

East Orange police declined comment on the case because it is pending litigation.

"We will be as cooperative as possible during the process," said Mayor Robert L. Bowser, who would not comment further on the case as well.

On Feb. 15, Benjamin went to East Orange police to file a restraining order against Abdur-Raheem, according to the notice of claim. Benjamin had recently moved out of their Galloway Township home and was living at the East Orange apartment of her mother, Leno Benjamin, at the time.

But because it was President’s Day, a holiday, Venetta Benjamin claims police turned her away and told her to file the next day even though she told them she had previously filed a temporary restraining order in 2008 and her boyfriend had a history of abuse.

The order was issued the next day but was never served, Liebowitz said.

That same day, Abdur-Raheem barged into the East Orange home of Benjamin’s mother, attacked the 60-year old, grabbed the child, and then struck the woman with a minivan as she tried to stop him, authorities have said.

Abdur-Raheem allegedly told police when he was arrested later at his father’s home in Winslow Township, Camden County, that he had pulled over on the Garden State Parkway and tossed the infant off the Driscoll Bridge into the icy river below, according to officials from the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office. Divers searched the area for several days but did not find the baby.

Benjamin and family hoped that the baby was alive. She said officials told her that investigators were looking at whether Abdur-Raheem smuggled the infant to the Middle East.

But on the morning of April 24, the body of an infant was discovered by people doing survey work on the southern bank of the Raritan River in Sayreville — near the Driscoll Bridge, State Police said.

DNA testing was still ongoing yesterday, but Benjamin said she is sure that the baby is Zara because the infant recently found was wearing green pajamas — the same clothing her baby wore at the time of her abduction.

Abdur-Raheem was charged with kidnapping and attempted murder in Essex County for allegedly injuring Leno Benjamin. He has also been charged with murder in Middlesex County.

Abdur-Raheem was being held in protective custody on $2.7 million bail at the Essex County jail, officials said.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/05/mother_of_baby_thrown_into_rar.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 03:18:03 PM »

DNA shows baby's body found in Raritan River was girl thrown over bridge by father
Dad remains in custody on charges of killing baby Zara
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20100503/NEWS/100503037/-1/newsfront/DNA-shows-baby-s-body-found-in-Raritan-River-was-girl-thrown-over-bridge-by-father

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 04:54:32 PM »

NJ dad pleads not guilty in baby's bridge death
(AP) – 2 hours ago

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. — A New Jersey father accused of tossing his 3-month-old daughter to her death off a bridge has pleaded not guilty.

Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem entered his plea Tuesday in a New Brunswick courtroom. He is charged with murder and five other counts related to the infant's abduction and death.

Prosecutors say Abdur-Raheem parked along the shoulder of the Garden State Parkway and threw or dropped the infant off the Driscoll Bridge into the icy Raritan River in February.

Zara Malani-Lin Abdur-Raheem's body was found along the banks of the river in April.

The 22-year-old Galloway Township resident also faces attempted murder charges for allegedly assaulting the baby's maternal grandmother.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ixCbTefcwbia2ApD7CcJu6ww-VpgD9I7RLN81

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »

NJ dad pleads not guilty in baby's bridge death
(AP) – 2 hours ago

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. — A New Jersey father accused of tossing his 3-month-old daughter to her death off a bridge has pleaded not guilty.

Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem entered his plea Tuesday in a New Brunswick courtroom. He is charged with murder and five other counts related to the infant's abduction and death.

Prosecutors say Abdur-Raheem parked along the shoulder of the Garden State Parkway and threw or dropped the infant off the Driscoll Bridge into the icy Raritan River in February.

Zara Malani-Lin Abdur-Raheem's body was found along the banks of the river in April.

The 22-year-old Galloway Township resident also faces attempted murder charges for allegedly assaulting the baby's maternal grandmother.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ixCbTefcwbia2ApD7CcJu6ww-VpgD9I7RLN81

Not guilty . . . just why or why can't this POS at least have the ba##s to admit what he did!  Oh right, that would mean taking responsibility!!!!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 03:22:16 PM »

Yup....cracks me up when they say they did it, then plead not guilty Rolling Eyes

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.